“Good food, nice setting but expensive”

The Farmer Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #44 of 100 Restaurants in Mae Nam
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Nottingham
“Good food, nice setting but expensive”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We ate here one night early January 2014, during our 6 night stay at Samui Buri in Mae Nam.

The setting was lovely, overlooking the water, which was lit up and very romantic.

The food was a little bit more pricey than what we had been used to around the corner closer to the hotel - see my reviews of My Place Restaurant & Bar (much cheaper and even tastier food).

We had both had duck - I think mine was penang and my boyfriends was in the red curry sauce. Both lovely. The rice that came with it - between two was a very small portion so we had to ask for more - but this came with no extra charge. It was very fancily presented in leaves, which required a member of the staff to unwrap them - it was very grand!

I have to say the service was some of the best we had experienced, quick and efficient and very polite. However the food was no better than other local restaurants, which were charging half the price!

3 Thank Lozzyozzy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
“Lovely location, disappointing food and service”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We came to this restaurant based on the positive reviews. Overall felt very disappointed in the food and service. We were transferred to and from our hotel which was nice. We were the only people at the restaurant which was a little strange. 1 other couple did arrive later. As soon as we sat down we couldn't shake the waitress. She hovered over our table for the whole time we were there - pacing beside us or sitting close to us and staring at us or just hovering waiting to take an order. It was disconcerting and not at all relaxing. It felt like she was wanting us to order straight away and be gone. The next couple had the same issue even after we had asked her to give us some more time. She also couldn't speak very good English and wasn't able to explain any of the meals to us.

We order a mixed appetiser which were cold on the inside. My husband ordered the duck which looked impressive but was apparently dry. Panang curry was nice but overpriced - wasn't any better than the cheap restaurant down the road. Overall WAY too expensive for what it was. We prefer the little restaurants down the road which has the same quality of food, beachside location and all for 1/4 of the price.

Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful dinner, amazing setting, best duck in Thailand”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We came for dinner, we were collected from our hotel in Mae Nam for free. Service was lovely from the moment we were picked up. The setting for a night dinner in the flood lit rice paddies is beautiful. There are ducks paddling in the water and the sounds of the night. We had the chefs special duck which was delicious, the best duck I've ever had and the soft shell crab, also amazing. It was $60AU for the two of us including drinks. I hate to imagine what they would charge in Australia for a meal like that, in such lovely surounds! We felt very special eating there, a highlight of our trip to Koh Samui. The chef even wrote down the recipe for us for the duck sauce and what we were calling "magical mashed potato"- the secret ingredient was nutmeg.

2 Thank Kylie O
“Great venue, food, and service!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We visited for dinner during our short stay in Koh Samui! The restaurant provided free taxi pick up which was awesome! The location is beautiful and quiet! We sat right by the water looking out to the rice fields! The staff was very attentive and helpful! They even sprayed us with bug spray! The food was delicious and big portions! For dinner we had lobster in green curry, crispy duck, and cordon bleu! The lobster came with 5 different types of rice! Great experience and service!

2 Thank Pastanotes
Melbourne
“Very nice thai food at Farmer's”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Koh Samui’s got so many different eateries and places for fun. There’s the reggae pub, there’s a Brazillian to Indian restaurants, there’s the Ice Bar, there’s a Japanese massage place, and… there’s a restaurant with its own rice paddy – The farmer’s restaurant and bar. The word “wow…” keeps popping in my head the moment I witnessed the views of rice fields from the entrance. The way into the restaurant was quite long but it did gracefully reveal the sight of that expansive rice field with backdrops of small mountains. To me this felt like a mini Chiang Mai! Plus the fact that this is possibly the only rice paddy on the island – so I’ve heard.

Luckily, the resort I stayed was pretty close to the restaurant so the restaurant’s shuttle service was free of charge, which was great considering taxis are ridiculously pricy. Although confirmations and bookings are essential in order to arrange pick-ups. I couldn’t locate the design of the restaurant but it definitely modern, and possibly a mix of Balinese thatched roof pavilion. Not that I’ve sat inside those pavilions but I chose the outside area for dinner given the weather was perfectly cool at night. The outdoor dining area is huge. It could probably cater for a party if anyone ever wanted to throw one near the rice paddy. I’d say it’s a big change to common parties in Samui, and just if one ever gets so bored of beach clubs.

The restaurant’s rice paddies are flood lit at night, which did not fail to impress and looked beautiful. Would’ve been good to pay a visit during the day for that matter. Having said this the food I had was crispy duck which was excellent, but it got me confused if this dish was ever in Thai cuisine? Other than that, the massamun lamb shank and grilled snowfish were just as fantastic –both the taste and quality. I see all the dishes were made with creativity, that they even have five different coloured herbal rice. I must admit this restaurant’s Thai food has to be one of the best I’ve had over this break. The service was attentive and lots of smiles from staff. Unfortunately there were lots of mosquitoes and it was not fun swatting them every time you try to eat.

Overall, one worthwhile experience in Samui, having been quite repetitive of beaches. I admit the price were quite high but the restaurant clearly has standards. I would come again probably during the day, and definitely would come for the crispy duck.

3 Thank jumpingjack_90