“Beautiful course, normal prices, worthless cadies”

Santiburi Samui Country Club
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Me and my dad used the late afternoon offer to play 9 holes. And a beautiful 9 holes we played. In march the course was in perfect condition. Fairly challenging but managed to squeeze out 2 pars + a birdie (normally playing hcp 24 but not playing for a year). Thus for the amateur definitly not too difficult, you can easily enjoy you round.

Unfortunately our caddies were horrible, not very well informed, didn't care at all about golf (they never played it), gave bad advise on a couple of occassions and one explicitly asked me for a big tip after complimenting me about my looks and asking for my girlfriend status..... you don't expect this on a club like this. This was just bad luck I guess . The club and course are well worth a visit!

3  Thank tliebregts

Reviewed April 5, 2012

this course is beautiful at the same time as being challanging we play 5 or six times a visit to Koh Samui. Lunch is lovely there too

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I don’t mind paying good money to play golf but when the course is in terrible condition it doesn’t make for a fun day out. Make sure you ask if the course is under maintenance before you book. I have never seen greens this bad.

Overall the course design is rubbish, so many blind tee shots and approaches to greens. You rely so much on the cadies and mine was horrible, very little assistance where to hit the ball off the tee other than pointing down the middle of the fairway.

“no I don’t wish to hit driver into the wilderness on every hole”

Can't believe this is an Asian Tour stop. Save your pennies and play elsewhere in Thailand.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Go for a drink to see the view but don't waste your time with the food

Reviewed November 12, 2011

The standard green fees for 18 holes on this course are a little pricy (4,350 Baht), however the Buy 2-Get One Free (8,700 Baht), Unlimited Golf After 12:30 (3,500 Baht), and Twilight (1,500 Baht) are more reasonable.
I opted for the Twilight Promotion as I had only a few hours to spare and played the front 9.
To find the course you need to make a left turn (heading south) off the main road on Maenam-7 (There is a "Santiburi Golf Course" sign). You will also see signs to the Santiburi Resort which is to the right of the main road.
The clubhouse is grand and imposing with great views from an open air bar/restaurant, however I didn't see any other "country club" amenities for those expecting more than just golf.
You will be assigned a "caddie", which all looked to be female. But don't get any ideas other than concentrating on your golf. They are covered head to toe in what looks like a pink housemaid’s uniform (not of the French variety) which re-iterates their purpose as there to provide golf advice, and golf advice only. Mine seemed to have very good knowledge of the course and greens but was unable to speak 2 words of English which rendered her advice pretty much useless. I couldn't work out if she was telling me to aim left, right, not left, not right, straight etc and had many "Ah, you meant that NOT left" experiences. Not that my ball goes where I intend it to anyway!
There are no distance markers or course maps for you to revert to either. The caddie seemed to know the distances from memory.
It is quite a challenging course, with rainforest encroaching on most holes and I would not recommend it for anyone with a handicap higher than about 20.
The only other customers on the course were a group of 3. There were also many young local players who were walking the course, and I wasn't sure of they were employees or junior members. I assumed that they were not full members because we had right of way at all times.
It is a top quality course and I would go back if given the chance, now that I know where I should try to be hitting the ball!