“Over-rated” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Farmer Restaurant and Bar

The Farmer Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #43 of 95 Restaurants in Mae Nam
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The Farmer was in the book of best restaurants we were given on arrival. Disappointed. They came and picked us up which was nice but the bus has no a/c. Asked for my main course spicy but came with no chilli at all. Wife's main course was very small portion and over spiced. Expensive for what it was.

1 Thank Sandstorm_KW

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Koh Samui, Thailand
“Farmers Fayre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

An evening dinner at the Farmer - no need to book this time of year, we were the only customers.
I like the idea of this place and have been several times previously, so I was looking forward to the evening.
Ordering food was a surreal experience as our preferences had to be repeated many times and i guess the process took about 15 minutes to get across. Always polite though.

Drinks took an age- mainly juices and bottled beer. I wonder what they would have done with lots of customers?

The food was ok, but I hopes that it would be more than adequate were not fulfilled.

The over attentive waitress looking after us positioned herself about two meters from the table and stared at us all eating. I thanked her for her attentiveness and asked her to move as we do not wish to become a zoo exhibit. Problem was I had to ask again four times over the next hour- finally saying, you, go, whilst pointing to the distance. We did not see her again. Perhaps they were intent to ensure their only customers did not do a runner!

When the bill arrived I wished I had. It was the most expensive meal I have had on Samui- far too highly priced for the standard of food. Only one in our group of three adults and two children drank any alcohol- small bottles of Chang- yet the cost was enough to make me assume I had quaffed a good bottle of wine. One feels that the owners have elected to put the prices up as they have fewer customers.

Think I will pass on the Farmer next time.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Run!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pleasant location with really bad yet highly priced food. The house specialty of crispy duck will most likely give you the runs and the rest of the dishes may have been well intended in principle but badly prepared and delivered. Overall it is a place to avoid as one has plenty more and better options on this island. (Za Zen, The Cliff, Four Seasons)
The ambience is dead, almost literally. One thing is a calm place and another the gloomy and sad feel of this place. The rice field and ducks are nice to look at but put some soul in it and foremost change the cook.

Visited July 2013
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We arrived with great expectations having read the reviews, however the place certainly didn't live up to expectations. The restaurant was close to empty, it was rainy so we had to be inside and the staff were bordering on rude. The food was quite revolting. We had the crispy duck after reading the reviews & what was served, I would never serve to a customer - it looked like someone's left overs. The best thing about the venue was the lovely driver!

Perth, Australia
“Amazing food, but eat quick!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We popped into the Farmer on our moped having gone out to find some local food. When we were seated I asked the waiter to suggest something more traditional (i'd had enough of massaman and pad thai at that stage). He suggested the Massaman with Kobe, which was the most expensive item on the menu. Still cheap by western standards.
We ordered the dirty duck! A must, its a whole duck that has been deep fried and comes with plum sauce. The rice came in some amazing varieties and one was easily enough for two people.
The disappointment was the rushed atmosphere. One of the waitresses was cleaning the floor around us, literally as my wife finished her last fork full of food, the waitress cleared our plates. The waiter dropped the bill on the table and asked if there was anything else he could help with. It wasn't exactly late 9PM.

• Visited June 2013