“Great for steam fans”

Papplewick Pumping Station
More attraction details
Owner description: Victorian fresh water pumping station that is now an industrial heritage attraction and wedding venue.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Beautiful place, victorian engineering at its best.
Check when they have it operating, well worth it

1  Thank pan40

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband visited Papplewick Pumping Station many times with the children when they were growing up. I didn't go as I wasn't interested in 'that sort of thing'. However, recently I developed a wish to see it for myself. What I had been missing all those years!
We went on line to find out when it would be 'in steam' and duly went along. In no way was I prepared for the wonder of the place. Having seen it on TV many times it seemed smaller inside than I had been expecting - but what I did not expect was the sheer glory of the ironwork, colour, moving parts and my gratitude, not only for the Victorian engineers who built it, but for the volunteers who maintain it now. I was almost moved to tears by the engineering beauty of it all; a treat for all the senses. It was like going into a beautiful cathedral when the organ is playing.
Next time we go I hope it will be with our grand-children when they next come South for a visit. Our heartfelt thanks to all the enthusiasts who maintain and run it.

1  Thank pamnpog
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A great place to go with something for everyone. The engine rooms will amuse the more technical and the intricate designs of the steam rooms will enthrall children for ages - as they did me when I was little! The gardens are lovely, and benches by the lake are a very picturesque spot for a sandwich from the very reasonably priced cafe. There are various special events throughout the year including a 1940s day which is always good fun.

1  Thank Livy P
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Waited for an "in steam" day
So pleased we did. Our first visit after promising ourselves for years was so far from a disappointment
The enthusiasm and informative help from volunteers was enormous
Don't miss the plans and description of shaft maintenance on the top floor of the pumphouse
Apart from the beauty of said pumphouse the exhibits in surrounding sheds and little lake walk all added to a wonderful experience
Go ... It's great !

1  Thank StickofRockDerby_UK
Reviewed January 23, 2013

i was surprised when i visited here as i expected to be bored but i wasnt. going into the actual pumping house is unbelievable i expected everything just to be grubby boring engines ( it was my husbands idea to go)but it is really beautiful. everything is victirian splendour with gorgeous detailing in brass. copper etc.
there is a huge lake and woodland walks plus a nice cafe which is relatively cheap but VERY small.( they could definitely do with a larger one.)
outside is a beautiful lake which you can walk around on a nice day. lovely woodland walks and swans.ducks etc.
we were lucky enough to visit on a 1940's themed day and had a great time!

1  Thank cleoanthony