“Beautiful Island”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Grand Anse
Peterborough, Canada
“Beautiful Island”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed Jan 14-21 2013. This is a great resort. Service is fantadtic. Food tasty. Beaches wonderful. Room very clean. Lots of walking as resort is spread out, but we like this. Plenty of wildlife. Driving around was easy and safe. We will definately be back. Buy spices and chocolate. And please tip staff they will treat you like royalty.

Room Tip: Ask for beach front room.
3 Thank R J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I had a beach front view, which I would recommend highly. Stayed here for several days with my sister for a relaxing getaway, and couldn't recommend it more. The hotel staff are the nicest, most kind and helpful people. Several times we asked for local recommendations on where to go and what to do and they were excited and happy to help us enjoy the area. Locals were beyond friendly, everyone stopping to say hello. The beach and pools are breath-taking.

Anyone who is complaining about the service should be embarrassed by themselves. First, yes, it is "slow" but you have to remember it's Caribbean time...nothing is rushed and sometimes you have to ask twice for something, but I found that to be the case on the entire island. Second, as I mentioned above, each and every single person I spoke to was beyond helpful and nice to us...you just have to take the minutes you spend complaining and rushing around to stop and get to know the people who are serving you. Take a moment and be kind, and they were more than happy to be of assistance. For the price, location, staff and beach, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LM802
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Check in at the Grand Beach Resort was a nightmare. Not only did they think that I had cancelled my reservation, but they showed me 3 or 4 rooms that were not acceptable, and were clearly not close to my reservation. The staff here is not helpful. They may eventually get the job done, but only after several phone calls, a talk with a 'manager' and some conversation with Charmayne, the owner of Insight Travel. She was the only one who seemed to be able to get things done.

The room I had was a first floor one bedroom suite, but it was just an ordinary room: tile floor, very poor room lighting, average living room furniture, a TV that didn't work (the TV in the bedroom worked fine), mysterious water leaking onto the dining room floor, sliding glass doors in the living that didn't close all the way, a lizard that appeared and disappeared, a sink drain that was either always closed or always open but not both and a great view of the beach. The bathroom was very large and I enjoyed the spa tub nightly. There are many mosquitos here so do not forget your bug spray. I got eaten up during my check in troubles and am still suffering from the bites. Ugh.

If you really need something done, you must be persistent. Hotel staff would be very sympathetic on the phone and then never show up to fix the problem. The property is very pretty, but when I took my ticket to the front desk to get beach towels, I was told there weren't any. While that is annoying but perhaps understandable, I wasn't ever told when there would be towels and no one offered to bring me one when they were ready.

There is a grocery store right across the street, so I ate local fruits and vegetables as my room had a small refrigerator. I was told not to walk on the beach at night because it would not be safe. I took taxi's around the island or hired a private car; Charmayne made that happen without a hitch.

The chocolate plantation was delightful to visit, as was the essential oils plant. The waterfalls in the rainforest are lovely. I will not come back to this island of mosquitos, gorgeous Grand Anse beach, good local cuisine, and sometimes friendly locals. There are other Caribbean islands that have it all and that aren't so difficult to get to.

Room Tip: Specify ground floor when making your reservations, and insist upon it when you check in.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Christmas2010
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My title pretty much says it all, but to elaborate . . .

-Grand Anse beach is gorgeous, particularly when its not packed with cruise ship passengers.

- The property is fine . . .hardly a luxury property, though. Our room was spacious and generally well maintained, with the exception of the bathroom which was in need of a serious makeover (shower head and bath knobs falling out of their "sockets", toilet constantly breaking, tiles looking quite dingy). However, the room didn't have any real character to it so don't expect your room to "set the tone" for a tropical vacation.

- The service. Oh the service. Just terrible. And not because of 1 or 2 bad experiences, but because it felt like EVERYONE at the resort (with the possible exception of a few friendly bellmen) did not want you to be there and certainly did not want to help you. We stayed for 8 days and it literally got to the point after 3 days where we took almost all of our meals and drinks off property for the remainder of the trip. At every one of the hotels restaurants and bars, the staff would literally ignore you or pretend to be pre-occupied with something at the cash register (that required every attendant in that establishments attention) EVERY single time we turned up. And, despite the fact that we were there over the holidays, there was almost never any one at the restaurants so being ignored came across as deliberate). We literally just wanted to place an order and be on our way and yet this seemed like an impossible task at the Grenada Grand. And when we finally did place an order, inevitably something always went wrong. Literally every time for the first 3 days - they would give us something that we did not order, or mess up on the bill, or just forget to place an order altogether. It got to the point where it began to feel comical because it just didn't seem possible that all of the F&B staff would be batting a 0. And all of this hassle for food that was mediocre, at best.

And, lest you think that we are particularly needy or difficult to please customers, I would also like to note that we made friends with 3 other couples staying at the hotel and they all noted that they were experiencing the same rudeness and deficiencies in service.

All in all, once we wrapped our minds around taking service out of the equation, we had a lovely trip to Grenada. But, as your hotel experience should generally be a part of enhancing your vacation and facilitating relaxation, I would caution any one staying here to set expectations appropriately. Or just to not stay here at all. I know we certainly won't be going back.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is the way to go if you choose to stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bridget0008
San Fernando, Trinidad
Reviewed January 23, 2013

located on a great beach. the hotel was decent and the food pretty good, but not really fancy. i loved the pool and the swim up bar. service was so-so. i would go back, but this time i would spend the extra $$$ for a beach front room, or at least one nearer the pool. the garden room was way to far and the walk seemed exhausting after a long day in the sun.

Room Tip: the "garden room" is really far away and faces an ugly wall. seems older and in need of up...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Beautiful looking hotel in well-maintained gardens, but Grand it ain't, especially at over £150 per night, room only.
To be fair the hotel is very well located directly on the fabulous Grand Anse beach, however, where it mainly fails the Grand test, is the food. We didn't have breakfast, but the menu looked okay. We mainly kept to the poolside lunches, which were very good. However, the evening dinner was very disappointing. We ate there the first night, and my wife's fish was overlooked, to the point of tough to cut, and my shrimp pasta was bland. The Caesar salad starter was okay but way too large for an appetiser. We asked for the wine list and were only handed a cocktail list, including a single house wine by the glass. The restaurant area was shared with a pool table and a large screen tv (sound off thank goodness). My table cloth was also dirty from a previous diner. We stuck to lunches after that, and ate outside for dinner thereafter.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, I cannot fault them for that.
We were allocated a ground-floor, king size bedroom, which was clean (we thought) but needed some TLC with the furnishings. The room was next to the poolside bar, but thankfully the hotel was far from full, so we were not disturbed by late night noise.
The real spoiler on the stay was the last night, when my wife discovered a cockroach in the room. She rang reception and they sent around an assistant to remove it, although he did not make an attempt to spray any areas. Later on, returning from a dinner out, we discovered several more of the beasties had taken residency in out bathroom. At that point we requested a change of room, which to be fair to the staff, they managed for us very quickly.
All in all, we expected more from this hotel with Grand in the name, and the poor food, plus unfortunate last night episode with the roaches, mean't that we did not consider the cost to be value for money. We would like to return to Grenada again, but we won't be staying at this hotel, and have already identified another option, which doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground-floor rooms, hopefully, any roaches can't get to you there.
Georgetown, Demerara-Mahaica, Guyana
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Beach Resort for 3 days in late January and we had an excellent time. I've stayed at several all-inclusive type resorts and none of them have compared to the quality that I've seen at Grand Beach Resort...!!! The staff had incredible attitudes and they would stop what they were doing to help you out. They smiled when they walked past you and made sure to wish you a happy day. That mood is contagious sometimes. Also - the food and drinks were very reasonably priced and DELICIOUS...!! I guess I'm used to resorts that water down the drinks - but the rum punch and pina coladas here were amazing. The food takes a bit of time to come out, but well worth the wait - and you have to remember that you are on vacation - and in the Caribbean nonetheless...! I thought the property itself was absolutely beautiful and pristine. They were constantly tending to the gardens and the pools (not in an annoying - in your way - way). The landscaping actually brought me peace of mind - and the way they had the place decorated. I almost felt like I was on a relaxation retreat. The place was not dead empty, but not too crowded either. I'm used to having to fight for a decent pool chair - but none of that here. Also - they don't put too much info about this on their website - but you can actually book a number of tours with/near the hotel. There is a small tour agency attached and if you ask at the front desk they will give you info and prices for hiking, snorkeling, city tours, scuba diving etc - that will pick you up from the hotel and are at a good price compared to other places I had seen. Highly recommend the hiking tour that is a half-day - our guide Mac was very knowledgeable about every single leaf and stem in Grenada. Location is ideal - near the airport, right on the beach, close to a supermarket, and the marina and downtown and other restaurants are a short cab away. All in all, we had a Grand (Beach Resort) Ole Time :)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Anse
True Blue Bay Boutique Resort
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel & Spa
Calabash Luxury Boutique Hotel &...
#1 of 4 in Lance aux Epines
Coyaba Beach Resort
Coyaba Beach Resort
#3 of 11 in Grand Anse
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club

Been to Radisson Grenada Beach Resort? Share your experiences!