W Koh Samui
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Belmond Napasai(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$312
Baan Fah Resort Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$42
$32
Agoda.com
Samui Buri Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$125
$90
Agoda.com
Kirikayan Luxury Pool Villas & Spa(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$87
$74
Paradise Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$101
Coco Palm Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$24
$20
Agoda.com
Florist Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$32
$23
Code(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$109
$84
Trip.com
Santiburi Koh Samui(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$395
$383
Escape Beach Resort(Mae Nam)(Great Value!)
$27
$24
1,205 results
All reviewswoo barjapanese restaurantw retreatsweet spottropical oasissip barkitchen tableprivate poolocean view escapew insiderkoh samuioutdoor showerfree ice creamocean frontbuggy servicef bour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Once you step in the hotel, you see the well known landmark from all their photos, the floating infinite bar. It's a breathtaking view.

Service was excellent, each guest is greeted by a hotel manager and served a welcome drink at check in. Than you are personally directed to your room with a golf cart.

The rooms were very spacious with a bath tub, indoor shower, and an outdoor shower. Private pool in each guest room. It was very hard to leave the resort or even the guest room!!!

The resort has a few "Sweet Spots" which are areas with free drinks and ice cream!! It was our heaven on very hot days.

We went to The Kitchen Table for dinner, I ordered the whole fish with chili sauce. It was amazying! It was too much food for me, it would be best to share that dish.

They have DVDs to rent, maximum two per day. However, one of the ones we rented was scratched and didn't work at all. The other one kept skipping. It was a nice added bonus by the hotel but wish they had checked the discs first.

Service was excellent, facilities were in top shape. I recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Hello Nche,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of our Retreat with readers here.

It seems you really had a wonderful time and enjoyed all our little hidden gems such as our Sweetspots full of icecreams and drinks. Agree that they can be a lifesaver on these warm balmy days!

You also found one of my favourite Thai dishes in The Kitchen Table....the whole fish with chilli and coconut dressing is most definitely a personal favourite. Though I have to admit that I have been known to finish one totally by myself as it is hard to stop once started.

And sorry to hear about the DVD situation. I hadn't received this comment previously, so we have recently completed an audit and I am sure that we will have a larger and better quality selection next time you return to the Retreat.

Thanks again for your comments and hope we will be welcoming you back in the future!

Warm wishes

Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 6- night honeymoon stay and needless to say we were impressed. The resort is absolutely breathtaking and the individual villas are spacious and tastefully decorated. Right from the start, Nick, the general manager, introduced himself and made it clear that we could count on him for anything. The breakfast buffet was incredible and everyone should dine at Namu for at least one night.

Pool offers a great view of the sea and the beach is very comfortable. The resort is a little sleepy, but that is what you expect on an island resort. If you want beach parties and loud bars, try cha weng or a Sandals in Mexico.

I could go on forever about the resort, but you should just see it to believe it. The staff are great and go out of their way to assist guests. Venture off the resort a night or two and try dining at Orgasmic or Barracuda Restaurant. Both were well-priced and the food was excellent.

W made our honeymoon even more special. I can't thank Nick and the other great members of W team enough.

1  Thank universltraveler

Hello Universltraveler,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us.
Needless to say, it is always nice for our team of talent to hear when we make such a positive impression.

As I think I have mentioned recently, we are in process of energising the Retreat more with different ideas including our Mo Hee Toe Madness Magnified events at Woobar complete with fire dancers and fireworks as well as our new Beach Party Reloaded happenings down at Sip beach bar every Saturday afternoon. The beach party in particular has added a new dimension to our offerings with a japanese influenced BBQ combined with cool tunes by our resident DJ. However we are not standing still with this...more in the pipeline for sure. Although it is often a challenge to tempt guests out of their private pool villas!

I am delighted you also found a couple of the excellent dining opportunities close-by. I continue to get positive feedback about independent restaurants such as Baracudda and Orgasmic, in addition to the excellent array of casual restaurants and bars five minutes away at Fisherman's Village. Always something happening there too!

So thank you again for your kind comments. Rest assured we would love to hear from you in the future to welcome you back for a future anniversary perhaps?!

Until then, warm wishes and we wish you a wonderful new married life together.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

From the moment we arrived at W retreat Samui we were whisked into another world. Being greeted by the general manager Nick and operations director Jean you know that these guys are passionate about making your holiday a memorable one. Whilst the paperwork for check in was happening behind the scenes Jean took us on a tour of the hotel and OMG it's stunning.  The floating W in the infinity pond at reception is beautiful with circular sunken seats that form part of the Woo Bar that are just amazing.

We were lucky to have a villa on the hillside with spectacular views of the bay and resort that were just breathtaking.

The villas are stunning, As you walk in bathroom on the right hand side with outdoor shower massive indoor rain shower and normal shower head. Vanity with two sinks a huge egg shape bath and gorgeous Bliss amenities.  The bathroom has two sliding doors so you can step down straight into the pool .....awesome.

The main bedroom has a huge king bed which is soooo comfortable and great pillows (if the right pillow isn't there, just dial 0 and it will be shortly after).  The wardrobe is hidden behind a door that slides back over the desk area.  A great use of space.  There is a comfy lounge and beanbag and great tv and sound system with iPod docking station.  This room comes alive at night with great twilight setting that sets the room with red lighting . I LOVED IT.  SO W.

The pool is a great size with infinity edge to the ocean with two sun lounges and a big day bed.

We didn't want to leave the room it was so beautiful and user friendly.

Each night we had sunset drinks at Woo Bar in the sunken lounges.. Make sure you work through the cocktail list. The Mee Heee Toes are sensational especially Beritos - very spicy !!!  The view was fantastic - until we found Sip bar on the beach which had the most incredible sunset view. If only we found it earlier.  Again, great drinks.

Make sure you you visit Namu great Japanese and let the chef choose you a special menu. Food was outstanding especially the chocolate pudding.

Visit the Away Spa.  Awesome treatments in stunning rooms.

We have been to Samui 7 times staying at another 5star resort 6 of those times and never thought we would move.  However we love the W brand and are now in love with W retreat Samui

Thanks Nick, Jean and the team at W retreat for an amazing holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2012

Hello Nannamac,

Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent experience at W Retreat Koh Samui.
Needless to say we are always excited to welcome regular Koh Samui guests to our Retreat and I am particularly excited to see your reaction was so positive. It was a true pleasure to welcome you both.
Yes, as you pointed out, while Woobar at our stunning entrance is often the place to see and be seen for evening MoHeeToes while DJ Tuck creates cool sounds, SIP Beach Bar is our hidden sunset secret. However that may change now we have launched Sunset One for One Wowtinis between 16:30 and 18:30 every evening! And from looking at your pictures, it was a very special sunset indeed during your stay.
I am delighted to see you loved our modern contemporary styled villas with all the details that make us stand out from the other resorts on the island.
I hope it wont be too long before we see you back on Koh Samui...we will have the molten chocolate waiting for you at Namu. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Thank you again guys!
Warmest wishes

Reviewed March 13, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the "W"
This is a beautiful hotel with stunning views across to other islands.
We stayed in a Tropical oasis room which was huge, the bed as always was a dream to sleep on and the pillow menu is great when you do not like sleeping on feather.
The outside pool is a great size, you can do laps though if you are tall this might be a struggle, but as a play/plunge its fantastic to sit in when the sun gets a little to hot.
The W is a high end hotel and is not cheap, but this is not any usual hotel either.
Staff are very attentive (even if our housekeeper did lock the door to the room on us while we were sat in the garden enjoying the sun, and i had to make my way thru the side of the room and trees to ask her to reopen) ;) Accidents happen!
We ate at "The kitchen table" our first night and this was nice, i opted to have Thai food, though the menu does not have many thai dishes it does state that they can do all the thai favourites (my only problem with this is what happens if you do not know what the "favourites" are) I had the pomelo salad with beef short rib which in my opinion was only ok, not sure it worked and it should have a some heat which it did not, I then asked for Chicken Green Curry (not on the menu) and whilst it looked rather thin and not so appetizing, it was in fact delicious and full of flavour.
Our second night we opted to dine at the signature Japanese restaurant on the beach, we requested an outside table but were informed that there was none available, when we arrived we noticed that the outside dining area is nearly non existent! We entered the restaurant and was really surprised to only find 7 tables inside? This is beautiful and cozy but strange to be a signature restaurant that is so small.
Our server was excellent and was always close by when something was needed.
We ordered an array of dishes as we wanted to try so many!
My husband had the sashimi which he said was fantastic we then had the prawn gyozas, these were a beautiful flavour though the skin was slightly thick (this is only a tiny critisism)
We ordered the Udon Noodles but asked to have this with Thai Lobster rather than Maine Lobster as in my mind local seafood should be used whenever possible and ut usually tastes much better, this was in my mind the BEST dish of the night (followed closely by the gyoza) It was a little spicy but the flavours in this dish were just delectable.
We ordered lamb tenderloin and asked for it medium though it was well done but the flavour was good so we forgave this! we then ordered a Pork belly dish (which in my mind was really unpleasant) it was served covered in a sauce of shredded pork with scallops, i do not think this worked but again this is my taste! we ordered the lobster and duck salad which was really tasty but the duck was slightly dry but the taste was there and to end it we ordered the pineapple friend rice with Froies Gra (but decided to ask for his dish without the duck liver as i think this is just not right!!!! hahaha)
My only negative would be if you have a restaurant which is right on the beach! then open the inside restaurant up so we feel like we are at the beach and have more outside tables!!!
I would certainly return to the W as i think it is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful island

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2012

Hello Kris71,

It was a pleasure to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
As you say, we are quite a different resort from the other options on Koh Samui and that is what makes us appeal to certain guests visiting Koh Samui.
You certainly seemed to try many of our favourite dishes during your stay. I am sorry that you didn't find some of them to your liking. I suppose some of the dishes are indeed down to personal taste. However of course my favourite dish at the Retreat, Udon Noodles with lobster and spicy sauce is a favourite with everyone who tries it at Namu!
Yes, Namu is small....and purposely so. This is to ensure we can maintain both the service level and the food quality as one of the leading dining venues of the island. If we were to double the size of the venue, then it would lose some of the magic that is indeed Namu. Also, while I understand your comment about Namu being air conditioned on the beach, it is again exactly the reason why Namu is so popular, as there are very few signature dining options on Koh Samui which combine the beauty of the beachside location with the cool air conditioning that is so appreciated by many of our guests during the warmer months. And as you noted, we do indeed have some outdoor dining table for those that really do wish to enjoy the fresh warm outdoor air instead.
I certainly hope you will return in the future and try some more of our Asia Tomorrow menu at Namu and rest assured I would be delighted to hear from you directly to coordinate such a visit.

Until then, warm wishes

Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed at the W Koh Samui for 6 nights for our honeymoon. Believe me nothing prepares you for the W Koh Samui. The moment you arrive at the lobby, the view just blows you away! We stayed at the Jungle Oasis room (#212) - it was just perfect - a decent view + pool. Judi and Lak were there to receive us and showed us around the property before taking us to our room.

SERVICE
Heaven is in the details! Every evening we would have some kind of package containing food items waiting for us - energy bars, chocolates to name a few.

Even the doormat at the lobby gets changed depending on the time of the day - the morning doormat has "Good Morning" written on it and so on.

The free ice cream and soft drinks from the sweet spots were a superb touch! Could'nt get enough of those Magnum bars :P

The golf buggy that picks you up from your room to bring you wherever you "WISH" is amazing - extremely prompt and super quick!

The room was absolutely amazing! Very modern yet warm. Even though the pool area is quite large - it still manages to give you the needed privacy.

You can hire 2 movies for FREE everyday - however, we never ended up watching them as the DVDs were scratched and not maintained.

Since the property is away from the "happening" Chaweng beach - the W has a shuttle service that operates thrice a day and is very convenient and FREE (taxis are a rip off - 400-500 THB for a single trip to Chaweng). However, my suggestion is to check out the Fisherman's Village which is alot closer and more romantic. We regretted not having checked out Fisherman's Village earlier - we bumped into it on the last day!

FOOD
Being a vegetarian I have to admit I did not have the greatest gastronomic experience. There are very limited vegetarian dishes and the food left a lot to be desired.

The breakfast was really good - again very limited vegetarian options.

My wife is not vegetarian - she too felt that there is alot of scope as far as food at the W Koh Samui goes.

BEACH
The beach is a great place to relax - the sand is a lot better than most of the beaches in other parts of Koh Samui. They have really nice seating and hammock arrangements and very helpful staff - special thanks to Mr.'O'.

SPA
The Away spa is a great place to relax. We took the vanilla + chamomile bath & their well travelled massage - the best we've had so far!

PRICES
To be honest the prices are not 5 star prices and do not make you bleed!

Take the Jungle Oasis rooms they are worth the money. Go for Tropical Oasis rooms only if you are a beach bug!

Judi, Noon, Lak, Tom and many others in the staff were very helpful.

Tipping is a must!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JKP2612
WRetreat, General Manager at W Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2012

Hello JKP2612,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent honeymoon at W Retreat Koh Samui.

Regarding the cuisine options available, we are definitely noticing more and more vegetarians coming to our Retreat, so rest assured on your next visit, we should definitely impress more on this area. However, did you find Tonic in our Away Spa with wonderful array of raw cuisine and vegetarian options? Sometimes this hidden gem is overlooked by our guests and we must do a better job of showing this unique venue to our guests when they stay with us.

It does seem that you enjoyed every other area of our wonderful Retreat and I am delighted that you had such a memorable time. Shame you were not with us today when we launched our new Beach Party Reloaded, complete with what's new and what's next of amazing water sports. I am not sure it was as "relaxing" as you found it recently, but it seems all our guests had a great time!

And thank you for highlighting some of our team. I am very lucky to have talent such as Judi, Noon, Luck and Tom with us and it is only through their caring and professional service that we can achieve the level of recognition we wish as a leading resort in Asia. Rest assured I appreciate you highlighting these stars.

I do hope this wasn't the last time we have the opportunity to welcome you to our Retreat and I hope you will reach out to me in the future so I can organise a return visit with equally positive memories...a first year anniversary perhaps?!

Until then, warm wishes