“Best Room Interiors, Stunning Views, Amazing Breakfast!”

W Retreat Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Singapore, Singapore
“Best Room Interiors, Stunning Views, Amazing Breakfast!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We spent only two nights at the W Retreat in Samui over the Easter weekend as it was fully booked on the third night so we had to move on to the Four Seasons. But the decision to try the W despite the hassle of having to change hotels was worth it!

The view you're treated to at the lobby immediately announces to your mind that you've arrived in paradise. A modern paradise at that. You'll find lots of true to life images on the website.

We stayed in a Jungle Oasis, and on a whole I have to say that the villas are simply spectacular. The villas have to be some of the best appointed and styled not just in terms of detailing but also the layout.

We loved the outdoor shower, private pool and also the large amount of space (223sqm) the villa provided us, even if we didn't really utilize the room much because we were out exploring so much. The bed was also extremely luxurious and we left wishing our own home was so well designed. The materials and colour palate of the room left us feeling relaxed and pampered just by being there.

Breakfast was an event we made sure not to miss every morning as the spread had to be one of the best we've ever experienced. Make sure you spend time at the gym before where you can work up an appetite at one of the daily morning classes for everything from yoga to pilates.

We spent a lot of time exploring Samui and while the W is quite a distance away from Chaweng and other attractions, the hotel provides shuttles to and from Chaweng at opportune times (make sure you book your seats!) and taxis are relatively easy to call on and reasonably priced.

Service overall was good, but it didn't exceed our expectations the same was it did at the Four Seasons a few days later. But this could simply be due to the fact that we were always out and about and the staff didn't have as much of a chance to make an impact on us. In fact, we felt that the security staff who kept greeting us on the grounds added more to our experience with their willing smiles and morning salutes than the service staff themselves. For the price we paid, we felt that we should have been given a private butler service, but the service wasn't missed anyway.

One thing I was impressed with was that the front desk did go out of their way to ensure that they got all my travel details before we arrived to ensure they had an Audi 4x4 was at the airport to pick us up.

Overall the W Retreat is an experience we wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It could possibly be the best resort on Samui.

1 Thank Yung O
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Hello Yung O,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay at W Retreat Koh Samui.

While your stay with us was brief I am delighted to hear that you felt we compared favourably to other esteemed resorts on Koh Samui. We certainly aim high so it is wonderful to hear that we managed to hit the mark.

Our Tropical Oasis pool villas are amongst the most popular with their private courtyards and location steps from the beach. I would agree that the internal outdoor shower is a unique feature loved by so many of our guests. I even had someone recently ask for the plans for the villa so they could look at building their house based on the floorplan!

Again, a good hint for readers to note regarding our (three times a day) complimentary shuttle to Chaweng (town) 20 minutes from the Retreat. We do ask guests to reserve their seat so we can ensure we have enough seats available on the day.

Thank you for your comments about our service. Rest assured that I am excited to know that even our security guard made such a positive impression. I will certainly use your comments to motivate the rest of our Talent to ensure they make a similar impression in future.

Thank you again for rating us so highly. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please feel free to reconnect with me if I can help further in any way.

Until then, thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Warm wishes
Nick Downing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We like almost everything here. The facilities, the services and the food are all great. The view is stunning as the hotel faces north of the island with magnificent view of Koh Phangan.

Though it is not our issue, the only drawback from some guests's perspective could lie in quality of the beach where the sand is quite coarse. With some additional investments, we think this could be addressed if the owner would like to d so.

We would like to thank for great hospitality of every staff and in particular to Khun Joe.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ericinthecity
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hello Ericinthecity,

Thanks for your brief review of your recent experience with us. I am delighted to read that Joe made such a positive impression. A great member of our Welcome team indeed!

I would agree with your assessment of our beach. While our special location on the peninsula between Bophut Bay and Maenam Bay catches everything from sunrise to sunset and has plenty of space for our guests to lounge around and enjoy the atmosphere of being totally surrounded by the Gulf of Thailand, it is true that our sand is on the coarse side. I have always been quite open and honest about this as I know we dont feature the powder white sand of the Maldives, etc.

Having said that, I would have to suggest that despite our wishes, there are some thing you simply cant change or improve. Sometimes money cant improve nature!

Regardless of this, please do reach out if I can ever help to arrange a return visit to our island.

We certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm wishes,
General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have just spent 7 days at what must be my favourite holiday hotel. It's location is fabulous. The comfort quality and privacy of the individual villas is perfect.. The bar at reception and beach bar are excellent with fantastic chill out music. My girlfriend and I wanted privacy and Nick who greeted us like friends ( my first visit and my girlfriends second) provided us with an excellent reception committee together with Tom. Sea Torres was a credit to the hotel. Breakfast was amazing.

I will definitely be back

Room Tip: Near beach bar is ideal so 160 to 174 good. We had 163. Perfect tion
4 Thank Corks01
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello Corks01

Thank you for taking the time to share your "fantastic" review of your recent experience with us.

It was a true pleasure to welcome you and of course it's always especially wonderful to welcome back previous. I am happy to know that we made such a positive impression on your girlfriend so that she convinced you to visit us on this occasion.

Even though we werent able to give the exact villa that she wanted from her first stay, I am delighted to know that you found my next recommendation perfect for your wishes. Our Tropical Oasis pool villas are perfect for those wanting their own privacy only steps from the beachfront areas of the Retreat.

Thanks for recognising both Tom and Sea. Both are great characters who do their best to impress in their roles as "Insiders" helping our guests connect with whats happening inside and outside of the Retreat.

I am also happy to hear that our breakfast display impressed!

Corks01, thanks again for sharing your thoughts here and I hope that we will once again welcome you both back next time. Dont leave it too long!

All the best and warm wishes
Manchester
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Last Friday evening we visited W Retreat for a sun downer cocktail. Upon arrival, my wife, 19 year old daughter and I, were instead recommended to participate in the W's Mojito Madness event.
888 baht (c £20) each, for as many Mojito's as we could drink between 6 - 9 pm. Well... it would have been churlish to refuse! We had no intention of drinking the place dry but we stayed all evening, enjoying the Mojito's and bar snacks selection, the hotel style, general ambiance and the very professional sounds of DJ Absolud. A sophisticated modern hotel in an idyllic setting. We wish W Retreat every success with their memorable events.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Terrythejourneyman
Hello Terrythejourneyman,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about our MoHeeToe Madness happenings on Friday evenings. We always have a lot of fun with this event and since the relaunch of Woobar with new styling and atmosphere we are noticing a wonderful increase of island visitors who take advantage of our guest DJs, great drinks and incredible views over the Gulf of Thailand as the night descends and the lighting brings a new energy to the bar.

Hopefully this wont be the last time we welcome you back to W Retreat Koh Samui.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences with everyone here.

All the best
mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Excellent place to stay if u want to pamper yourself . Two things that we got upset about , on arrival they asked the credit card , which we presumed was their formality . But instead they had swiped 10,000 baht which we came to know only via SMS. The person attending us had not mentioned it to us .
They issued a free membership card saying u could avail 15 % discount on the meal during the stay . But it didnot happen.
I would still recommend the place .

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 10DSP
Hello 10DSP,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us and I am pleased to hear that overall you had wonderful memories of your experience.

As for the issue you highlighted, yes we do take a pre-authorisation on arrival. However we should have explained this and I have highlighted this to my team to ensure this is communicated consistently. Apologies for any issue or embarrassment this caused.

As for the SPG member discount in our venues. It is true that we recently have agreed to extend 15% discount off food in our Kitchen Table restaurant (some conditions apply). I would certainly be happy to look into this if we didnt apply this discount and welcome you to contact me directly to followup on this.

Again, I am delighted to know that despite these two issues you would still recommend us and indeed I hope you would also return for another stay. Please do reach out to me directly if I can help further in any way with regards to the above or indeed should you ever plan a return visit to our island escape.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Koh Samui is one of the most beautiful of the Thai Islands. Wonderful sandy beach, most interesting views. W Hotel and Resorts is a most luxurious and comfortable Hotel on this island, that I know. My wife and I just spent our 20 (plus odd...) wedding anniversary staying there for few days and what we experienced is far better than our expectations. The staff is MOST attentive and if possible, every wish is fulfilled promptly. All in all a highly recommendable Hotel and Resort!!

Room Tip: Suits looking to the beach with a private swimming pool are a dream!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Abraham1_11
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hello Abraham1_11,

Thank you for such a wodnerful brief review of your recent experience with us.

AS someone who knows Starwood hotels and Thailand so well, I am thrilled to know we managed to impress beyond expectations.

Of course we love to try and make such anniversaries special and I do hope that you enjoyed our MoHeeToe Madness and the special atmosphere of Kitchen Table in the evening.

I can only hope that we manage to welcome you back again in the near future....pelase dont wait another 20 years!

Thank you again and our best wishes to you both for many years to come.
Warmest wishes
General Manager.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were immediately WOWed upon arrival at the retreat and left speechless for few seconds and realized we made the right choice. The lobby offers breathtaking panoramic view of the sea and horizon. Its natural for every guest (including us) upon arrival to immediately take out their cameras for some quick stunning shots. This is just the beginning of great WOW experience.

We were presented with welcome drink and refreshing towels during check-in and were introduced to the retreat main area (lobby, WOW bar, restaurant, etc) and then taken to our Ocean View Escape villa by buggy. The check-in officer did a quick intro to the villa and left. Check-in was quick and smooth. The view from the villa is great and we spent some time taking indoor and outdoor photos.

The villa comes with comfortable king-sized bed (with featherbed) together with 2 large down pillows and 2 large polyester pillows. The bed is just right not too soft and not too firm. Sheets are clean and silky smooth for good rest. A little dissapointed as the quilt is not made of down which could add more luxury and comfort. The red bear with a black silk tie on the bed is a nice touch. The retreat has turndown service which get all your curtains closed and glow with romantic red twilight which could set you into the mood. To our surprise, the red bear on the bed is now fitted with a black silk dress. Nice touch.

Our villa has 2 rain showers, indoor and outdoor. Both have similar amenities by Bliss. You get the nice Sinkside Six by Bliss (lemon soap, facial wash, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion). What's best is the large bathtub and we get to enjoy the nice view while soaking. Oops you can have 2 curtains to cover and it is up to you.

The outdoor area is equipped with lap infinity pool, large king-sized day bed, a small table for 2, 2 sundecks, and 2 outdoor towels. The floor is covered by artificial grass and nice to step on.

Many couples will definitely get intimate in the villa with some ice-creams and orange juices from the sweet spot. The Sweet spot is great addition to the villa where you get to self-serve free flow of Häagen Dazs, Magnum, Cornetto, Minute Maid orange juice, Coke, mineral water. Don't just enjoy the villa, we suggest you take some time to get around the retreat. The best is the WOW bar at the lobby which offers breathtaking view while enjoying some refreshments. Be there early if you want to get a place to chill on the sunken sofa and enjoy the sunset with some energetic mix from the cool DJ. This place is hugely popular from 5 plus to late and was very happening. The nite view is absolutely great and prepare to take some great shots. Also, be sure to venture down futher to the beach where the Namu Japanese restaurant and Sip bar (chic-styled) are located. You can get a buggy down there or slow stroll down.

Breakfast was good and what we like best was the freshly made bottled juices in the fridge. Overall the food is tasty but could have done better with more buffet selections. There were good selections of pastries and cereals though.

Service was good and buggy arrived within minutes and I don't have anything to fault them in the service department. The staff will greet us whenever they met us. We met Nick, general manager of the retreat and he is a friendly guy.

We truly enjoyed our stay and got WOW! This is a few places that earn our privilege badge of we shall be back. Highly recommended for honeymooners or couples.

Room Tip: Ask for the top 2 highest Ocean View villa for best view and request to be near the sweet spot.
5 Thank UnderTheSheets
Hello UnderTheSheets,

Thank you for such a Wow review of your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui. I am delighted to see that we made such an incredible impression.

I can see from your pictures that you enjoyed everything from our private pool villas to our famous Sweetspots with complimentary icecreams and drinks to our recently revealed and relaunched Woobar!

I am also delighted to hear that we rank up there with the few places you would want to return to. Needless to say, please reach out to me when that time comes and I will do my best to ensure we impress yet again.

Until then, thank you again for sharing your thoughts and pictures.

See you soon!
#19 of 185 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!