We thoroughly enjoyed our 4-night stay at Chant au Vent in June. It sits steps away from the lagoon and it was lovely to hear the faint sound of waves at night. The staff were very friendly and breakfast consisting of warm bread and home-made jam was something to look forward to. As we just spent a week hiking all over Reunion Island this was a right place to relax and soak up the sun before returning home.
It's location, however, is not ideal for long stays as there isnt much to do around. The nearest supermarket is about an hour walk away, not entirely unpleasant if strolling along the beautiful beach. But eventually the beach becomes blocked by a private residence and one must continue to walk along the road. Busses are inconsistent but cheap and almost serve as an attraction on their own- old Tatas rattling and beeping on through the town, stopping frequently at imaginary bus stops - surprisingly fun!
As we wanted to go further on our own, we asked the staff if we could rent bicycles and were promised they will be ready when we arrived, only to find out later that it couldn't be arranged. So after snorkeling in the lagoon from a glass boat (a must!) we ran out of entertainment options and rented a car for a day, which the staff helped to arrange, and drove to the other side of the island.
Bottom line, if you only have a day or two in Mauritius, this is the place to stay as its close to the airport and the views will take your breath away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a breathtaking lagoon, Chantauvent is a charming guesthouse situated in Pointe d'Esny, near Mahebourg, on the South East coast of Mauritius. Mahebourg is a colorful and lively town, steeped in Mauritian history. Fisherman and shopkeepers ply the streets, adding to the rich and dynamic atmosphere of this coastal treasure.Dark volcanic rock makes for a stark contrast to the bright white coral sand on the long and open beaches of Pointe d'Esny. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Chantauvent Guesthouse - Maison d'Hotes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chantauvent Guesthouse - Maison d`Hotes Hotel Pointe d`Esny
- Chantauvent Guesthouse - Maison D'Hotes Mauritius/Pointe D'Esny