“Could be so nice!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Xemxija
North Walsham, United Kingdom
“Could be so nice!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having read the previous reviews, we thought that reading between the lines that it was basic, but that is would be comfortable. After all, we only wanted somewhere basic to stay, with reasonable facilities and food, nothing sumptuous.

We got a lot less than even we expected.

As already said, the rooms are basic, lacking only pictures on the wall to make them more homely. The beds were a good size and as comfortable as many hotels provide. Pity the sheets were not the right size for them!!

We arrived the day before Anthea26, (who is either in another dimension, or works for the hotel!), gave her review at 3.30am due to a delayed flight. The young guy at the reception, whilst friendly, was a little less than helpful. We asked if it was possible to get some bottles of water and he directed us to the machine downstairs.......then told us there was no water in it as it had sold out. We found our way down the VERY dark spiral staircase to said machine only to find out that most other bottles had also sold out. Put money in and selected an orange, got nothing. Tried to reject and get our money, got nothing. Went back back to the young guy at reception to explain, got nothing. Sorry, got a shrug. Nothing to do with him and, no, he did not have the keys to the bar.

Found our way to the room in an elevator that only worked that morning and was out of order for the remainder of our stay. The TV stand had no TV on it, the 'stocked mini bar' advertised was also not in evidence. When we quizzed the staff the following day, we were told that they had several broken TV's and would put us on the list for one. Obviously what this meant was bringing one from another room when those guests checked out.

The big shocks then came to the eating experience! The simple breakfast is, well, VERY simple. The cheese and cold cuts actually consists of one tray of cheese slices in plastic, (the type put onto burgers), and one tray of salami, or chopped ham. The juices were fine, the coffee was really quite good. Bread was available with two toasters. The hot food, well hot is a bit incorrect really, warm food was small sausages, herb tomatoes, and a tray of something indescribeable usually containing eggs, though once this was mash with sausage and bacon, much of which stuck to the serving spoon left out to the mercy of the passing flies. Cereals were always coco pops and own brand cornflakes. Jams were either strawberry jelly or marmalade. These ran out on Sunday and were still not present the day after we left, (so we discovered by text from some friends we made whilst there).

Dinner then came as a real disappointment. We booked a table as requested, but were told that we could not sit inside the restaurant and were directed to the plastic section. We were then verbally given the two options for starters and main courses. As the pasta with fish was one option, I checked that it did not contain clams as they make me violently sick. I was told no. (you guessed it, at 3am I was violently sick!!). The main courses were fish and belly pork. The fish was so small and thin it was overcooked, the belly pork had bones in, so was actually ribs but, again, overcooked and tough. These were accompanied by a few cold fries and a sludge we determined was roast pepper and aubergine, (not quite sure when it had previously been roasted though). We asked if we could have one of the items on the special board and were told, 'No you are half board'. Thats ok, we'll pay for it. 'No, you are half board!', she insisted.

By this time, a la carte customers had started arriving. These people were positively fawned over. Suddenly, the fan that was blowing some cool air at our table stopped. It was unplugged by a waitress and given to one of these arriving diners. Not even an apology or warning to us.

At the end of the meal, we made our way the, very shabby, bar to discover that a private party was going on in the pool, guests were ordered to stay away. After waiting some time for a member of staff, we found a waitress and tried to order some drinks only to be told, 'we're too busy, you'll have to wait til later'.

We never had dinner at the restaurant or used the bar again.

The pool area is shabby and could be dangerous. They have used cheap matting which was stuck down at one time, but is now peeling off casing possible trip hazards in addition to not looking good.

On the Saturday, a rainstorm caused complete havoc in the dining area. It is only tented on three sections, and has parasols on the remainder. These all leak.

Breakfast involved a walk from the building, through a shower followed by a search for a table that was not wet. The buffet now laid the other side of a rather wonderful waterfall. Water was dripping down onto the counter, (including onto the toasters!)

That day we managed to track down the manager, Josef, (who it has to be said is a manager, not part of a family run team). He tried to explain many of the points to us. Well, he waffled quite a bit, even to the point of telling us that his wife had stayed at The Regency in London and they served a simple breakfast no better than the one here!!

In summary, the main problem here is that the hotel is in a prime location, but it is not being taken advantage of. There is a lot of penny pinching, I would not mind paying more for better treatment. If their service was better, they would more than make up in tips. I for one tip for good service, but I did not leave anything this trip.

Whilst I understand the staff work long hours, it does not excuse them from providing shoddy customer service. Shunning paying guests in favour of casual visitors I found appaling.

If they list facilities, they should have them, (no mini bar, no WIFI, no TV etc.)

Room Tip: Book somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I've read many of the reviews about The Ambassador prior to my return visit to Malta and afterwards. I think you have to take into context what you are booking. This is a humble three star family run hotel. My reasons for excellent are so much for the courteous and hardworking staff - these people work 12 hour days if not more, for a mere 4 Euros per hour and still manage to have a smile from beginning to end, remaining courteous.

My room was cleaned everyday by a delightful maid staff Giuseppe and Josephine (from the UK). The reception staff are there 24 hours. During the day the delightful Stefanie (who is helpfully bilingual in a number of European languages) and Lara were extremely helpful not to mention our fantastic host and manager, Joseph.

I was a single traveller for 15 days and there were one or two hiccups such as a vent making too much noise, my holiday company booking me in an inland room rather than the sea view I had booked. I was asked to come forward with anything and talk to the staff/manager, which I did and it was resolved immediately. I urge any travellers to bring thieir concerns to the staff and I can assure you the hotel will do their upmost to sort it out.

The towels are changed as you need them too, everyday if you wish - just place them on the floor daily, bed sheets changed every three days (everything white and clean) and the matresses are in great condition and looking new. Pillows firm and puffed out.The room twin bed sea view, air conditioned, dressing table mirror, wardrobes and side tables. A nice side/front balacony view with panoramic views and two balacony chairs. The TV (bear in mind that Malta had across the island in the first instance Italian TV alone, hosts French, German, Italian and the BBC World News channels) but who really wants to watch TV when on holiday!

There is WiFi at the hotel and you can use the hotel's computer at a cost.My SMART phone was able to pick up WiFi at my cost to my Vodaphone internet provider.

The building is a older with the lift a little creaky. Some guest forget it is small and can chatter in the hallways at night but this is only when they return from nights out or when checking out early hours and is not prolonged.

I believe the restaurant will be making some alterations to the bar and the eating area soon so look forward to the refurb!

The Chef restaurant is under different management but works well with the hotel. At a fraction of cost provides a basic breakfast and three course evening meal. Some meals are better than others but you can always enjoy food from the delicoius A La Carte menu. The atmposphere is warm and cosy, lovely and polite, smartly dressed staff who will meet your needs.

There is a fly problem in general in Malta so in the mornings at breakfast you can get a little tiresome of this whilst eating but overall it's nothing too bad. I'd go early as it doesn't seem too bad then and sit near a fan.

Remember you are in a three star, family run. If you are looking for luxary and posh then go somewhere else! This hotel caters for quality care, they are humble with pride and look to suit your needs indvidually. If you are not happy with something then just say and Joseph and his team will do their best to get it sorted as will The Chef Martin Camilleri and his team.

Really as a single traveller I was well looked after and felt safe in my surroundings. I didn't expect posh but found a lovely warm and clean atmposphere with people doing their very best to make my time a good experience - you can see past the older fittings as the service will over flow you with generosity and care.

I felt at ease in the hotel pool - always clean (the pool gets treated once a month), I enjoyed sitting poolside and when members of the public used the hotel pool and restaurant (never over run with people).

The Ambassador has recently been painted grey and white and looks nice and clean. It is amidst a family community and during the summer months local families surge to the harbour and spend their days swimming and hosting the day cooking thier own food. Xemxija is set in a local area, it is easy to get about only 12 Euros for a 7 day bus pass which will take you anywhere on the island, (2.60 day pass). The bus system is British (Arriva buses). The bus routes are good and can take you to the main Sliema (ferries) and Valletta so it is very easy to get about.

You are also a bus ride away from the ferry at Cirkewwa which goes to Gozo or trips to the Blue Lagoon at Comino, so Xemxjia is pretty key to being in a "quiet fishing village" not too far from main towns. I also enjoyed horse riding at Golden Bay. Just ask the reception about trips - there is so much to do including the hop on hop off buses - the hotel can arrange pick ups to and from the hotel. Evening entertainment out side the hotel is good with village fireworks close by and the Malta Extravaganza (a bit like the UK medievil nights). There is so much to see and do in the islands Malta, Gozo and Comino that a place which is clean and friendly to stay is much appreciated.

Just remember that it is local, a family community in a quiet area - if you want something more lively and plush then go to the towns of Sliema or St Julians. This place isn't as bad as some reviews have made out. It was a humbling experience for me! If you want a kettle and cup in your room it is 3 Euro per night and additonal costs for safes and to eat in your room. During the summer lots of international divers come here for the local diving school and that is not too bad, they are normal just like ordinary visitors. Get in touch with the Maltese life and the people and you could really enjoy your stay here!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quieter on the third and fourth floors - there is a side and front view of the sea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Anthea26
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Arrived at the hotel and first part was this does not look like the photos viewed!! had to wait till 3 to get into our room was being cleaned!! got to our room and yes very basic, no facilities that states in web when booking i.e. kettle, tv with proper channels, wi-fi. Sea view brilliant 2 chairs but no table on balcony, even the sheets didnt fit the bed!!
Breakfast outside not allowed to eat inside restraunt flies everywhere yeuk. cleanliness thats a laugh, met the rep and told her of our thoughts of hotel saying not what was described on web when booked, reply was what expect this is Malta and is 3 star seen better 2 stars.
Thankfully found the buses and spent most of the time going on these for sight seeing etc, the beach great and sea lovely.
Decided to spend Sunday at pool and was asked to leave as booked all loungers to locals the reply is not nice to say on here and asked to leave, and had paid to stay in this crap.
Reported to rep next day who spoke to manager who denied this happened and the receptionist had previously stated she tells all new guests when arrive news flash didnt tell us.
I have to mention the cleaner I dont know if he was the only one as it seemed to be him at all times, pleasant and found my necklace and hung it up for me, changed towels everyday though not spotless I feel he tried his best.
I would not recommend this to stay its a shame as I enjoyed Malta but the hotel NO, NO NO and it takes a lot for me to complain

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dodalilawson

Travelers are raving about these Xemxija hotels

Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel was shabby , dirty , needed a good lick of fresh paint inside. The ( tea room ) was dark , dingy , dismal could not imagine having tea and cakes in there . The main bar area which you were not aloud to sit in was off limits except to staff .The makeshift bar near the pool was dirty and unkempt coffee was spilt on tablecloth it did not get changed for 3days. There was a spillage on staircase and up the wall it got washed off stairs after 2 days but not off the wall ,it was still there on our last day. Tea/coffee facilities were not in room as stated , 4 days later we found the hotel would let you hire a kettle for 4euros a day which we thought was rather extreme . The pool and dining area was often let out to local residents who seemed to have more rights than the residents of the hotel who had paid good money to stay there.

Room Tip: dont choose a good room ,choose a better hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bookworm501
Paisley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Booked this hotel via telephone through a travel agent and my family and I were appalled by the very low standards, even though it is classed as a budget hotel. It was dark and dingy downstairs in the dining area. The curtains did not look clean, the windows of the doors were crying out to be washed and there was food particles all over the carpeted floors. There was a swarming of flies on all levels,(I am aware on sunny days, that flies can swarm to windows etc) but no decimation of any pesky airborne population had ever been considered here. The triple room had 2 single beds and a Z bed with no possible gap between. Our view from the room, was definately not a sea view, but one which conjured up a sigh of extreme sadness. We attempted lunch,but gave up due to the low standards of cleanliness. Fortunately, we were able to depart and relocate to another hotel several miles away, else we would have been flying back home in distress. On a positive note, the staff and Manager were very understanding and friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Marion186570
Essex. UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Recently stayed ten days in this Hotel. On arriving extremely very tired long day with travelling, was dissappointed on first view, but deciced to wait until saw room. Well it was clean..ish, very very basic but had everything you want. Lovely view of harbour, but if you at back of hotel, poor you. If you are looking for a cheaper accomodation, this is for you. The hotel as stated is basic, and we had half board, so each morning had breakfast with flies, assuming this because of the very hot weather, as for evening meals were good and no flies. But was extremely dissappointed with the Bacardi, which i do enjoy, BUT, this was not Bacardi rather a cheap white rum put into a Bacardi Bottle was not fooled.YUK. So instead of spending more money on drinks before and after dinner they missed out. Swimming Pool was good size, but at weekend, they decide to let in out siders to use the pool, for a fee. Which could be a pain as they allocated the best beds for the visitors, so what were we................................Would suggest you get a car, no probs driving and even though bus service good couldn't beat having own transport. Staff very nice. Would we go back NO!!!!!

Room Tip: Seaview Room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alison L
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel almost ruined my holiday. I became really tiresome and angry about the place by the end of the week. Thankfully the bus service was great so getting out of the place was no problem. Bugibba and Melieha Bay only a 10-15 minute bus ride away. Inexpensive too. 2.60 for day ticket.

Firstly, on arrival we were left waiting an age as they could not find our booking. They somehow only had my reservation under my first and middle name. We eventually got in our room, after trying the second lift. The light bulb was gone in the first one.

The rooms were basic, which is what you usually expect with a budget hotel. However, I've stayed in cheaper budget hotels and private rooms in hostels which had more facilities. I could have sworn I read somewhere that there were tea/coffee facilities but nope! I wasn't even aware that you could hire a kettle!

The staff were not one bit helpful. Every query seemed to be an ordeal for them. We were awoken by cleaning staff one of the mornings (he himself was probably the friendliest staff member there!!!). We asked him to come back in a little while. We left the hotel for the day. On our return we discovered he had not returned. We had no toilet roll left. I went down to reception and was told that they had none and he would not be able to get us some til the morning. Fat lot of good that was gonna do. Simply not good enough.

We, sadly went half board. The food was not great at all. I chose not to eat there the last night cos I got so sick of the place. Sorry I didn't do it sooner tbh. One of the nights I ordered sea bass. My favourite piece of sea food. Sea bass it was not. It tasted exactly the same as the fish I had the night before which was whiting. anyone who knows there sea food knows that these two pieces of fish should not taste the same!! God knows what either actually was. Maybe I was being paranoid but I felt like a second class citizen being a half boarder. Not a nice vibe from the place at all. Always made sure I had a decent lunch elsewhere cos never knew what foodstuff you were going back to. Totally defeated the purpose of going half-board.

I developed a chest infection, which I'm blaming the air conditioning in the room for. No way to control it. Too hot without and blood freezing with it.

Expensive for some things too. Bottle of water at the bar was 1.50. 50 cent in the lovely shop down the way! That shop was great. Same people own the BeachHaven across the way. Lovely food and cocktails there.

Would not recommend this hotel but would certainly recommend Malta as a holiday destination. Just stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank NickyMc84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Xemxija
San Pawl Hotel
#12 of 12 in Mellieha
Gillieru Harbour Hotel
Gillieru Harbour Hotel
#7 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Ambassador Hotel? Share your experiences!