“A piece of slow on a fast island.”

About Cafe' Koh Samui
Ranked #16 of 116 Restaurants in Mae Nam
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We're just a small cafe' with simple menu .We're not a Luxury Cafe' and not even close to be perfect but we provide an exceptional experience for you.Welcome to About Cafe', we open 7.30 Am. - 5 Pm.(Close every Sunday) & free WIFI for customers.Sometimes the happiness is very simple, not complicated at all :))
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My partner and myself found this gorgeous cafe the first morning of our trip to Mae Nam(thank you Tripadvisor), and we came back every morning(and some lunchtimes) for the week.

If you are looking for a Starbucks or a Costa cafe or some other place where they write your name on a cup and you feel special, then this is not the place for you.
If you are looking for an experience where you can sit, think, and watch the world go by, then this is perfect for you.

A trip to AboutCafe is an experience, it is being welcomed inside the mind of the owner Koy, who is a gentle considerate soul. It is obvious in how everything is placed in the cafe, and in the way everything is given and taken, that peace and calm are of the highest priority to Koy.

You may not notice the extra touches(such as how the fans are adjusted to benefit everyone best as people come and go, or the unique and humourous selection of cups and cutlery that your order is served in) but they are there. I am a bit pedantic, and in one breakfast sitting, I counted 17 acts of thoughtfulness Koy and her staff showed to their guests.

I am a big fan of the Propaganda range of cups/mugs, and this is the only cafe I have found in Thailand and its Islands that showcase this great Thai brand. A huge thumbs-up from me.

Her personal interests and artwork are the decor. From retro wind-up robots, to her photography portfolios-it seems that everything visual that interests her finds a place without it being cluttered or messy. She has devoted a huge amount of time and space to showcasing her international friends, and uses the wall to share their onward travels with you as you sip your coffee. You could sit all day and just let your eyes wander around the cafe and be entertained. If you are any way interested in the visual, pick up one of Koy's photography portfolios and let your eyes wander over each page, trying to imagine her thought processes as she composed her photos. I loved them ! Some very original and unique compositions to my eyes.

The coffee and food, to my taste, were excellent. Her french blend coffee was the nicest I have tasted in Thailand. As a previous reviewer said, if something is not on the menu, speak to Koy and she will make it to your liking. In my case, I was looking for an iced mocha, and she made a fantastic one. I stopped by for one to take out mostly every afternoon after that.

Koy herself is quiet and thoughtful as previously stated. She is however extremely warm and sincere and friendly when spoken to, and that for me is the point. As she said herself in a previous reply, It is her heart she is putting into everything, and I truly believe that is what is responsible for the results. She works hard to make each person's experience the best it can be. For some, I think they completely miss it, and for others, it is sincerely appreciated.

Thank you Koy !!

2  Thank Jamesobrady

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I truly do not understand why this one is rank #2 on Samui. Coffee medium, served in the wrong cup. Decor very basic and old... but a bit original. The staff have a room in the back where you can hear the Thai TV from your table. 5 small tables only. Prices a more than correct but I didn't eat there so cannot review the food. Still a mystery why #2 on all Samui

Aboutkoy, Owner at About Cafe' Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Pat Pilon

I understand that feelings are subjective and I am sorry that About cafe was not the right fit for you.

I am shocked to read your review as it is in very stark contrast to what the overwhelming majority of the people say who use my services.

Below is my view and hope to help you understand

When I started out developing About café I did so with a healthy disregard to the impossible.
I decided to create a small cafe that provides an open and welcoming atmosphere for all travellers.Thank you for noticing the originality to my place as I am someone whom studying art for many years and my love for Art is on par with my love for food.
I wanted to create a place, that is a testament to the true meaning of hospitality with relaxed surroundings, yummy & simple food at reasonable prices even though its not the biggest I have opened my heart when creating this place & hoped people would feel this fortunately most do which I’m very grateful. A place where we facilitate joy and help in creating fun and wonderful memories whilst people are on holiday.

In regards to the television well Thai TV is on in Thailand however if you found it too loud and requested for me to turn the volume down for you I would happily have done so for you.

In regards to the cups. Please if you can tell me if there is a certain type of cup coffee can be served in i.e. a global standard please I would like you to show me feel free to email on napatsarot@hotmail.com if it helps me improve my service then I would happily use them. With the cups I currently use there are images on them that provide humor & with this hope it can help someone feel good whilst enjoying their beverage.

I knew that this goal is ambitious and sadly have to accept that not everyone can equally love my small café that I have put my heart and soul into.

But just to clarify if you read the description by me on trip advisor you would know it’s very humble no exageration to ensure there is no misconception before anyone comes here.

If you ever do wish to come in and try my cuisine please be assured you are very welcome. I hope this helps you to understand.

I hope you will enjoy the rest of your stay on

Best Wishes

Koy

Owner

Reviewed May 9, 2013

came here for breakfast last wknd after reading all the great reviews. i love it when places live up to the TA hype, we weren't disappointed! great somewhat quirky feel with lots of photos pinned up everywhere from happy customers and handicrafts for sale. good selection of breakfast choices. went for the fruit, muesli yoghurt option and a banana/coffee smoothie (bit different but not bad!) would happily come again, it's a nice to place to chill out before another traumatic day in the sunshine..

Reviewed May 7, 2013

the coffee, food and service were all fantastic. It is a great little gem that deserves all the praise it gets on trip adviser. we went for breakfast and back later the same day for more coffee. we would have gone back many times but moved to the other side of the island.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Very quite place and owner, who makes all types of breakfasts. It was our favorite place for late breafast. A place with atmospere and care inside.