“Off the beaten path, but that's what makes it wonderful”
Review of Ampha Place Hotel

Ampha Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 35 Mae Nam B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Ampha Place is a newly run hotel steps from the central parts of Maenam Beach. If you are looking for the hustle and bustle lifestyle in Koh Samui, loaded with nightclubs and shopping then Maenam probably isn't the place for you. Maenam has a smattering of small bars, restaurants, and cafes, but besides that it is extremely low key and uncrowded.

However, if you are looking for a serene retreat away from the sometimes overwhelming crowds then this is where you want to be. And Ampha Place isn't a bad place to start. The hotel rooms are nice, the air conditioning works great, the pool is clean and refreshing, and it is literally a minute walk to the beach.

I personally enjoyed Maenam Beach a lot as there were only a handful of people on the long stretches of the beach at any given time of day. Also, you can take a group taxi or rent a car for a few days to explore other parts of the island or quickly get into Chaweng or Lamai if you are looking to pick up the pace a little bit and explore different restaurants and nightlife.

The only con to be honest is that the two times I tried to use the wireless internet to check my e-mail it was painfully slow. But there's a very cheap internet cafe if you take a quick left once you get back to the main road.

Overall a splendid experience and the rooms are tremendously affordable so I will certainly consider Ampha Place if I'm back in Koh Samui in the future.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 2, 2010

I've never written a review before for tripadvisor, but felt compelled to do so after reading one of the poor reviews on these pages. I stayed at Ampha Place for a couple of weeks in March and thoroughly recommend it for the friendliness and professionalism shown by everyone who works there. Clean, courteous, honest, good value, good food, and just a couple of minutes walk to the magnificent beach and just a bit further to the excellent restaurants of Maenam centre, I fail to see how anyone cannot be charmed by this family-run hotel and its location - unless, perhaps, you're the type more comfortable about being spoon-fed by a tour operator and who gets nervous about anything unfamiliar. When I stayed there, we had a mix of couples, families and solo travellers, who all seemed able to enjoy their stay without complaint.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2010

This is the first time that Trip Advisor led me astray so I wanted to speak up and prevent someone else from being disappointed. I would not recommend anyone go here unless you're really bare bones, have low expectations, and don't want anything memorable for your stay.
Check in was haphazard. After being picked up by hotel-sent "taxi" from the airport, which was a janky truck and a driver that didn't say a word to us, we were unceremoniously dumped into the bar area of the hotel. There is no front office or anything like that. As bar dwellers gaped at us, and while I still had a suitcase in my hands, Ampha (the owner) pushed a piece of paper into my hands to fill out. No warm welcome at all, no smile.
Our room was on the ground floor looking out onto the pool, which also meant everyone at the pool looked in on us. It was pointed out in quite a few places that the hotel is not responsible for anything stolen so I didn't feel safe being on the ground floor at all. The lights in the room reminded me of a hospital, flourescant and horrible if you want to relax. There is no US news channel, HBO & ESPN are only English channels. There is no literature in the room with recommendations of what's in the neighborhood.
The owner's child (I assume this is who she is) is constantly around. As we ate our dinner (which was admittedly quite good), she ran around all of the tables singing at the top of her lungs. She was never asked by her parents who both sat at the bar to be quiet. This is not just professional in my opinion. We are childless and on vacation and do not wish to be babysitters.
We walked down the street to the "main village" as we were told and it was one of the most depressing walks of my life. No restaurants, no shops open, nothing but locals, a stagnant body of water (mosquitos galore), dirt roads, and a very uncomfortable position for a farang to be in.
We walked to the beach at the end of a dirt road and it was really bleak. I'd use the word ghetto to describe the measley strip of sand.
The internet didn't work. Ampha said maybe it was busy because so many people were on it. This, if you know about computers, is not how the internet works.
We had a huge black spider in our room.
It was then that I called another hotel to come get us.
Ampha charged me 20% of every day that I had told her we'd be there, 7 days. I told her that I was only leaving her hotel because I didn't like anything about it, so how should I have to pay a fee for that? It's a rip off and obviously she doesn't care if her customers are happy or not. If I had a guest who was unhappy with the accommodations I'd apologize and ask what I could do to fix things so I could apply this in the the future. Instead she charged me for being unhappy with the place. I was too tired and miserable to argue so I let her rob me. That's how I felt when I left that place, robbed of 24 hours of my life and 3000 baht of my money. This place is all wrong and even on the wrong side of the island. Thank God we moved, we're so happy here now.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank karynmurph
Reviewed February 24, 2010

We arrived after a long day of travel by mini-bus and boat and fell in love with this hotel. The rooms were spotlessly clean and nicely laid out, especially the bathroom. Our room didn't smell like second hand cigeratte smoke and the bed had a comfortable mattress. We had a second floor room and the noise from the pool or other guests did not bother us at all. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the ferry pier in the middle of Maenam beach. We only ate at the restaurant a couple of times but the food was good especially the thin crisp french fries and the Mojito's which were just like we had them in Cuba. There is amazing street food on the main road about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. All of the staff were friendly as were the other guests, we ended up having a drink and chatting with many of them. My only problem is that the hotel was full and we were not able to extend our stay beyond the time of our initial booking.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The rooms are good value for money. But the place is noisy. If somebody talks next door,
you hear every every word. If somebody walks aorund in the room above you, you hear every step. As the small pool is in front of the room, in daytime there is
a lot of noise from the kids playing here. And again, if people chatting in the small restaurant next to the pool, you hear them in your room even when the glasdoors of the balcony are closed. And for smoker the place is expensive. They charge exorbitant 2000 Baht for smoking in the room.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank chobsamui
ampha, Owner at Ampha Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

It is specify in all room that it is not allowed to smoke in the room and that a fine of 2000.-- baths will be charged for non respect of the hotel regulation, (smoking area are the balcony or terrace). We have three family rooms and of course these rooms are reserved for family with children. The bar/restaurant is closed at 10PM to keep the place quiet. On the regulation of the hotel it is specify to keep the place quiet after 10 PM, if some of the guests don't respect the regulation, we can ask them to move out in case of claim from other guests, just contact me.
AMPHA
OWNER OF THE HOTEL

Reviewed February 4, 2010

Our recent trip to Ko Samui included a stay at this lovely hotel for four nights.

Pros:
- Brand new, so everything is super clean and in excellent condition.
- Most comfortable bed in Thailand we've had.
- Excellent Value, (1,100 Baht/night for SAT TV, fridge, WiFi, pool, nearby beach access, hi-end room furnishings, great bathroom.
-Friendly and helpful staff and owners
-motorbike rentals onsite (again brand new Honda scooters). Not too far of a ride from the good beaches - Bo Phut and Chaweng.
-restaurant and Bar on-site, with reasonable prices and pretty good food

Cons:
-Several kids seem to appear there every day, so it can get very noisy as they run around playing and screaming by the restaurant and pool. Think they may be the staff's children. Only a problem during the day. Nights are quiet. But, If this is your only holiday during the year, and you want total peace and quiet, this may be a problem for you.
- WiFI is available, but the modem is shut off every day to "cool down". So you have to ask every day to turn it back on, which is annoying.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We choose Ampha Place based on a few Trip Advisor's reviews and actually the hotel was even better than we expected. The hotel is brand new, less than 5 months old, the rooms are extremely clean, with all the ammenities including TV with cable and a couple channels in english, free high speed wifi in pool and rooms, safe deposit box, excellent air conditioner, and spotless bathrooms. The service is extremely good. There is a small swimming pool with chairs and umbrellas perfect to get a tan if you are not in the mood to walk 3 minutes to the beach.. We've stayed at other hotels paying much more and the service isn't even close.. Food is excellent and fresh, they even brought it to our room once when requested even though room service didn't seem to be standard practice. Its managed and ran by its owner Ampha who is very friendly and ensures that your stay is as pleasant as possible. We stayed for 3 nights were we were looking to escape from the other busy beaches and the place was perfect.

The hotel is located in Maenam beach which is pretty calm. If you want to find good restaurants nearby we found a lovely place called Chill Out a 10/15 minute walk towards Bophut on the main road with the best grilled prawns we've had in a while. Also a place called Bamboo near Chill Out had a very good steak sandwich and shakes. In general if you want to have more eating options we recommend to get a scooter or a car to drive around BoPhut's Fishermans village or North Chaweng which would all be within 10-15minutes driving. We opted out for a scooter which Ampha promptly arranged for.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 45 in Lamai Beach
Palm Point Village
Palm Point Village
#5 of 35 in Mae Nam

Been to Ampha Place Hotel? Share your experiences!