“beautiful resort”
Review of W Koh Samui

W Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

visited -W- for afternoon cocktail drinks & late lunch at SiP bar / restaurant on its own private beach.
Spectacular ambience & picture perfect views, nice chill music throughout public areas / bars..
Amazing atmosphere at woO bar & likewise at SiP..
Tasty food & highly recommend to couples visiting Samui..
Excellent variety of cocktails & very friendly staff..
Will return to W'Retreat Samui on our next visit to the island..

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Damien o

Reviewed July 10, 2014

After a week in the Santiburi hotel, Koh Samui we finally arrived to W with great expectations. We had stayed in W Maldives for 2 weeks on a previous vacation trip and absolutely adored it.
The hotel sits on top of a hill and the views from the lobby, lobby bar and the pool are breathtaking, one can see the palm trees from afars and little island on the horizon which are truly beautiful, but unfortunately instead of being able to take in this beauty with the sounds of nature, the birds, the sea, the wind there is always a non stop, extremely incompatible and unfitting music everywhere you go, wether it be the pool, the beach, the restaurant, the lobby, even in the bushes between the villas there are speakers playing this fashion runway annoying non stop beat.
Our food ( dinner and breakfast ) was outstanding! The food, service and cocktails are top level. The employees are all very kind and friendly, in this respect I have no criticism.
The villa is also very beautiful, cozy and comfortable, in it there is everything one might need and more.

The beach was another let down, it is unfortunately not very clean, again, the annoying music plays all the time, and one doesn't feel too much desire to go in the sea, the bottom feels swampy and it is rather like a dirty river. One misses the abundant palm trees and options to have the possibility of not being under the hot sun all the time and if you stay under the very few trees there are, ants fall on you all the time, which is not very pleasant.

In a nutshell, if you want trendy, cool, fashionable good quality, but over priced, I recommend this hotel, but if you want something authentic, personal, intimate, cozy and exotic (after all, that's why we come to freeing lands) this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Quiet, yet not, music playing EVERYWHERE in the hotel. But the rooms are very quiet everywhere.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Faurro
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Faurro,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit to W Retreat Koh Samui.

We appreciate your compliments on the quality of food and beverage, service levels and villa facilities. It is good to know that we met your expectations in those areas and that you enjoyed the view and location.

I gather from your posting that your two star review is specifically as a result of the music and beach.

Firstly, on music; we do have speakers throughout the resort. It is our policy to maintain volume levels quite low to ensure it is ambient rather than intrusive during the course of the day. During the evening hours, particularly in our WooBar area we feature live DJ performance where volumes are somewhat higher. Sip, our bar beachside is an quiet alternative for those with an aversion to contemporary music.

There is quite extensive conversation around W beach over the many reviews already posted on Tripadvisor. Located as we are at the conjunction of Bophut and Mae Nam beaches, we are somewhat tidal- an effect which can intensify according to the lunar calendar. Our beach is also gently sloping, the water remaining quite shallow for some distance from the shore. As you perhaps also noticed, the sand accumulates, creating a peninsula effect during certain seasons. While visually very attractive, this occasionally results in some silt accumulation which is unfortunately outside of the resort's control. There are coral reefs not far offshore, for this reason we recommend water shoes as the grains can sometimes be quite sharp.

Thank you for the comments, I apologize that these two issues outweighed the positives of your stay and we hope to see you soon again at W.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

A few years ago we stayed in a beautiful W Resort in Maldives. It motivated us to try out the W Retreat Koh Samui. That was a biggest mistake and I will try to explain why.

But, first of all, I must give a lot credit to the staff, they are trying very hard and are doing their job very, very well. So my criticism never touches the service, it is top notch here. Thank you everybody who worked for us these days.
Another great thing- the breakfast. Simply excellent! Also - Kitchen Table restaurant serves very good food. But, for me it is not so important, I really prefer to explore local restaurants in the island which can be amazing and the prices would be four to five times lower. But ok, it's up to the taste of the person. What IS important comes next.

Now, to the important stuff. What I find totally unsatisfying is the ability of the management to kill the natural paradisiac atmosphere of the island! The horrible music follows you everywhere: in the bar, in the restaurant, even outside your villa! I would like to ask the management: Why can't the guests simply sit and enjoy the sounds of nature, to listen to the wind, the trees, the birds? Why is the stupid pop music being imposed on us everywhere we go? I guess, the management wishes to satisfy the guests with the very generic taste, or, rather, without any taste at all. Seriously, we don't take long flights to Thailand to find same kind of noise here, we want piece, relaxation and nature.

Now even more important thing. The beach! Thailand is a great beach destination and the beach here is simply bad. How disappointing to come here and to find such a beach. The water is shallow, the bottom feels not clean. Again, the music from the loudspeakers is a torture. The beach is bad and already for that reason alone W Retreat should be avoided, unfortunately.

I really feel sad writing these lines and criticizing this resort, because the staff is excellent and villa itself is well equipped and kept clean, also because we had a great experience in W Maldives, but I am convinced that people have their right to know what to expect here before they will waste their money.

Why did I use the word "waste"? Because right nearby one can find absolutely amazing places like Santiburi Resort which is a paradise itself, 5 stars and a Leading Hotel of the World, for at twice less the money.

So, if you are ready to waste a few thousand dollars, you don't care about nature, atmosphere and charm- go to W Retreat, and enjoy your awful pop music all over the place!
If you want a good beach, swimming, quiet beautiful time in paradise and a good value for money- absolutely stay aWay!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Bearcito

Dear Bearcito,

Thank you for your review- it being essentially identical to and posted simultaneously with Faurro, please see reply above.

Best wishes,

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

W hotels was always my wish list for a place to stay in Samui ... They dont let me down. First glance in the woobar and lobby was fabulous consist with an ocean view and warm greeting from staff, check in was fast and i was direct to the room. There was so many things to describe during my stay such as a sweet spot with unlimited ice-cream and refreshment Our room with partial ocean view with my own pool was great!!

Highly recommend for love bird couple to stay here

Stayed: June 2014
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear KimmiezTravelholic,

Many thanks for your review of W Retreat Koh Samui, we appreciate you sharing your thoughts with the community.

It was good to know that our WooBar, free ice cream at Sweet Spots and above all, our talent made this visit memorable for you.

All the best,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I went there for 5 nights with our 2 month old daughter. We chose the W because it's meant to be a great 5 stars hotel, with some atmosphere and party, which meant we wouldn't need to leave the resort. Unfortunately, we have been disappointed in the service. But we gave some our feedback to the manager, and we saw some improvement. They also offered us dinner at their japanese restaurant, which was very commercial and glad to feel that they understood our concerns.
Overall, the hotel is very nice, and the staff are also nice, however Thai people are known for being kind and delicate. Although it is a first world problem, and sounds picky, the hotel is expensive enough per night to justify us highlighting that the service is not in line with the worlds other finest 5 star hotels and resorts. Some of the problems are listed below.

- The staff don't speak very good english
- The first morning, they served me an orange juice that was off. When I called the waitress, after a debate, she brought me a freshly squeezed orange juice. Every following day they brought me one and never served us the orange juice they had in the carafe. That's very nice that they realised we didn't like the generic orange but they always brought only one orange juice for me, and never asked my husband if he wanted one.
- In general, it took ages to get any tea or coffee.
- There was no one to welcome us at the restaurant or open the door, which is not very practical when you have a buggy to carry down the stairs (no elevators)
- The breakfast food was good, but the dinner at the international restaurant was really average. The japanese restaurant is good, but not a restaurant that suits dinner every evening. Either the hotel is lacking one more restaurant, or the breakfast/allday restaurant needs to up its game at night
- When we had dinner at the international restaurant, I ordered a fruit platter with berries. There was no berry on the plate when they brought it. I asked why. The waitress came back once I had finished my plate and brought me 4 raw strawberries in a cup.
- When we were at the beach, I asked to charge my iphone 5. One of the guys took my phone, and came back 10 mms later saying they didn't have any iphone charger. We found that strange and not really in line with the whatever whenever motto of the hotel. But more importantly, 30 mms later, I saw there were plenty of chargers for iphones and blackberries behind the towel desk, which was 10 meters away from us!
- No one explained to us what the sweet spots were. We found it on the internet when reading trip advisor reviews after 3 days we were there.
- There was never a buggy with a driver. We always had to go and wait at the reception to get one.
- They didn't clean the room very well. They never replaced what was taken from the mini-bar, although they tried to overcharge us at the end. And they were forgetting to throw away the empty cans we forgot to throw away before they came to clean the room.
- One morning we were gone for 2 hours. We came back, the room hadn't been cleaned. The guy came later and didn't understand why I refused he cleans the room while I was in it with the baby (screaming).
- Although the room had an outdoor space with a table, and a switch inside stating "Outdoor lighting", we couldn't switch on any light. When we rang, we were told we needed to have it set up. 5 minutes later, a guy turned up with a lamppost he plugged in.

As I said, the staff were very nice, and you could feel they were just lacking the training to be up to the 5 stars standard. We went to have dinner at the Four Seasons, and it was a whole other story. When we mentioned it to the manager, she tried to react and we appreciated it. Hence why the mixed feeling.

This hotel has all the makings to be great, but we found it just good, despite charging for great hotel prices (500-600USD per night). Perhaps it was not peak season, but the trendy hotel was very empty and calm, but with other hotels at full capacity on the island, we wonder if the W is just slightly beginning to lose its edge.

Overall we were wowed by the views, delighted with the in room pool, but would question the reliability of the W brand vs other major 5 star chains going forward.

Room Tip: The ocean escape view is a very nice choice, even if you don't see the sun rise and set as they...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Nanice4

Dear Nanice4,

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments on your recent stay at W Retreat Koh Samui. I apologize that certain matters arose during your stay that you felt were below standard.

To address some of the points you raise in your review in no particular order:

A key evaluation during the recruitment process is the ability to speak a foreign language. We also evaluate friendliness, attitude and technical skills and attempt to hire talent with an appropriate balance of the above. Relative English fluency can vary however between Thai talent and in addition to keeping a fulltime English teacher on staff we conduct ongoing reviews to ensure a level of language skill appropriate for the assigned role. I apologize if the level of fluency did not reach your expectation and I suspect the issues around phone charging, beverage and fruit service were related to comprehension.

We will pay more attention to the issues you raise around retreat cleaning, particularly I in the areas of timing and thoroughness. Although we generally receive stellar reviews on our housekeeping/styling service I apologize that we appear to have fallen short here.

I am glad that our management were able to mitigate your inconveniences somewhat and appreciate your positive remarks on the facilities and staff.

Thank you for sharing with the Tripadvisor community, all the best

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Visited W Resort at Koh Samui for Sunday brunch. Gorgeous setting with beautiful views, spectacular food and lovely staff. Loved the little breaky tapas that was brought around to the tables! Having been to W in Bali we had high hopes and were not disappointed. A Samui Sunday Morning Must!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This place is managed very well...the staff are the best...the rooms pay attention to detail...and the entire resort grounds are built around guest comfort and luxury. I just returned from 5-nights with my wife and young son and it was probably the most relaxing stay at any resort I've had...we spent a lot of time in our villa (leaving for breakfast and down to the beach once a day) and only left the resort once for a couple of hours. I travel at least 200 days a year and have for 20+ years, so I know a little about resorts and this one ranks up with the best. I cannot think of anything I would change and again, huge applause to the staff...their attention and service was incredible and these things don't happen by accident, it's a result of 1) recruiting the correct people, but also of great training and acute attention by the management. Well done...I'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Hi there DaveBKK2013,

Many thanks for your superb review of W Retreat Koh Samui, we really appreciate it when frequent travelers spend the time to provide detailed feedback on their experience.

I am glad that our team made the difference for you, in particular their attention to detail and making sure all of the small matters were attended to promptly. As I have mentioned before, we are very proud of our talent and their commitment to our guests.

All the best and we look forward to having you with us in Koh Samui again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Nam
Six Senses Samui
#30 of 185 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to W Koh Samui? Share your experiences!