Belmond Napasai
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The Napasai was in fact a 2nd choice for us when there was an issue with our original choice.... But it proved to be fantastic! Our concerns were the distance from Restaurants, but it was very easy to get a taxi that the resort arranged for you with an agreed price.
The resort is set in beautiful, lush gardens, with the villas all private & secluded.
Nice clean villas but do agree with feedback I read about the problem about the 'turn down' being too early. But spoke to Juan who dealt with this & they came later. Had no problem with sun beds on the beach but the pool was rather busy with lots of families with children... So we stayed on the beach. Wit, the beach guy was brilliant, always ready to help move the sun beds, was always very discrete but very attentive when he served us drinks & food. He is a major asset to the resort.
Beach is lovely, but wish we had taken our beach shoes as it was quite hard on the feet with stones. Not Napasai' fault!
If we were to be critical about anything it would be & agree with another member it would be.. European costings in the resort but in Thailand. Thailand is so cheap to eat & drink out but resort needs a taxi to go anywhere so adds to the cost. The service in the restaurants is good but the food was average, so adding this cost to your overall holiday makes this a more expensive choice.
A shame really as the resort is more expensive to begin with then some very good resorts in Fishermans & they have restaurants on hand. But don't be put off.. The setting, the beach & the most amazing infinity pool ever makes the Napasai a fantastic choice for couples. There are changes being made apparently & a few 'extra ' special touches would make this resort somewhere that won't be beaten!!!
Overall loved the Napasai, thank you everyone there... You all make an amazing special team!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank ToniHertfordshire

Reviewed August 10, 2013

It has been very long time since my First visit at Samui Island. This place used to be very calm and quiet. Today, it becomes fancy.
If you want the calm and quiet atmosphere as it used to be. Napasai Hotel is a good candidate to think about.
The villa is well design that reflects Thai traditional way of life whereas the modern function requirements be perfect.
The services are great and impressive.
It is worth spending your time for a break here , then back to your busy world....

Room Tip: Take to beach front ones.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Stephan P, General Manager at Belmond Napasai, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to host you soon again in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Stephan Post

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Pros
• Lovely beach front villas with well appointed interior design and a really comfortable bed.
• Great view. Beautiful sunsets..
• Charming and personable service. Every single staff and people in management made an effort to personally talk to us at least once.
• Decent breakfast with a wide range of western and Asian options.
• Daily supply of fresh fruit and mineral water
• Clean and well maintained

Cons
• The beach itself isn't great.. grainy sand and slightly muddy in the water
• A distance from most points of interest. Will require a cab ride when you leave the resort.
• Expensive in-house food (same level as Europe)

Room Tip: We had the beach front villa which was nice and secluded. Went to bed leaving the windows open and f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hoa-an B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging words and nice comments.

We hope to be able to great you soon at Napasai.

Yours
Stephan

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Napasaï is a beautiful Hotel and we enjoyed the location so much we came for the second time.
Everything is nice and people are really trying their best but altogether they really have to make an effort to be more efficient. They ask us three times when we would check out, you could sometimes wait for an hour before getting your meal at the restaurant, they organise some activities now but you can feel this is really the beginning (well this is nice they are trying!).
So this is difficult to be negative because the people there are so lovely but to be honest there is room for improvement. Looking forward to going back there to see if this is getting better!!
And thank you for this good time in Napasaï!

1  Thank loladego

Dear Guest,

Your comments are very useful to us so thank you very much for sharing them. Indeed many proposed activities like Thai Boxing, Pilates and Yoga and many more are new and we are working hard to fine-tune them to perfection.

Yours
Stephan

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have spent 10 nights blissful nights at Napasai.

From the moment we arrived we were greeted by a member of the management Iolanda
who was very kind and always made us feel very welcome

I must admit this place has everything for me from beautifully luxurios villa with a sea view the best quality cuisine for my needs (I'm a veggie) with a veggie menu simply delicious coffee.

The beach is just so so geourgeous have spent many hours lazing here aswell.

The spa treatments were great which my and my wife had a massage every day big thank you to Ma great massage and lovely lady.

I also noticed the had a morning activity schedule for Yoga Pilates Legs Bums & Tums stretching.

I was a bit nervous about exercising because I have put on alot of weight and my experiences back home kind makes me cautious but I spoke with Sabrina the activity officer and she reasured me the teacher was very good and patient The classes are done in the secret garden which is lush with natural beauty and very tranquil really enjoyed my kids done the power hour aswell which gave us a welcome break.

. So I decided to give it a go & I met Sean whom was a great teacher in fact I arranged it with Sabrina to do private training with Sean for my wife and me at my villa. Call me selfish but I wanted all the attention on me he was very knowledgable motivating kind and eveything was done with a litttle bit of humour which I found made all that bit more fun to do. Sean gave me a consultation, assesed my posture and suggested the types of training all in the process had taken about 45mins. Sean exposed me to different types of training that gave me an idea of what was enjoyable and effective for and what was not for me. I done Yoga, Pilates, Band resitsance training and some cardio along with nutritional guidance plus I got a programme to take home to keep me on the right track. I really can't thank you enough Sean especially as I have lost 3 kg, There are a few trainers there but I must say I'm so glad I booked with Sean his English is perfect as he is from England it should be. You would need to speak with either Sabrina who's the activities mgr or Sean directly to boook private training with him.

Sabrina was so helpful always made herself available whenever I had any enquiry

Plus I went to the secretss to a flatter stomach seminar great tips in that. Can't tell you though its a secret but go its good.

Also I had arranged snorkeling excusrions through the resort which was so convenient.
My wife has improved her game of tennis (which was urgently needed haha) since by utilizing the courts there.

The swimming pool there is nice and cool in the hot climate clean and well manatained.

All the staff seem to speak good english big plus when you visit Thailand.

I must say the secret garden is a truly magical place and I wish I could live there

Overall Napasai is great value for money and I would highly reccommend it to anyone who wants to be guaranteed a great time in Koh Samui. The only thing I'm sad abbout is going home soon. But I'm already planning my next trip and I intend on staying at Napasai.

Keep Up The Good Work

Room Tip: To book private Yoga or Exercise with Sean speak with Sabrina or Sean direct.
1  Thank Brian A
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed in a beachfront villa, which I would highly recommend if you like the sound of waves lapping against the shore as you sleep.

The resort itself and the villa was beautiful. We were in one of the beachfront villas close to the pool area so we were handy to everything - less than 30 seconds to the beach, pool and restaurant. The beach is not soft white sand but still very nice. The pool overlooks the sea, as does Lai Thai, the restaurant. As it was summer holidays for most places, the resort was busy with families so there were quite a few kids. This only slightly dampened our relaxing by the pool and it was quite difficult to get sunbeds by the pool in the morning, but it was always no problem getting sunbeds on the beach, where it was also quieter.

Service was great and most staff spoke a decent level of English (we only had one incident where the staff couldn't understand us). Food and drink could be ordered to the beach or bar either at the pool bar or a passing member of staff. If you get beer, there are some really nice nuts with fried garlic and chillies in it - delicious! Around midday, free refreshments of a small shot glass of juice and some fruit was a nice touch. Housekeeping was also very good and the turndown service was nice. My only comment is that it was a little early - for us, turndown came around 6pm when we were still in the villa preparing to go out for dinner. I would recommend making this later (although it is possible to ask for it to be later).

There is free wifi on the property although the signal is a bit weak in the beachfront villas.

As mentioned by other reviewers, dining is expensive, nearly European hotel prices. We ate at both Lai Thai and the beach restaurant during our stay. We really enjoyed the BBQ option on the beach, which is a small bbq which is on your table, and an assortment of seafood and meat. It would have been helpful to get some sort of guidance on how long to bbq certain items but we didn't food poison ourselves so must have been alright! We less enjoyed our dinner at Lai Thai, where we ordered the steak - we just didn't think the dish worked. Dinner for two was around 2500 - 4000 baht with drinks, so very expensive for Thailand.

Breakfast was excellent, the best we had in Thailand. It had a very wide spread of continental, British, Thai, chinese food. There is an egg station as well, and various teas and coffee.

Taxi-ing to and from Fisherman's Village is around 350 baht. We highly recommend Barracuda (250 baht taxi), and would have dined there again if we had another couple of days in KS.

At the resort, all drinks and food are paid for by signing a receipt to your room. I find the Thai concept of gratuity slightly confusing, given that all prices already have an addition 17% of VAT and service on top of it. My guess is that it should be a nominal amount. We had no problems with check out and everything seemed to add up just fine. To give you an idea, our 5 night stay, with lunch everyday at the resort, drinks here and there, and three dinners at the resort (one of which was room service) came to just over 18000 baht.

We really enjoyed our stay and would come back if we wanted to stay somewhere secluded again, although I think next time we would like to try somewhere closer to the action, to compare the difference.

Room Tip: Beachfront villa for the sound of waves.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank little_L86
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We spent a week at the Napasai and it was a super experience. When we arrived we were upgraded to a garden villa with a private pool which was a wonderful start to the holiday.
The new Management team really care about each guest and the hotel has a friendly feel whilst offering the gold star service.
I would like to mention a few staff who made the holiday a great success, but there was many more I can't mention as I would be here forever. Firstly Sacha the Food and Beverage Manager, he has introduced some great new ideas like the BBQ where you can cook your own food at your table and the Afternoon Tea, which were both amazing. Sean the fitness instructor, he was a great Yoga and Pilates teacher and a real motivator, it was super to have the classes available for guests. Pong and her colleagues on the front desk who were always helpful and made such an effort in finding restaurants and taxis.
The hotel is certainly one we would return to as I know new initiatives are coming like evening Thai dancing, speciality coffee, and a host of other things to do during your stay.
The pool and hotel was always very well kept and the room cleaning and turndown service were a delight, with such lovely Thai staff.
If I had any negative comments it would be that the Gym needs its equipment updating as this gym was not of a 5 star standard. Also, the tennis courts are a bit dated/tatty and certainly better rackets and balls should be available for guests as the ones they offered were quite old.

Thank you Napasai team for making our trip to Thailand one to remember. We look forward to visiting other Orient Express hotels in the future and hope they are as friendly and well run as the Napasai.

Room Tip: All rooms were wonderful. Having our own private pool in a garden villa is great for kids. Couples w...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Banyan Tree Samui
#3 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Santiburi Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Belmond Napasai? Share your experiences!