“Unexpected Surprise”

South Florida, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Unexpected Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was an optional stop during my tour and I am so thankful I took it. The fee was nominal. I was amazed by what I saw and experienced and wished I had more time. I have to go back to see more.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Jill D

Delft, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fun for all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We first visited here over 20 years ago and it's just as good now as it was back then. Even for the non dog lovers it is an entertaining hour. It is amazing to see how well trained the dogs are, and it's obvious how much enjoyment the dogs get out of "working".
If you are in the area you should stop in, it's well worth it.

1 Thank Blossom_26
Annesley, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Absolutely fantastic - don't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

If you are in the area you must go to the Leault working sheepdogs demonstration. It is at 4pm most days and costs £5 - well worth the money. I am a dog lover (particularly Border Collies!) but even if you're not, I think you would still find it really interesting.

The demonstration starts by showing how the each dog responds to its various commands with some background about the dogs and how they are trained. It was amazing to watch Neil multitask talking to us and controlling the dogs at the same time. We really enjoyed watching the dogs work with the sheep, individually and together and at times the dogs sit amongst the spectators and enjoy a bit of fuss when they're not working.

Then it is over to the sheep shearing - children (and adults I guess?!) can have a go at shearing and again Neil (shepherd) gives lots of interesting information. Finally you can feed a lamb and hold one of the tiny border collie pups (I wanted to take one home!)

It's a fantastic demonstration and should not be missed - I highly recommend it!

(P.S. It is a farmyard so no toilets etc...)

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bexltl
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Interesting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

visited as part of a coach party. Not being a dog lover, I still found it interesting. Never seen so many sheepdogs at one place. Dogs mingled with the spectators whilst waiting for their command. Although I was very nervous of them, they did not jump up on me, and one sat on my foot, completly ignoring me and keeping my foot dry in the pooring rain. For the dog lovers the appearance of several puppies was a highlight as well as the opportunity of helping to shear a sheep and bottle feed the lambs.

East Lyme, CT
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Amazing Dogs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

So if you aren't a "dog person" you may not appreciate this experience as much as we did, although I think this is one of the highlights of any visit to the Highlands of Scotland. Whether just passing through the A9 valley on your way to Aviemore, Inveness or other regional destinations, this attraction is worth the time. The demonstration starts a 4 PM, so coordinating your trip is important. This is an unassuming entrance off A9, a dirt road to a farm with a swinging gate a few hundred yards down the road that you need to get out and open to pass. Approaching the farm, you see sheep and then a whole bunch of energetic Boarder Collies...and puppies...and lambs. We visited on a beautiful July day that certainly helped the view and experience. Our host. Neil, has been a herder all his life and explains the story of sheepherding in the area as you sit on picnic tables and watch in amazement. Neil knows all the names and personalities of his 14 dogs as he talks you through the herding of sheep by the dogs. It is an amazing display of multitasking where Neil talks to the audience, whistling and yelling commands to each dog to move the sheep around the field. The dogs anxiously await their "turn" to participate. The dogs are friendly and affectionate to the patrons. I won't ruin the whole show, but there is also puppies to pick up and lambs to feed, along with some sheep sheering if your timing is right (obviously seasonal). We didn't know what the charge would be until the end of the presentation, which turned out to be 5 PBS/pp, which we willing shelled out for a 1 hour demonstration. Be aware that this is not some commercial enterprise with bathrooms, snacks and a souvenir shop, so plan accordingly.
As you may gather from this review, I highly recommend visiting this attraction!!!

1 Thank PfredIII