“Laid back luxury”

Corinthia Palace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Anton
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful hotel, great facilities, attentive staff. Old world charm with all the modern facilities. My second stay here, will be back very soon. Have stayed in wonderful hotels worldwide as aircrew, and with my husband John and our family. This hotel is up there with the best.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AMH222013
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your second stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel on Trip Advisor.

We are indeed pleased to note that you were once again satisfied with our facilities and services and look forward to welcoming you back.

Drop me a line with your dates when you have them in hand. My email is: david.woodward@corinthia.com

David Woodward

Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

My Wife and I had a week at the Corinthia Palace and had a fantastic break totally chilled and relaxed.
We found the staff were totally friendly and always talking to you with a smile on their faces which was so refreshing.
The hotel itself was just well sheer class, some have said it's dated and tired we did not see any of this in any of the areas we saw.
We had room 318 and upgraded to a suite 302 both these rooms were very nice.
Front of house staff were always ready to help and get info for you, Martin was always with a smile and ready to help, sorry I don't recall any other staff names but to be honest they all need to be praised.
would highly recomend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tim w
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

We have read your review on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa and thank you most sincerely for your kind comments.

My team and I are indeed delighted to know that you enjoyed your visit and that we helped to make your stay with us a pleasant one.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and do send me an email on david.woodward@corinthia.com should you require any assistance.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Since retiring from full-time journalism with the Sunday Mirror in London a year ago I have spent much of my newly-acquired free time travelling far and wide with my wife, Gill. We have enjoyed the delights of some excellent hotels and the intrigue of exploring so many new locations.
But our first-ever trip to Malta simply exceeded every expectation. This vibrant, sun-soaked island is a veritable treasure trove of history and a fascinating cocktail of contrasting cultures. Why it took us so long to discover its many charms, I simply do not know.
But what I can say now with absolute certainty is that anyone looking for the perfect base to explore
Malta's rich heritage should look no further than the luxurious splendour of the Corinthia Palace Hotel.
During my sports-writing career I was a regular visitor to five-star hotels, but I can honestly say the Corinthia is right up there with the very best I have stayed in.
What makes the Corinthia an absolute stand-out experience is not simply the superb facilities, its truly relaxing ambience, a high-class spa or an endless array of fine food and drink.
It is the human factor that gives the Corinthia its stellar quality. The warmth and professionalism of the Corinthia's highly-motivated, well-organised staff provided an impressive level of service that was immediately noticeable.
It is very rare these days to encounter such a smiling, welcoming, attentive group of people who clearly care not just for the well-being of the guests but quite demonstrably for the reputation of the hotel as well.
Within an incredibly short space of time it seemed that every member of staff was addressing us by name and their willingness to do anything to help improve our holiday experience made a memorable impression.
From the moment we were collected at the airport by a car organised by the hotel and later greeted by super-efficient concierge Anthony in the Corinthia's imposing foyer, we were treated like VIPs. Some famous London hotels could learn a lot from how this slick Maltese operation is managed.
The favourable impression continued with an upgrade to room 336 that afforded us a spectacular balcony view over the well-manicured front gardens. My wife was particularly delighted with the elegant trappings of a well-appointed room and a spacious, well-equipped bathroom. I am reliably informed the “smellies” passed muster.
As a a journalist I am also duty bound to point out that Corinthia's communications are top class. Wi-fi worked a treat, phones did their job and Shirley, the Revenue Manager, answered all my queries almost by return of email, while Anna on reception was outstanding.
On our first night we ate in the Rickshaw restaurant and as avid fans of oriental cuisine enjoyed a first-class meal at what we thought was a reasonable price for a five-star property. Breakfast provided a huge and inviting choice and service in the mornings was efficient and friendly especially from the always-cheerful Maria.
The pool area is attractively designed and provided a relaxing afternoon oasis for a gin and tonic and a peek at the holiday novel after some busy days visiting churches, monuments and museums.
We regularly used the hotel's courtesy bus service- expertly manned by Kevin- to go into the must-see Capital of Valletta. The local bus from a stop just around the corner is perfect for visiting the magnificent “silent city” of Medina- only 15 minutes away. Rabat another five minute's away is also packed full of history.
But if you simply fancy a relaxing walk from the hotel then the beautiful San Anton gardens next to the President's Palace are only five minutes away. The Villa Bologna is a working estate nearby also boasting lovely landscaped gardens.
The Corinthia is set in a pleasant, residential area which is fairly quiet at night but there are a couple of good restaurants within walking distance as well as a few bars. Our favourite was the Fra Giuseppe wine bar nestling alongside Hal Balzan church. Go and see Stefan there for exquisite vino, Maltese nibbles and an invigorating atmosphere.
But when the hotel service and social scene is as exceptional as we experienced, we were happy spending a fair amount of our time in the Corinthia. It really was that welcoming.
Our only disappointment was that our fabulous week had, like all good things, to come to an end. But within weeks I was already planning our return to Malta and the Corinthia.
A hotel like the Corinthia is just too exceptional to visit only once.

Room Tip: Room 336 gave a lovely view of the landscaped front gardens and the balcony was excellent for early...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BrianMcNally

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel for your recent stay in Maltese Islands and for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

It is a particularly warming experience to receive comments such as yours, and gratifying to know that you were pleased with our efforts to provide superior service as well as exceptional food.

I have placed a copy of your kind comments on our notice board for all to read as I find that it is always a good boost for all team members, including those who work behind the scenes.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future. Should you be returning to our hotel, please email me on david.woodward@corinthia.com

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Corynthia Palace Malta
My first stay in Malta and my first stay in this hotel choosen on a french website.
Staff welcomes you very warmly and is always present to answer your expectations.
Nevertheless, This hotel "breaths" the old palace of the begin of the century and the rooms should be absolutely refurbished as well as the hotel generally.
Our room on the first floor was quite small with twin beds, had a view partially on a roof (not very beautiful) covered by AC systems....and the very small bathroom didn't allow us to stay together...
Door to the terrace (simple frame) didn't close correctly and let air coming in, sometimes (often) with mosquitos...
On site, pool (not heated - temperature round 23°C) and only one very formal restaurant as well as one bar but without any ambiance!
Nice breakfast but always in the same room without any possibility to eat outside!
Great spa with inside heated pool (30°C) and fitness room fully equiped (very pleasant at the end of the day)
The hotel is located in a peaceful surroundings but a little far from la Valette or Sliema. (shuttle provided by the hotel following schedule and upon reservation)
Bus stop not far from the entrance which is the most convenient way to travel in Malta. (Bus 51, 52, 53 go to Valetta and a ticket costs about 1,5€ for a whole day)
Just beside the hotel, don't miss the botanical gardens, beautiful in this season and free of entrance.
With honesty, not a bad stay but I won't return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oliveerpent

Dear Guest,

We have reviewed your personal comments and do hope you might return. In doing so contact me directly on david.woodward@corinthia.com

Reviewed June 8, 2014

To everyone at Corinthia, thank you so much for the amazing past week my family and I shared with you at your hotel. Everything was perfect during our stay and I am eagerly awaiting to book again for next year. I would like to especially thank Martin, Matthew and the lady with curly hair and glasses on front desk (sorry, I did not catch her name!!) as they have been especially helpful when it came to advise of what to see and what to do. Corinthia offers a courtesy car to a number of places on the Island which we took advantage off, very helpful. Your staff are all incredibly courteous, polite and helpful in each and every single way, from kitchen staff to house keeping.

Breakfast was delicious and had a multitude of food available, from cooked breakfast to fresh fruit and the beds were so comfy!

The only suggestion I can make is the view from Room 137 which I stayed in (overlooking the green balcony)… perhaps make that balcony into a garden so the view is a little better of future guests? Other than that, I have no complaints.

Again, I can wholeheartedly say this is a fantastic place to stay and adds to the magic of staying in such a wonderful Island. 100% recommended by me :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank marajjanak

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments which we have received through Trip Advisor following your stay at the Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa.

We are so happy to note that you found the atmosphere, hotel facilities, shuttle bus and the service given by all members of our team so impressive and helpful. Your special ‘thank you’ was passed on personally to Martin, Matthew and Antonella.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a recent business trip, hotel was booked by my company. Would I stay here again on business? - Yes.

I had a room near reception which was fine, nice room, clean, very quiet, everything worked including the internet. Wifi was fine.

Beds/lined, room decor was great. Clean, comfortable.

Mini-bar was expensive - 3Euros for a small bottle of water, but then it is a top hotel. But a couple of bottles of complimentary water would have been standard and nice.

Staff were courteous, including a maintenance man when there was one very minor problem with my bathroom, which was fixed within minutes.

Breakfast was fine, big spread. Nothing memorable.

I didn't have time to use any hotel facilities, so can't comment.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank J H
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your experience at the Corinthia Palace Hotel on Trip Advisor.

We are indeed pleased to note that you were satisfied with our facilities and services even though you were with us on a short business trip. We look forward to welcoming you back be it business or leisure visit.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Just back from 6 nights at the Corinthia Palace. Choose hotel,as wanted to go somewhere special to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday along with our 16 year old daughter. I looked at bigger hotels in busier areas but felt the Corinthia Palace was a bit different . If you want something special in Malta this is it. The overwhelming impression we got was of a hotel where staff actually care about their customers, who enjoy their jobs and who care about the hotel and it's reputation - from the manager who was always on hand, right throughout to the hotel porters. One example of this was, during a very busy service in the "happy hour" how staff of all levels mucked in together to make sure everyone was served in a timely manner - all done with good humour ( even when dealing with the most demanding of guests!)
We had a suite, which was very comfortable with huge separate lounge and balcony.
The hotel has all the facilities you would expect from a 5 star hotel, serves great food, is reasonably priced ( for 5 star) and is a great base from which to explore the islands. I booked directly with hotel on their website which worked out cheaper than hotel comparison sites (it's worth checking on hotel offers)receiving excellent communication from the moment I booked ( including from the manager who arranged a lovely,unexpected surprise on our arrival)
We had the most relaxing and enjoyable few days and were v sad to leave.

Room Tip: Suite 323 was huge and v comfortable with double sized terrace
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank sjt25
David W, General Manager at Corinthia Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Corinthia Palace Hotel for your recent stay celebrating your wife’s 50th Birthday and for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

It is a particularly warming experience to receive comments such as yours, and gratifying to know that you were pleased with our efforts to provide superior service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Anton
The Xara Palace Relais & Chateaux
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!