It has been just about two months since we have returned from our honeymoon in Thailand, and we still wish we were there! The W Retreat was our last stop on a 13 day honeymoon to Hong Kong and other cities around Thailand. Overall the stay was excellent, but there were some things we experienced as soon as we arrived that were a little dissapointing.
The welcome staff were not quite as friendly as I would have hoped. At every single other hotel we stayed at there was mention of congratulations on our marriage, an upgraded room, and other special gestures for this reason. At the Banyan Tree in Phuket, we were upgraded to their double pool villa, presented with $200 to the gift shop, free bottles of champagne, chocolate etc etc and at the W, nothing. I do think the Banyan Tree went above and beyond what most hotels would or should do, but I was hoping for at least some sort of gesture at our last stop on the honeymoon. Not a huge deal, but it did not start things off in the best light.
The pro's are as follows: The view is AMAZING from up top, food at Woobar and Namu and the breakfast table were excellent and we loved the spa. By far, our couples massage was the best here, at the top room as the sun went down. You really couldn't have picked a better setting. Also, Nick, you were very friendly and helpful as well (for example when we went Scuba diving and you knew they would be late, you told us to go back to the Kitchen table and relax with some coffee and let us know when they arrived). We also loved Fishermans Village and how close the W was with high marks on the recommendation of CoCo Toms (very fun beach bar, romantic, and delcious drinks!
Another negative was although the food at Namu was delicious, we were told they were "full" when every table was available but two. We sat at the sushi bar and nobody showed up throughout our meal. Would have certainly been a better experience to be at a table on our last night in Koh Samui, but it is what it is. My final recommendation would be to heat the pool. It was too cold to enjoy and it would have been really nice to relax in a warm pool watching the sunset. Just a tip I think could go a long way.
Overall, we had a great stay, but a few minor things would have made it that much better. Thank you again for your hospitality and for ending our honeymoon on the right note!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On Koh Samui Thailand's most pristine beach whose golden sands give way to the Island's most idyllic sunsets, W Retreat Koh Samui is the quintessential escape, with 74 private retreats - each with its own dive pool. Explore new levels of refreshment at AWAY(R) spa, and enjoy insider access to worlds of culinary WOW at our 2 signature restaurants. Then wink your way across Samui's most scenic playground - WOOBAR(R) - where W lights up the night with peerless mixology, live DJs, and signature W Happenings celebrating our passion for fashion, music and design. Whether for a wedding or a wish, Whatever/Whenever(R) has arrived. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood APAC, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your W Retreat Koh Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat Koh Samui Hotel Mae Nam
- W Retreat Koh Samui Ko Samui, Thailand