“Our Honeymoon at the W Retreat”

W Retreat Koh Samui
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
New York City, New York
“Our Honeymoon at the W Retreat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

It has been just about two months since we have returned from our honeymoon in Thailand, and we still wish we were there! The W Retreat was our last stop on a 13 day honeymoon to Hong Kong and other cities around Thailand. Overall the stay was excellent, but there were some things we experienced as soon as we arrived that were a little dissapointing.

The welcome staff were not quite as friendly as I would have hoped. At every single other hotel we stayed at there was mention of congratulations on our marriage, an upgraded room, and other special gestures for this reason. At the Banyan Tree in Phuket, we were upgraded to their double pool villa, presented with $200 to the gift shop, free bottles of champagne, chocolate etc etc and at the W, nothing. I do think the Banyan Tree went above and beyond what most hotels would or should do, but I was hoping for at least some sort of gesture at our last stop on the honeymoon. Not a huge deal, but it did not start things off in the best light.

The pro's are as follows: The view is AMAZING from up top, food at Woobar and Namu and the breakfast table were excellent and we loved the spa. By far, our couples massage was the best here, at the top room as the sun went down. You really couldn't have picked a better setting. Also, Nick, you were very friendly and helpful as well (for example when we went Scuba diving and you knew they would be late, you told us to go back to the Kitchen table and relax with some coffee and let us know when they arrived). We also loved Fishermans Village and how close the W was with high marks on the recommendation of CoCo Toms (very fun beach bar, romantic, and delcious drinks!

Another negative was although the food at Namu was delicious, we were told they were "full" when every table was available but two. We sat at the sushi bar and nobody showed up throughout our meal. Would have certainly been a better experience to be at a table on our last night in Koh Samui, but it is what it is. My final recommendation would be to heat the pool. It was too cold to enjoy and it would have been really nice to relax in a warm pool watching the sunset. Just a tip I think could go a long way.

Overall, we had a great stay, but a few minor things would have made it that much better. Thank you again for your hospitality and for ending our honeymoon on the right note!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mara m
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello mara m,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor regarding your recent special stay with us. And of course, congatulations on your recent wedding!

I am disappointed that it appears as though our usual series of small treats which we have in store for guests celebrating such a special occasion seems to have not materialised this time? I am wondering whether we had your special occasion noted in our system? I will certianly do my best to investigate this and I am certianly sorry that we missed adding that extra sparkle to your stay with us.

As for Namu, it has always been a little challenge to balance the demand for the intimate dining space we have there. Unfortunately sometimes it is simply a fact that some guest fail to show for their reservations so it is even more apparent when we have so few tables. I am happy to announce however that with the new arrival of "SK", our new Namu head chef, we will soon be expanding services at Namu and expanding the dining options which will hopefully assist to cater to more and more guests wishing to take advantage of this exceptional dining experience.

I am delighted that the remainder of your stay created some wonderful impressions and that you managed to find some other great places to experience and explore. Actually I have to admit I managed to treat myself to some locally made coconut icecream at CocoTam only last night, five minutes down the road at Fisherman's Village...nothing quite like relaxing on beanbags watching the night skies while enjoying ice cream!

Thanks again for sharing such lovely feedback and rest assured that it would be our pleasure to welcome you back and show a perfect experience next time...maybe allow us to impress for your first anniversary?! I hope to hear from you.

Warmest wishes and congratulations again,
nicholas.downing@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

This review is a tad late but here it goes...

My sister and I were on holiday in Thailand and we were blown away by the W Retreat Koh Samui and the incredible service and kindness provided by Nick and his staff who went above and beyond to make this a trip memory of a lifetime.

Mahalo!

Scott and Deb

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a large family or group, splurge for the Extreme Wow Suite which is not on...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank surfski808
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Hello Surfski808 (aka Scott & Deb!)

Thanks for your "extreme" comments here. Needless to say that despite a little time passing since you stayed with us, we remember you both very well. It was a awesome pleasure to welcome you both and I am thrilled to know we made such a positive impression.

It would be wonderful to welcome you both back, so rest assured, I definitely look forward to hearing from you again. Shall I reserve the Extreme Wow Ocean Haven now?

All th very best and warmest wishes
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel is the best hotel that I have ever visited so far! A really cool view that makes us "wow!" when we stepped in with a warm welcome by Nick and Robert.

On top of that, all staffs here are really nice and friendly which made my girlfriend and I felt like home :)

Hotel room with trendy and nice decoration,illy coffee machine with unlimited capsules is a plus. I also like the sweet spots a lot, it's fill up with complimentary bottle waters, ice cream and soft drinks. Private pool is clean with decent size, coming with a really nice view of the gulf of koh samui

Breakfast was great, you can basically get whatever you want for breakfast from the table. If there's anything that you want out of the table, just ask and the staffs will try their best to make it happens.

The kitchen table serves really good quality food with reasonable price. There are Thai food and international food available on their menu. And again, if there's anything that you want is out of the menu, just ask the staff there and they will make that for you!

The highlight of our trip is that we did a cooking class with Robert (the Director of Culinary & Service) at the kitchen table. He showed us a lot of techniques on how to make great burger patties. Both my girlfriend and I had tons of fun in that session! Big hug to you, Robert!

I'm writing this on my way back to Hong Kong and we are missing everything and every staffs in W Retreat Koh Samui already.. Robert, Nick, Sai (sorry I'm not sure if I'm spelling your name correctly..), everyone in the kitchen table and also the buggy drivers! Take care, I'm sure that we will be back soon :)

Joseph and Reina

Room Tip: room on a higher level can have a better sea view in my opinion.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Joseph N
Hello Joseph N,

Thank you for such a WOW review of your recent stay with us. I am thrilled you both had such a great time here.

As you know, we were very much looking forward to you both arriving. We really enjoy having fun with guests who are open to new and exciting experiences. I was delighted to know that we were able to satisfy your burger cravings in a very unique way. Although I am sure that Robert would have still loved to organise the burger eating competition also...maybe next time!

I am sorry that I missed you on your departure as I was traveling myself to support ELLE Fashion Week as part of W Hotels committment to what's new/next in fashion. However I do hope that we have the chance to welcome you both back in the future.

Thanks again for being so much fun and rest assured we look forward to staying in touch.

Warmest wishes from us all.
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Nick Downing - "Starwood Superstar" provides world-class service with tip top dream team. Nick, General Manager at the W Hotel leads an incredible team at the W Hotel in Koh Samui. The relentless focus on going 'above and beyond' to surpass expectations is nothing short of outstanding. I stayed at the W Hotel for 3 nights with my hip 'parents' and the entire team couldn't do enough to attend to every need. Some of the highlights and sweet spots included:

- Wonderful service throughout all parts of the hotel - stitched into the entire fabric of the place
- Moments to go above and beyond 'seized at every opportunity'. A great example was the morning breakfast tea, where my father had taken an interest in the brand. Within several hours the team had given two boxes of tea and placed in the room from the local supermarket.
- On the friday night arrival, fireworks at the resort which were stunning and a real surprise - priceless moment from the villa
- Sweet Spots around the property - for icecream/drinks etc
- First class gym which one has to ones self, excellent appointed and well prepared
- The beautiful and ever so lovely 'SEA' from Food & Beverage who attends to every need and request. Exceptionally personable, a lovely touch of class and style. An asset to the team.
- Robert the chef who has a good rapport with guests and attempts to go above and beyond where possible. Come back to Beijing!
- The boys down at SIP, can't do more for you, really outstanding when relaxing on the beach
- Excellent cocktails down at the beach throughout happy hour
- The nice touches in the room by night, a great surprise with an evening coffee
- Always staff willing to take you anywhere in the buggy even if its not in their direction
- great views, appointed fixtures and lobby views - very well done
- BBQ on the beach excellent
- Upon departure 6 people waved me goodbye (all for good reasons I hope!)

Overall one may say its all good to be true? However the great thing about the hotel is that they are excellent at setting the expectations and delivering on the promise. My take away is that the leadership at the hotel is very strong with a real sense of service that underpins the entire team. Thanks Nick for a wonderful stay and great to see this jewel within the Starwood crown. You must be very pleased and proud of what you have developed together with the team. Thanks for looking after us and we will certainly see you again soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are well appointed and accessible of the beach. Buggy service available for everyone. Exce...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BJ_NYLON
Hello BJ_NYLON,

First of all thank you for your review. Wow!

I have to admit I am a tad embarrassed about being singled out in such an unusual way...but thank you. As you mention, I am very proud of my amazing team, some of whom you met and mentioned. However it is only with the passion and support of everyone, both those "on stage" out front and those at the "heart" of the retreat, that we can truly deliver an experience such as the one you experienced recently.

I am always excited and delighted to hear when we manage to connect on such a level and I can only hope that we could do this for each and every one of our guests in the future.

Thanks for highlighting the areas you have done in your review. It certainly motivates us to receive such positive feedback and rest assured that we dont stand still. We are always looking at new ways to impress. For example, it seems you timed your arrival perfectly on the first Friday of the month and experienced the sky lighting up with fireworks during our monthly MoHeeToe Madness Magnified at Woobar. This will only get bigger and better once our refurbishment of the W Lounge and Woobar is completed by the end of the year.

So we hope we can indeed welcome you back soon. Rest assured we would love to hear from you and hopefully manage to deliver an experience even beyond your last amazing time here at W Retreat Koh Samui.

Until then, you all have our warmest wishes.
Thanks again!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I got married at the W Retreat a few months ago and it was the best day of our lives. The resort is absolutely breathtaking from the lobby all the way down to the private beach. The service was excellent and the food was excellent. The villa was the best we had ever stayed in and our standards are set pretty high (we stayed in a Tropical Oasis room). It was very large and private, immaculately and very romantic (their turn down service was fantastic).
The room service was always on time and we never had to wait longer than a minute for a buggy to take us from our room to the lobby.
The Kitchen Table is a must, especially for breakfast. The health spa is also very good, we had a couples treatment which went for a couple of hours and it was very relaxing.
We were treated like royalty during our stay and the wedding day was no exception. Our guests were amazed by the level of service and attention to detail.
We only had a few issues during our stay, the morning after the wedding, staff at the Kitchen Table tried to charge us for breakfast even after our insistence and proof that it was already paid for. Eventually they discovered the error was on their part and apologised which was fine. Upon check out we experienced a similar issue again, staff at the lobby insisted that we had not yet paid for one of the 5 villas we booked out. Alot of toing and froing took place before they eventually conceded and apologised. This was a little more stressful as they were asking for a significant amount of money.
Perhaps staff need a little more training in this area, as it is quite stressful for guests to experience this and to have to provide proof that payments were made.
Apart from these small issues we had an amazing time at the W and are already planning to return for our first anniversary. An unforgettable experience for us both, thankyou to the W team for a stay we will never forget!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Hello Talrel12,

First of all, thank you for writing such a wonderful review of your recent wedding with us. It is always a special experience to welcome a wedding such as yours. While we are noticing more and more interest in couples wishing to have this special occasion at W Retreat Koh Samui, we will always continue to be fairly selective with regards to the number of weddings we accept so we can focus on delivering unique, exciting and memorable experiences for each couple. With such incredible venues around the Retreat ranging from our incredible beach to the reflection pond perched above the Gulf of Thailand, it is always fun to deliver new and unique ways of creating such special days.

I am delighted to hear that we managed to achieve such an experience for you both and that everything turned out exactly as you hoped for.

I certainly take on board your comments regarding the service issue at the end and I can only apologise for this and give you our assurance that we will always try to iron out such issues in the future.

I am delighted to see that even this "glitch" didnt overshadow the rest of your incredible experience and that you left us with overpowering positive memories.

Of course we would love to welcome you back to W Retreat Koh Smaui, whetehr it be for an anniversary or simply just for a well needed escape.

We would love to hear from you, so please reach out anytime.

Until then, from all the talent at W Retreat Koh Smaui, we wish you many years of happeniess together.

Warmest wishes
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

W retreat - where everything seems to be "hip" and "cool" - winner of the Tripadvisor "trendiest" resort, i guess that is deserving. BUT is it not at all so suitable for our family trip with young toddlers.

first impression is the view from the lobby area, breathtaking view set high up on the hill over looking the bay and Phangan island in the distance.

second impression is the long wait for the room, completely understandable as the resort's normal checkin hour is 3pm - we arrived at 9am. No problem. But its a problem when the checkin staff starts to use excuses such as "oh, the room is so big - its going to take time to clean it" - not very well trained i would say.

then it only goes down hill.. our family booked 5 tropical villas and I stayed at room 124. it is a very nice and cool bedroom - but honestly not much different than staying in any nice private pool villa.. anywhere.. the design/layout - does not really take advantage of being steps away from the beach. And that closet design that can only be open when no one is using the desk is just impractical.

The villa is very spacious, but unfortunately not very logical. Unless you are sharing with your own significant other, bewarn that there is privacy screen for the shower area.. you just can't hide from whoever is in your villa..

Food - dine at the nomu - after hearing some rave reviews from our friends. the sashimi were nice and overall food quality is quite good. But just didnt suit our taste as most of the dishes were too sweet and too "tomorrow" (the concept of the restaurant)..

back to the service - I just think perhaps the staff training here is so emphasized on trying to be "cool" that they seems to forget how to hospitable which is a shame. Even the housekeepers reply my simple questions of whether there is any water basin that i can wash the sands off my feet before entering my room (it simple really, all beach front hotel i have ever been to in my life would have this).. the answer i got it, oh there is one inside room 125 - which is not my room and which is not accessible from public walk path... an example of impractical and untrained staff..

All in all - I am sure they can improve on their service.. and don't go there with kids..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank csorakraikit
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello csorakraikit,

First of all thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

I would certainly first like to apologise for letting you down with regards to certain service issues you highlighted. I take such comments incredibly seriously and we would never prioritise style over substance. I thank you for your feedback as it is only with such feedback that we can truly improve in the future. I certainly take this as the most critical item you highlight here and understand this would be why your stay was not as exceptional as you expected.

Regarding your arrival, yes it was indeed a shame that we couldn’t get all five villas ready immediately upon your early morning arrival. While we always endeavour to allow early arrivals and later departures, I am sorry that the final villa did take longer than expected and for this we did apologise at the time and endeavoured to do our best to make up for this by providing some additional services to you during your stay.

Moving to other areas you mention, I have to admit I spend a lot of effort here on Tripadvisor to try and be as open and honest about our Retreat and our style to ensure that guests come fully understanding what to expect. There is no doubt our resort is designed more with couples in mind. I would totally agree with you that we are not the ideal destination to bring families and as I have in past replies here, I would again highlight your recommendation that there are possibly better family orientated resorts to consider here in Koh Samui.

And as you quite rightly noticed, this year we were awarded one to the top "Trendiest" resorts via Tripadvisor and of course that means our style is a little more daring and challenges some conventions including overall resort layout and indeed some of the villa interiors. So I thank you again for highlighting this important issue to readers here so that they understand we definitely provide a unique experience different to what some may expect from a typical Thai resort.

I encourage readers to reach out to me directly should they have any concern about the above and I remain available 24/7 to assist future guests who may be trying to decide whether W Retreat Koh Samui is the right experience for their Koh Samui escape.

Csorakraikit, I sincerely thank you for your feedback and I hope this reply shows our sincere approach to accepting feedback and we wish you more exceptional escapes with your family in the future.

Warm regards
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is truly heaven on earth.

Not for children ,there really isnt anything for them to do .

Every last thing is thought of and the best feature is the "whatever whenever" button on your phone !

Really,you cannot fault this hotel -idyllic !

Forget Mauritius,Maldives etc ,this is the place to be !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fangio11
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello Fangio11,

First of all, thank you for writing such a nice brief review of your recent stay with us.

It certainly gets to the point and I would totally agree that we are deisgned more with couples in mind and as such, I can confidently suggest that there are so many other wonderful options for families to consider for their Koh Samui escapes.

I am also delighted that our signature Whatever/Whenever approach to service made such a positive impression on this occasion.

I certainly do hope this wont be the last time we welcome you back to W Retreat Koh Samui and invite you to contact me directly in future if I can ever assist in any way.

Until then, thank you again.

Warmest wishes
Bo Phut Resort & Spa
#2 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,519 reviews
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!