Fair House Villas & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
W Koh Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$571
WHotels.com
Baan Fah Resort Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$41
$32
Agoda.com
Belmond Napasai(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$311
Samui Buri Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$80
$67
Agoda.com
Paradise Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$77
$75
Hacienda Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$32
Official Site
Pinnacle Resort Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$88
$57
Trip.com
Florist Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$31
$23
Code(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$109
$87
Trip.com
Santiburi Koh Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$395
$382
Travelocity
All reviewssunset suiteorganic gardengarden villathe main roadkoh samuiswim up barfisherman's villageour honeymoonjacuzzi on the balconygolf buggylarge bathtubprivate dinnerchaweng beachfree shuttlebeach fronttraditional thaitaxi service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a week over the new year and had an amazing time. We stayed in one of the sunset suites with Jacuzzi. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by friendly staff at reception and were given a quick tour of the hotel in the buggy. Our room was high up on the hill which meant we had to walk up a steep incline each day. This wasn’t a problem for us, being a younger couple, but we can see how it could be difficult for older people or those who are less fit. The room was clean, spacious and immaculately presented when we arrived, with the fresh flowers on the bed and in the bathroom being a nice touch. The room had a great view above the rest of the hotel and the ocean. The one thing which we noticed was the TV was the old box style. A flat screen LCD would have made the room perfect.

We thought our daily breakfast was excellent and the hotel provided a wide range of dishes to choose from. We did however feel the Lunch/Dinner and Snack menu could be improved on.

We chose this hotel because it was away from all the hustle and bustle of the busy areas. The hotel website indicated there was a free shuttle service to Chaweng. When we arrived the hotel staff told us that the free shuttle ran at 1pm, 4pm and 9pm to Chaweng and returned at 4:30pm and 9:30pm. We were told we had to book at least an hour in advance. We often found ourselves having to book at least a day in advance as the shuttle bus only had ten seats and booked up quickly. On one occasion all of the shuttles were full and we had to pay 400 baht each way to Chaweng. We thought that given the hotel was well out of the way from major restaurants and nightlife areas, it was unfair that we had to cough up 800 baht just because the shuttle was full. More frequent shuttle services would make Fairhouse a more attractive place to stay. Nearby Bo Phut offers some great dining experiences but the shuttle does not go here so we had to pay 300 baht each way. We did take advantage of the scooter hire which was a lot cheaper at 300 baht for 24hours, but this was a less safer option at night and given the amount of traffic on the roads at this time of year.

We spent our time by the pool which overlooked the ocean making it a great place to relax. We made the most of the pool bar in particular the happy hours which included the midday and afternoon sessions. We did however feel the poolside toilet could be renovated or completely removed. My girlfriend wouldn’t use it and instead had to use the ones in the restaurant. The free kayaks were a hit with us, and we were able to paddle all down the coast to check out the rest of the bay. Our only criticism was the slippery steps on entry to the water. This was very dangerous and could cause serious injury quite easily. A simple fix would be to cover the steps in non-slip rubber mats and add hand rails to the side.

We spent new years at the hotels Glow in the Dark party which was fun. We could see the hotel staff had gone to a lot of effort to make it memorable, and although it rained heavily that night we still had a great evening.

While there are a few recurring issues in the reviews for this hotel which need to be addressed, we would definitely stay here again and recommend it to our friends and family.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a few stairs, the sunset rooms with balcony are an excellent choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Bradantha_54,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are happy that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your stay with us and we are proud that you left with such a positive impression of the room, the view from your Sunset Suite, our staff, our New Year’s Event and the breakfast buffet.

Taking advantage of our kayak offering to explore down Maenam beach is a fun idea and a great alternative to walking up and down.

You raise a very good point regarding the shuttle schedule and I think it is very unfortunate that you were not able to take advantage of our free shuttle service on certain days due to the high demand. During most of the year these three trips are enough for all our guests, but we will consider adding more trips during the busiest periods, to make sure all our guests can enjoy the shuttle service. Your feedback on this is much appreciated and helps us improve our service offering.

A deep renovation of the pool bathroom has now been ordered. We are also considering taking it away and moving it somewhere else, as the small space makes it challenging to create a nice, functional bathroom at the standard we would like. All our pool guests are always more than welcome to use the bathrooms in the restaurant.

I am also sorry you got one of the few remaining rooms which does not have a flat screen TV yet. We have made the switch in most of our rooms and for the remaining rooms they are ordered already.

Again many thanks for your candid and helpful review. It was great to have you here and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again some day.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband & 2 children ( 8 & 4) had the most wonderful time at this hotel ( december 23rd to Jan 3rd). What we wanted was peace and we slept like babies every night. Our 2 villas were very well located close to the beach and a short walk to the reception. After reading some of the reviews, it exceeded my expectations. I was expecting no beach, but in fact the beach which is a few steps away from the hotel is very relaxing & peaceful and always safe for our children to swim in it.We went to Chawen, Choeng mon beach & Bophut beach and we were always most happy to head back to our little secluded beach. The bar on that beach is great & I can recommand the Aromepathy massage there. I thought it would be too far out, but we were always able to get a buggy free of charge to take up to the main road. And the walk is really not that far. My children managed it anyways!
My kids had a great time playing in the pool and I was happy to see they provided us with swim toys, they also put up a badminton net and a dart board. We also enjoyed the free use of the kayaks but the steps to get on the boat are very slippery & dangerous. My children also enjoyed the tree planting.
As for as the price in the restaurant and the new year's eve diner, well, this has been the case in all resorts we have stayed in South Asia. Hotels will also charge higher prices. My only desappointment was that the tai food was cooked for westerns so really no spicy at all. If you want to try out real thai food, you really need to go to local restaurants. I can also recommand the Fisherman's village and its night market on Friday evening. It's a 10 minute taxi drive and my kids loved it. A drink on Bophut beach is also very pleasant.

The suggestions we have is that the pool could be cleaned a bit better especially the area provided to clean the feet. They should also make sure they have enough towels when the pool opens at 8.00 am. And for people who have chosen this hotel because they have a gym, well, don't bother. the gym is useless and the 2 treadmills they had were not even working.

All in all, a resort I will definitely recommand to my friends here back in HK . We loved Kho Samui and the choise of this resort probably the main reason.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank olympehk

Dear olympebern,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Fair House Villas & Spa and thank you for writing this review. We are proud that we exceeded your expectations and happy that you had a wonderful time in our resort. We are also happy that your children enjoyed our activity offer in the pool/beach area.

Your constructive feedback is very helpful and much appreciated.

Regarding the spiciness of the Thai food, it will always be a fine balance. Many guests enjoy authentic (spicy) Thai food, while others are interested in trying our famous Thai dishes, but are not used to the level of spiciness the original recipe has. Therefore, we have decided to find a balance between the two, as we do not want to serve food which some of our guests is unable to eat. However, our chefs are more than happy to prepare these dishes more spicy if requested to do so. This is what many of our Thai guests do, they simply ask for more spice or add extra chili separately.

The unfortunate case of slippery steps on our beach access was a result of algae attaching itself to the steps during the unusually high tide in December. I apologize for this safety concern, which has been resolved using high pressure cleaning.

Our new treadmill has now arrived but is awaiting installation. I apologize to all our active guests who have been unable to use treadmills during their stay this past month.

Again thank you for staying with us and thank you for your helpful review. It was a great pleasure having you and your family here and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Fair View in a sunset Jacuzzi room for 9 days and had a fantastic time. Having read so mixed reviews for the place I was slightly apprehensive especially as we had booked to stay over Christmas however we couldn't really fault the place.

The room was huge, comfy and stylish. The bathroom had a big bath as well as a separate shower. Our balcony was equally as big with a Jacuzzi bath and some chairs. Everything was spotless.

The breakfast was excellent and had a good range of food, from Thai cuisine to baked beans, toast, cakes, salad and fresh fruit. There was an egg stand where you could order eggs any which way you wanted. A La Carte food was mixed of Thai and western cuisine both of which were of a high standard. Service in the restaurant was extremely good. I found most of the staffs English to also be very good also.

There were some issues that other reviewers had brought up that concerned me when I read them such as the beach, or lack of it. It's true that there isn't much of a beach in front of the hotel especially when tide is high however if you walk 1 metre left of the resort you have a huge beach. The beach is complete with a beach bar which is much cheaper that the hotel bar. Although avoid the coconuts from this place they taste horrendous.

As for the complaints about the coral I have no idea what people are talking about. The coral was quite far away from the shore and had markers around it so you could see where it was. My partner and I swam around in the water lots and never come across it.

Another reviewer was concerned over the climb to where the Jacuzzi rooms are which is quite steep however anyone under the age of 60 should be able to climb it, there's around 30 steps it's not Everest. However older people and or people with kids might like to avoid this part of the hotel.

This is not a 3 star hotel as someone else has reviewed it as. I've stayed 3 stars and 5 stars in Ko Samui and this is definitely not a 3 star.

The only thing I did have a slight issue with was the pricing of the food and drink. It was on the expensive side for Thailand. I felt that the hotel played on the fact that there isn’t many food or drink options near so they can charge a lot. In fact the New Year’s Eve party they had was 5000 Thai Baht a ticket per person without drinks included for dinner, music and fireworks which I thought was a bit steep!

To remedy the above problem, as previously mentioned there’s a cheap beach bar 25m to the left of the hotel along the beach and also there’s a mini supermarket around 100m on the right of the hotel if you go through the main gate.

Overall a lovely hotel, would definitely return again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear AnnaT3,

Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your stay with us. We are thrilled that you and your partner had such a nice time here at Fair House Villas & Spa and that you enjoyed the space and comfort of your room, your private balcony with Jacuzzi, the variety and quality of our breakfast, the standard of the a la carte menu and I am especially proud that you complimented the service quality at our hotel.

As you correctly point out, the walk up to our “chalet zone”, where our Deluxe Balcony, Sunset Jacuzzi and Sunset Suite room categories are located is steep but short. Most people will have no problem with this walk. In addition, we are happy to provide buggy service for any guests who are not comfortable with or in the mood for this walk. The same goes for guests who do not feel like walking to the nearby shops or the main road. Our drivers are happy to take you there if asked.

Your observations about our beach and our corals are also correct. Our Coral Preservation Project is an important part of our Green Project and is something we are very involved with and proud of. The corals themselves take little space and are planted around 20 meters outside our beach. They are clearly marked and should not cause any difficulty for swimmers.

Compulsory New Year’s Events is something most hotels on Samui arrange to handle the extremely high demand on this night. It is always difficult to please everyone with these events and I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with the value of this event. Although the drinks were not included in the package, we offered open bar packages for all our guests where they could drink as much as they wanted all night for only 500 baht, meaning we were selling our beverages at a loss. Although it was not as big of a problem as it was for other hotels with outside events, the vast amounts of rain made this year’s event a bit tricky and we had to move or cancel some set-up outside on short notice. Overall we were very happy with the event and we had a great time celebrating with our guests. Do not forget to check out the photo album from the event on our facebook page.

Again I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your valuable feedback. We wish you a prosperous year 2013 and hope to welcome you back to Fair House Villas & Spa soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is one of my best stays ever ! .. Thanks to the amazing hospitality .. I will surely recommend a stay here if anyone is visiting Koh Samui.. Amazing Surrounding to relax and unwind .. Specially with the location being a little remote and away from the crowded areas..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
FairHouseVillas, Manager at Fair House Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Dwaipayan1981,

Thank you for your review, your kind words and your recommendation. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back some day soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a wonderful week stay here to kick off our honeymoon. Staff very friendly and attentive, clean and spacious rooms (stayed in one of the pool villas, definitely recommend!), cold ac and nice pool. Yes the pool deck loungers could use some updating but that didn't ruin it. Swimup bar was nice and not too expensive. Sand here is a bit rocky so definitely wear shoes around.

I'd suggest walking down the road to the right of the hotel to new star restaurant, even if its empty! Trust me, darn good food made all by one very skilled very very pregnant woman! There's also a little grocery next door where you can purchase super cheap beers to bring back to the hotel! There's also a place called beach,way monk bar on the way back to fairhouse. If you are feeling adventurous check it out, you'll find yourself in a weird little bar drinking with three old Thai men outside in front of a Bon fire listening to reggae!

Dear Sunburnseasily,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you were satisfied with your stay in you Pool Villa and that you enjoyed your private pool, our attentive service and pool bar service.

It is also nice that you got to explore a little bit around the area. Although Maenam beach is relatively relaxing and quiet, there are some local gems to be found within short distance of the hotel, and the beach is very nice for walking up and down.

Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.