“surprised”
Review of Hedley House

Hedley House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Smith's Cove
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This may have been a four star twenty years ago.The rooms look more like a very old cottage.Spider webs on the wably muskoka chairs on the deck.the shower is tiny .The curtains looked more from the 50's.A butter knife was used to keep window opened.People were very friendly,but this place should be $80 to $90 max and for sure not rated 4 stars

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hedleyhouseinnkeeper, Manager at Hedley House, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. Yes this property is old but it is a part of history, I like to call it rustic. We are constantly doing upkeep and try our best to make the place comfortable. Spider's do tend to make webs over night but we do check the decks daily, when we clean the rooms. The windows are old and they sometimes need a butter knife or whatever you can find to keep them open, I like to call that character. Most people come here because we have a fantastic view and beautiful grounds, our beds are comfortable, and the rooms clean, I have never before heard a comment about the Adirondack chairs, but I will make sure that if any of them are wobbly I will remove them.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great home atmosphere, clean, fun and staff were amazing. Our Ferry came in quite late and they arranged for us to get our rooms without any hassle. Wish we could have spent more time. Strongly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our four day stay here was one of our best ever vacation accommodation experiences. Although the Inn is rustic and is not the Ritz, the accommodations were clean and adequate. The deck outside the room with the view of the changing tides in the bay of Fundy was absolutely awesome. The beach was great for exploring at any time of day. And, breakfast, included in the fee, was a joy! Joanne, " the Hostess with the Mostess" greeted us all as family, and no request was too small. She kept us entertained with her own composition and those of others, either on the piano or guitar. From the smile that greeted us on upon check-in, to the hug we enjoyed at departure, our stay was a joy and memorable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We arrived late at night and JoAnn welcomed me with a warm smile and christened me as
" Charlotte" for the rest of my stay. I did not mind it one bit.:) She showed me to our room. The next day was Canada Day.

It was warm and muggy on the night of June 30 2013. Our daughter had mosquito bites during the day earlier and it was hard to for her to sleep in the warm rustic room with the fan that did not provide much breeze. There was also no air conditioning in the room we stayed in. The hardwood floors looked dirty and the double beds that were provided in our room felt smaller than the ones we have slept in at Hyatt and other hotels. My husband and I did not sleep well. The color of the towels in our room was dark and I always question cleanliness, if towels and duvet covers are dark in motels or B and B's, if appropriate cleaning has been done. The next morning after taking quick showers in the tight bathroom space we had made up our minds to forego breakfast and head on to Digby for whale watching.

So next morning I met Joann to settle my bill. I did not have the courage to tell her about what I did not like with the towels, duvet color or the bed, since she told me about losing her son who was only 20 years old. This is where everything about our stay changed.

Joann listened to my story about the mosquito bites and that we did not sleep well and insisted that we come for breakfast since we had paid for it. Our daughter was all smiles, after she sang at least four songs in a voice so melodious and so beautiful that I had tears in my eyes. She had composed one of the songs herself for five young fisherman who lost their lives at the ocean. Joann made cheese sandwiches for us to go since we could have been on the boat for a long time if we went whale watching. Joann, you mended our hearts and your authentic caring truly touched us! Bad weather and rain cancelled whale watching for most boat tours on July 1 in Digby but the muffin I had saved from my breakfast and the sandwiches Joann had made for us sure reinstated my faith in goodness of human beings when we stopped for a picnic later in the day.
"Charlotte" has one request for the owners:
Please switch to white towels and a lighter color for the duvet covers. Maybe better fans for breeze on muggy and hot nights. I do not know how you want to remedy the hardwood floors.

This has been the hardest review for me to write, for I had to be honest about some things that did not agree with our stay, yet the hospitality and friendliness of Joann made up for the things that the room lacked. No hard feelings here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Hedleyhouseinnkeeper, Manager at Hedley House, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you were here at Hedley House on one of the
muggiest days of the year. I guess we never think that it will ever get so hot here in Nova Scotia, however times are changing. We are currently installing air conditioner's in a few of our rooms, but usually don't have a need for it as the wind blows through the rooms off the ocean on most days. Our motel was built in the 1950's and it very unique and charming, we are constantly doing maintenance on the floors but they are old and rustic. We sweep and wash them daily. The dark towels that we have are large and plush and just more economical for a small 14 unit motel , white towels are simply just too expensive to maintain, our towels are washed daily just like white towels and they are soft and most guests love them.

Thanks for the kind comments you made about me, I love all of our guests and do my upmost to make them feel comfortable. Hedley House may not be like the Hyatt, but it has a charm that is beyond measure and is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places in the world.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights during our Nova Scotia tour. I have visited a lot of hotels and only the minority of them I review. But this motel is something really different. I cannot compare it with any other hotel, motel or B&B I ever visited. The accomodation itself is like a classic motel: a small veranda with your own frontdoor at the garden/car park. A large room (and normal size bathroom) with bed, sofa, dining area and some kitchen facilities (fridge, microwave, coffee machine, dinner set and cutlery). But most important of all: your own spacious private deck with a wonderful view over Digby Bay. However, be aware of mosquitos in the evening!
The motel has its own private beach and a lovely, big garden wich is well maintained. The location is defenitely 5*. If you want to relax, this is the place.
The innkeeper is Joanna LeBlanc, an imposing, friendly women. She runs the motel and her family at the same time, together with her husband. If you stay more than one night, you nearly become some kind of family member. Therefore the motel feels like a B&B. Also because breakfast is served in the main building where the LeBlanc family lives. Don't forget to taste the fresh and home made muffins at breakfast.
However, there are 2 comments regarding the motel, so they get an overall rate of 4* instead of 5*. (1) there is no wifi in the room. You have to go to the main building for wifi. Nowadays a good wifi signal in your room is necessary for a 5* review. (2) the rooms are ia bit dated, such as ventilation in the bathroom doesn't function 100%, the bathroom door jams a bit. Nothing to worry about but therefore no 5* review.
Hedley House says on its website that their rates are reasonable and their service impeccable. That is definitely true. Next time we visit the region, without a doubt we stay at Hedley House again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christoforus
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Old, tired and run down in the best way to describe Hedley House. After all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, we were a bit surprised at how poorly this accommodation measured up, especially in comparison with the other lovely Nova Scotia accommodations we had the pleasure to stay in during our week here.

The one redeeming quality of Hedley House is Joanne, the manager, who was extremely warm and welcoming and did her best to make us feel comfortable, including sharing her love of music with us. The location on the Bay of Fundy, including the beautiful sunsets, is also noteworthy.

The accommodation itself, however, seems like it has seen better days. The floors are wood and appear dirty. The mattresses are lumpy, with little support, the bedding (more specifically, the duvet cover) does not lend itself well to best hygiene practices as it is a dark colour and therefore, can neither be bleached nor washed in hot water to kill germs. The electric baseboards in the room we stayed in made a constant humming noise that varied in intensity from bearable to annoying, the bathroom is pretty tiny too but functional. There was also no air conditioning in the room we stayed in and unfortunately, the door to the deck lacked a screen that would have allowed for a cross breeze.

I usually rely pretty heavily on other travellers' accommodation reviews to help make our family's travel experiences as positive as they can be but in this case, we found the extremely positive TripAdvisor reviews/rating just did not align with the reality of Hedley House.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MascoG_06
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had two nights great hosts .!! Rooms very clean with sitting area , cooking and frig. Shower a little tight but heaps pressure .
Would stay again ( but we are from Australia and not likely to pass is way again .)

• Stayed: June 2013
2 mi away
Dockside Suites
Dockside Suites
#1 of 8 in Digby

Been to Hedley House? Share your experiences!