“Indeed, it knocked our socks off!”
Review of Barracuda Restaurant - CLOSED

Barracuda Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: **This restaurant have moved locations. It is now known as BARRACUDA @ The Wharf.**
“Indeed, it knocked our socks off!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

After doing our research in the attempt to find a unique restaurant on Koh Samui, and reading the already very convincing review entitled "It will knock your socks off" (among many others), we decided to have dinner at Barracuda on our last evening on the island.

And our experience was nothing short of those of most others who reviewed Barracuda in this forum! The first impression came from Ferdinand himself, doing his best to accommodate us in the most charming and still laid-back way. Then the menu: not too many choices (I'm not a big friend of exuberantly huge menus that look like phone books), just a right amount of delicious sounding creations from a deliberate fusion cuisine.

The service: the ordering process, delivery of the various courses, refilling of our wine glasses, as well as answering a few of our questions about the kitchen, was done with the utmost swiftness, ease, charm and respect. At one point, after having just emptied my wine glass, I silently counted seconds, chuckling with my girlfriend about how long it would really take for my glass to be refilled, after so many reviewers raved about the prompt and professional service. Eight seconds still surprised us! Of course, managing a small eatery like Barracuda is easier then overseeing a large restaurant with 50 or 100 tables - but it is still in the final details and nuances where Ferdinand, his wife, and the rest of the staff realize a truly enjoyable experience for their patrons.

The food: not a millimeter short of excellent! The choice of ingredients in the mouth-watering creations, the freshness, perfectly measured degree of preparation and cooking, and the tastiness of each of the dishes we ordered was just perfect.

The price: Barracuda is not a low-budget dive, so expect to pay relatively "normal" prices - I'd say mid range for a "normal" restaurant. But considering the amazing quality of the food, service, and overall establishment, I can confidently say that eating at Barracuda is a bargain viewed next to many other restaurants that offer a comparable experience but at twice or thrice the price.

Everything, from the beginning to the end of our visit, was simply extremely pleasant and truly memorable. And we certainly and whole-heartedly recommend this extremely charming, tucked-away gem of a restaurant that might well make your most delicious dinner on Koh Samui!

P.S.: Thanks again also to Tripadvisor for consistently being the best resource for the most reliable travel recommendations out there.

“WOW!!!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband treated me to a meal here for my birthday and he choose well. The food is exceptional, a great menu selection for all tastebuds. The crab rolls I had to start were divine. The service is extremely attentive but discreet. The restaurant itself is clean yet understated. My husband had told the owner it was my birthday and as a surprise the owner had personally arranged the chef to decorate my dessert with a birthday message and candle and my favourite, macaroons. The owner should be extremely proud of what he has achieved. He has definitely found a niche in the market on Ko Samui. If you want to sample fine dining in Ko Samui, this is the place. Make sure you book ahead to avoid disappointment.

Ko Samui, Thailand
“It will knock your socks off”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was perhaps my tenth visit to Barracuda last Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd never reviewed it on TripAdvisor. Since it is my favourite restaurant on the island, I resolved to remedy that without delay.

Unless you know Barracuda through personal experience or recommendation, you might easily pass it by, even if you happened to wander up the side street from the traffic lights in Maenam village. It doesn't look special in any way, it's not on the beach, up in the hills, or highlighted by spectacular decor. But appearances can be deceptive. It's what awaits you inside that will knock your socks off if you are a fan of great food, impeccable service, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

The menu is hard to categorize. You'd probably call it modern European in style, but owner and food maestro Ferdinand often throws in an Asian flavour (try succulent crab meat wrapped in lettuce with a mango salsa). Ingredients are always fresh and chosen with great care, the flavours are thoughtfully matched, and the dishes faultlessly presented. While Ferdinand generally manages front-of-house, you can also see that he meticulously monitors the appearance of each dish as it emerges from the open kitchen at the back of his small restaurant.

What I like too is that Ferdinand rings the change on his menu from time to time. There is always a new dish or two thrown in, even if some of the favourites make regular appearances. This is really important for returning customers -- there is little worse than returning time and again to the same old list of dishes.

Unlike a number of much more pretentious restaurants in Samui, the service at Barracuda is impeccable: guests' dishes arrive together, the timing of each course is invariably perfect, wine glasses are refilled at the right time, and the staff pay great attention to detail. But none of this is overblown in any way - it just works as it should, and is like a breath of fresh air.

The wine list is short and to the point. I occasionally think a couple more choices would be a good addition, but then I ask myself what that would really add!

As for the prices, they are very reasonable, and the restaurant offers outstandingly good value for money

In his running of the restaurant Ferdinand manages to partner great efficiency with a totally relaxed atmosphere, no small feat in itself. The restaurant is just the right size so that staffing can be manged and standards maintained. It's a winning formula.

Highly recommended, and well deserving of its #1 status among Samui restaurants

1 Thank venividivice
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Delicious food; great service”
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

....mouthwatering choices, elegantly presented and tasty food, balanced wine list, discreet but attentive and friendly service.
Our party tried many dishes... all fantastic; Chili chocolate mouse was winner of the evening :-)
This restaurant is popular so do book early to avoid disappointment.......

Ringwood, United Kingdom
“Superb dinner”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I visited Barracuda early in October. Unfortunately my wife could not join me but the owner was very understanding and I settled in for what turned out to be a fantastic meal.
After excellent bread and salsa I ordered the lobster tortellini and the lamb loin. The lobster tortellini was fantastic, not too large but full of fantastic flavours. The lamb that followed was 2 or 3 small fillets with a modest serving of carrot purée and asparagus. The meat was excellent quality and really tender and flavourful. For desert I had the chilli chocolate mousse. Together with a couple of glasses of excellent Argentinian red wine it was one of the best meals I have ever had in Samui. The service was attentive and very friendly.
I can't speak for those reviewers who felt disappointed, they must have been eating somewhere else !

• Visited October 2013