“Hidden gem for couples”

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Oslo, Norway
“Hidden gem for couples”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We arrived quite late at night and was welcomed by the guy on the night-shift. Still we received a welcome drink and a quick tour around the resort. The room had been beautifully decorated with flowers.

We stayed in a sunset jacuzzi suite (107). The room lived up to its name as you could sit in the side-by-side Jacuzzi on the balcony and enjoy the sunset :-). The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The balcony was large and very private and had fantastic view over the ocean and Maenam. Maintenance however could be better, all the doors was a bit skewed and hard to close. The front door even had a small gap in the top due to the door being skewed. When this was pointed out to the reception, the janitors showed up 30min later and improvised a fix. This should probably have been reported by housekeeping and fixed properly prior to our arrival, but at least it was fixed quickly when it was pointed out.
Like some other reviewers has pointed out, the sunset villas are situated on a small hillside, meaning that there is a couple of hundreds of meters and quite a few steps between the rooms and the pool/restaurant area. We found this to be a pleasant little walk, but I understand that this can be more challenging for people with physical disabilities etc.

The pool and recreational areas had a nice lay-out providing a nice mix of beds in both central area and more private areas closer to the beach. The resort never felt crowded in any way.

The beach however, is nicer to look at than to try to swim from. The seabed was a bit muddy and as part of environmental restoration project the resort had planted coral reefs that can be a bit unpleasant if not swimming shoes are worn.

The bar and restaurant closes at 11, there is almost a kilometer to the main road, but this just confirms what we think is the biggest selling point of Fair House, the quiet surroundings and relaxed atmosphere.

The staff was very kind and genuinely service minded (even by Thai standards!).

Bottom line is that Fair House is ideal for anyone just looking for a place to relax. We had originally booked for 4 nights, but enjoyed the place so much we actually stayed for 12 nights!

Room Tip: The sunset suites, situated on a small hill on the side of the resort has a great view over the beac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The location was nice and quiet. A bit away from it all, but still walking distance to Bo Phut. It was also right next door to W Retreat (which is worth a look during the day and at night). Family Marts (convenience stores) are well within walking distance.

Motorbikes are available at the front desk for a reasonable price. They are, without a doubt, the best way to get around the island.

The villas are spacious and well lit. The bathroom was enormous. The bath itself left nothing wanting. The whole villa was adorned with orchids on arrival, which gave it romantic flair.

The pool is gorgeous. An infinity pool with different layers, jet-massage lounges, and a swim-up bar. There wasn't much beach (be it low tide or high tide) and the sand was rather rough. Kayaks were a free fun option.

Our upsets:
1. The customer service was very hit or miss. Some of the staff were absolutely terrific, but many were just rude. We would walk up to the front desk not sure if we would receive a huge smile, or a "what do you want" glare.
2. The villas were plush, but were missing a few very basic amenities. (i.e. handsoap and a "please do not disturb" sign....We used the "bath bubbles" for handsoap, and had to make our own sign when we wanted to sleep-in).
3. The restaurant was obscenely overpriced--be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.
4. The hotel guide book claimed that DVD players were obtained for no cost at the front desk--but it took three different employees telling us that it would cost us 250 baht for 24 hours before we had to get the hotel guide out of the room to show them that we wouldn't be paying. We finally got it complimentary, as advertised.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Katimay,

Many thanks for your review. I appreciate your honest and valuable feedback, although I am obviously disappointed that we were not able to impress you more during your stay.

I appreciate your kind comments on our location and I am glad you liked your room, the area and our pool area.

I am both surprised and disappointed that our service came across as inconsistent. This is normally an area where we score very high and I apologize that we were not able to make a better impression on you in this area. I will have a word with our service teams again to refresh the importance of consistency. The “big smiles” and “terrific staff” you mentioned is where we strive to be at and it is a great shame you did not get to experience that consistently. It can sometimes be an issue with language understanding, as it sometimes takes quite a few months to bring new staff up to desired level of English proficiency. However, we do try to manage this as well as we can by scheduling to always have someone on shift in all areas who speaks well English. Sometimes it can be quite demanding to get complex messages across and we do appreciate our guests’ patience and understanding for this. However, they should never come across as rude and I apologize if it came across that way.

The pricing level in our restaurant can seem a bit high when compared to local-style restaurants and bars. However, compared to similar level restaurants, especially in similar level hotels, our restaurant is priced fairly reasonably. It has to be mentioned that our restaurant is operated by a professional kitchen led by an experienced chef, following international level of hygiene and control standards. In Thailand there are very few, if any, requirements to open a restaurant, which makes it possible to do so extremely cheap. In our case, we cannot do that, simply due do the standards of service, hygiene, food quality, salaries and suppliers which we have decided to follow. We always encourage guest to enjoy the local cuisine and restaurant and most travellers will not have any issues doing so. However, we cannot risk lowering our quality or safety standards simply to match these restaurants in terms of price. It is clear that our prices can seem high in a simple comparison, but we also firmly believe that the quality of service, food, atmosphere and kitchen hygiene of The Bre-Eze restaurant ensures an overall high-value experience for the guests.

We are right now in a transition period in terms of hand soap. We are switching to a soap selection model for certain room categories, where guests can choose their fragrance of hand soap upon check in. At the moment we are using our bath foam bottles for the hand soap, but there SHOULD be a sticker on them to explain that it is hand soap and not bath foam. Similarly, a Do Not Disturb sign is standard in all of our rooms and it is unfortunate that you did not have one. Most likely in these cases the previous guest in this room was impressed with our hand-made wooden DND signs, decided to take it home and the room attended did not notice it was missing before you checked in. I apologize for this. We would have gladly provided you with one if you would have mentioned it. I will find out which room you stayed in and make sure that all these things are corrected for future travellers. Many thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The issue with the DVD player is also quite unfortunate, but I believe it has been sorted now in the meantime. The issue is that some of our agents claimed different prices for it, our room directories (which we are also re-doing these days) claimed one thing and our front office staff were stuck somewhere in the middle. It has now been clarified and again I am sorry that you experienced this problem.

Again many thanks for your review. I am sorry for the lengthy reply, but we sincerely do appreciate your feedback and comments, which help us improve our standards and service delivery for future travellers.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were 2 couples who stayed at Fair House from the 5th - 9th of June this year. Our bungalows were 209 and 210. Bungalow 210 had the most breathtaking view over the resort, palm trees and ocean. Our room was spacious and I loved the interior. The booked the off season rate which was an absolute bargain for this hotel (however I won't recommend the off peak season period to visit Thailand as we had 6 days of almost continuous rain in Phuket and Phi Phi. Weather in Koh Samui was great though). The pool is gorgeous and we spent one day just lounging next to the pool. The sea is conveniently right in front of the pool area. We enjoyed the breakfast each morning and also ate at the hotel 2 evenings. The wine we ordered was quite a disappointment but we soon learned that in Thailand you should stick to beer and cocktails. I did feel that the hotel needs a few maintenance upgrades (for example the reception desk, pool bar and beach towels looked quite old). Service was always friendly although I did get a bit frustrated once when I felt the receptionist's knowledge of English could be better. The food and drinks at the hotel are quite expensive (typical hotel prices) and the fact that the hotel is not located close to some nice restaurants and bars can be a draw back. We hired scooters on one of the days we spent there (at 300baht a day this is an absolute bargain) and drove right around the island which was so much fun. On our way we visited all of the towns. I must warn that you won't find even a hint of paradise in these grimy towns (dogs lurking around in search of food - I was so upset by this because I am such an animal lover and hundreds of black electricity cables hang every where). We love snorkelling and booked a day trip to Ko Tao which was highly enjoyable since Koh Samui doesn't offer any snorkelling opportunities. Next time if we visit Thailand we will rather look for accommodation on Koh Tao. Overall from the 4 places we did stay on our visit to Thailand Fair House Villas gets the most points and I will definitely stay here again if we end up on Koh Samui in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nikkikapp
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

When I looked at reviews and photos if the hotel I was impressed enough to book an 11 night stay. I regretted it on day one! I cannot express how poor this hotel is. It's not a 4.5 star hotel. It's a 2 star tops! We booked the pool villa suite. It doesn't have a pool, it's located next to the hotel pool. The room is small, we cannot even unpack our luggage as there isn't anywhere to put it.
The hotel was built in 2006, I was shocked when I read that. It feels like its from the 90's. it is in serious need of restoration.
The main pool is disgusting, the tops of the tiles has mould growing on them. The sun beds are poor, the shade sails don't work, the bed side tables are moulds plastic tables. There is never any towels and if there is they are old things that could fall apart at any minute.
I am so angry and disappointed!!! This is the worst hotel I have been to in four years if visiting Koh samui. You have been warned!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Richard P
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Richard P,

Many thanks for your review. I am obviously very sad to see that you had such a disappointing experience with us, but I do appreciate your comments.

I am immensely confused by your comment that your room did not have a pool. The room in which you stayed, 301, is indeed located close to our main pool as you mention, but it also features a private plunge pool and a private garden area behind the villa (in many other pool villas the pool is located in front of the room). This pool (of this specific room) is showed as the main photo for this room category on Expedia, where you made your booking. I am now incredibly worried that you did not notice this pool during the time that you stayed in this room. It would indeed justify a lot of your disappointment, although I am not sure this is the case. Either way, the room does certainly come with its own pool and is not named a pool villa simply due to the proximity of the main pool.

The size of the room itself is 38sqm, which is exactly what is says on the page where you made your booking. This is excluding the private outside area and the outdoor sala. The wardrobe in this rooms is located in the bathroom in order to maximize use of the bedroom space.

In the past few weeks since you stayed with us, our new sunbed mattresses and sun umbrellas have arrived. Unfortunately the ordering and delivery process took much longer than we had planned for, which caused the quality of our old mattresses and umbrellas to deteriorate far below our acceptable standard. This is obviously very unfortunate and I do sincerely apologize for this. A full range of brand new pool towels have also been ordered, but this time I am a bit hesitant to promise an arrival time. It might take a little while, as they are custom made by the factory.

As mentioned in several other comments, we have scheduled a complete renovation of our main pool for the end of October and parts of November. We unfortunately have to wait for low season, as we cannot close the main pool down for three weeks in periods where we have a significant number of bookings. Again, I do apologize for this and we are very excited to offer our guests a brand new pool. Please note, the miscoloring between the tiles is not mould. It is mostly residue from sun cream and oils from the pool guests which collects between the surface tiles since we are not running an overflow system. We do chemical treatments of the pool every evening to ensure that it is hygienic and our pool boys schedule at least bi-weekly deep cleaning of the tile works in order to keep it as presentable as we can before the renovation.

When you first mentioned your disappointment to us on day five of your stay, you talked to our Senior Front Office Supervisor as I was attending a meeting off property. I feel it deserves to be mentioned that he did (as an exception) authorize an early check-out at no charge five nights early, which I believe is a fairly generous gesture, as your booking was made non-refundable. It is not our intention to make travellers stay with us who do not want to. I wish you would have informed us earlier, so we could have saved you some frustration. We do understand that everyone travels with different preferences and expectations and that not every guest can be satisfied in our hotel.

Finally, I will add an up to date (December, 2012) album with unprocessed photos from all around our resort, including all room types:

The design/style of the hotel, what star rating we should have and the need of renovation are relatively subjective points which I do not necessarily agree with, so I feel it is better that future guests have a look and decide for themselves. We certainly do not want to mislead or disappoint anyone and if anyone has any questions or concerns before booking, they are always welcome to contact me directly at om@fairhousevillas.com. I am always happy to help guests make the most out of their stay and provide information.

Once again, I offer my sincere thanks for your comments and feedback. I apologize that we were unable to satisfy you during your stay and I hope that on your future travels you will find hotels that are able to better meet your expectations.

Wilhelmshaven, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We just loved our holidays in Fair House Villas. Very relaxing place with a lot of flowers and trees! The hotel is situated in a quiet area, no noise at all and still offers everything we needed for our perfect stay. It was a great getaway for us from all the hustle and bustle in the main tourist areas on Koh Samui. You need to walk 10 minutes to get to the main road where you will find some shops and restaurant. The hotel is also renting out scooters or organizing a taxi for you. The staff was lovely and always happy to help, so charming! Especially the Norwegian Manager took very good care about us.

The food in the restaurant, also the breakfast was delicious and the staff is just amazingly friendly and professional. It´s a bit pricier than in an outside restaurant but worth the money. We prefer to dine in beautiful surroundings rather than sitting on a plastic chair and that´s what we paid for. We also enjoy a good choice of drinks and that´s exactly what you get there. Especially the entertainment has to be mentioned. There is a quite famous saxophonist - Koran Daniels - playing a few times a week and he is just amazing. Great catch for a 4* Hotel.

I just can recommend Fair House Villas if you are looking for a peaceful and lovely place. The beach is not the best part of the property because they had to build a wall to protect the beach from the sea. But they really try to arrange everything nice for their guests and still they have a big pool area on which we loved to relax. We will surely come back in our little paradise!

Room Tip: If you want a breathtaking view - exercise included - go for the villas up the hill. If you prefer t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bimbaaa
Dear Bimbaaa,

Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us. It is great to see that you enjoyed such a nice time with us and I am happy we you enjoyed the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere of Fair House Villas & Spa.

I am glad you enjoyed our services and that you found our team helpful and friendly, which is the core of our philosophy. I am also glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and restaurant menus as well as the performances of our in-house saxophonist Koran Daniels. He is currently performing three nights per week in our restaurant. We are happy to see all the positive feedback from our guests and we are very excited to have Koran on board with us for a long term contract, as hotel live music on the island tends to rather bad in terms of quality.

Once again thank you very much for your kind and valuable comments and thank you for staying with us. It was a great pleasure having you here and we are already looking forward to welcoming you back to “our little paradise”.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at Fair House Villas at the tail end of a 2 week honeymoon trip all over Thailand. We took the shared bus from the airport (150B per person vs roughly 500B for a taxi) and were greeted with a welcome drink. Everyone at reception was very kind. The room was decorated very nicely for our honeymoon- flowers everywhere, even in the tub! It was beautiful. I also thought the bungalow itself, was lovely. I didn't think the bathroom looked dated, and I also didn't notice any of this "green mold" that others have spoken of, I had no complaints of the room at all. Having morning coffee on the porch was my favorite part of the day. The resort offers a pool with a swim-up bar, I agree with other's assessment that tiles are loose/missing from the floor. However, I imagine they would have to close the whole pool down to repair that and I really wouldn't want that happening on MY holiday, I am sure you would agree. The hotel also has an organic garden which is home to two very sweet little kittens, which if you like cats would welcome your attention (and your shrimp chips :) The location of this hotel is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng, however the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle a few times a day. The hotel's beach is lovely for watching the sunset, not so lovely for swimming. Take the shuttle to chaweng if you want the nice beach for a day, however Chaweng is something like the South beach (miami) of Samui, with loud techno music and lots of day drinking....so it was a bit of a relief to get back to the calm of the hotel after. We didn't eat at the hotel other than breakfast, so I can't make a fair assessment of the restaurant. Most nights we walked down to the main road to eat, there is a lady making noodles next to the 24hours shop that are lovely and cheap. If you ask nicely at reception and they are not busy they can drive you down to the main road in the golf cart. The walk is not terrible but beware there is a mean black dog that lives at the white house on the right, he basically tried to attack us but luckily we had an umbrella to fend him off. We also bought some drinks/snacks at the 24hours shop to keep in our room. Make sure you bring bug spray, the mosquitos around are vicious! My only complaint at all, is the lack of ice around. Being American I can't even drink a Coke without tons of ice, which every time required going to the pool bar to ask, and the girl working there was always kind of annoyed and crabby about it. All in all a lovely stay though!

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the beach/pool rather then reception
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank guslovesdisco
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear guslovesdisco,

Thank you for your review. Great to see that you enjoyed a nice time with us during your honeymoon and I am happy that we were able to add a memorable touch with the room decoration.

I am glad that you enjoyed the room. Since some future travelers have been worrying about mold, I would just like to emphasize that there has never been a case of actual mold in the shower/bathroom in our hotel. There have been a couple of cases of miscoloring of the cement between the tiles, but never actual mold or anything unhygienic and/or dangerous. Please also note that in these cases we have redone the tiles to keep the bathrooms up to our esthetic standards. During this low season we are routinely closing down rooms for touch ups and renovations to make sure our rooms are presentable and nice.

Thank you also for your kind words on the peaceful and relaxing atmosphere of the hotel, which is an essential part of our concept.

We have had talks with the shopkeeper down the road after we have gotten information from guests that his dog can be a bit unfriendly and scary. It is obviously very unfortunate and we do not want our guests to be scared of anything like this while walking in the area. Sadly it is not under our direct control, but we have reached an agreement to keep his dog on leech. It is also not in his interest that the dog is bothering our guests, as our guests make up a significant portion of his customer base.

As you mention, there are a few cats and dogs who pass by our property. We generally do not encourage our guests to feed stray animals on our property and especially in our around the rooms. The problem is that these animals very quickly adapt to being fed and this leads to problems for the animals after the guest who feeds them checks out. It also leads to problems for future guests who are not comfortable with the attention from these animals and we encourage all guests to respect that. The best thing that guests who share our love for animals can do is to donate to Samui Rescue, which actively helps stray animals around the island. We have a donation box in the lobby and we appreciate any contribution. If guests would like to feed the animals, we kindly ask that this is done outside hotel property.

Again many thanks for your review and please excuse me for going a bit off track with my reply. I hope you had a safe trip home and that we will have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We are on our last day of a two week honeymoon break at the Fair House and after a rocky start, we have had a great time.

The manager here is really helpful and wants to ensure guests are happy. After complaining about the cleanliness, he did all that he could to get things sorted, so a big thank you to him for doing this. Things just sometimes get lost in translation and it isn't that the hotel don't want to help.

The hotel do offer some nice touches - free shuttle, lifts back to the room and they provide two bottles of water a day which is good - it would be better though if these were put straight in the fridge rather than in the bathroom.

The place for us worked really well - we headed to the beach front beds but still had the pool close by. The resort does need some work, but the manager has been really honest on his responses about these things. The towels are awful but the rest is a working progress.

The shuttle to the other towns are worth a trip - we only went to each once, as this was enough for us.

We found a small shop a couple of minutes walk along the beach that we went to get ice cream and drinks from as the hotel is pricey and doesn't include soft drinks in the daytime happy hour. I think this should be looked at again.

We walked along the beach to Maenam which takes about an hour - this is to the end of the cove you can see to the left when sat on a sun bed.

We hired a car for two days which is well worth doing - we drove round the whole island and saw the less developed areas. We went to Lamai beach one day which is lovely and also on Sunday evening, as there was a street market which was nice to wander round. It is worth a visit if you have transport.

As we wanted to see more of Thailand, we also headed to Phuket for a few days. You can get a flight that takes an hour which is fairly reasonable. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express which is new, clean and in a good location. We did a couple of boat trips from here, so feel that we have seen a good amount to assess what we like best. We are glad that we have seen both sides and would definitely recommend Samui over Phuket or Phi Phi.

After touring the island, we realised even more that the location of Fair House was just perfect for us.

We would definitely recommend the hotel to friends - taking a sunset jacuzzi made it just perfect!

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Jet-hopper2011,

Thank you for this follow-up review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed a nice stay after the initial complications you experienced. I would like to thank you again for bringing this to my attention, which allowed us to solve the issue for you.

Thank you also for offering your thoughts and comments on your stay. Feedback like this is extremely useful and helps us prioritize our work and improve our performance.

As I have mentioned before in a few comments, we have scheduled a complete renovation of our pool area later this year. We would love to do it before and the plans have been ready for a while now. We had initially planned to do it in May, but due to a surprising amount of bookings, we had to delay it a bit further. I appreciate your understanding. We are looking forward to offer a brand new pool area as soon as possible.

Other purchases to increase the standard of our pool are have already been made. Brand new sun bed mattresses arrived last week, our new sun umbrellas are arriving this afternoon (I hope) and new towels have been ordered already. Unfortunately, these ordering processes have taken longer than we would like and were not ready for your stay.

I also appreciate the tips and suggestions you leave for future travelers. Walking along Maenam beach is lovely. I personally enjoy jogging up and down the beach whenever I find the time (preferably in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is not too intense). Exploring the island independently is also a very nice idea. There are some very charming and undeveloped areas around the island, which are easy to reach with a car or a scooter. I am always happy to offer advice and tips on where to go if guests are interested.

I have noticed that many guests point out exactly what you mention about our location. Many guests arrive worried that it is in a central location, but as soon as they go into the central locations and return, they are very thankful not to be living there. Travelers always have different preferences, but I would say that 90% of our returning guests choose us for this particular reason. Keep in mind that Samui is not a big island and we are only 15 minutes away from Chaweng Beach, where most of the “action” is found, and we do offer three daily shuttles free of charge.

I have to say I also agree with your assessment of Koh Samui versus Phuket or Phi Phi as destinations. Obviously, different travellers have different preferences, but I completely share your view.

Again thank you for offering your thoughts and comments. I apologize again for the initial complications. I am glad you were able to resolve it for you and that you enjoyed the rest of your honeymoon. And last but not least I would love to welcome you both back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!