“Worked well with a toddler!”

Fair House Villas & Spa
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Hong Kong, China
“Worked well with a toddler!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Fair House in November 2012, and have only one complaint really - no conditioner in the bathroom. I usually pack hair products but didn't since it seemed like such a nice place, thought they would have what I need...but no conditioner!
Lovely, clean, calm room that was well cleaned daily and had a HUGE bathroom with both a large shower and very large bathtub. I think the bathroom was almost as big as our Hong Kong apartment.
The staff was wonderful and helpful, especially with our 20 month old son - he loved everyone there. Having breakfast at the restaurant with the nice view out over the sea was great, and there were many food options plus things to keep the picky toddler happy. Not much of a beach but from what I saw, I don't think Koh Samui beaches are all that great anyway, at least not around the NE corner.
At the restaurant we always had the same table for breakfast which my son loved, he would walk right to it. The staff was so attentive to him.

It is pretty isolated, and a bit of a walk to any sort of restaurant option besides what is at the hotel or the adjacent W (Japanese food). So that was a drawback b/c taxi fares are expensive; you have to call for a taxi and wait. The dinner at the restaurant was fine, not fantastic. The pad thai was good, pizzas were good, but in general it was so-so but many nights (especially with a toddler) we didn't feel like taking a taxi to the next town.
Bed was hard, as is typical, but a nice king size bed with crisp clean white sheets and really no mosquitos - room was great and I slept well on the hard bed.
For kids, the pool is good, they have pool toys, and you can walk around the property and could even scoot around if you had a scooter or something...they did not readily have a crib/cot but were able to find one from a neighboring hotel. Property is very pretty, and I like all the villas with their own entry and deck rather than one large building.
Koh Samui is not my favorite island so we won't be going back but if there was a Fair House in other locations I would stay there again!

Did try snorkeling off the beach - terrible visibility and nothing much to see. I love swimming in the ocean or sea, but in this case sticking to the wonderful pool is your best option. Did not get a chance to get a massage in the spa, and regret missing that although the cheapest massages are found on the busier beaches.

When we were there it was quite empty, quiet and relaxing, so having a room that faced the pool was fine - no noise. We were always the first ones at breakfast and in the pool b/c of our son. There is a barrier between the villas and pool that is a nice buffer.

The grounds are amazing, like a lush retreat. Frangipani everywhere!

Room Tip: If you have a child, you may want one of the rooms closer to the restaurant and facing the pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Titianhairedsleuth
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Titianhairedsleuth,

Many thanks for your long and informative review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. It is always exciting for our staff when we have young children staying with us and they really do love taking care of them. I am glad your son enjoyed the attention. As always, my favourite positive feedback to receive is about our staff and I am glad that our team was able to make such a positive impression on you as well.

It is great that you enjoyed your room. The specious bathrooms in our Garden Villas, Pool Villas and Beach Front Villas (which have two such bathrooms) are a big hit among many of our guests. I apologize for the inconvenience of not having conditioner in the bathroom. We will look into the possibility of adding this to the standard amenities. Thank you for your feedback on this.

Thank you also for your kind feedback on the grounds and the tropical garden atmosphere. We put a lot of effort into the atmosphere and presentation of our property, as we believe this is an essential part of a relaxing holiday. We have all kinds of tropical vegetation throughout our property and our aim is for the hotel to blend in with the nature as much as possible. In our organic garden our guests can see a wide range of tropical fruits, herbs and vegetables growing. As for the frangipanis which you mention, we have many different varieties and colours spread around the area. I am glad your family enjoyed it.

Again thank you for your helpful and informative feedback. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Vigbjorn Hassel Vaage
Operation Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Shanghai
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is really a great hotel in a very nice and green environment. The hotel is very clean and offers excellent service, in all facilities.
Our business group especially enjoyed the tranquil and peaceful atmosphere of the hotel, far away from all hectic spots and party freaks - it is a fantastic place, not only for stressed managers.
The rooms are quite spacious and built and decorated in genuine Thai style.
The hotel's management and staff are extremely dedicated on customer service - with a very professional and friendly attitude.
I took the opportunity to book the next stay, together with my wife, at this highly recommended hotel and we look forward to it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank G
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Frank,

Many thanks for your review. It was a great pleasure having your business group here and offering you guys a chance to unwind from the busy life in Shanghai. This is exactly what we aim for and it is always rewarding for us to get positive feedback like this from our guests. And as always, the feedback on our staff makes me very proud. They really are a fantastic group of people who serve from their hearts and always do their best to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy.

We are very excited that you have decided to come back so soon and we are looking forward to welcome your wife to our resort. We are glad you could leave us with recharged batteries and we wish you and your business partners a successful time ahead.
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We're back in cold and wet England and the balmy heat of Thailand is a beautiful memory . Our arrival at Fair House was greeted with traditional Thai courtesy from all the reception team and we were offered a cold drink and a cool place to sit while we filled in the registration. Then off to our beautiful garden villa by golf buggy. A large, airy and beautiful bungalow with a view of the beach. We upgraded to a pool suite which was fabulous. I can't recommend the hotel and the staff enough, they went the extra mile to make our stay completely pleasurable. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were happy to help. Restaurant can be a little quiet some nights but we went to the Fishermans village quite a lot and there's so much choice there. Breakfast was bountiful and the view from the restaurant gorgeous . Roll on next year ! I'll be back .

Room Tip: Check out your room location as some are very high up the hillside. Great views but oxygen masks are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeanieg1090
Dear Jeanie,

Thank you for staying at Fair House Villas & Spa and thank you for this kind review. I am thrilled that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and your kind words about our staff make me very proud. I know that our staff really enjoyed getting to know you both during your time here and we are definitely looking forward to welcoming you back again next year. In the meantime, we wish you all the best.
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review right from my balcony of the suset suite of the hotel in the mid-time of our stay. We booked a garden villa and upgraded to the jacuzzi room right after arrival. Our room (115) has a amazing view over the hotel's garden, the sea and the most perfect sunset. The room is spacy and offers a large full fitted bathroom, tv, DVD with Dolby surround sound, minibar and a balcony with a private jacuzzi. It is well cleaned every day and in good condition, as well as everything else in the hotel.

Staff, specially the ladies at the front desk, are very friendly and always very helpful. English is no problem.

The bungalows of the hotel are located in an dense tropical garden with gives the hotel it's special atmosphere. A highlight is the pool area. It is not very crowded these days and a good place to relax. Most of the guests seem to be couples, there are only a few children around. As there is no animation or anything else, it is always calm.

As others stated before, the beach directly in front of the hotel is a bit small. We find this is not a fail at all. You always find a nice place under a palm tree and it is absolutely nice and well cleaned.

If you want to have "more action" there is a free shuttle service to Chaweng several times a day. If you want to go by taxi at any time it is about 300 baht, which is a also acceptible price.

We have been to Chaweng beach once and have been happy to return to our "private beach" afterwards.

There are some shops at the main street which about 500 meters from the hotel. The front desk staff was always happily willing to bring us there in a golf cart.

Fair house villas & spa is the perfect hotel for anyone who wants to have a relaxed holiday, is not missing animation and is able to organize his day trips on his own, if wanted.

I will continue my review after the end of our stay. So far this hotel gets my personal 5 stars!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andre B
Mumbai
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here and loved every bit of it. We had one of the pool villas. The room was spacious, clean and lovely. The hotel is at par with five star resorts. The service was friendly. The staff were very helpful and really helped make our stay fun and comfortable. The food was great. Hotel service and hospitality was excellent and would respond quickly to any phone requests. The resort is amazing with lots of greenery an small wildlife creatures. The restaurant serves amazing thai food and a yummy.

1 Thank KaranKapoor
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear KaranKapoor,

Thank you for this kind review and for spending your honeymoon with is.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us and that you liked our food, service, vegetation and of course your room. It is great that you felt we were on par with five star resorts. We always aim to exceed expectations and we are happy we succeeded doing so for you.

Again thank you for your feedback. It was great to have you here and we hope to welcome you back during your next trip to Koh Samui.
G-town
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our experience was an extremely pleasurable one. Upon our arrival at the Hotel, we were very pleased to see that it was exactly as one would want if one wanted to experience an "Asian Flair". That is to say, it wasn't a steel and concrete edifice with hundreds of guests at one time. The reception staff was very helpfull and seemed genuinely happy to have us. Our Bungalow was clean and although the furniture wasn't "brand new", it was in very good shape and well maintained. The bathroom was spacious, clean, professionally maintained and well lit.

The pool and beach area was compact, well maintained and very clean. The Restaurant and Bar area was exactly what one would dream of to design for private use. The staff there was always pleasent, friendly, courteous and professional. I would rate them as an "A". Although the food was very good, after two weeks, I was ready for another cuisine.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Fair House Villas & Spa for anyone who wants to sit back, relax and just forget about the daily stress. It is not a "Party Hotel" nor did it seem to have a childrens program, nevertheless, it has other amenities that truly give meaning to the term "vacation".

1 Thank Mark C
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for coming to stay with us over Christmas and thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you and Eva enjoyed the “Asian flair” and peaceful atmosphere of our resort. Our aim is exactly that, to create the ideal setting for our guests to relax and recuperate from a busy life at home. I am happy that we were successful in doing so for you. Most of all I am glad to read your kind feedback on our staff members, who are always doing working hard to ensure the comfort and happiness of our guests.

It was a great pleasure to have you here and we enjoyed getting to know you during your stay. I hope your restaurant is doing well. We are looking forward to staying in touch and we are looking forward to your next visit.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon in Thailand, and chose to stay at Fair House Villas & Spa during our stay in Koh Samui. I'm glad we made that decision for several reasons:

1. From the wait-staff at the restaurant to the management-staff and everyone else we encountered, the employees of the resort were all approachable, accommodating, and friendly.
2. Location is great if you want to be 10 minutes away from the action, but not in the midst of 20 year old party-goers who listen to techno for 6 hours straight. In other words, it's a few miles from the craziness but that's not a bad thing.
3. Our villa had a great view of the mountains, ocean, and resort. It seemed that many of the villas had a similar view.
4. Great pool with easy beach access
5. Clean rooms with all the necessary amenities.

We had a great time celebrating New Year's Eve at the hotel and got to meet the owner as well. Very nice guy with a kind heart who cares about the guests that stay at his resort. This is a great place for honeymooners and family-goers alike. I highly recommend Fair House Villas & Spa.

Dear Sid M,

Many thanks for your kind review. Your kind words are much appreciated and we are glad you enjoyed the service, location and of course your room. We are glad you decided to include Samui in your honeymoon destinations so we got the chance to meet with you and your wife. It was a great pleasure for the whole team to have you here. It was also great fun celebrating NYE with you guys and we are glad you enjoyed it as well.

We sincerely hope we will have the chance to welcome you back some day in the future. In the meantime we are looking forward to staying in touch with you and we wish you a prosperous and successful year 2013 at home in San Francisco.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Code
Code
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,030 reviews
Sensimar Koh Samui (Adults Only Resort)

Been to Fair House Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!