We spent only two nights at the W Retreat in Samui over the Easter weekend as it was fully booked on the third night so we had to move on to the Four Seasons. But the decision to try the W despite the hassle of having to change hotels was worth it!
The view you're treated to at the lobby immediately announces to your mind that you've arrived in paradise. A modern paradise at that. You'll find lots of true to life images on the website.
We stayed in a Jungle Oasis, and on a whole I have to say that the villas are simply spectacular. The villas have to be some of the best appointed and styled not just in terms of detailing but also the layout.
We loved the outdoor shower, private pool and also the large amount of space (223sqm) the villa provided us, even if we didn't really utilize the room much because we were out exploring so much. The bed was also extremely luxurious and we left wishing our own home was so well designed. The materials and colour palate of the room left us feeling relaxed and pampered just by being there.
Breakfast was an event we made sure not to miss every morning as the spread had to be one of the best we've ever experienced. Make sure you spend time at the gym before where you can work up an appetite at one of the daily morning classes for everything from yoga to pilates.
We spent a lot of time exploring Samui and while the W is quite a distance away from Chaweng and other attractions, the hotel provides shuttles to and from Chaweng at opportune times (make sure you book your seats!) and taxis are relatively easy to call on and reasonably priced.
Service overall was good, but it didn't exceed our expectations the same was it did at the Four Seasons a few days later. But this could simply be due to the fact that we were always out and about and the staff didn't have as much of a chance to make an impact on us. In fact, we felt that the security staff who kept greeting us on the grounds added more to our experience with their willing smiles and morning salutes than the service staff themselves. For the price we paid, we felt that we should have been given a private butler service, but the service wasn't missed anyway.
One thing I was impressed with was that the front desk did go out of their way to ensure that they got all my travel details before we arrived to ensure they had an Audi 4x4 was at the airport to pick us up.
Overall the W Retreat is an experience we wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It could possibly be the best resort on Samui.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On Koh Samui Thailand's most pristine beach whose golden sands give way to the Island's most idyllic sunsets, W Retreat Koh Samui is the quintessential escape, with 74 private retreats - each with its own dive pool. Explore new levels of refreshment at AWAY(R) spa, and enjoy insider access to worlds of culinary WOW at our 2 signature restaurants. Then wink your way across Samui's most scenic playground - WOOBAR(R) - where W lights up the night with peerless mixology, live DJs, and signature W Happenings celebrating our passion for fashion, music and design. Whether for a wedding or a wish, Whatever/Whenever(R) has arrived. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your W Retreat Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat Koh Samui Hotel Mae Nam
- W Retreat Koh Samui Ko Samui, Thailand