“Fantastic...”

W Retreat Koh Samui
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
“Fantastic...”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just got back from staying at W Retreat, Koh Samui...I will make this review as brief as possible!

The GOOD (5 Stars) ~
*Service was fantastic, seriously! From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the last day drop off, we were greeted with great smiles and service. It could be something we needed in the room, they would deliver with efficiency and courtesy. The staff at "wherever" was always friendly!
*Namu restaurant and breakfast were great! Everything we ordered was delicious. For sure, you won't be disappointed!!!

The MIX ~
*Being an architect, I love the overall layout of the site, the ambience of all interiors, and the style of architecture. All seemed to coincide with the concept of "W" very well. It's hip, young and modern! However, the landscaping was lack luster. It was sparse and lack a level of "resort" or "retreat" feel. I believe if they would design the landscape in Southeast Asia in mind, they would complete the overall ambience of young and modern with absolute resort lifestyle!

The BAD (3 Stars)~
*Thai food was less to be desired. I think they were going for some sorts of fusion; unfortunately, the food was not as good as I had them in local restaurants.

Will I go back again? Or recommend it to friends? YES and YES! For sure, we will try out different villas next time, although we absolutely loved our close to beach Villa #106.

Room Tip: Villa 106 was great! Close to beach and close to Namu and the main public area!!!
Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ming T
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hello Ming T,

Thank you for your "Fantastic" review of your recent W Retreat Koh Samui experience.

I often say that it is easy to build a beautiful property. However it is the team inside that truly marks a good resort from a great one. So I am thrilled to read such positive comments about our team and how they managed to truly make such a difference to your experience here.

And yes, it is true that our design and style is different to what many expect from a Thai resort so it will always be a matter of personal taste. Having said that, it is true that due to recent restricted water supplies on the island, some of our landscape is less lush than normal. I am pleased to say however that we do have a hard working team working on the situation currently and we have certainly turned the corner with rapid improvments being made week by week.

As for the feedback on our cuisine, I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our specialty Japanese inspired restaurant, Namu as well as our incredible breakfast at The Kitchen Table. We have just welcomed our new Chef for Namu who will shortly be announced and I am sure he will asisst to raise the bar even further.

Of course, I am sorry that we appear to have missed the mark for you when it comes to our Thai cuisine. I will certainly disuss this with our team. It is true that some of our dishes do indeed push the boundaries as guests would expect from a W Retreat. However I assure you that if a guest prefers a more "local" approach to Thai cuisine, our team of talented chefs will do their best to impress...whatever/whenever!

Of course we would be thrilled to welcome you back in the future and of course we will do our best to raise our standards even higher for you next time. We will consider it our very own challenge to earn and receive a five star rating next time for sure!

I hope to hear from you and until then, thanks again!

Warm wishes
nicholas.downing@whotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Hey Nick, Robert and all of the W team,

To me, Koh Samui was just another island off the Thai coast...that was before I set foot on the W retreat. My impression changed completely! Firstly, the view at all angels featuring the blue waters of Samui is to die for. Just breathing taking with a touch of romance in the air wherever you turn. This experience is of course attributed to the Wonderful and Warm staff that served us throughout our lunch and dinner sessions. Food was mouth Watering and prepared with pride. It was just an experience I've never had before...W, I will be back to visit you again for sure...you have just set the bar so high for the other resorts!! Well done!!

Cheers
Jamie & Irene

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Hello JamieIrene,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

I am always thrilled to know when we manage to change people's perceptions of what Koh Samui is all about. It is a wonderful island full of incredible people. Perfect for that escape to recharge and rejuveniate before heading back to the "real world".

Of course, W Retreat Koh Samui aims to provide a completely different experience to other resorts on the island. With our approach to highlighting what's new and what's next in design, fashion and music, we certainly push the boundaries for couples wishing to mix their relaxation with a sense of excitement and energy. I have to admit it isn't always an easy balance to please everyone!

I am delighted you had such an amazing time. Rest assured that Rob, myself and the rest of the team at W Retreat Koh Samui is looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Until then, thank you and warmest wishes
Perth
Reviewed September 27, 2012

What more could you say by the overwhelming staff greetings on arrival from an army of staff..Always willing to be of assistance..The buggy drivers are amazing and will even fetch you bars of chocolate as we discovered to our amazement. MUST MUST go for the Ocean View Havens up on the hill..A bit pricier but wow what an amazing atmosphere up there soaking in your own private pool overlooking the ocean to Koh Phang Na.. From the multi flavoured milks for breakfast at the Kitchen Table to anything they could muster up for breakfast--it was done for you...The farewell from the restaurant supervisor was particularly poignant and stuck in my mind...I will return... Head Chef Rob made us feel welcome and gave us an inside running to the food experience at the W which is taking off with a wonderful Festival degustation menu--reviewed separately and Namu also rubbing shoulders with the outside BBQ experience being a real highlight......Rob and Sea are doing wonderful things for all the guests...WOW...
Even the spa was fantastic..The only bad point was we didnt book early enough to experience even more of the great treatments on offer.... Have to say the wonderful pool man at the main pool was mr outstanding for making amazing treats and drinks and running up and down those stairs with bountiful food orders....He was GREAT..... A smile to die for....Nothing was too much to ask for... A special thankyou to Sarah at Sip Bar for making us feel welcome and exchanging great ideas on cocktails.....down on the beach.... Theres not much else to say other than yes its not a cheap place but you DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND MORE.....always more...
I will return..You made our holiday....

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean View Havens... 242,243 and 244 the best ones....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bigcat22
Hello Bigcat22,

Thank you for such an amazing five star review of your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.

I am delighted that so many of our team make such an impact on your stay, especially when it came to our various dining venues.

I have to admit that Chef Rob and his team have done wonders recently. Whether it be our increasingly famous Saturday afternoon "Bar BQ Reloaded" happening featuring incredible home made burgers and more or our "best on island" interactive breakfast display at The Kitchen Table, the team continue to push the boundaries to offer our guests more and more choices.

And we are not standing still. More exciting concepts are on the way including a renewed focus on our specialty restaurant, Namu which will shortly be announced as well as the long-awaited relaunch of our signature Woobar experience perched above the Gulf of Thailand.

So Rob and his team certainly have their hands full. Exciting times and I certainly hope you will come back to see all the amazing developments.

Thanks again for your glowing review and as I often say, please reach out to me directly if I can help to coordinate a return visit soon.

We will be waiting to hear from you.

Warmest wishes
Kittery, Maine
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was in Thailand in July and after staying for a few nights in Bangkok and one night in Phuket, we
flew to Koh Samui for two nights at the W. I think the best way to describe the property is that is for
the young at heart travelers. I loved my one bedroom villa with close proximity to the beach. I found
there was no wait time when calling for a buggy to pick me up although I did like walking as much as I could. The outdoor refrigerators with water, juice, yogurt and ice cream placed in various areas
were a welcome treat. As this was a business trip, I really only had one free afternoon for exploration.
I did not go in to the town but 2 of the other people with me did and they also mentioned the price of the taxi from the resort was quite high. Overall , the property is very beautiful and Nick the general manager and all of the staff were so accomodating and always smiling.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello advantage_12 (an interesing story behind that name?),

Thanks so much for sharing such a positive review about your stay with us.

Even though it sounds like you were here for business rather than pleasure, I am delighted to hear that you found the Retreat to your liking. I would totally agree that we are aimed more for those who are young at heart and looking for something a little unique and different from a typical Thailand resort experience.

We endeavour to deliver an experience to remember based on W Hotels' unique approach to showcasing what's new and what's next in fashion, design and music. As such, we certainly appeal to those people who are attracted by such items and are looking to engage on a different level.

So overall, thanks again for sharing your five star review of your stay and I hope that next time you can come back to relax and recharge.

Warmest wishes
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights in a beach villa. Villas are superb - private pool, huge in space (bathrooms fantastic with indoor / outdoor showers). Love the concept of whenever, wherever. Room service - tell them what you want (off the menu) and they deliver. To escape from the world, have privacy and completely de-stress - the W koh Samui was perfect. It is not stuffy, relaxed, funky with friendly staff - the last thing i want on holiday is formality.. this is where the W concept works so well for me.... I could relax completely & feel comfortable. The property is beautiful and close enough to Chaweng and the airport. The fisherman's village (hotel has a shuttle) is great for the evenings and the restaurant the Happy Elephant a must for good food and a great vibe. We will be back!

Room Tip: there is no bad room to choose from - loved the beach villas for location and access to the beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pieter d
Hello Pieter D.

Thank you for your blissful review of your recent stay with us!

I am thrilled to see you had such a wonderful stay with us and managed to totally relax and recharge.

Needless to say, I do hope it wont be the last time we welcome you to W Retreat koh Samui. We will be waiting to hear from you!

Thanks again and warm wishes
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 20, 2012

During our 5 nights stay in W Retreat Koh Samui the past week, me and my partner did overall have a great time but there were some downfalls that let us down. Before listing the downfalls let me first share some amazing moments:

Check in was efficient, staffs were nice. We were greeted by AJ and he managed to show us around our villa and some public area. The villa we stayed was one of the tropical villas, the one we had was only steps away from the beach which we found super cool and convenient! The most extraordinary experience has got to be dining at Namu, a Japanese restaurant serving fusion dishes – we were blown away by the fresh and creative food and sake! We were seated at the chef table so literally the chefs were cooking / "performing" in front of us. We went there twice and we just couldn't have enough. The beach BBQ was another highlight – Chef Robert and his team prepared amazing food just right at the beach (sip). The Jerk Chicken and Beef pizza were delicious! Buffet breakfast was standard 5 star, make sure you ask if you want hot pancake/waffle, the view of Kitchen Table was breathtaking! Amenities were 5 star and I really like that they provided eye makeup remover cotton pads and Bliss face wash, which was a big plus - not every W does that. Beach was clean though a little bit small, but the fact it’s private would give you a sense of peace.

However, we were not completely satisfied with our stay because of the following:
1. The design of the villa is modern and sleek, every detail is right at the spot. However it was not as spacious as we thought. The placement and colors of the furniture were badly designed (not in a design point of view, but for a resort hotel in Samui point of view). It just could not give us a relaxing feeling since the room was too busy.

2. Lighting was terrible! The lighting at the private pool and deck was way too dark! (I mentioned to one of the staff and he said it’s dark because it’s tailored for lovers but as a hotel designer, I can tell the lighting is wrong) I just didn't want to spend time there every night after 6pm when it got dark. We had a in-retreat BBQ dinner next to the private pool and honestly, I barely saw the food that we put into our mouths. But to be fair, the seafood was nice and our server Tanya was a lovely decent man, who wasn't afraid to speak and was always smiling. But the whole experience could have been much better if the lighting were better.

3. The spa at W (Away Spa) was disappointing!! Our package included a 90 min body massage and both of us chose to have the Thai massage. First of all, after they greeted us with the welcome drink, they escorted us to the treatment room – which was a little bit high up and needed a bit of climbing – the staff walked like someone was chasing her from behind! I just didn't understand why she was in such a rush! The changing room was super small as if we were changing our clothes in a plane toilet…! As a hardcore spa goer, I have visited many different spas from high end to cheap local, the treatment here at Away Spa is way behind professional. It just lacked of attention to details and service. I personally was greatly “surprised” by such a poor treatment they offered. After 90 min we both didn't feel relaxed and pampered at all. Funny thing was the staff got us some water and fruit refreshment after the treatment, and they were gone without saying goodbye! We waited for around 15 min and had to look for them to make sure if we could actually go. (we thought we had to sign something) They were already back to the “staff room” chit chatting with their colleagues. HOW WEIRD!! I highly recommend Peace Tropical Spa (5 min ride from W) if you want a professional pamper and care. And probably 50% cheaper than W!

4. Upbeat music everywhere! Well yes because it is a W! I thought visiting Koh Samui is supposed to be a calm and relaxing experience, so the music and bright color at W were quite contradicting. Unless you want to feel young, hip, happening, party……. W would be awesome for you. (no offence to W, it was just us!)

5. Gift shop was another disappointment… I have visited other gift shops at other hotels this time, and honestly the goods from W were not exciting. One day I wanted to get s scarf for myself but all they had were tacky and overpriced.

6. oh speaking of overpriced, the taxis ARE CRAZILY OVERPRICED! Well actually generally taxis are expensive in Samui but the one from W are even more. One night we needed a taxi from W to Zazen Resort for dinner, they charged us 300 bhat (US$10) for this literally not even a 5 min ride! On our way back from Zazen back to W, Zazen charged us only for 200 bhat which was way more reasonable!
But W does provide free shuttle to Chaweng area a few times a day.

On a positive note, I lost my iphone on my second night during my trip down to Chaweng beach (I was so sure I left it on the taxi we took from Chaweng to the Cliff restaurant… when I found out I lost my phone, I went back to the taxi stand and even the police station and so many more dramas…) Anyway at the end the staff at W was so nervous about it and they helped me call the taxi driver (who claimed the next passenger took it) and finally and very luckily I got my phone back.

So, overall, will I recommend this hotel to my friends and family? Definitely, if they are looking for something fun to stay. But personally I probably wouldn't go back simply because I think staying at somewhere RELAXING is the goal of visiting Koh Samui. After W we changed to another hotel (SALA Samui) where was a relatively smaller boutique hotel, which we were glad that we changed because it offered a much more relaxing environment and caring service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EVILO
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Hello Evilo,

First of all, thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I realise we have already addressed many comments with you directly. However I thought I would share my reponse with everyone here also for their reference also.

Overall I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us, even if it wasnt quite what you were expecting from a visit to Koh Samui.

While most people who choose to stay with us do indeed love the design of the villas and comment to me so often, I can understand the strong approach to the design is not to everyone’s taste. Similarly the overall style and approach to the Samui experience is also not for everyone’s taste. Of course we attempt to ensure that everyone understands this prior to their stay. I truly believe that Samui has so many different resort experiences, there is truly something for everyone. Whether it be those seeking quiet and seclusion or whether it be those looking for something a little more active and energetic. I have to say we continue to walk a fine line between those seeking both and we do our best to deliver. I am sorry however that on this occasion we seem not to have delivered the quiet, peaceful Samui experience you were looking for.

More importantly I would like to address the comments you made regarding service, both in general in terms of English level and also with regards to the service experience you encountered in the spa. While there is indeed not too much we can do with regards to the overall design of the retreat itself (although I will raise the deck lighting issue with the designers), I will certainly address your service comments with the team and do our best to ensure we continue to strive to improve for the future. Again, please accept my apologies for any issue that you encountered there.

Regarding The Store, I have to admit that we are currently between suppliers. Our last supplier left us with only one week notice and we have done the best we can to cover the situation until we organise an exciting new direction with The Store. I am sure that in future visits you will find a more exciting range of items to tempt you including our recently announced association with exciting young Thai fashion designer Milin who will be producing an exclusive range of fashion items for W Retreats!

And with regards to the price of transport, I suppose I have addressed this often in my replies to Tripadvisor reviews in the past. There is no doubt that Samui is an expensive place when it comes to transport options. The “Meter” red/yellow taxis do not run on meter and will always ask to set a fare at the beginning of a journey. Yes, it’s correct that even the shortest trip in one of these public taxis is likely to set you back THB200-300 regardsless of the distance. Compared to places like Bangkok and Phuket, it is very expensive.

It is true that our inhouse car service is more expensive proportionately. We have appointed an external company with a fleet of cars to be on standby at W Retreat Koh Samui with private drivers who are on call 24/7. We implemented this due to our location which is admittedly off the main road and for the service of our guests. However admittedly this service does have a price and it is approximately 20% more expensive than the public taxi service. Of course we will always endeavour to assist to call public taxis to the Retreat. However there is usually a significant delay in these arriving so most guests do elect to use our service. While not an excuse, I wanted to share this feedback for your consideration and explanation. We actually make very minimal commission off any transport and consider this a service to our guests. As you also noted, we do also run a complimentary shuttle to Chaweng and Fishermans Village daily to also try to assist our guests.

On more positive notes, thank you for your wonderful comments about other areas of the Retreat. Robert and his team of chefs are doing an amazing job of raising the culinary bar at the Retreat and he continues to push for new ideas and innovations to keep our guests excited by the range of options at the Retreat, including our ever increasingly popular Saturday afternoon BBQ. I am delighted to hear that you also loved Namu. We have a new Chef about to join the team at Namu that should certainly be a “game changer” when it comes to cuisine on Koh Samui so I hope you will indeed come back to visit Namu, even if electing to have a more peaceful vacation elsewhere on the island.

Evilo, again, I really wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your comments both directly and indirectly and I hope you don’t mind me sending my comments in response. Of course I sincerely hope that we can indeed welcome you back one day. Until then, I remain available 24/7 if I can help further in any way.

Warm wishes
Mumbai
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We went to Koh Samui during the end of July for our Honeymoon for a stay of 7 days. After a lot of research on the place (which includes lot of feeds from trip advisor) we settled on the W hotel. Having read really great reviews, we were hoping it would atleast live up to our expectation...and it totally did!!!
As we reached the hotel, we were greeted by Nick (the manager at the hotel) who was really nice and friendly. And as a lovely gesture by the resort (on knowing we were honeymoon couple), we got a villa upgrade...! On entering this lovely beach front villa, we found some flowers, chocolates and champagne waiting for us! Over the stay, the hotel staff kept surprising us with a new thing waiting in our villa every day; either a box of popcorn or a spin the bottle game or chocolate chip cookies! It was always very exciting to enter the villa after coming back from sightseeing.
The villas are very chic and tastefully designed with the night lights setting particularly add to the charm. The villa pool is a good sized one to swim and not just bath around. In the beach front villa, the pool side area leads to the beach which is almost like a private one to the resort making it probably the cleanest and most peaceful one in Koh Samui whereby one can sit and enjoy the most beautiful sunset ever! What floored me the most though was the view from the hotel lobby....breathtaking view of the deep blue ocean!
The Kitchen cafe restaurant below the lobby offered a really good spread in breakfast buffet and we made sure we never missed it; even if it required us to sprint from our villa! Also the concept of sweet spots was a lovely touch with ice creams and sodas stacked up in a refrigerator at few places around the villas. Otherwise we found the food at the restaurants Namu and The kitchen to be quite ordinary and can be given a miss.
The resort is quite close to the most popular beach in Koh Samui, Chaweng and we spent most of our time there. Koh samui in itself is not a very big island and can be covered in a few hours. We had hired a car from the resort for the day and drove around the entire island. Also a must do is the snorkelling tour to Ang thong marine national park.
I would specially like to appreciate the courteous and friendly hotel staff (Nick, Supriya, Tom and everybody else). From day one they made sure our holiday is nothing but perfect...from tips on getting around the island to setting up a special romantic dinner by the pool; they are always there for you! Koh samui is a beautiful place in itself and W just added to the charm...having said that I would definitely want to return to koh samui and stay in no other hotel but W!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms close to the sea
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esha912
WRetreat, General Manager at W Retreat Koh Samui, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Hello Esha912,

A huge thank you for your glowing review of your recent stay with us.

It certainly seems like we connected with you both in such a wonderful way and I am delighted we managed to deliver according to your expectations based on all your research.

As a Retreat primarily designed for couples, we definitely pride ourselves in trying to make special occasions such as honeymoons and anniversaries an extraordinary time to remember.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our signature breakfast...did you try our new range of milks too?! Sorry to hear you didnt find our other dining quite as exceptional. However rest assured that Robert and his team are working on creating equally amazing dining experiences not only in our Restaurants but also in areas such as our Saturday afternoon Beach BBQs which feature the most amazing burgers on the island. So amazing in fact that we are about to launch an exciting new initiative...a unique sail thru concept for boats wanting to pick up burgers straight from the beach! A world first perhaps?! ;-)

Also happy that you found our location convenient to Chaweng and other action around Koh Samui. I may be biased, but I believe our location is unique...private enough to feel you can escape everything, but only a short drive away from everything that Koh Samui has to offer.

So thank you again for your amazing review.

Of course I certainly hope we will welcome you back again soon...first anniversary?! Or maybe sooner.

Until then, warmest wishes
#19 of 186 in Bophut
Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Vana Belle, A Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to W Retreat Koh Samui? Share your experiences!