“W(ow)! Beautiful villas”

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Helsinki, Finland
“W(ow)! Beautiful villas”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

A wonderful resort on the north side of Koh Samui. This property is an all villa property. I was positively surprised with both the villa and its pool.

Pros:
+ wonderful oceanfront pool villa with high ceiling, outside shower and very cool bathroom
+ spacious, immaculately clean pool
+ literally a *sunbed* in the garden area
+ complimentary softdrinks here and there
+ great breakfast
+ good cocktails at the pool bar
+ very quiet area smack on the beach

Cons:
- the location isn't that great, you'll need a car or taxi to get around
- the only thing I could wish for more in the villa was a more Thai feeling. This property should honour out its location more

Room Tip: Oceanfront villa
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello Hennessyparadis,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review (and pictures!) of your stay with us.

I am happy to hear that you found so many positives about the resort, ranging from our unique contemporary villas to our beachside location to our great breakfast display.

Of course I have mentioned our location a few times previously. I realise we are not right in the hustle and bustle of Chaweng (town). However our private peninsula location only five minutes from the charming Fisherman's Village (with its eclectic range of restaurants and bars) is still only 20 minute drive from the center of town for those that really crave the activity of the shops and night clubs.

And I would also note that it seems you stayed a few months ago as our iconic reflection pond seating which is part of our Woobar has recently been transformed into a completely different vibe. So hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again in the future to see all the changes and the new energy of the space. In fact as part of the new design, we have indeed incorporated certain Thai designs and patterns throughout Woobar and the W Lounge...but of course in a very unique and unexpected way...such as you would expect from any W Hotel Worldwide.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and as said, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the very best
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the W Retreat in Koh Samui and was very impressed with the excellent service and care given by the W team while staying there. I organize tours for a living so I always like to compare different properties with each other. The main important factor that I look at is how enthusiastic and motivated the staff are since this always affects the service that they provide and what makes the difference in the guests overal experience. While staying at the W not only was I impressed with the attentiveness and care each one gave by going out of their way to make you feel at home, I found that everyone carried a great sense of pride of working there and being part of the W brand. Each person had their own unique personality and it was nice to see them comfortable expressing it. I have a bit of a difficult surname, so we decided that the receptionist would call me Ms. Smith, which was a fun inside joke between us and also shows the humor and fun side of the hotel.. I also felt that they truly embodied the whatever/whenever concept, and during my stay I was craving something and within minutes Robert Conte, the Director of F&B had it specially made for me (even though they actually have a very extensive breakfast buffet selection and it wasn't necessary I was so impressed with his 'can do' attitude). What I enjoyed most was the exquisite dining experiences at their Namu restaurant (make sure to reserve in advance because they book up quickly). There was such a nice harmony amongst the staff and you could tell that everyone enjoyed working there. They also all had very positive things to say about their GM Nicholas Downing, which to me is always a great sign. While I only met the GM briefly on the last day, he went out of his way to see me off personally, even though the hotel was running on full occupancy that day. From the spacious room with private pool, the great location and private beach to the whatever/whenever attitude - I had a very memorable experience and I would highly recommend a stay at the W Retreat!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hello SomaJourneys (Mrs Smith!)

Thank you for such a memorable review of your recent stay with us.

As you have no doubt seen from many recent reviews and my replies, we really do value our approach to service and our efforts to connect with guests on a level unlike other resorts.

I am always delighted to hear when we are so successful on a level such as you suggest.

Our efforts to deliver whatever/whenever is ongoing and again, I am so happy to have Robert assisting with his team to constantly look for ways to impress our guests on a daily level. As an example, even though we know we have a great breakfast display, I know that our team will always endeavour to provide whatever a guest may desire, even if it isn't on display. Again our goal is to deliver whatever a guest wants, whenever they want it...24/7...as long as it's legal !

Thank you for your kind personal comments. However I always point out that a hotel is greater than any one person and I am very fortunate to be part of a team that really is trying to deliver something unique and special. And hopefully while we have fun along the way!

So thank you again for all your feedback. I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back soon and rest assured we will do our best to impress once again.

Warmest wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I wanted to share my experience of this hotel with all. It is safe to say that if you book this hotel you have made a good decision. I can only describe this hotel as 'flash' 'arty' 'vibrant' 'chilled/trendy with a great atmosphere' 'attentive staff' the list goes on!! Alec Monopoly Artwork is so breathtaking. My partner is a Starwood Plat member so been lucky enough to stay in a number of Starwood Hotels (mostly of a premium range.) and hands down this is the best. (Not sure why its not adults only, there were hardly any children. The breakfast selection is the best selection I have ever seen in any hotel, you just don't see this anywhere (i wouldn't normally write about breakfast tbh). Staff are nice although we largely kept ourselves to ourselves as wanted to relax. Spa was great, book a massage, private beach with included activities, evening music was fantastic, golf car to take us around, free icecreams/drinks 24/7....Sushi was good, manager was attentive and organised (top matey). Room was great, private pool on the balcony, outdoor (enclosed) shower room (no need for the normal shower), good sound system in room, quality teddy bear (stay and you will understand) Age ranges of late 20's to mid to late 50's whilst we stayed, mostly nice people around you. If you want if you want 'modern, trendy, class', book this. Our Trip consisted of W Bangkok (new hotel, book it too) Then up to Chang Mai (Le Méridien) Chang Rai (Le Meridien). Tour Guide Jermsak, legend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Mark_Archway,

Thank you for your amazing review of your recent stay with us.

In light of some recent "less than positive" reviews, I am so happy to read that we connected with you in the way that we wish we could connect with all our guests. It really seems as though you enjoyed everything from our service to our unique style and really did enjoy the Retreat on so many levels.

I dont think I could explain it any better that you did, so I will simply say thank you! I hope we can welcome you back in the future so you can continue to see our ongoing efforts to continually surprise and inspire our guests to unplug and play during their island escape ion the Gulf of Thailand.

See you soon!

Warm wishes
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Inspite of having read a few adverse reviews on trip advisor about the service in this property, we still chose to go ahead with our stay at the W retreat samui. Must say that we were very happy with the service, the rooms and the special care taken by the staff during our recent stay there. The GM Mr Nicholas Downing and his entire team played perfect hosts and as a result we felt totally pampered and looked after. One of our most memorable vacations . The location of this property and the rooms are superb .Beach ,even though not perfect is very good . All in all a great place for a relaxing romantic getaway.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Rial2310,

First of all, thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us.

As you know, I do feel that so many of our guests have such an extraordinary experience with us, that when guests come "looking" for issues based on what they may have read somewhere, it can sometimes be a challenge as it is a true challenge for any resort to be 100% perfect all the time.

As you noticed however, you had an incredible experience with us based on nothing more than our usual approach to delivering the best we possibly can.

It was a true pleasure to welcome you both for such a special occasion (congratulations again!) and while I know that you rarely visit the same place twice, I do sincerely hope you may make an exception so we can welcome you back in the future.

Regardless of the above, thank you again and I do wish you wonderful experiences in the future.

Warmest wishes
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Amazing service - staff was extremely attentive and helpful.
Good view from our ocean view villa. While our villa is located on the hillside, it's only a 5 min walk to the lobby. Golf carts are also available upon requests (which arrive within minutes) to take us to places.
Breakfast is good but selection is a bit limited. But it is made up by the service and the 130 degree ocean view.
We would definitely come back again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MinYing
Hello MinYing,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us recently.

As always, I am delighted to ehar when our service makes such a positive impression.

I do note your comments about our breakfast. Normally we receive rave reviews about our breakfast and I have to admit that it's sometimes hard to narrow down exactly what we are missing when we have so much on display and we also offer to prepare anything else that a guest may require...our true approach to Whatever/Whenever service style.

I do thank you for your comments however and I do hope that next time we welcome you back we can push to exceed your expectations and rate even higher next time!

Until then, warm wishes
General Manager.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed February 9, 2013

For our Koh Samui holiday, we were puzzled between staying at W hotel, Four Seasons and Banyan Tree (since they both seemed to have their advantages and disadvantages from the many internet reviews). So, in the end, we decided to stay at all 3 places, and are now able to compare them to each other (see my other reviews). Also, let me introduce you by telling that I am a seasoned traveller and stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world. When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure. So we only like the best of the best.

Before rating the W hotel : while Koh Samui is very nice and lush island, I have to agree with many other reviews on the internet : it is not in the same league of the stunningly beautiful and tropically exotic Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands have truly the most beautiful, powdery white sand beaches of the world, while I found the beaches at Koh Samui nothing to write home about (with the exception of the stunningly beautiful private beach of the Four Seasons). Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed our time in Koh Samui, and I would recommend it for a few days after a sightseeing tour in Thailand or a city-trip to Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Bangkok (which all have direct flights to the island with Bangkok Airways).

While the W hotel is definitely a luxurious hotel, I did not completely fit my taste (and is inferior to the Four Seasons and Banyan Tree although it will attract a different crowd). And I feel bad to say this because the staff is the most wonderful staff that I ever met at a hotel.

PROS :
- a wonderful staff, absolutely amazing. Everyone is so genuinely friendly and discrete at the same time, and will do all they can to make your holiday a success. The general manager, Mr Nicholas Downing, was visibly present everywhere. He greets his guest and makes time to chat with everyone. He seemed like an amazing guy, doing a supergreat job, reflected by his wonderfully behaved staff. Never before I was at a resort where the GM seemed so involved with his staff and guests, so the Starwood hotel chain are truly blessed with this guy. I would rate the management and the staff 6 stars if I could do so.
- Without any doubt, the impressive lobby is thé attraction of the hotel, offering spectacular views over the sea and distant islands. In the evening, the bar is wonderfully enlightened, and becomes a trendy, yet intimate place to spend time with friends.
- The modern rooms – with a few exceptions - all have the same layout. They are very specious, feature a oversized bathroom, and all come with a private pool. Rooms are either located near the beach (these rooms come with their own garden) or on a hill. Beds are heavenly soft.
- As a SPG member (and when you show your SPG card), you get 15% to 20% discounts for food and spa treatments. So, I would advice everyone to subscribe for free to the SPG program, as it can help you save some dollars.
- Beach loungers are excellent!
- The hotel breaths a designer atmosphere and as such will please to the younger crowd (20 to 40 something).
- The spa is lovely and treatments are moderately priced.
- The hotel beach enjoys sunshine from sunrise till sunset (which is not the case at the Four Seasons or Banyan Tree hotel).

CONS (+ few suggestions for the owners) :
- the main swimming pool, while very attractive and offering breathtaking views, is located a few floors under the lobby, about a 10 min walk from the beach. This means that you have to choose to spend your time either at the beach or at the pool, as you cannot combine them. An extra pool at the beach would definitely be appreciated by hotel guests. In addition, a hottube or 2 at the beach would also be a very nice addition (and put them above their competitors).
- while the location of the hotel is great, with one, windy beach facing east, and one windless beach facing west, I found the beach itself to be underwhelming (not the tropical idylle that you may expect). The colour of the sand is brownish, and the grain of sands are quite large (I found it even unpleasant and quite painful to walk barefoot on the beach). Having said that, the hotel is quite honest about this when you read the comments of the general manager here on Tripadvisor as they do not pretend to have a white sand beach. In all honesty, the W beach cannot compete with the beautiful stretch of powdery white sand of the Four Seasons.
- vegetation is still a bit immature and not as lush as compared to the palm-studded and jungle covered hotel grounds of the Four Seasons and to a lesser extend the Banyan Tree resort. If you truly want a tropical experience with lush tropical vegetation, then you might be disappointed.
- internet connections was sometimes very slow. Wifi was available in the rooms, but there was no wifi at the beach. This may not bother some, but we did miss it to surf the internet on our tablets while lounging near the beach.
- the hotel grounds are not private, as a small road is running through the resort : you should not fear traffic, but this will mean that you will have to share the beach with non-guests. Maybe it is not possible due to local laws, but the attractiveness of the hotel would increase if its domain was fully private.
- Keep in mind that when you choose a villa with ocean view (except for beach front villas), you will be located at a hill, and need a 10 min walk to the beach (or the hotel can take you there with their very efficient buggy system). The hotel website states that the rooms on the top of the hill get - I quote - “vibrant sunset views”, but all the rooms on this hill face the east, so not chance to view the sunset from any of these rooms at all. I felt let down by the hotel in this particular aspect, especially since I requested one of these rooms to view the sunset and since I find the information on ocean view escapes on the W website rather misleading (or maybe overlooked?).
- While buffet breakfast was excellent, I cannot help but compare it to the amazing buffet breakfast of the W hotel in Bali, which offered a lot more choices because of the addition of warm dishes besides the buffet. If the W Koh Samui would offer the same breakfast formula, with the addition of a menu with warm dishes, this would be a winner, no doubt about it.

All in all, a good experience, but the Banyan Tree hotel and especially the Four Seasons hotel (the latter being one of my all time favorites) will offer you a more upscale stay in a more tropical, paradise-alike environment for about the same amount of money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank LuxTravelExpert
Hello Talula01,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of your recent experiences while on Koh Samui.

I have to admit that it's always great to have someone take the time to explain their thorough and fair reasoning behind their thoughts.

There is no doubt I wish we were #1 in your ranking and I have to admit to being disappointed to see that we didnt rate higher in your eyes compared to other experiences on the island. Although I can totally understand your thoughts and opinions.

Despite the pros and cons you highlight, I have to admit that I am most happy to read that it seems that our team and service was truly up there with the best and caused you to have such wonderful memories of your experience at W Retreat Koh Samui. Honestly, this is where we place the most importance in ensuring an experience to remember and I am delighted that we made such an impression.

I would certainly recognise that our more open north facing peninsula location creates a very different beach atmosphere rather than the enclosed cove of some other resorts. However as you noted this is certainly a matter of certian people preferring one feeling over another and many guests really do enjoy our feeling of being surrounded by the water of Gulf of Thailand.

I do note your comment about our pool location which was designed to be perched high over the villas to take in the stunning ocean views. Again, with every villa having their own private pool, this was a conscious decision at the time. However with our SIP beach bar becoming more and more popular, especially during our Saturday afternoon Beach BBQ, who knows what may happen in the future down by the beach?! Especially now that we have completed our redesign of Woobar and W Lounge over the past couple of months.

And yes, after two comments recently, we noticed that our website description of the Ocean View Escapes could be misinterpreted to be facing towards the sunset. We listened and have changed the description already to ensure that future guests realise that our hillside retreats face towards the north and as such while the Ocean View Escapes do feature amazing views of the Gulf of Thailand and incredible vistas, they dont necessarily feature direct sunset views to the West.

As for your comments about the overall style of landscape and vegetation, there is no doubt again that the designers of the Retreat were aiming for a different feel that some of the more traditional "tropical" resorts on the island. I do acknowledge that this again is a very personal preference and I can understand the appeal of both styles. As an example, we have taken a very different direction with our private courtyard gardens of our beachside retreats that really would seem out of place at some other more traditional styled resorts.

Again, thank you for your very thorough review and comparison. I have no doubt that many readers will find your review helpful in deciding their future Koh Samui escape and I can only hope that we continue to lead the pack in terms of friendly and discrete service.

I wish you wonderful travels in the future and hope that we may have the chance to welcome you back again someday.

Until then, warm wishes
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 5, 2013

My partner and I were >this< close to staying here for our holiday thanks to the strong reviews on TripAdvisor. Instead, we opted for the Four Seasons, but I was still really curious if we made the right decision. After all, I think I'm the prime demographic for the W chain: reasonably affluent, globetrotting, mid-30s and gay. I wanted to check it out!

So we popped by the W for dinner at Namu, their Japanese restaurant. So here's my thoughts on what I saw that evening: It was average by every measure except price! We were shocked at how expensive the restaurant was. Remember, that we were coming from a Four Seasons, which isn't known for it's low-low prices. At dinner, the service was rushed and the menu was limited. The restaurant itself was plain and uninspired, apart from a pretty cool (albeit tiny) open kitchen / sushi bar. There were very few lights on the property, so the windows became black walls of glass. It all just felt so corporate and inauthentic, it was unsettling.

After a 45 minute £200 dinner, we grabbed a buggy back back to the main lobby area. The trip reinforced the claustrophobic-feeling from the restaurant. The rooms seem to come right up to the narrow buggy-wide pathways, so it felt like travelling through a back-alley. I didn't see a room, but I'm confident that they are comfortable and well-appointed.

Back at the lobby, I was able to get my bearings a bit. A DJ was spinning something suitably generic from behind a bejazzled lion head. A few other guests were milling about looking lost. Lots of dimly illuminated plastic boxes and orbs all over the place. Seemed to be decorated by Habitat. Which may be your thing so you might love it.

This is really the crux of the problem: W seems to have manufactured a high energy, achingly hip and transiently cool version of a Sheraton on a Thai island. It doesn't work for me. It's just too out of place.

If you have the choice, stay at the Four Seasons. Don't come all this way and settle for the W. Even if you're using Starwood points to pay for your accommodations, I still wouldn't recommend the W based on what I saw.

Clearly my opinion is in the minority here on TripAdvisor. So disregard if you're adventurous type of hotel-goer and want to take a chance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aidan60657
Hello aidan60657,

In have to admit that I am disappointed to read your comments about your recent dining experience with us. There is no doubt we aim for Namu to be one of the premier dining experiences on the island. Needless to say we take your comments seriously and have already discussed this feedback with the team to ensure that we always strive to deliver an experience in line with what our guests deserve and expect in terms of value and experience.

As for your comments about the overall style of the Retreat, we regularly welcome guests from other resorts to enjoy our various dining and entertainment options. As such we understand how important it is to make a first and lasting impression. There is no doubt however that it is hard to get a true picture of the entire resort experience when passing through as you did the other night. I would certainly encourage you to come back during the day and experience everything that the Retreat has to offer.

Having said that, we totally understand that our unique design and style is not suited to everyone and hence I do thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments and do hope that you enjoyed the more tropical surroundings of your chosen Koh Samui escape.

Wishing you extraordinary experiences in the future and I do hope you may visit us again in the future.

Warm wishes
#19 of 186 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!