“WOW!!!”

Barracuda Restaurant
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: **This restaurant have moved locations. It is now known as BARRACUDA @ The Wharf.**
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband treated me to a meal here for my birthday and he choose well. The food is exceptional, a great menu selection for all tastebuds. The crab rolls I had to start were divine. The service is extremely attentive but discreet. The restaurant itself is clean yet understated. My husband had told the owner it was my birthday and as a surprise the owner had personally arranged the chef to decorate my dessert with a birthday message and candle and my favourite, macaroons. The owner should be extremely proud of what he has achieved. He has definitely found a niche in the market on Ko Samui. If you want to sample fine dining in Ko Samui, this is the place. Make sure you book ahead to avoid disappointment.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was perhaps my tenth visit to Barracuda last Saturday when I suddenly realized I'd never reviewed it on TripAdvisor. Since it is my favourite restaurant on the island, I resolved to remedy that without delay.

Unless you know Barracuda through personal experience or recommendation, you might easily pass it by, even if you happened to wander up the side street from the traffic lights in Maenam village. It doesn't look special in any way, it's not on the beach, up in the hills, or highlighted by spectacular decor. But appearances can be deceptive. It's what awaits you inside that will knock your socks off if you are a fan of great food, impeccable service, and a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

The menu is hard to categorize. You'd probably call it modern European in style, but owner and food maestro Ferdinand often throws in an Asian flavour (try succulent crab meat wrapped in lettuce with a mango salsa). Ingredients are always fresh and chosen with great care, the flavours are thoughtfully matched, and the dishes faultlessly presented. While Ferdinand generally manages front-of-house, you can also see that he meticulously monitors the appearance of each dish as it emerges from the open kitchen at the back of his small restaurant.

What I like too is that Ferdinand rings the change on his menu from time to time. There is always a new dish or two thrown in, even if some of the favourites make regular appearances. This is really important for returning customers -- there is little worse than returning time and again to the same old list of dishes.

Unlike a number of much more pretentious restaurants in Samui, the service at Barracuda is impeccable: guests' dishes arrive together, the timing of each course is invariably perfect, wine glasses are refilled at the right time, and the staff pay great attention to detail. But none of this is overblown in any way - it just works as it should, and is like a breath of fresh air.

The wine list is short and to the point. I occasionally think a couple more choices would be a good addition, but then I ask myself what that would really add!

As for the prices, they are very reasonable, and the restaurant offers outstandingly good value for money

In his running of the restaurant Ferdinand manages to partner great efficiency with a totally relaxed atmosphere, no small feat in itself. The restaurant is just the right size so that staffing can be manged and standards maintained. It's a winning formula.

Highly recommended, and well deserving of its #1 status among Samui restaurants

1  Thank venividivice
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

....mouthwatering choices, elegantly presented and tasty food, balanced wine list, discreet but attentive and friendly service.
Our party tried many dishes... all fantastic; Chili chocolate mouse was winner of the evening :-)
This restaurant is popular so do book early to avoid disappointment.......

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I visited Barracuda early in October. Unfortunately my wife could not join me but the owner was very understanding and I settled in for what turned out to be a fantastic meal.
After excellent bread and salsa I ordered the lobster tortellini and the lamb loin. The lobster tortellini was fantastic, not too large but full of fantastic flavours. The lamb that followed was 2 or 3 small fillets with a modest serving of carrot purée and asparagus. The meat was excellent quality and really tender and flavourful. For desert I had the chilli chocolate mousse. Together with a couple of glasses of excellent Argentinian red wine it was one of the best meals I have ever had in Samui. The service was attentive and very friendly.
I can't speak for those reviewers who felt disappointed, they must have been eating somewhere else !

1  Thank chris53kualaLumpur
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We came here on TA recommendation and wasn't disappointed.

It's only a small restaurant so may be worth getting a reservation.

It's not typically thai, but great food. The fish was fabulous and we had 3 starters (between 2 of us) as we couldn't decide! Main courses fresh and tasty.

There is no childrens menu, but we were able to order something 'off menu', for my 5 and 6 year old. We chose pasta combinations!

The couple running it are lovely, nothing is too difficult.

We went on a Thursday and there is a street market in the next road which was good for a wander around afterwards.