“Great honeymoon location! Must return!”
Review of W Koh Samui

W Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon on one of our last stays in Thailand. We can't wait to return.

We slept in the jungle room which was very good. It was clean and comfortable. We found some insects but as soon as we communicated it the staff came to fix it.

We only had a small incident before we left about a misunderstanding in the tarif we had selected. We say that the return airport was included and they said it wasn't. That is the only small incident. But anyways it was a great experience and I would gladly go back and stay there.

Staff was great and hotel was amazing.
Can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Hello MNader,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay with us.

While I am delighted to hear that you found the team and the overall exeprience amazing, I certainly apologise for any small issue that you encountered regarding the inclusions.

I am delighted to hear that you would return to us in the future. I certainly hope you do...and next time we will be aiming to get those five stars!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here in March as part of our holiday in Laos and Thailand. The W was planned as our beach rest towards the end of the trip. We had stayed at the W in Hong Kong and visited several others and after reading the reviews thought it would be fun to stay at a modern property on the beach instead of somewhere more traditional like the 4 Seasons.
Arrivals are always important and the W got it wrong. It was the first hotel to ask for our print out voucher - we had booked it through the hotel - so they should have been waiting to welcome us! We were given a drink and then left to wait for ages. Our room was lovely - at the top of the property with a great view. As another reviewer said the villas already need work to be done.

It rained for most of our stay and I am sure if it had been better weather we might have felt slightly different. But it did rain and this emphasised all the negatives. We had to wait ages in the rain by the beach to get a buggy. The buggies did not really shield us from the rain. You could not walk from the lobby to the restaurant for breakfast without getting wet.

The restaurant was completely bland and could have been in any chain hotel anywhere in the world. The food was OK. The Japanese restaurant by the beach looked expensive and not what we really wanted in Koh Samui. There was a shuttle into town but you had to book a place on it. No one told us this when we checked in. There should have been far more shuttles into town as the hotel is so isolated.

Basically the resort was too big for us - you had to take a buggy everywhere. The pool was too far from the beach. We like to sit on a beach but swim in a pool especially when the sea did not look that inviting. There was a road running through the resort so even if you wanted to walk to your room it was quite unrelaxing. The entry lobby and the view from there was the best thing about the resort. The service was the worst we had on our trip. No one was rude but it was not crisp. Maybe the manager was away when we were there but it seemed as if no one was in charge.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GMFLondon

Hello GMFLondon,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience with us earlier this year. Of course I am disappointed to learn that your overall experience was anything less than perfect. Please accept our apologies for the issues you highlighted.

I do believe that first impressions count and it certainly sounds as though our normal arrival experience was lacking the crispness on this occasion. And while rain does certainly impact on the overall experience, I am sorry that we were not able to deliver the holiday escape you were looking for.

It is indeed a shame that you didnt choose to try Namu. It is certainly an exceptional experience which I am sure you would have appreciated. However as I have addressed here recently, we are about to launch our new Kitchen Table menu which I am sure will address the concerns that you have raised. It will feature an expanded Thai selection and include a wonderful array of dishes which I am confident are guaranteed to impress.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments. I must admit that I am confident that we could definitely impress in the future should you decide to give us the chance. So I do extend an invitation to contact us should you ever plan a return visit to Koh Samui.

We hope to hear from you.

Warm wishes
General Manager.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been somewhat slow in writing a review bit I had to do one as we had a wonderful time here. It was amazing walking into the hotel and seeing the vista. We were met by the GM Nick Downing who together with his really attentive staff made our 4 days so enjoyable. Dining at the Japanese restaurant is a must. We used the spa but feel the main spa reception lacks ambience. We had a room on the hill. It was so comfortable and had an outside shower. Would we go back? Most certainly. The GM has created a great hotel. Our only complaint was We love fresh mango for breakfast but they had run out!

Room Tip: We stayed in 242 on the hill. Very private with great views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Hello JonSebastian,

Thank you for sharing your WOW review of your recent experience with us.

I am delighted to read that you had a great time up in one of our hillside Retreats. These are definitely very popular with those people seeking the best views of the Gulf of Thailand.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed Namu, our Japanaese influenced restaurant. Namu's head chef, SK Choi recently appeared on Thailand's Iron Chef and there is no doubt that Namu continues to go from strength to strength...definitely a "not to miss" experience while staying with us. In fact, the popularity of this restaurant is growing so fast that we are hopefully only weeks away from opening this beachside venue for lunch also!

Thank you again for sharing such positive feedback and we certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Until then, warm wishes

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My family and I spent 4 days here and we all love it!!! When planing for the trip, I initially booked for a regular villa but got a call from the hotel the day of our arrival that the room was not available due to the broken down facility. And there came the good news! Our room was immediately upgraded to the ocean front villa just steps from the beach!!! Truly amazing design and welcoming, lovely staff. The lobby is stunning with great views. Spa was well worth the price. and as the title says, I would have given this place 5 stars if the food had been a bit better. The breakfast needs a bit more twist. I'm sorry I couldn't eat the same thing every morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hello Scottia,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

While we always aim for perfection, we do acknowledge that we must always continue to aim higher. So while I thank you for your glowing cvomments about everything from the villas to our team, rest assured that we will always look to set new standards for our various dining venues. I can assure you that this is one area which we are constantly reinventing.

So hopefully next time we will get even closer to perfection and earn that fifth star!

Until then, warm wishes

Reviewed June 15, 2013

living on samui as local expats we treat ourselfs sometimes for a great breakfast at the W!
it was a nice birthday surprise for a excellent long breakfast. The choice of food, service and the easy but very professional approche from the staff is outstanding! thanks to the W team, we would recommend highly to everyone!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

It is my third time to Koh Samui, usually we stayed in one resort for 5 to 12 days. This is my first time W experiences, before I thought the W brand little too modern for a long vacation. But it turned out I enjoyed a lot my 8 days there and changed my thought with W. The property is beautiful wow. I have to give another wow to their great staffs, they all greeted us warmly everyday and offer assistance whatever / whenever, they really keep this whatever / whenever spirit on their mind. Then we especially impressed with Jason at front office and Jean at F&B, they always remembered us with names and made us felt so special. Then their attentive also very impressive when we have just mentioned once in the middle of the room services ordering without any asking further about the in retreat BBQ, the F&B staff actioned quickly to show us a more detail meun with more options when they brought our room services to our retreat. Another wow, for the F&B team and Whatever/Whenever team :)

Honestly, the only deducting score part is the Kitchen's Dinner meun, not much Thai selection but they will do whatever on our request. However, the resort location is hidden and not too convenience for going out like staying at Chaweng, so I suggest to make to food selection stronger, so guest can eat happily everyday in the resort without bored, especially my this type long staying guest. I love the Away Spa. And the Sweet Spot, I love/ hate this one lol I gain 5 pounds because of it.

Oh, because I love this resort, I have one more recommendation, if the resort can offer shuttle services for the closest town Bophut as well. It is very important too keep guest staying without feeling bored.

Wow wow Thank you very much W retreat.

Room Tip: My bed was too hard for sleep, I guess I should have to make the special request while I booked via...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Hello Jasa-mayberry,

Thank you for your amazing review of your recent experience with us.

It's always a pleasure to welcome guests who have experienced other areas of Koh Samui previously. We certainly provide a unique experience unlike any other resort on the island by focusing not only on creating an exceptional villa experience, but creating an atmosphere which really does encourage guests to mix and mingle, unplug and play!

I am delighted to hear that team members such as Jason (one of our "Insiders") and Jean (in our B&F venues) made such an impression. I have to admit that we are lucky to have such incredible characters working with us. I often say that it is the team which really does make one resort experience much more special than another and I am very proud of our team for all their efforts and dedication.

Thanks for the feedback on our menu selections. I must admit that our Director of Culinary, Robert and his team are about to relaunch some key menus including our Kitchen Table which will definitely address some of the concerns you raised. So hopefully next time we will earn that extra "star" back as it is always our aim to impress and earn those five stars!

Thank you again for your comments and we certainly hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm wishes

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We recently spent five days at the W Koh Samui and didn't want to leave! We couldn't get enough of the villa and five star service. We were fortunate enough to be in an Ocean Front Haven and words can't describe the feeling of this villa. The indoor and outdoor spaces were both extremely roomy, well appointed and thought out while maintaining the signature W brand.

We arrived to a motivated, friendly staff where our bags were whisked away while we checked in with a nice cool cloth and beverage. Our front desk agent gave us a nice little tour of the public areas before taking us to our villa where she made us feel right at home. Our bags were in our possession within minutes after arriving in the villa.

The bedroom area was nice with a GREAT, comfortable bed we both slept well in. There is a nice sitting area to watch TV which we didn't do much of. The bathroom is HUGE with two showers, one indoor and one outdoor. We didn't even bother to take a shower indoor as you can't beat the ambiance of the outdoor shower. The bathtub was comfortable and beautifully placed right next to a sliding door that opens straight to our very own pool. We kept the slider closed most of the time to keep the air conditioning in. Speaking of air conditioning, it worked GREAT. The indoor space of the villa kept cold and was a nice relief from the heat of Samui.

The outdoor space was just perfect. We woke up every morning, brewed espresso and went out to the daybed to catch up on news/emails while enjoying our cafe. After breakfast, we would come back and spend the rest of the day catching sun rays on the loungers and cooling off in the pool. Even though the front is exposed to the beach, we felt complete privacy. The whole time we were there we saw just a few people walking down on the beach. We felt like we had paradise to ourselves. Not to mention the sunsets! Wow! I can't say enough about the villa!!

If I were stretching to find something that could have been different, it would be to appoint more Thai representation into the design. The design definitely flirts with being over-the-top-obnoxiously W and not enough local inspiration. With that being said there is a clean, sexy, energetic vibe throughout the resort which of course IS the W brand.

Breakfast every morning was delicious and filling and of course hard not to over eat with the options given. The coffee was great and the staff was on top of everything never leaving an empty glass and clearing plates the second we were done. I topped off every morning with a warm chocolate croissant straight from the oven which I probably should of passed on, but hey, it was vacation.

Namu, you just have to go experience the Japanese cuisine yourself. Easy five star food and service!

The only 'complaint' we had was the location. Yes, it is great that the resort is secluded. We love seclusion. But we didn't expect it to be THAT secluded. We literally weren't able to walk out of the resort and hail a cab or any transportation because the resort is quite a ways off the main road. The hotel does provide complimentary shuttles to Chaweng three times a day which we took advantage of a few times. They also offer car transportation whenever you need which we thought was over priced given the distance covered. Another option we didn't take advantage of was just renting scooters from the resort which would have been an easy solution to get around if you are adventurous enough. So just be prepared to spend most of the time at the resort, which of course isn't hard to do because you never want to leave anyway!

Oh, and if you go spend time at the beach, wear sandals. Trust me even if you think you don't need to, wear them. They even provide foot wear if you don't have any.

The talent/staff at the resort was pretty close to perfect. We had a few hiccups during the stay not even worth mentioning here because they were righted quickly and handled with great professionalism and genuine care. We had the pleasure of meeting Nick our last day there and were able to see from his example why his team is so successful. He believes in making every guest feel special and won't let you leave the resort until you do!! At least that is the vibe we got from him. Well done Nick, Jean and team. If we ever find ourselves visiting Samui again you made our return visit to the W an easy decision.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TrvlrRob

Hello TrvlrRob,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent experience with us...as well as the pictures!

I am thrilled to read how much you loved the resort and your overall experience.

Your Ocean Front Haven (pictured) is certainly one of our most requested categories, literally steps from the beachfront of either Maenam or Bophut Bays. No wonder that many guests who choose these villas do not leave for days!

I can understand your comments about our location. There is no doubt that our private peninsular location is considered an island within an island with all the benefits that has. Although yes, we do try and assist those who wish to explore by proving the complimentary shuttle bus. I would also agree that the cost of transportation is higher than in other Thai locations. I often pre-warn guests that "meter" taxis do not actually charge by meter, instead negotiating a set fare which is much higher than in places like Bangkok. We do have an inhouse car company that provides cars/drivers for a premium on top of these taxi fares, considering they are on standby for our guests.

I am happy to hear that you found so many other areas of the Retreat to your liking, especially our team. It really is our goal to ensure that we deliver in true Whatever/Whenever fashion. It's always great to hear when we make that connection as we did in your case, despite any issues that do arise.

I sincerely thank you for all your comments and do hope that this will not be the last time we have the chance to welcome you back. Rest assured we are here, ready and waiting!

Warmest wished to you both,
General Manager.

Six Senses Samui
#30 of 185 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Sandalwood Luxury Villas

Been to W Koh Samui? Share your experiences!