“First class”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
bradford
“First class”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This was our first holiday to Koh Samui so i felt it important we had a good base from which to explore this beautiful island. After a little research and countless hotel reviews i decided to stay at the Code. On arrival we were met by Georgina who made us feel at home straight away, cold face towel & iced drink were much appreciated. We were shown to our room which had the most fantastic view looking out over bang por then the sea with Koh Phangan in the distance. Hotel & staff were just amazing. Breakfast was first class as were other meals we had. The pool was also very nice. We hired a car which i feel if you want to explore the island is a must, found some great beaches and restaurants all at reasonable prices too. All in all this hotel "Does exactly what it says on the tin " Once again thank you Georgina for your warm hospitallity, hopefully one day we will back on Koh Samui stopping at the Code. PS Thanks for the complimentary Thai massage. martin & Elaine

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank martin c
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Martin and Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time to review Code. I am so pleased to read that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed Koh Samui. It truly is a stunning island. I know you did lots of exploring when you rented the car and were happy with the location of Code, which is out of the way of the busier parts of town. Relaxing was your main aim and you certainly did that making use of the infinity pool and cinnamon spa.

Thank you for choosing Code and I hope to see you in the near future.

Georgina Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This was the most amazing place to stay! Complete luxury! There is not a thing about this hotel that I could possibly say was less than superb....but standing above it all was the welcome from the staff and especially the owner who was always around to ensure that his guests had the most fabulous time. He and his daughter-in-law were so generous with their time and energy, and incredibly attentive to everyones needs. A place where you can feel the care and love that has gone into making it. Beautiful!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Amanda B
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hi!
Great to hear from you! You stayed with us at the beginning of Febuary which seems like an age ago now! You guys were a lovely family. Code was your last hotel before heading back to Oxford and you said you saved the best to last, so thank you for that huge compliment as I know you stayed in some lovely resorts on your month away.
Once again thank you for your kind words. Come and see us again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Code is tucked away inland just off the one road that runs around all of Samui. The one thing that really set this hotel apart was its staff and service. Nowhere in Thailand was the staff so well versed in English [including the Marriott Sukhumvit in Bangkok]. Georgina, the manager will greet you with a smile and give you tips on all the cool things to do on the island. Do take her food recommendations seriously. Every place we went to, based on her review was totally worth it, starting with the sea food place right outside the hotel premises on the main road. Do rent one of their reasonably priced, and well maintained bikes. One full tank can sustain you for 3 days given how small the island is. The only irritant about this place is that they don't have phones in their rooms. But they more than make up for it by giving you a cell phone with the reception and room service numbers loaded. It also has credit for free local calls which makes coordinating any activities you plan, that much easier. If this hotel is available for your preferred dates - do not think twice. Just book it and enjoy!

Room Tip: All the rooms have pretty much the same view. A higher floor could potentially give you a better vie...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Hi there,

Lovely to hear from you. My staff love to hear when all their hard work has been noticed, so thank you for commenting on this. Code is located on Bang Por beach where you are spoilt for choice if you want authentic Thai cuisine there are many local restaurants, and your feet are in the sand whilst you eat! Bliss….

Like you guest like to hire bikes or cars to explore the island which can be organized at reception it’s the best and most cost effective way to see the island and all it has to offer!

Sorry to hear that not having an in-room phone wasn’t good for you, I haven’t had any negative feedback about this before as every guest receives a mobile phone on check in which has all our numbers programmed into it, restaurant, reception, spa, housekeeping and the managers number for any emergencies. What guest love about the mobile phone is that you can also take outside the hotel and use for pickup service or to call us if you need for anything.

Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you both in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 3, 2014

If you want a hotel right in the thick of the holidaymakers near the clubs and bars, this hotel is NOT for you! Twenty minutes along the Northern coast by car from the airport, and ten minutes walk from the beach, this little gem is set back from the main road, up the hill, with wonderful views over the sea to Koh Phangan in the distance.
The place is immaculately clean with a decent sized pool and a spa and a gym. The food is very simple but delicious and the staff are very calm and helpful., led by Georgina and Ben who engage you in friendly conversation and ensure that your every whim is catered for.
Breakfasts are amazing so you don't have to have a big lunch, and there are little beach restaurants that are cheap and simple for traditional Thai food and fresh seafood. Shuttle buses run you down the hill (and more importantly back up) or you can stroll (or jog).
Whilst not strictly a kiddies place, children are made to feel welcome, and we would agree with Vanessa and Colm's review comments that we all had a fun time and quickly fell in with the other guests at meals. Having said that, there were couples and honeymooners would love this.
It is also only ten minutes by car to a fabulous golf course.
Well done to Georgina and Ben for making this such a stylish, comfortable, and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: All apartments have good views out to sea, but higher floors have the best. If you have trouble with...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Jervis,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Code. You were a lovely family to have stay with us and I'm glad that Jasper enjoyed his stay as much as you and your wife. I know that you did a lot of research into hotels on Koh Samui ahead of your trip and Code won you over on it's design.
As you mentioned we aren't in the craziness of Chaweng so it suited you guys as you wanted calm and tranquility.

Jervis your morning runs down to the beach were a talking point among other guest who felt like they should be doing some sort of exercise!

Once again thank you for your review and we are looking forward to seeing you all again soon, when it gets cold in Hong Kong jump on a flight over here!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I booked an overnight stay here based on trip advisor reviews.

It's quite a long trip from the airport and as such the drivers will charge you about 800 baht. It is a bit remote up a fairly steep hill and my driver got lost the first time trying to find it, but we got there. Its a very chic hotel by thai standards.

I took advantage of the restaurant for dinner which was a bit on the expensive side but the quality of food was appreciated - anyone who has travelled thailand extensively on the cheap will understand.

The good:
- Excellent pillows and soft sheets
- Restaurant is decent and gets extra points for doing cold pressed juices, a real treat.
- Free shuttles to night markets and bike rental at the hotel is smart
- Great views of koh phangahn

The bad:
- Wifi did not work at all during my stay so i just used my thai 3g sim
- Included breakfast is nothing flash, if you're anything like me you'll order off the menu instead of opting for cereal. (Ordered breakfast was fantastic)

The above (especially broken internet) would have made me rate even lower had the price not been so reasonable.

Would probably stay here again as long as the price stays reasonable - after 4 weeks in Thailand my back is starting to get used to sleeping on mattresses seemingly made of wood and concrete.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank pentae
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hi there,

Unfortunately I didn’t even get to meet you as you arrived late at night and went first thing in the morning around 7.30am.

Thank you for posting a review about your experience of Code. I would say almost all taxi drivers know where we are on the island, however if they do become lost Code is very well sign posted from all directions.

Thank you for breaking down your experience into ‘Good & Bad’ this will prove very helpful for TA readers; it also makes it easy for me to go through each point one by one!

Good-
- Excellent pillows and soft sheets-

We have 400 thread Egyptian cotton bedding which always goes down well with our guest!

-Free shuttles to night markets and bike rental at the hotel is smart.

Yes we thought we would highlight all that Samui has to offer and the Friday night market at fisherman’s village is a perfect way for guest to have a great evening out without having to pay for cabs or worrying about driving back after a cocktail or two! We also run a complimentary shuttle service down to Bangpor Beach every 2 hours from 10am-6pm.

Moving onto your bad comments-

- Typical thai rock hard mattress lets the place down, this is the #1 thing i expect of a quality hotel.

All our furniture including the mattresses are designed and manufactured by a European company specifically for our hotels Code and Lanna, the slumber mattresses are classed as firm. Our beds receive a lot of compliments, I think it’s a case of not pleasing all of the people all of the time and I am sorry the mattress did not please you. We do keep quilted mattress liners to soften the beds for the few guests that prefer a less firm sleep.

- Wifi did not work at all during my stay so i just used my thai 3g sim.

We have three separate wifi access points throughout the hotel so I am not sure why you could not get connected; our engineers are on standby at all times to help anybody having difficulty, all you need to do is use your Code mobile phone provided on check in and give reception a call.

We are glad you liked your ordered cooked breakfast, during low season we run a half buffet, cereals, artisan breads, fresh pastries, fruit & yogurt. Guest also have the option to order off our breakfast menu which is included with your breakfast coupon, where there is a vast array of cooked breakfast choices. It is pretty straight forward maybe you hadn’t had your morning coffee yet….Just teasing! Next time your back I will be on hand to explain to you.

- Not walking distance to a 7-11 or anything useful you'll need to rent a bike or taxi which will mean more cost sink in your stay.

We run a complimentary tuk tuk down to 7-11 whenever guest need to go, again all you need to do is ask. Many guest love to walk down to Bangpor beach which is a lovely walk through the Thai village and then when they want to come back up they give us a call on their Code mobile.

Again thanks for your review, and if you do stay again come to stay a few more nights so you can see what all the other guest rave about.

Marmaris
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Had a fantastic time during our week and a half stay at code. The staff are so friendly and helpful, especially the manager who was more than happy to sort out any aspect of our holiday. This included lifts to and from the beach which made life so much easier, as it should be on holiday. When we go away top on the list for me and my wife Lilly is FOOD! And code dose not disappoint. Starting the day with an unrivalled buffet breakfast which we never got bored with due to the vast array of dishes, personally I would recommend the omelettes as you have a eggcelent dedicated egg chef :) Moving on to lunch which we only had once but was very good I had a club sandwich, which may seem unadventurous but the quality showed that the chef had a great understanding of different cuisines other than Thia, which in my travellers I have found to be rare.
All in all we had a wonderful time and I would go back tomorrow if I could.

Thank you to everyone who made Lilly's and my stay so AMAZING!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank William L
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear William,

Great to hear from you. You and Lilly certainly made an impression on all my staff, they loved you both. You always had a smile on your face and happy about everything!

I know you were a huge fan of the breakfast William! The breakfast buffet is always a crowd pleaser, with our fresh croissants and selection of cheese and cold meats, guest are spoilt for choice!

Thanks once again for reviewing Code and we hope to see you both again soon. Lilly mentioned Christmas!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had 5 nights .. birthday celebration.. Bright & airy.. great views..good rooms, music system (take you ipod), away from the crowds BUT close enough to get ANYWHERE you want.

This place was perfect.. I read the reviews and looked at so many options.. But trust the reviews about the place.. it was sooooo good .. Great service.. Really helpful attentive staff, management and owners who made you very feel special...
They even go out of the way to make a special dish if you want ..(as we did one evening...) sounds over the top but we had a really great time and it was excellent.
We hired a car a couple of days (on site booking and NO hassle), most evenings they organised car drop off and pick up from restaurants made good suggestions for what we wanted and to top it off flowers and cake for the birthday celebration...

Georgina, Chris and your team thanks for making the holiday and birthday for Beverley so relaxing and special.
Final comment would we go back again...? A 100% yes

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mal T
Code_and_Lanna, General Manager at Code, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Mal,

Many thanks for your review. Wonderful to read that Bev had a fab birthday. I will pass all your comments onto my staff. Our chefs in Vanilla Restaurant are always happy to tailor the menu to suit our guest, I heard that you were very pleased with your sautéed king prawns!

We all look forward to seeing you both in the future, Hong Kong is such an easy commute to Code!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
#2 of 186 in Bophut
Sea Dance Resort
Sea Dance Resort
#6 of 186 in Bophut

Been to Code? Share your experiences!