“5 star experience all around”

W Retreat Koh Samui
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
New York City, New York
“5 star experience all around”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Couldn't have asked for a better stay. Went there for our honeymoon August 2011 when they first opened. The resort's breathtaking, the staff is so friendly and attentive, and the breakfast buffet, omg drool! We can't wait to make our way back there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank foodiefattie
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hello foodiefattie,

I am delighted to hear that you have amazing memories of your honeymoon with us!

Of course, please know that we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Trust me, Robert and his culinary team have even more to drool over now in our restaurants and bars!

Until then, wishing you years of happiness.
Nick Downing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm really late in writing this review, but my husband and I stayed at the hotel in May 2012. I really can't say enough nice things about this fabulous hotel. First of all, the lobby and bar area are just breathtaking! It's a magical place to just sit and have a cocktail outside and look out to the ocean.
The rooms were amazing and we had a private pool. Honestly, the pool was a little to cold to swim, but it was still nice to look at. :-) The rooms were great and bathrooms were amazing! We were there for 5 days and I could have stayed at this hotel for months! Love all the Bliss products that were stocked fresh every day too! The beds were super comfy.
The main pool was great and also had amazing views.They also have "sweet spots" all around the resort and you can pick up free waters ice cream!
The spa was maybe my best experience about the place. The ladies were so lovely and I seriously had the best massage I have ever had- I wish I could remember her name! It was so good, I went back the next day and had another massage before we left.
The hotel also has a nice shuttle service that will take you in to town. We loved walking around and checking out all the shops and restaurants.
Nick, the general manager, was super friendly and always happy to make sure we had everything we needed.
We're coming back to the island in May this year, and were sorry to see this property wasn't available for when we were coming in. But we will make sure to stop by for a drink at the bar at least!
Overall, it was a wonderful experience and you won't be sorry you stayed here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly C
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi Kelly C!

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay last year...phew you just made it in time before the deadline to submit! But I am certainly pleased that you did.

I am honestly so excited to see that you have such great impressions and memories of your stay with us, despite the time having passed.

I note that you are coming back to Koh Samui this year. PLEASE contact me directly if you have any chance and let me see if there is anything I can do to get you to stay with us again. And even if for some reason we cannot make it happen, PLEASE contact me anyway and let's arrange to catch up. I am sure you would love to see all the changes that have finally happened at the entrance, W Lounge and Woobar. You wont believe the new artwork done by New York street artist, Alec Monopoly.

Thanks again for your five star vote of confidence and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Warmest wishes
nicholas.downing@whotels.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place really is as beautiful in any pictures you have seen. The entry way of the hotel opens up to a breath taking panoramic view of the ocean, the island and the hotel compound below. Any guests that arrives are stunned by it as they all, including me, start taking pictures and can't stop looking at the view. We stayed there for four days and each day that view just gets better. We got a villa and it came with a nice lap pool. It's a very good sized lap pool that's functional as you're actually able to swim in it. The villa was wonderful inside and out - sleek design, clean, great light, private...etc. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Communication with the staff was a bit of a problem from time to time and I'll just attribute that to language issue. Otherwise, again, they were very friendly and helpful. And because of that, I would give this hotel 4.8 stars instead of 5 stars. Their restaurant manager, Robert Conti, is a gentleman and both me and my wife enjoyed the conversation with him about his experience in Asia and life in general. He was humble, open and did not come off like one of those slick hotel managers. Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel. Both me and the wife miss this place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oriensus
Hello oriensus,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience with us.

I am happy to hear that we made such a positive impression overall.

We do indeed now have a fulltime English teacher working with our talent and we constantly stress how important it is to be able to communicate effectively. Especially when our goal is to constantly deliver Whatever/Whenever a guest wishes. So hopefully we will continue to improve in this area.

And thanks for recognising Robert. As our Director of Culinary & Service his role is a critical one to our success. Not only overseeing the kitchens, restaurants and bars, Robert is also one of the driving creative forces at the Retreat and I know he loves connecting with many of our guests too. You'll often see him either down on the beach or up at Woobar sharing his recommendations and experiences on the island.

So thank you again for your review and both Robert, myself and all the team of W Retreat Koh Samui look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Until then, warm wishes
Palm Springs
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Great Beach Location, nice and simply beautiful everything is nice about this property from every direction rooms, restaurant and lobby and staff

The best value lobster, and The club sandwich :)

need great deal book in advance check out all travel website, I got deal from expedia.com

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zaino M
Hello Zaino M!

Thank you for your brief review...and pictures!

I see that you captured some of the new Woobar designs including our signature seating pods that are now transformed into comfortable pools of green cushions floating in our reflection pond. And it's great to show everyone our new bar counter which has become a true gathering point for many people to enjoy a MoHeeToe or two while watching the sunset turn the skies into magnificent shades of orange!

In fact we are in final planning staging for a major event to signify the "relaunch" of Woobar after all the styling improvements made in recent months. Stay tuned for more information!

I have to admit I usually judge a hotel by it's club sandwhich so I am delighted to hear that ours made the grade.

Thanks again for sharing your pictures and thoughts and I hope to welcome you back soon.

All the best
Shanghai Region, China
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I feel an obligation to comment honestly on this resort, after checking out as long as almost one year ago.

I stayed in this fantastic resort in June 2012.

The Room: after the receptionist finished his brief introduction to my room and left by the little buggy, I burst out a resonant yell uncontrollably: the room looks fantastically posh and chic!!!

At first sight, that private pool, in rectangular shape and holding an eyeful of emerald water in bright sunshine, made me scream, immediately strip myself and jump into it there and then!!!

The Food: the restaurant is huge and round in shape, with an unobstructed view of the ocean. Tables, lamps and chairs are tastily chosen. Food varieties are great. Thai cuisine is authentic. Most waiters bore smiles naturally. Everything feels just the right way.

The Gym: Huge. State-of-the-art. Spacious. The bathroom in the gym is impressively chic, and even reminded me of some posh washroom in a 5-star hotel in London or HK’s Central. Classes for free are on offer on a daily basis. I tried the Stretching Class, which was taught by a local Thai boy who is totally inspiring in his way of teaching. I’ve learned a lot skills about how to stretch my tired body after a hard day’s work. These skills benefit me further still until now. Thanks a lot!!!

The pool: the public pool is perched on a mid-hill spot, looking in a decent size. Service is perfect and they won't bother you too much, but prepared everything well and quietly. I love it.

The Bathroom: a five-starred design, which can readily serve as a makeup room for a Hollywood star. The vanity top is made of some shiny black marbles with chic stripes, and the mirrors move 360 degrees around a pole. Brilliant design.

The Spa: be sure to try the outdoor shower area. Press a button to experience a huge surprise of water flowing from nowhere. You will laugh it out and have great fun! The steam house looks so much like a Mongolian Tent. The fabric shorts which they gave you to wear before the massage are quite a pleasantly quaint treat. I love this fine touch. My Spa massage room even has a sea view, which surprised me hugely when I rose heart-contentedly from the comfortable spa bed.

I am rather picky, but was totally and completely satisfied with every aspect of this retreat, to be 100% honest.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Duncan J
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hello Duncan J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about W Retreat Koh Samui after you stayed with us mid 2012. It means a lot that you would still have such memories after a period of time and still wish to share them with everyone. Thank you.

It certainly seems that you fell in love with our design and style which is certainly different from your typical Thai island resort. Our mix of modern contemporary styling is something which continues to surprise and impress many visitors to the island.

I am also excited to read that you enjoyed our signature Thaimazcal sauna experience in our Away Spa. Again, it's certainly adds to our approach of creating fun and exciting ways to experience our Retreat.

I know it's been a little while since you stayed with us. However I do hope it wont be the last time. As said, maybe come and visit us once the main pool is done and create some new memories of Koh Samui. I would love to hear from you to arrange a future visit.

Until then, thank you again and warmest wishes,
Australia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

i spent a wonderful week at this resort, i've stayed in some wonderful hotels around the world but this would have to be one of the best five star hotel I've stayed in recently.

We were picked up in a luxurious Mercedes at the airport and within 15 minutes arrived at the luxurious W Retreat located in Mae Nam. As the pictures reflect it is truly amazing and the sheer beauty is inexpressible until you physically see it in person. Check in was extremely prompt and it was lovely gesture of the General Manager Nick to introduce himself to us.

Hotel Room: We booked the jungle room based on reading previous reviews stating the Ocean View Escape rooms are not as 'private'. Room had a comfy bed with large lcd tv ( tho we borrowed some dvd's and found we couldn't adjust the tv setting and viewing the movies was extremely dark on the screen). Outdoor show which i didn't get an opportunity to use, indoor shower and a luxurious bathtub with a flat tv to view.
Private pool was exceptionally big, a 10m x 2m pool substantial enough to do laps.
Wifi connection was choppy throughout our stay
Sweet Treats: always looked forward coming back to the hotel to see what goodies would be left for us!

Room Service: Wish there was more of a selection ( i'm just a tad greedy) but the local Thai dishes we ordered was yummy.
Sweet Spots: All you can eat ice cream and drinks! - what more do i say?..I'm still trying to work off all the ice cream I've eaten.

Restaurant: The Kitchen Table serves an amazing range of breakfast. From the fresh juices to the freshly cooked pancakes I was in heaven every morning.
Namu: We have NOBU back at home and i can honestly say this is on par if not better in some ways. Dined here for two nights and was delicious both occasions, soft shell tempura roll is a must try for anyone dining here.

Spa: Wish i had more spa treatments here, unfortunately i was only able to get a booking the day before i was departing. Got the Well Travelled massage and i nearly fell asleep - that's how good it was.

Woobar: Didn't have a drink here but it was truly spectacular at night with the resident dj spinning great tunes every night

Location: Tucked away from the bustle part of town, hotel offers a shuttle to Chaweng and Fisherman's Village daily.

Thank you for such a great week and a stay which will be hard to beat. We can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Jungle Rooms are lovely with partial views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mocha88
Hello mocha88,

WoW...What a Wonderful Week of WOWs! :-)

Thank you so much for sharing such thorough thoughts about your recent experience with us.

I am honestly so thrilled to see that you enjoyed everything from Namu to the private pools, from the sweet spots to the amazing breakfast display.

I do have to admit that for some reason we have been experiencing some issues with our complimentary wifi system. In fact we have some consultants with us at this very moment working on how we can improve our system in the future, especially now with everyone traveling with more and more mobile devices.

I really do thank you for your glowing recommendations and I certainly hope that we will welcome you back again so we can prove that such incredible experiences can indeed happen again and again.

I hope to hear from you.

In the meantime, please accept warm wishes from us all.
General Manager.
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

WOW WOW WOW! This place is out of this world! We stayed here for 7 nights and celebrated our wedding here on the 3/3/13.
I was a little concerned when we first arrived as the contact (Nok)I had been dealing with for the last year with our wedding plans had left the company, however I was greeted by the wonderful Mew who had been well informed and was well up to date with all our wedding plans and made me feel confident once again!
The wedding was absolutely amazing we had 35 adults and 9 children and every guest (even the kids) that came said it was the best wedding they had ever been to. We were blessed with great weather and tied the knot under the palm trees at the Sip bar!
The food, ceremony, drinks and music were outstanding and the team at W and Bliss insured that the day was perfect for us! We looked at so many places on Samui to get married and we were so glad we picked this resort, if your looking for a private beautiful beach with the best food and service in Samui to get hitched at then this is the place for you!

You must check out the spa at the retreat it is more expensive than most spas but well worth every penny! We loved our treatments!

Breakfast is to die for probably one of the best we've ever had so much choice and freshness.... Drooling thinking about it!

The location is a little away from the busy areas but its a retreat so perfect if you don't want to get hassled or if you want to completely unwind and relax In the most beautiful place in Samui! It's only 5 mins drive from the charming fishermans village (which in my mind is much nicer than Chawang and Lamai) and so easy to get to....you just dial whatever whenever they deliver a buggy to your room and when you get to the main area there is a driver with a door open to a taxi.... It just flows! Also they have complimentary shuttles to Chawang if you want that hussel and bussel for the day/night!

All the staff were exceptional at the the W retreat, Nic the GM has such an amazing team and this is a credit to what a fantastic manager he is! I just wanted to say a massive thanks to all the staff that we met from the security cards and buggy drivers to the Insiders and managers! There was not one member of staff we met that didn't smile or welcome us with open arms!
A big big thanks to Sea, we absolutely fell in love with this lady she was not only amazing on our wedding day but everyday we saw her... She really made the trip for us! Also to Tom (insider) Ice (insider i think?) the cute little 1/2 Irish girl at the Woo bar (sorry don't know her name) and Nok at the Woo bar for giving us that extra exceptional service!

Thanks to the W gang at Koh Samui we are now W addicts and are looking for our next fix so we've decided on a little weekend at the retreat in Bali however they have big shoes to fill!

Thanks once again to Nic and the team we will definately be back!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Tictac73
Hello tictac73,

First of all, a huge thank you for your WOW review of your recent stay with us.

There is no doubt that our Retreat is the perfect setting for a small wedding with a difference. I have to admit however that we do limit the number of weddings we do to ensure we really focus on those we accept. We understand how important such events are in people's lives and it is our goal to ensure that not only does the special day go perfectly, but that the people who come for such an event, truly relax, have a great time and enjoy the time with family and friends.

I am delighted that many of the team made such an impression. There is no doubt we have some real characters who provide such colour to our Retreat. Sea and Sarah are both incredible personalities that are hard to forget. Ice (our Liquid Manager...yes that really is his title!) is a true gem that continues to impress guests along with other talent such as Nok and Tom of course! And I am delighted that Mew was able to step in and ensure that your overall planning went without a hitch.

As you know, we certainly hope that we now consider you as family and that we hope you will come back often to relive some of the magic you had recently. Needless to say, I hope to hear from you so I can help with such arrangements.

Until then, you both have our very best wishes and we wish you many years of happiness together.

See you soon...we hope!
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!