“arrogant staff, dirty rooms & pool”

Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel
Ranked #29 of 30 Hotels in Mae Nam
Reviewed September 20, 2013

After a very long journey we arrived at the tropical garden lounge. As we wanted to check in, we were told that we had to wait a little. After 1 hour we asked if there was at least a shower we could use. The employee snappy told us we could use the pool. After looking at the pool we decided, that we are cleaner now ( after a 24 h journey) than we would be after using the pool. So we keep on waiting- unfortunately we had paid already, otherwise we would have left immediatly. After 2 hour a women who had sat close to the reception got up to clean our room. For two hour she had been to busy playing with her cell phone and drinking coffee as to service her customers. Eventually we could enter our smelly room with the dirty sheet and the condom wraps on the floor.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ulli r
Claudio S, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review. We are really sorry what happened but can ensure you that this is not our standard.
It is true that we have no shower available other than those in the rooms and a check in is only possible after 2pm usually. Most of guests coming from Europe and arriving early morning. As previous guests have not checked out yet, we are also unable to grant an early check-in as there are most possible no rooms available. If rooms are available we normally grant early check-ins from 11am.
Our pool is serviced and cleaned on a daily basis. Also the water quality is checked daily. I can only assume that due to the recent windy weather leafs and stuff flew into the pool.
Our rooms are cleaned daily as well, so if there is something not in working order or dirty please immediately contact our front desk or use our mobile app while checked-in and our housekeeping or maintenance team will serve you immediately and solve the problem.

Since your stay we have already done a number of service improvements to our staff and facilities which will soon show effect.
If you have any questions prior to booking regarding check-in, service or other information, just send us an email to info@tropicalgardenlounge.com and I am happy to help you. You can also book with the lowest available rate guarantee on our official webpage tropicalgardenlounge.com.

Kind regards and thank you

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

It's pretty quiet around the resort in September, so it feels kind of lonely. You have to go to other places to have fun. The bungalows are of better quality. Breakfast is basic. Staff is vey helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank cosmincatalin
Claudio S, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review. Its generally quiet island wide in September and October, yes that's true. There are many restaurants and bars just out in front of the hotel and a maximum of 5 minutes walking from us.
We offer a lot of different day and half day tours as well and motorbike and car rental too. So there are lots of choices which can be chosen from.
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com and don't forget that we offer the lowest available rate guarantee if you book direct with us.

Kind regards and safe travel

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have just come back from a three week stay in the Tropical Garden Lounge. The rooms were great for the price, reasonably priced mini bar, clean beds, cool refreshing air con, fan, telly (that had programmes you actually wanted to watch), and an interactive system to organise the level of service you required. Internet in the rooms was good, only not working occasionally, and was of decent speed. The breakfast menu was varied and was fine fare. We did not eat there for dinner, as we liked to go out for dinner, but we were assured by other guests that dinner was up to the same standard. We spent several nights with various members of staff, both at the TGL bar and out in town, and had a very good time on all occasions. The beach, a lovely one called Maenam, is a short walk away. It is far better than Chaweng which is crowded and looks, despite what the guide books say, almost exactly the same as Maenam beach. Go down the road 5 mins to go to Food Corner which does the best Panang curry I have ever had. All in all very good, best of luck to all that work there.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Boris R

Dear Boris R
Thank you for your stay with us a while ago and also for your very good review here on TripAdvisor.
I remember our nights out, they were really fun.
Thank you also for your tips to fellow travelers about Maenam beach and the restaurants around.
In the meantime we have closed our restaurant (we just serve breakfast and dinner) so i can concentrate more on our guests and do some activities with them like night tours, motorbike safari's and other fun stuff. There are many restaurants around with serve a diversity of Thai and International food.

Our official website gives all information about our activities, location and rooms tropicalgardenlounge.com. And if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to contact me by email to info@tropicalgardenlounge.com

Once again thank you for your stay and we all hope to see you soon again

tropical greetings from Samui

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Have to say that the staff is amazing, very nice and helpful. Also the food is really good. They also have scooters for rent, which is really convenient. The problem we had first was the cleanliness of the bathroom, but Claudio change and upgraded us in same second, so really positive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spanc2001

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review. It was great to have had you as a guest. I remember the problem with the previous bungalow but i hope I could give you with the upgrade and the change a better solution.
If I can be of any help please let me know at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com.

Once again thank you for your stay and hope to welcome you again at some other time.

kind regards

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have been travelling around Thailand for the last 3 weeks, staying in many different hotels costing the same price as this place and we were shocked at how rude the staff were (mainly the manager), how grotty our bungalow was (Mould up the walls/ stains over the linen etc...) and the general condition of the resort.
The air conditioning in the room did not work properly and therefore the room was so hot, we were only able to stay one night rather than the 3 nights we had booked. (We informed a member of staff about the air con machine who came to the bungalow and showed us how to turn it on... We already knew how to do this... He didn't understand it wasn't working properly).
Another reason why we only stayed one night was the the security of the bungalows. The front door to the bungalow locks however, the door to the bathroom (outdoor, dirty, mouldy sink and toilet) was able to be opened from the outside therefore, somebody could have easily jumped over the wall and entered the bungalow. We therefore had to carry our belongings with us to the beach etc to ensure they were safe.
We were in our bungalow until 6pm the second day and the room was never cleaned.
The atmosphere of the whole place was the worst we have come across in Thailand and I would very strongly recommend people stay elsewhere.
Do not be fooled by the clever website/ Facebook page etc... It does not show the hotel as it really is.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Claudio S, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your review.
We are very sorry about your bad experience with us and can ensure you that this is not our standard. We have already installed locks now to secure the bathroom doors from the inside. All our rooms are fitted with in room safes for your belongings to be secured.

We have a new automatic system in place which gives our guests the flexibility of managing their stay with us by themselves. Via your smartphone and our app you request room cleaning, change of laundry, report defective appliances and much more. You can even order your taxi, airport transfer and tickets for ferries and tours via our app.
This gives our guests the flexibility they want and we can work efficiently to keep the prices at a low level and care for our nature as well by not using more cleaning chemicals as necessary. Of course our guests have the right to have their room cleaned every day.

Once again we can ensure that this is not our standard and we are happy to prove it, just get in touch with me info@tropicalgardenlounge.com.

Have a safe trip

kind regards

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel itself is tucked away a little off the back road, near the W resort. The restaurant area is very accomodating and it seems many travelers spent a lot of time in this area, though we didn't spend much time there.

Our bungalow had A/C and it was very comfortable. It had chairs, a table, a TV, 2 double beds a stocked minibar, a tupperware box of items you might need (a condom, mosquito spray and the like) and a nightstand. The bathroom is located OUTSIDE of the bungalow so you have to do your business and take a shower in the open air, though it is covered and theoretically noone can see in (doubtful anyone would want to). The beds were comforable and all in all it was a comfortable one night stay.

If you get WIFI, be warned that EVERY time you connect to the internet you have to put in the username and password which can get frustrating to do this 20 times over a night and always have to keep your receipt with the information with you if you need it.

We went to the pool area at night and after I got in, I realized the enormous amount of dead bugs that were in the pool. I can only suppose that they turn the filters off at night and for that reason it became a bug cemetary. If not, I would check the pool area and make sure you don't dive into a pool filled with dead bugs.

I have mixed reviews of the staff. Olay was an amazing team member, in fact, he helped us out on a few occasions, from helping us call the ferry service to reserve our pickup time the next morning to answering questions. He was the only one I saw moving around continuously, busting his bum trying to help and accomodate everyone and I think he was an incredible person and staff member.

The next morning when we went to breakfast I can only assume someone went into our bungalow and checked our minibar to know what we consumed the night before. When we checked out the items were already on the bill and that creeped me out and put me off. Instead of asking what you consumed or checking while you are checking out, it meant some staff member must have gone into the bungalow while our belonging were still inside and I didn't appreciate that.

During breakfast it took a long time for other people (a group of American backpacker girls) to talk to the kitchen staff and I'm pretty sure that more than one group staying at the hotel left not being entirely pleased with their stay.

The other thing that put me off was the owner, Claudio's attitude upon checking out. When I thought mistakenly that I had already paid for the airport transfer online his response was "No, you didn't, you have to pay", not showing me the receipt which I had to pull up online on my mobile phone and ONCE AGAIN put in the username and password. He was right in the end, but his response wasn't helpful nor courteous.

Reading his responses on TripAdvisor which only seem to say "Book online, best rates" leads me to believe that he doesn't read or take into consideration the reviews of the hotel. As he's turned the property around, these reviews will continue to help him make his hotel a good one and keep the customers happy and coming back. I hope he begins to write thoughtful responses.

I liked the resort and Olay, but didn't like the pool nor the attitude of the owner. Weighing PROs over CONs, I'm not sure I'll be back again. I'll probably look for another place next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This was the first place I stayed in samui. I was greeted by tiger at the airport for my air conditioned transfer, he was very polite and welcoming. When I arrived at tropical garden lounge, toi, the receptionist greeted me with a cool glass of juice (much needed) and escorted me to my cute little bungalow, the accommodation here is excellent, very clean and tidy, a small fridge included (comes in handy) I highly recommend the cocktails and relaxing by the pool. As I was a solo traveller I would like to extend a big thank you to all of the staff at tropical garden as they made me feel so welcome, especially you olay!!! :) I got the chance to meet the owner, awesome guy and his friend lisa (thanks for your delicious cocktails lisa x) a big thanks to the chef, excellent food. All in all a fantastic stay and highly recommended. So close to fishermans village (Friday night markets) and pier to other islands.
Elaine

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Laney78
Claudio S, Owner at Tropical Garden Lounge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Laney78
Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I have forwarded your compliments to my staff, Lisa and Olay which were very happy to hear from you.
Remember that we offer the lowest available rate guarantee among other free services for all bookings on our official webpage tropicalgardenlounge.com.
And if I can be of any help anytime, feel free to email me at info@tropicalgardenlounge.com.

We all hoping to see you again soon on Samui!

Best regards