“Fair house”

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Brisbane
“Fair house”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Disappointed with this resort when booking rooms showed a view from the balcony this is not the case for most of this level of room, rooms are very dark we had mould on the shower tiles and grout, grout was also falling out. Resort needs maintenance also the pool went so green you couldn't see the bottom but they didn't close it and let kids swim in it for 2 days while sorting it out, had 2 occasions of the bill bing wrong for drinks and meals, they did correct it after I pointed ot out. We hired a car through the hotel it got cancelled but they didn't advise us the company had rang until we had been waiting at reception they did book another company after I asked what was going on I think they could have looked into that proactively . The staff where pleasant and tried to help when requested food at breakfast was ok not great and all outside in the heat diner menu is limited but food was good, make sure you take insect repellant with you. If you dont like cats and dogs roaming around the grounds then this will also be an issue for you! There is a shuttle to town which was good and on time if you stay here make sure you go next door to the W hotel for lunch what a place...Overall this is not a 4 star property but probably a good 3.5 star

Room Tip: Book a jacuzzi room they looked like they would have had a great view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Russell P,

Many thanks for your review. I think it is a great shame that you felt your stay with us was only average as it is our goal to exceed all our guests expectations. I do however appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with your thoughts and feedback.

Unfortunately, not all of our Deluxe Balcony rooms feature ocean views. The best option for travellers looking for ocean views is to book our Sunset Suites, which offer perhaps the best sunset views of Maenam beach.

I was not able to find any mould or grout on the shower tiles in the room during my inspection this morning. I assume this is something our housekeeping team has seen and removed already. I apologize that you experienced this problem during your stay, which is definitely unacceptable for our cleaning standards. We will conduct a deeper check of all our rooms to make sure this does not occur in other guest rooms.

The drop of water quality we experienced for a few days last week due to a nearby water leak was very unfortunate, but sadly outside of our control. Since the issue did not cause any health concerns, we decided it was less upsetting for our guests to keep the pool open than to close it down for all use.

I am also sorry that you experienced problems with your car rental. The rental company contacted our reception shortly before your pick-up was scheduled to inform us that the car you had booked had been returned damaged by the previous customer and that they therefore could not honour your booking. Our receptionist then attempted to phone your room and locate you in the public area, but was not successful. We could therefore not organize an alternative before you arrived in reception. I apologize for the inconvenience this caused you, but would like to emphasize that our front office staff handled the case to the best of their abilities and according to our policies. I have already expressed our disappointment with the rental company for this incident.

Wild dogs and cats are common sights on the island and occasionally some will pass through our resort. In respect of all our guests, we do advise all our visitors not to feed these animals on property, as this tend to make them return expecting more.

Once again I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us, which understandably caused you some dissatisfaction. I would like thank you again for bringing these points to our attention, allowing us to improve our services and the overall guest experience at Fair House Villas & Spa.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a wonderful week's stay at this resort hotel.

Based on the North of the island, Fair House is located right on a (quiet) beach and nestled into lush grounds. The resort has a number of villa/bungalows and rooms located within leafy grounds. There is a swimming pool with swim-up bar, a separate bar with lots of comfy sofas looking out to the gorgeous sea views as well as a restaurant with views out to the sea and Koh Phangnan in the distance. The hotel offers kayaks for guests to use, and also has a spa offering various massages and body treatments. The rooms were clean and spacious with amenities including TV/safe/mini fridge/small hairdryer. There is free wifi across the resort which was really handy.

The resort is set back from the road and is about 5 minutes drive away from the lively Fishermen’s Village, and about 15 minutes drive to Chaweng area. The hotel has a few shuttles a day to busy Chaweng (some free, some have a charge).

We stayed in the Deluxe Balcony room which had stunning sea views, but it is a steep walk up to the room. The rooms around the pool area are easier to reach!

The reception is covered but open air, and a great place to chill out for a little while. The staff are really friendly, with a good level of English and always more than happy to help.

We really enjoyed our stay and I would definitely recommend it to people looking for a relaxed holiday on Koh Samui that isn't in the bustling, busy areas like Chaweng.

Room Tip: Deluxe Balcony rooms are up on a steep hill. Some garden villas are only a minute's walk from th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shezalina
Dear shezalina,

Many thanks for your review. It is wonderful to see that you had such a nice time during your stay and that you enjoyed so many aspects of our resort and our services.

I also agree 100% with what you mention in the end of your review and I think it is important to emphasize this. Those looking for a peaceful and relaxing holiday in natural, tropical surroundings are likely to be very satisfied with our hotel. We cannot offer extensive night-life or entertainment within walking distance, but as you mention, the busy life of Chaweng is only 15 minutes away (Fisherman’s Village is only 5 minutes away) and we do offer complimentary shuttle buses for our guests to go there three times every day. The feedback from most of our guests is that they are happy to have a calm and relaxing home base, as opposed to having to escape from their base in order to relax. We understand that every traveller has different hopes and expectations and for us it is extremely important to be honest, so guests can be confident with what they are booking. I appreciate that you raise this point for future travellers to see.

I would like to add that not all Deluxe Balcony rooms have ocean views and guests who are looking for spectacular views should book our Sunset Suites, which offer perhaps the best sunset/ocean views on Maenam beach for a very reasonable rate. Guests who are uncertain about what room type to choose are welcome to contact us so we can advise.

Again thank you for your kind and valuable feedback. We are looking forward to welcome you back during your next trip to Koh Samui.

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Fair House during my trip to Thailand last month. The atmosphere and the location was just what I was looking for. Beautiful natural surroundings, peaceful and relaxing. The staff was the highlight. Everyone from the driver to the receptionists and especially the lovely restaurant team really made my stay memorable and helps give the hotel a unique charm. We went to Chaweng a few nights with the hotel shuttle bus, but I was always happy to get back to the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is not looking for a party holiday, but prefer to relax and recuperate in wonderful surroundings during their holiday. I will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank max P
Dear Casey T,

Many thanks for your review. I am thrilled that you and your friends enjoyed your time with us. I think you really hit the nail on the head with your description of what type of travellers would enjoy Fair House Villas & Spa and I am convinced that anyone who fits this description will have a great time with us. I am glad that you were happy with your choice and it was great to have you here during your holiday. We are already looking forward to your next stay.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed in a Beachfront Pool Villa. The pictures and description look and sound great, but maybe my expectations were too high after staying at the property next door.

The beachfront pool villa is actually two rooms combined into one and slightly remodelled to make the second bedroom into a living room. The use of space is not optimal.

Pros:
+ Nice views of the ocean
+ Decent main pool with jacuzzi-like pressure
+ Pool bar, with very friendly bartender

Cons:
- the room was not up to expectations, being rather dark and badly designed (see above)
- the pool in the villa is too small for swimming, you can only sit in it. It is also not clean with leaves and dead insects in it
- in the evenings the hotel grounds are very dark as the grounds are badly lit
- check-out was a disater. Staff were very inexperienced and there were angry guests yelling at the front desk agents. Check-out being the last memory of a stay, this is indeed unfortunate.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hennessyparadis
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear hennessyparadis,

Many thanks for your review of your stay in March last year. I am glad you enjoyed the ocean views, our pool and our pool bar during your time here, but I am sorry that you felt underwhelmed by our Beach Front Villas. I can understand that it felt like a drop in standards compared to the 5-star property next door where you stayed before you arrived, although I assume the move came with a considerable drop in price as well.

It is correct that our Beach Front Villas are basically two Pool Villas which have been joined together and one of the rooms is made into a living area in order to accommodate guests who require more space. I am sorry you did not feel that the space was not ideally used. We will have a look at it and see what we can do to improve it and I appreciate your input on this.

We now have standards implemented to clean all the private pools once per day. It can obviously happen that the occasional leaf or a bug falls in the pool outside this time, especially when there is a bit of wind, but we try our best to keep the private pools clean for our guests. I apologize if this was not done properly during your time here.

I am sorry that the check-out was such a negative experience for you. I cannot remember this particular situation, but I can definitely understand that it was unpleasant and that it was not a nice final memory to take with you. It is certainly not how we would like our guests to remember us.

I would like to point out that since your stay (almost 12 months ago), we have taken considerable, and successful, steps to improve our standards and I am confident that if you were to come back today, you would leave us with a different impression. We have also taken steps to improve the night time lighting and we are planning a complete switch to LED lighting, which will help the brightness levels. I appreciate your comments on this. It is certainly not our intention that our guests are uncomfortable in our public areas at night.

Once again thank you for your candid review. I wish you all the best for your future travels and a nice start to the spring season at home in Finland.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed for close to a couple of weeks and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is oceanfront and is great for swimming with calm clean waters. The grounds are well maintained with a lot of effort put into landscaping. The resort facilities are what you'd expect from most resorts but not always in working order. The rooms were fine with comfortable beds, there's only one cupboard in the bathroom with a safe for free use. Breakfast is consumed in the only restaurant which has great ocean views. Breakfast is basic but more than adequate. Restaurant staff are friendly, efficient and eager to assist. The restaurant also serves a good lunch and dinner but is a little expensive, something you'd expect from most resorts. The only critique would be the lack of English skills at reception where requests were usually met by a blank stare. On the whole I would very much recommend this resort and hope to be back some day.

Room Tip: Try and get a room close to the beach as the resort is on a hill and some units appear quite difficu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BangkokMidas
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear BangkokMidas,

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind feedback. We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and it means a lot to us that you recommend us to future travelers.

As for your room tip, I just wanted to emphasize that we have six different options. Three of these room categories (Deluxe Balcony, Sunset Jaccuzi and Sunset Suite) are located in our chalet zone on the hill side. As you correctly mention, these rooms are located a bit further away from the swimming pool, beach and restaurant. However, because of the hillside location some of these rooms can offer perhaps the best ocean views on Meanam beach. For people who are not comfortable with a bit of walking we generally recommend to avoid these room categories, although we are happy to provide buggy service to and from the rooms. For people who value ocean view, our chalet zone rooms are perfect, especially our Sunset Suites.

I am sorry to read that you experienced problems with the communication in our reception desk. Language training is always an ongoing process and while we understand that we sometimes need to be patient with our staff while they are learning, it is important to us that our guests are comfortable communicating with our staff. We certainly want our guests to feel that they are understood and are able to get the information they require. We will continue our work to achieve this goal. I appreciate your honest comments on this.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We moved to Fair house Villas after 1 night reluctantly spend in Bhundari Spa, it was such a relief to come to somewhere with clean ponds etc around the hotel lobby!!
We had to pay a fair bit extra to stay here but it was completely worth it.. I was ready to get on a plain and come home!!
The staff were totally accommodating, the "happy hours" were a welcome saving and the food was fab.
We stayed in the Luxury pool villa room for the first 3 nights (we wanted this for the whole time but it was already booked) followed by the Sunset Suite... I am unsure as to why the pool villa is rated higher than the Sunset Sweet as we were very happy with the "downgrade!".. The room was bigger, outdoor area was much smaller but had a balcony overlooking the amazing view and sunset with a jacuzzi bath (and pull down blinds :-) )
The breakfast was very good, the Thai option in my opinion was mostly fantastic but i felt that some of the fresh produce could have been more undercover.. But hubby had no issues!
Resort was very quite in the evening, but through no fault of the resort, it was just so easy to visit other parts of the island for nightlife and restaurants... Especially nearby Fisherman's Village!... Although the staff put on a great New Years Eve party and we also had a Thai night in resort which gave us opportunity to try different dishes!
The hotel offer a taxi service which is very reasonable and also moped hire.. Which was very cheap and lots of fun!
We visited the whole of the island and found many places off the beaten track to eat.. Roughly £10 between 2 for 2 courses, side orders and beers... Plus i had water too!
Its very safe to travel around on moped and much cheaper/easier than planned excursions!
People are great, very friendly and very respectful and everywhere is clean.
YOU MUST TRY THE STICKY RICE AND MANGO FROM THE LADY IN FISHERMAN'S VILLAGE OPPOSITE THE HAPPY ELEPHANT!!
As a summary...... We would happily come back to the Fair House Villas but would choose the sunset suite without hesitation, cant say enough how accommodating and friendly the staff were!!

Room Tip: Go for the sunset suite!!! Amazing view with big rooms and beds!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T27TSJ
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear T27TSJ,

Thank you for staying with us for taking the time to write this review of your stay with us. It makes me both happy and proud that we were able to turn the disappointing holiday you were having in another hotel into such a positive experience at Fair House Villas & Spa.

I am glad you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. The good impression our staff made on you is a highlight for me to read, as always, and especially because you stayed with us in peak season when our staff was working under a lot of pressure to keep everything smooth. It makes me incredibly proud to see that they were able to make such a good impression on our guests, even in this period.

I agree with you that hiring a moped is a good and cheap way to get around the island independently, although the traffic can take a bit of getting used to for some people. I am glad you got to explore around the island and discover some of Samui’s hidden treasures.

The choice between our Sunset Suites and Pool Villas has been much debated in different reviews. Both are great options, especially for couples. Sunset Suites offer perhaps the best ocean views on Maenam Beach and a slightly bigger living bedroom area, but require a bit more walking as some guests have pointed out. Our Pool Villas have very large bathrooms, are closer to the pool/beach and offer a private garden area with a sala and a private pool. If anyone is insecure about their room choice, please send us an email and we will do our best to help find the best option.

I also appreciate that you have taken the time to give some recommendations to our future travellers on things to do while on Samui. As a big fan of mango with sticky rice I have to agree that the one served opposite the Happy Elephant during the Friday market is excellent. I do however feel that it is quite overpriced and when you come next time I will show you where you can get the same quality for a fraction of the price among other good tips for your moped excursions.

Again thank you for your heart-warming review. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Fair House in November 2012, and have only one complaint really - no conditioner in the bathroom. I usually pack hair products but didn't since it seemed like such a nice place, thought they would have what I need...but no conditioner!
Lovely, clean, calm room that was well cleaned daily and had a HUGE bathroom with both a large shower and very large bathtub. I think the bathroom was almost as big as our Hong Kong apartment.
The staff was wonderful and helpful, especially with our 20 month old son - he loved everyone there. Having breakfast at the restaurant with the nice view out over the sea was great, and there were many food options plus things to keep the picky toddler happy. Not much of a beach but from what I saw, I don't think Koh Samui beaches are all that great anyway, at least not around the NE corner.
At the restaurant we always had the same table for breakfast which my son loved, he would walk right to it. The staff was so attentive to him.

It is pretty isolated, and a bit of a walk to any sort of restaurant option besides what is at the hotel or the adjacent W (Japanese food). So that was a drawback b/c taxi fares are expensive; you have to call for a taxi and wait. The dinner at the restaurant was fine, not fantastic. The pad thai was good, pizzas were good, but in general it was so-so but many nights (especially with a toddler) we didn't feel like taking a taxi to the next town.
Bed was hard, as is typical, but a nice king size bed with crisp clean white sheets and really no mosquitos - room was great and I slept well on the hard bed.
For kids, the pool is good, they have pool toys, and you can walk around the property and could even scoot around if you had a scooter or something...they did not readily have a crib/cot but were able to find one from a neighboring hotel. Property is very pretty, and I like all the villas with their own entry and deck rather than one large building.
Koh Samui is not my favorite island so we won't be going back but if there was a Fair House in other locations I would stay there again!

Did try snorkeling off the beach - terrible visibility and nothing much to see. I love swimming in the ocean or sea, but in this case sticking to the wonderful pool is your best option. Did not get a chance to get a massage in the spa, and regret missing that although the cheapest massages are found on the busier beaches.

When we were there it was quite empty, quiet and relaxing, so having a room that faced the pool was fine - no noise. We were always the first ones at breakfast and in the pool b/c of our son. There is a barrier between the villas and pool that is a nice buffer.

The grounds are amazing, like a lush retreat. Frangipani everywhere!

Room Tip: If you have a child, you may want one of the rooms closer to the restaurant and facing the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Titianhairedsleuth
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Titianhairedsleuth,

Many thanks for your long and informative review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. It is always exciting for our staff when we have young children staying with us and they really do love taking care of them. I am glad your son enjoyed the attention. As always, my favourite positive feedback to receive is about our staff and I am glad that our team was able to make such a positive impression on you as well.

It is great that you enjoyed your room. The specious bathrooms in our Garden Villas, Pool Villas and Beach Front Villas (which have two such bathrooms) are a big hit among many of our guests. I apologize for the inconvenience of not having conditioner in the bathroom. We will look into the possibility of adding this to the standard amenities. Thank you for your feedback on this.

Thank you also for your kind feedback on the grounds and the tropical garden atmosphere. We put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and presentation of our property, as we believe this is an essential part of a relaxing holiday. We have all kinds of tropical vegetation throughout our property and our aim is for the hotel to blend in with the nature as much as possible. In our organic garden our guests can see a wide range of tropical fruits, herbs and vegetables growing. As for the frangipanis which you mention, we have many different varieties and colours spread around the area. I am glad your family enjoyed it.

Again thank you for your helpful and informative feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Operation Manager
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!