“Idyllic peaceful holiday”

Fair House Villas & Spa
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
“Idyllic peaceful holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have just returned from an 8 day stay at Fair House. We chose the Sunset Jacuzzi Villa situated in the hillside, a really lovely large room with a jacuzzi on the balcony and a further bath and shower in the large bathroom. A very comfortable 4 poster bed too! The room was very clean and we had no problems with housekeeping. The walk up to the villa was a bit hard in the heat and humidity but worth it for the size and views.
The pool are is very quiet and relaxing, we chose to use the sunbeds situated nearer the beach and really benefitted from the lovely sea breeze. The sea in front of the hotel is a bit rocky but if you walk left a little it's much better.
We found all the staff very welcoming and friendly and they were especially helpful when I trod on some sort of poisonous fish in the sea, they advised me to sit in a hot jacuzzi and this did the trick. They were also very helpful in taking me to the pharmacy to get medication for an ear infection.
The breakfasts were lovely with a wide variety of food, we had lunch by the pool daily but after the first day realised that one between us was ample as the portions were huge!
We only eat there once in the evening as we like to try local restaurants, we found a wonderful one by walking left along the beach, watching the fantastic sunset as we walked. The restaurant was right on the sea edge and served the most wonderful food at very reasonable prices. At the end of the evening the owner drove us back so we didn't have to walk along the beach in the dark. He will do this for all guests, the restaurant in called Zenzibar and I really recommend it.

We went to Chaweng beach once but it's far too noisy and touristy for us, we much preferred the peacefulness of fair house. Fishermans village at Bhoput beach is a smaller quieter version of Chaweng.

If we had to make any negative comments it would only be that the umbrellas are in need of replacement and the pool did have a few loose tiles. But every day you could see some maintenance going on somewhere so I am sure they will get round to sorting it. The food at the hotel was much pricier than outside but I guess this is normal in hotels, but asking £5 for a chocolate ice cream on a stick is too much! ( especially when you walk up,to the local,shop and get one for 45 Baht)

In all it was a lovely place to stay, the best beach to see the sunsets from. We would recommend this to anyone wanting a peaceful,holiday

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Ndick,

Many thanks for your constructive and valuable review. I am glad you had a good time with us and that you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel.

Thank you for your positive words on the peaceful atmosphere, which we feel is an essential aspect of our property and the main reason most of our guests choose to stay with us. It is important to have a peaceful and stress-free home base, even for those who prefer an eventful and active holiday. Koh Samui is small and getting to the busy areas from our hotel only takes 5-15 minutes.

Thank you also for your kind words about your room, the housekeeping, the restaurant and especially our team. I am glad we made such a positive impression on you during your stay.

Brand new umbrellas are on the way from Bangkok and a complete renovation of the pool area is scheduled for November. I would love to do it sooner, but it would be a great shame to close off the pool area in a time when we have many guests in house. I appreciate your comments on this.

Again thank you for your feedback. We hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

After reading the reviews on here, we decided to book 14 nights at Fair House and we are currently on day 3 of our honeymoon.

I must say though that we are really disappointed as we have a room that should be amazing - the view from our balcony looks out to sea and the room size is good. However, there is black mould on the tiles in the shower and a smell of mould coming from the air conditioning unit. We reported it to reception on the first day and they said that the mould would not clean off the tiles - we asked them to try, but it is no better. They offered us another room but the smell from the ac was even worse, so we will have to make do with the mouldy shower.

I must admit, I have re-read the review that stated that there was mould in the bathroom and the response from the manager dismissing this, which makes me angry. I don't understand how hotels can get it so wrong - all people want is a nice clean place and mould is just unacceptable!

I wish that I had some bleach and I could show them how to properly clean!

2 Thank Jet-hopper2011
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Jet-hopper2011,

I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered and I am sorry that it took three days before this was brought to my attention. It is a great shame that your honeymoon started off that way and this is obviously not the impression we would like to make on our arriving guests. Since this was not reported to me, I only found out here on Tripadvisor when I saw the review. I went to the room with our chief engineer and our executive housekeeper to meet with you and have a look. I have to say I was disappointed with the appearance of the grout between the shower tiles and I do indeed understand your frustration. I do have to point out that it was NOT a case of mold or anything hazardous or unhygienic. It was simply miscolouring of the cement/grout between the tiles which was obviously far below our esthetic standards. I have previously noticed miscolouring of grout work in other rooms and closed them for renovation, but never seen a case as bad as yours. It can be difficult to stay on top of the renovation work of all the rooms, but this is ultimately my responsibility as a manager and I sincerely apologize for this incident. I assure you we have set new housekeeping standards for control and renovation of the bathroom tile work.

As you know, we did a complete renovation of the shower tiles in that room on that day, but due to the damage already caused to you on your honeymoon, I decided to give you a room upgrade for the remainder of your stay. Unfortunately I fell ill the day after our talk, so I was not able to follow up on your stay personally, but my team informed me that you were happy and enjoying your time. I hope this was the case and that this review does not reflect the overall impression of our establishment upon your check-out.

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience. We do work very hard to build and maintain high standards, but it does sadly happen every now and then that an issue arises. In these cases it is all about displaying our ability to react to these situations and I hope you feel we were able to do so in this case.

As a final remark I would like to point out to future guests that if there is any issue arising that you would like to bring to my attention, please do not hesitate to contact me if you see me around the property. I also leave my direct extension number on the welcome letter in the room, you can send me and email at om@fairhousevillas.com or simply inform a team member that you would like to see me. Most issues can be handled easily by my team, but if you do want to see me for any reason I am always happy to do so. Feedback is arguably the most important tool for me to improve our services and I always enjoy a good chat with our guests. Although I always encourage guests to write reviews, it is not necessarily the fastest way if you are currently in-house and experience an issue. Pages such as Tripadvisor take a few days to review the content before it is posted, which delays the resolution to the problem unnecessarily.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I have recently returned from Koh Samui where we stayed for 7 nights in a sunset Jacuzzi room at the Fair House Villas & Spa hotel. Our room was lovely and spacious. The bathroom was big, although starting to look a little tired. The balcony and jacuzzi were fantastic and a perfect way to watch the sun go down after a day by the pool.

The pool area is good, there were always plenty of sunbeds and towels available. Although the pool was nice, there were lots of loose tiles on the floor of the pool which need repair work done asap before someone injures themselves. There is a swim up pool bar which has a happy hour from 12-1pm which is good because the drinks then become reasonably priced (2 for 1 on cocktails and beer!). There are plenty of poolside games and a basketball hoop in the pool which is good fun.

The pool lunch and snack menu is good, we only had lunch on one day, but the portions were big and the food good. We booked Bed and Breakfast and the variety at breakfast was always very good and the staff helpful.

We did unfortunately find the staff on reception unwelcoming and found they did not pay much attention to us when we were in the reception area, although they were always very prompt in getting taxis for us when required. Speaking of which the hotel runs a shuttle bus from the hotel to Chaweng although it will stop at Fishermans Village on the way if you ask the driver. This is free 3 times a day although at awkward times, otherwise it runs about 5 times a day.

The nearest place to go and eat/drink/shop is Fishermans village, which has a fantastic street market on a Friday night which I would very much recommend. There is also a good variety of restaurants and bars. We didn't try and walk there as it is quite far and the road leading to the main road is not lit and it would be a good 45minute walk in the heat!

Overall we had a fantastic holiday in Fair House Villas and Spa and would be happy to return in the future. My only complaint would be that the hotel is starting to look a little bit tired and could do with some works.

Room Tip: Sunset Jacuzzi room was fantastic with a great view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear PKWimbledon,

Many thanks for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would like to return. I also appreciate your valuable comments and feedback, which will help us improve our services in the future.

Great to see you enjoyed our breakfast, pool bar and the service in these areas. I do agree that we the pool and especially the tiles can do with some work. We have been planning this out for a long time and we had originally scheduled a complete renovation of the pool in May. However, due to an unusual amount of early bookings we could not close off the pool for almost a whole month. We have now set the renovation for November and I apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime.

I am sad and surprised that the service at front office seemed “unfriendly”. Normally I get mainly positive feedback on this, so I will investigate what went wrong in this case. I do appreciate your comments, as it is our ambition to score high on this point.

You also make some nice recommendations on what to do in the local area, which I am sure future guests will appreciate. I am also always happy to provide our guests with recommendations or answer any questions anyone may have while staying on Samui.

Again many thanks for staying with us and thank you for your kind review. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed at Fair House as part of our honeymoon in Thailand, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Neither of us had been to the island before, so weren't sure what to expect.
We found the staff extremely helpful and friendly, and even the few who didn't speak much English (not a complaint, just an observation), tried their hardest to help.
The pool was relaxing and a great place to wind down, and the poolside bar a great idea!
Overall, meals were excellent there, we ate at the restaurant one night and found it very nice, and also had breakfast there throughout our stay, with a great selection of fruits, juices and more western-style cooked breakfasts.
We stayed at a sunset suite and spent many of our evenings relaxing either on the balcony looking out at the sea, or in the jacuzzi, which was amazing!

The only slight downsides to our stay would be that the housekeeping was occasionally a bit hit-and-miss, they missed us out a couple of days whilst we were still in the room, but then didn't return until later the next day. Also, whilst the free shuttle bus into Chaweng was really appreciated, and well used, Chaweng itself proved a little too tourist-y for our likings, with the plethora of Australian themed bars and restaurants, whereas there were much nicer places on the island such as Fisherman's Village, which proved much harder to get to - a single taxi from Fisherman's Village back to Fair House one evening cost us around 300 Baht

Overall though, a brilliant time had, and good memories all round, and would definitely go back if we ever have the chance!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Tristan G,

Many thanks for your review. I am glad you and your wife enjoyed your honeymoon at Fair House Villas & Spa. I appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Thank you for all the positive comments, especially the nice words on our staff. I am very happy that our team was able to make you feel so welcomed and taken care of. Thank you also for your kind words on our breakfast and restaurant. We have recently launched a brand new range of menus and it is exciting to see that our guests enjoy it. I am also glad you enjoyed our pool area and our pool bar, where we have a daily happy hour.

The Sunset Suites are perfect for honeymooners and romance travellers and I can understand why you spent some relaxing evenings on your balcony. They do offer perhaps best view on Maenam beach and especially during sunset hour it is quite spectacular.

I am saddened to see that the housekeeping failed to meet our standards on some occasions. I will take note of this and discuss it with our Executive Housekeeper. We are making some structural changes to the housekeeping department in these days, which I hope and believe will eliminate these types of errors. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience.

Once again many thanks for your valuable feedback, which will help us further improve our services. Thank you also for choosing us for your honeymoon and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again in the future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Head to the Fair House Villas at Maenam, a stunning property that provides the perfect mix of peace and harmony. We stayed at the sunset suite which was much much better than expected. The view was to kill for, the Jacuzzi in the balcony provided an apt location to enjoy a peaceful drink as you watch the sunset over the mountains. Fair House has its own opening onto the beach and is apt for peaceful walks or for snorkeling and kayaking during the afternoon. The staff are warm and helpful. The property is situated on maenam beach, which is a 30 minute drive from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng beach, so you can have your dose of madness and then come back to the peacefulness of maenam. They also help arrange for scuba diving trips, the controlled environment tutorial is given at their very own pool. Before leaving we were asked to plant coconut saplings in their organic garden and they also sent us a recent picture on demand. Look forward to visiting them again!! Keep up the good work!!

Room Tip: The Sunset Suite :)
Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mayank83
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Mayank83,

Many thanks for this heart-warming review. I am thrilled to see that you and your wife enjoyed such a nice honeymoon with us. Our Sunset Suites is indeed a great option for honeymooners.

Thank you also for your kind words about our team. I am glad we managed to make such a nice impression on you.

Tree plantings are always a pleasure, even in the hot weather. It is great when our guests take an interest in our environmental initiatives and a tree is such a nice memory of guests who have stayed with us in the past. It is also a great way to have a chat and for me to get to know our guests a bit better. I still remember the planting I did with you guys clearly. Your tree is doing fine by the way, I just checked on it again yesterday.

Again many thanks for your review and thank you for trusting us to host you for your honeymoon. We are already looking forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here only for 2 nights in a garden villa. Unfortunately my bag was snatched from me while we were driving on a rented motorbike with passport and mobile phone in it. Jo the marketing manager of the hotel was very helpful taking us to the police and helping us with all our enquiries. Thanks again.. your help was invaluable and kept us sane! The hotel is just next to the W hotel and the moment you arrive you know the holiday is for real. Very friendly welcome and they serve you a cold drink while checking you in. You can use kayaks for free and rent motorbikes and helmets from reception for 300 bhat. The pool is a good size and the beach small but private. I agree with other readers that the quality of water wasn't very good but at least you can use the pool. Breakfast was served in an open air environment but shaded and it is lovely eating while looking out to the sea. Makes a good start to the day! The villa was spacious with a big bathroom that had a tub but also a shower. We didn't use the shower as the power wasn't very strong. The garden villa had a small terrace with chairs. From our terrace you could see the sea, but other garden villas would just look out to other villas. If the view is important for you then you are better of with one of the villas that also have a jacuzzi. A very nice place to relax for a few days...

1 Thank Fos_HK
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Fos_HK,

Many thanks for your review. First of all, the incident that happened to you while driving on the motorbike was both shocking and sad. I have been here for one and a half year now and this is the first time I have heard of anything like this happening to our guests (or anyone else for that matter). Samui is generally regarded as very safe compared to other tourism destinations and petty crime like this is very rare. Regardless, I am glad our manager on duty was able to provide you with the support you needed, which is the least we can do in such a situation.

Besides this unfortunate incident, I am glad you liked the hotel. I am happy you got a nice first impression and, more importantly, that we were able to follow up on it. Good to see that you enjoyed our free of charge kayak rental, your spacious bathroom, our restaurant and the overall atmosphere.

And you are correct, if an outstanding view is desired, I would definitely recommend our Sunset Suites on the hillside, which offer the famous views of Maenam Beach and the Gulf of Thailand.

Again many thanks for your review. We hope to see you again someday.

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We spent 6 nights as a young family in the sunset suite. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable; from booking us a driver to giving us lifts to our room (the property is set on a large hillside). The pool is fantastic as well as the beach, although you can find better sand and clearer water in the otherwise touristy Chaewang. The food, including breakfast is fantastic, as well as happy hour!
The only reason we give this 4 out of 5 is that housekeeping is a nightmare. They don't speak English so we went 2 days without having our room turned down because they had come when we were in and we asked them to come back (they never did). Also we had some laundry done that was supposed to come back that evening and it didn't (a complaint to management was not followed up).
Otherwise we loved every bit of our stay and we would definitely return here!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank tanabanana87
Dear tanabanana87,

Many thanks for your review. Nice to see that you enjoyed a nice stay with us and thank you for your kind words on the service, food, drinks and public areas of Fair House Villas.

I am sorry to see that you encountered problems with our housekeeping during your stay. From what I understand, it seems to have been caused by a language problem which led to a misunderstanding by our room attendant. I am not sure who in our management team received your complaint, but I will follow up, as it is highly unfortunate that your concern was not followed up properly.

Once again many thanks for your review. I am happy you would like to return, it would certainly be a great pleasure welcoming you and your family back someday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!