“Stunning, peaceful - a slice of heaven!”

Infinity Residences & Resort Koh Samui
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed July 10, 2013

On being shown to our accommodation all we could say was wow…wow…WOW! A 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with full kitchen - this place was big enough to live in and the views were incredible. You always wonder when you see amazing photos on a website whether the reality will live up to the images, well I can tell you this place is every bit as amazing as the images online.

We stayed on a Deals.com.au voucher for 5 nights. It was incredibly good value and we decided to make the most of our luck in getting an upgrade and pretty much stayed at the resort the whole time. Due to the terraced design, most of the apartments are very private. The pools attached to each apartment do vary in size - ours was just a narrow 2.5 metre long strip in front of our apartment but we could then swim past the neighboring apartment and around the side of the restaurant, so it was really quite long although the couple in the next apartment did give us filthy looks and closed their curtains when we swam past but we didn’t mind! The pool was really cool and refreshing and you need that as sitting on our terrace was super, super hot - there is no way we could sit out there all day so it was nice to come back in to our very stylish and cool lounge room with enormous white leather couch…I’m sure it still has an imprint of our backsides on it! The housekeeping service is excellent, our room was made up each day to a very high standard. But management really need to spray the resort for ants as we had many ants inside and outside our apartment including in our bed!

Tip for getting a good night's sleep - the aircon in the apartments is great. We had 3 - in the lounge and both bedrooms. Run the aircon all day at a level you are comfortable with, then at night turn off the aircon in the bedroom and just run the ceiling fan. Leave the aircon going in the lounge area. We slept so much better once we figured this out!

The two lovely ladies we met on reception, I’m sorry I didn’t get their names, were just absolute gems and nothing was too much trouble. We made use of our free one way trip to the Fisherman’s Village at Bophut (400 baht to get back). This is a must do if you stay on a Friday night - a huge market with cheap and tasty street food and great bargains. If you stay here you really are in one of the quietest (and IMO nicest) parts of Samui. Understandably if you want to shop or go to touristy areas you will have to fork out for a taxi (expensive on Samui) or hire a car. If you can afford to stay here then I imagine you can afford these options. Another couple mentioned they had hired a car quite cheaply and of all the places I’ve visited in Thailand, Samui is the only place where I think I could handle driving (hard to go wrong with one road that circles the island.) If you want to party every night you will be bored or at least find it inconvenient to travel to party central but we were just content to soak up the luxury at the resort and if we wanted to go to dinner at the beach or to the 7/11 a driver was always available to take us the 5 minute trip down the hill at no cost. A mobile phone was kindly supplied for guests to call the resort whenever they want a pick from the 7/11.

The restaurant is in a stunning setting although is very open so at times the wind really whips through here, I would suggest management might need to invest in some blinds or something to act as a windbreak as this would make guests a lot more comfortable. The restaurant would look a whole lot classier too if they replaced the awful white-painted furniture. Breakfast here was really good, the selection is not huge but there is everything you need and it is all done well. Egg chef, fresh fruits, yoghurt, different hot dishes, cold meats, cheeses, salad, asian food, bread and pastries, along with the wonderful view - what more could you want?

Unfortunately there are some problems here. Previous reviewers have noted some major issues with the restaurant. It seemed to me they have got someone in to try and sort these out as the staff are trying hard…a little too hard. You wouldn’t notice if you only ate here once or twice but we had 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches and a dinner in our package and after a few days the cracks started to appear. Great restaurant service is not about handing someone a menu then waiting beside them, pen poised to take an order while you have a conversation with your partner…nor is it hovering behind someone ready to whisk away their plate the moment they take their last mouthful.

I found the menu descriptions often differed greatly to the actual dish. A seafood appetiser mentions ‘caviar’ but doesn’t actually have any caviar yet comes with the seafood resting on discs of potato but there is no mention of potato on the menu. A dish described as a ‘salad of grilled prawns with lemon / chilli dressing’ came out as a single whole king prawn in a soup-like broth with a single lettuce leaf in the corner of the plate. I’m sorry but where I come from a single lettuce leaf does not constitute a salad! A dessert of sticky rice with mango, coconut sauce and sesame seeds came with old, hard rice that was neither sweet nor sticky, one time it came without the sesame seeds, another time it had no coconut sauce. The deep fried calamari my husband ordered was nice one day, inedible the next as it was way overcooked. A dish described as deep fried fish with a sweet and sour sauce was actually a type of curry served with rice - no mention of rice on the menu - and the fish was just poor quality scraps. I was also really disappointed that the staff could not grasp the concept of ‘gluten free’. Day 1 I provided the waiter a Thai translation of what I can/cannot eat being a coeliac, I encouraged him to show this to the chef, instead he wrote something down in Thai and this was passed onto the chef. I was really sick after that meal. After that I tried to be really careful with what I ordered and stuck to things that seemed to be naturally gluten free like salads, but that is not easy when, as mentioned, the actual dishes differed so much from the menu description. If I questioned the contents of a dish I was assured the chef understood my dietary requirements, however there continued to be problems throughout my stay. Long story short - during our last lunch our patience was wearing thin and I was served a meal vastly different from the description and I clearly couldn’t eat it. Within 5 minutes I had 3 different staff come up and apologise profusely which just made the whole situation awkward and embarrassing. I explained again to the manager what I couldn’t eat and I then had a waiter come up to me with a bit of paper with some Thai writing saying he would pass this on to the chef so there would be no more problems when ‘guest from 26L eats at the restaurant‘, only we weren’t staying in 26L! It was all a bit Fawlty Towers. At breakfast on day 5 I was really taken aback by the egg chef, who was lovely, but after I ordered an omelette she came over and listed the ingredients and asked if that was ok for me to eat. For goodness sake it’s egg, milk and salt and I’d been eating omelettes the past 5 days! The intentions were good, they just didn’t get it.

In regards to the spa, do not bother doing as I did which was to request a spa menu before arriving so I could choose and book my treatments (we had 2 x 1 hour massages each with the package) For one thing my request was not passed onto the spa staff and in any case it doesn’t matter what type of massage you choose because it’s just someone rubbing oil into your back and legs then finished off with a Thai massage. It was pleasant but a previous reviewer’s comment that it was like a 5 year old giving you a rub was pretty accurate. At both appointments when we chose a massage there was animated discussion in Thai between the two girls, then giggling, then we were asked to choose something else. What is the point of having a spa menu offering all these wonderful-sounding massages offering various therapeutic benefits if they can’t deliver? With prices listed on the menu starting at 1800 baht and up there is no way that I would pay that sort of money for such a poor service. In any case it’s really not even a spa, it’s just one of the spare apartments fitted out for the purpose.

I don’t mean to sound petty regarding issues with the restaurant and spa - I mean to be constructive as I really love this place and hope to return some day to find big improvements in these areas. Surely the whole point of offering these promotions is they get people to come along and have an amazing time, tell others, write great reviews on TA, even return as repeat guests. But for now if I were staying here I would enjoy the breakfasts but stay away from the restaurant for lunch and dinner. As an alternative, take the free shuttle down to the 7/11, walk to your left about 50 metres along the road to a salmon colored wall where you will come to Kitchen Pha. We ate there on our last two nights and wish we’d found it sooner. We eat early so we can watch the sun set and both nights we were the only people in the restaurant, overlooking a picture perfect beach. Wonderful food, lovely staff, great prices.

If I won the lottery tomorrow the first thing I would do is go back to Koh Samui and buy one of the apartments at Infinity. It’s the ultimate place for a very peaceful and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrs_smith1368

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed in July 13 using a deals.com.au voucher. We were not sure what to expect and were v pleasantly surprised. The views are fantastic. The inclusions in the deal were extensive. The rooms were large and nicely decorated. Our pool was massive (but technically I think we are supposed to share it with another villa, but have not had to yet).

The downsides are the site is steep - not much fun walking up to reception. The location is also isolated and not that easy to get to eg reception drop you off and pick you up from the bottom of the hill, but we had to wait quite a while to find a taxi to take us into town. The hotel does not advise getting a taxi back up the hill as it is v v steep and not all taxis will take you all the way - they do however give you a mobile phone so you can call them to pick you up.

We had 2 kids and stayed in one of the rooms next to the restaurant - while I was disappointed at first as this felt less private, it turned out to be a bonus. My husband and I had drinks (and sometimes ate) at the restaurant and watched our kids either in the pool or sitting in the sun lounges but still had some grown up time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Anotherinnerwestie
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Infinity for 6 glorious nights at the end of June. The service excellence started even before we arrived with a series of very prompt emails from Aum at front reception and a very smooth pick up from the Koh Samui airport with a car from the resort. The resort is located on a hill above Bang Por, with beautiful views over the Gulf of Thailand to the horizon and to Koh Phagnan .On arrival we were greeted by Aum with champagne , chocolates and an aromatic cold face wash ,sitting looking at the view while we completed the paperwork. We were thinking " is this really happening to us ? ........ maybe they think we are famous !" We were brought to our villa( in a golf buggy) and that turned out to be about as big as a house .....literally. Each villa has a private pool and the view as the property is terraced . As soon as we settled in it was time for lunch which is served in a covered , open sided pavilion with the same beautiful view . The menu is a mix of Thai and Western dishes and over the stay we chose freely between cuisines confident that each would be well done. Breakfast is a well balanced buffet with a choice of hot and cold dishes, and great coffee - again in the same pavilion. Service was just lovely - the staff make a very sincere effort to make sure we were looked after. As it turned out it was my birthday during our stay and the house keeping staff make a beautiful hand cut "Happy Birthday " from Pandanus leaves and fashioned two elephants from towels and laid it all out on the bed ! If that wasn't enough we were presented with a cake at dinner - complete with a very discreet number of candles. The resort has a great courtesy shuttle service down to the village 7/11 and will also , for a fee , deliver you down to other island sights and restaurants. We did very little off the resort as we just loved being there and were very well rested by the time we left - we even enjoyed a few massages too . Both Aum and Air are , in particular amazing ambassadors for the resort - nothing was a problem and in all honesty any high flying executive would love to have either as a PA ! We would happily recommend Infinity as an amazing chill out holiday - there are no loud bars on the resort but its all there for excitement at the bottom of the hill if that's what you want !The ground at Infinity are absolutely manicured and our house keeping team presented the villa like new every day .Thanks and cheers to all the Infinity family. Nyall and Jo . Warragul Australia

Room Tip: Any villa here is going to be a good one !
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Nyall G
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Where do I start? We were pampered, looked after and given a room with a spectacular view and spectacular fit out. Don't be perturbed by the hill that Infinity sits on. The team have a shuttle service that runs 24 hours down to the main road and picks you up when you call them on a phone they give you for just that purpose. It is soooo easy to get around and after viewing most of the beach areas, I think staying at Infinity was the best choice we made. The infinity pool out the front of our bedroom was divine and our kids (aged 18 and 21) who stayed in another apartment had a great time in their own infinity pool. The restaurant was outdoors and had a magnificent view and complimented the meals and cocktails served their by the staff. I have travelled all over the world and have not experienced front house staff as helpful and caring as we had at Infinity. The motto we used was - ask and Infinity deliver. Oh, and by the way, have a massage at the Spa it is well worth it (in fact we had 2 each).

6  Thank Keith B
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids aged 10 & 12. We have just spent 2 weeks in total bliss staying at infinity. Every staff member could not help us enough to make sure we were all, always, totally satisfied. They were so helpful, friendly and accommodating with anything we wanted, to make us enjoy our holiday. Air, the first person you meet as you arrive, after 2pm, was superb at her job, always wanting to know how we were going, was everything ok with the kids was there anything else she could do for us, nothing was any trouble. She needs a pay rise!!! Lex, one of the wonderful drivers who drove the vehicles was always up for a chat and helpful with anything we needed to know. Cars were available 24/7 within no more than 5 minutes wait. All the staff work as a team, led by Stefan, also fantastic, and love their jobs. Our 2 bedroom apartment was always clean and had absolutely everything we needed for a wonderful time away. All the food was fresh, beautifully presented and delicious, especially the chocolate mousse! Thank you so much to everyone at infinity for giving us a wonderful family holiday. We would highly reccomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: 10 r, very private and still close to everything.
6  Thank Melissa2704
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children aged 10, 7 and 4. Our stay at the Infinity was for 8 nights in June 2013 and the experience was fantastic.
We had booked a spacious 3 bedroom penthouse apartment ... and we were not disappointed. On arrival we were taken to our room and the presentation (and view) was fantastic. Others have reviewed the rooms ... I agree with everything that was positive about them!
The breakfast was set up as a buffet during our stay and the food was always fresh, plentiful and provided a great start to the day. The coffee was also great - even got to enjoy a latte each day with my breakfast!
We also had lunches included in our package and the menu was extensive enough for us to try several dishes during our stay - all of which were tasty and freshly prepared for our enjoyment. I agree with other reviewers that the food service was a little slow ... but this did not bother us at all because we were on holidays and had no strict time schedule! In fact, the wait for lunch made us sit and appreciate the view and enjoy the surroundings even more.
The staff were extremely friendly and very patient with our 3 children. In the restaurant we always felt like we were part of the "Infinity Family" and we enjoyed the warm hospitality that was always offered to us.
Throughout our stay the resort staff were extremely helpful in ensuring our stay was perfect by assisting with many things including providing DVD players for our children, complimentary DVD's, extra bottled water, tea or coffee in the room as required and anything else we requested!
The resort is very quiet, and although it offered no kids club or similar, we enjoyed the serenity after a day of exploring some part of the Koh Samui Island. We also stayed in theresort a couple of mornings to relax ... just because the kids enjoyed swimming in the pools and we could pick up a book and lie on a sunbed in the privacy of our own deck area.
The drop off service between the resort and the 7/11 at the bottom of the hill was useful for those looking to rely on public transport. We used this service a few times during our stay.
We would recommend the Infinity to others and hope to one day return to experience this beautiful place once again.
TIPS: 1. We hired a car from a local shop for the duration of our stay which made getting around quite simple. We paid around AUD$30/day. At the bottom of the hill, turn right and it is the 3rd shop on the right. 2. We had our laundry done at a local business for about AUD$2/kg. We did find the laundry service at the resort was a bit expensive. At the bottom of the hill cross the road and turn right, then it is the first place on the left side of the road (next to a restaurant)
3. For a fantastic local dinner try "Relax" located at the far western end of Bang Po Beach. At bottom of the hill turn left and it is on the right about 1km up the road. Go at sunset - stunning! Also great for kids with swings and hamocks. 4. For a great little beach bar ask around for directions to "Black Rose Bar" which is located at the far western end of Mae Nam Beach - need to ask a local how to get there if you don't have a car. This place was Fantastic.

7  Thank Melinda J
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed last week in Infinity Samui, not my first time on the island but first time i enjoy the sleek , modern decoration of my room and the unique view over Kho Phangan from my private pool.
The staff is really focused on serving you , nothing is impossible, hard to find in Samui.
and the hotel is enjoying a nice breeze, which makes staying outside a real pleasure.

Room Tip: choose a room on the higher level.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 30 in Mae Nam
Mantra Samui Resort
Mantra Samui Resort
#15 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Infinity Residences & Resort Koh Samui? Share your experiences!