“Very disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night
Hoi An, Vietnam
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Went here for lunch after being unable to find Zenzibar. Service slow and disinterested. We both had the white snapper fillet with garlic and pepper sauce, both fillets were undercooked. The chips were overcooked and cold and the salad had no dressing. Pineapple shake was nice but the mango shake tasted like it was made with a cordial rather than fresh fruit. One of the worst meals we have had in our 9 days here, yet it was as expensive as we have paid for far nicer meals with great service. The location is great however, right on the beach.

• Visited August 2013

Auchterarder, United Kingdom
“Shabby shack on the beach”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We arrived at this shabby (fairly grubby) beach shack one hot afternoon, we ordered food which was OK and arrived in dribs and drabs and enjoyed a few chilled "ones" (recommend the Long Island Iced Tea). The atmosphere, music and location ensured that we were chilled and had a lazy few hours on the beach. I wouldn't recommend this for a fine dining or even just dining experience, but it was a good meeting place to start the evening off and was open til late for any party animals in our group.

• Visited July 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Avoid! A nasty experience - my girlfriend was in tears!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The staff took a long time to take our order of drinks and never asked us if we would like to eat - I can deal with this, we are in Thailand. The lime juice was 90% cordial - it almost burned your throat. The pork in my pad thai was like rubber and the pad thai had clearly been cooked in a dirty pan, black chewy unknowns were mixed in throughout. My girlfriend ordered prawn cocktail, we have only eaten western food a handful of times during over 6 months in SE Asia and understand that it can be a risk. But prawns right by the sea, with salad and a little sauce is hardly risky.
After bringing out fruit salad with muesli (I think because the waiter just wasn't interested and didn't care to listen properly) in error the prawn cocktail arrived. Plain and simple - the prawns were either not fresh or way over cooked, they were rubbery and dry. We told the owner and he replied with a bombardment of shouting at my girlfriend. He brought out the fresh prawns from the kitchen, yes they were fresh, which only highlighted that they were over cooked. My girlfriend suggested she order something else as they did not apologise or offer to prepare the dish again.

After the shouting she was not keen on eating anything else and so we asked for the bill. The prawn cocktail was on the bill so I simply asked politely "are you charging us for the dish?" - again more yelling saying "you ordered, you pay". He threatened to call the police. We didn't even have a chance to discuss the matter, I only raised the question and then he went off ranting. Then the owner walked out to the beach and started yelling to people simply enjoying the sun that "these people have ordered and not paid!" - he repeated this for around 5 minutes.

My girlfriend was hugely upset but to be honest I was just angry and thought that the man was an embarrassment to himself.
We have travelled Asia a long time and eaten in all sorts of places, we have enjoyed meals served on a dirty tray in the slums of India, this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I feel that on the beach, wherever in the world you are, if you are paying for a dining experience (albeit a relaxed [supposedly] beach front restaurant) and order prawns that come out way over cooked you should be able to raise this point without a ridiculous onslaught. If it was my restaurant the customer would have received a huge apology and no way would I consider charging them.

If This is the first truly negative review I have left on trip advisor.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank LewisHarradine
“Not great”
Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Whilst the location & view is stunning, I had to go with my 4th choice on the menu as they didn't have spare ribs in their special BBQ sauce, king prawns or tiger prawns. I had small prawns in garlic & pepper sauce which was ok
My husband had fish & chips, fish was over cooked & chips very average
Agree with other reviewer, just have a drink & pick somewhere else to eat
Had I read reviews first would probably have done the same

UK
“Quite awful.”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

From an extensive menu my wife and I ordered a fresh white snapper, to be then told they had sold out.
Whilst looking for an alternative the chef appeared and said he had one left.
We ordered it to be grilled with a side order of French fries.
The fish arrived having been deep fried into oblivion and the fries came quiet some time later.
This in itself does not constitute a major crime but what really was annoying was the complete lack of interest shown by the staff.
The restaurant, which by the way has a great location, was only partially full but the staff were either engrossed in talking to each other behind the bar or otherwise preening themselves, to the point that every time we wanted something I had to go to the bar to get their attention.
The only redeeming feature is that we were not charged for the food.

• Visited January 2012