“great holiday”
Review of Hotel Meryem Ana

Hotel Meryem Ana
Ranked #63 of 79 Hotels in Didim
Reviewed September 3, 2008

just got back from meryem ana hotel loved the holiday great if you enjoy lazing by the pool. only the pool to entertain young children ,my four year old daughter did not want to come home she loved boris , steven and stacey the hotel is basic the food is lovely if not a little expensive eg 8ytl for a tuna sandwich. maids did refold dirty towels 4 u to use again the maids didnt finish cleaning rooms untill 4-5 oclock a little inconvienient when you want to get ready to go out at that time but it did not spoil my holiday would consider going again ,the staff where lovely ,boris and stacey are very helpful and steven is the most entertaining especially with the young girls. take plenty of money for food and if you don't mind basic accomodation you will enjoy the holiday as much as i did. beware if your on the top floor the elevator does not always work and you do get power cuts sometimes which is normal in turkey.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank singlemumyorkshire

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Before you spend your hard earned money, you should read ALL this. We rated the Meryem Ana as Terrible because of the poor hygiene and neglected maintenance. We never saw the hotel management....... EVER, the staff seem to run the place. It is fair to say that the staff work long hours and were mostly excellent.

I used Trip adviser to select this hotel as so many people gave great reviews, although very disappointed, I can understand why many people enjoyed their stay maybe the lower floors are much better, and on the surface it really does looks fine... we did looked at a lot of other hotels whist we were in Didim, and some of them where definately worst.... that said the Esra Apartments. (viewable from the Meryem Ana,) had 3 swimming pools, slides, with very clean with much better furnished self catering apartments (very basic cooking equip) at £20 per night (not pool side) with Air Con included. The Esra Apartments would have been a much nicer place for people that like to stay around the hotel. They could only book us in directly for 2 days at a time (Tour company rules...) As our rep “could not move us” this was plan “B” however, at three times the size I would expect it to be nosier..... Still there are much better hotels than the Meryem Ana for the same or not a lot more money.... I guess some people are easier to please, and why would the owners invest more when people don't complain..... we ended up just sleeping at the Hotel, the less we used it, the less the staff bother with us, which was fine, Boris was definitely the best of the staff, with the morning reception girl also very good. We did try their restaurant, the food was slow coming, but I did liked the meal, although very small portions.. The younger lad perving the girls was a real put off, it he said “Love you long time” to the two young girls near us one more time, I think i would have lost it, luckily they got up and left without ordering... we did see a lot of lone woman being hassled, although I do not think it was meant maliciously, it was totally not needed or welcome. On the whole we found the whole area very safe and saw no crime or aggression anywhere. You do get hassle from the restaurants and some shops, but under Turkish law it is an offence to “over” hassle tourists, if they are caught 3 times they could be closed down.

Best places to eat:
AliBaba Restaurant, 2 minute walk straight down the main tourist street. Good basic food, great atmosphere, Apo and the owners daughter very pleasant and welcoming, cheapest beer in town @ 2.50YTL. Most places being 3-3.50 & 4YTL nearer the sea front.
Grand Restaurant: 5ish minute walk towards the main beach, Really nice food, pleasant atmosphere and busy area.
Best place we found by far was the The Green Wine Restaurant. Great food, very professional staff, much cheaper than in town, but 45 minute walk up the main non tourist road. As with most places there is a free pick up and drop off, just ask reception to call them (make sure you ask how long they will be.). The Turkish diced meat pizza with cheese was a great starter and water was only 1YTL.
Worst place (For us): My China Place: It offers Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Italian and Turkish, we chose it as the four ladies from our hotel were there and they said there “Chinese Meal” was excellent. We opted for Mexican and Indian starter, Chicken tikka was chicken with a bit of colour and spice, the Mexican cheese things where a poor substitute of something from KFC, we have a set meal for two and a Turkish 3 meat special. The set meal starter was burnt, (my other half likes burnt food, but I do not know how they knew that!) the Korma had no spices and was overly sweet, tasted ok, but not Korma, the Chicken, beef and Prawn special was rank.... everything tasted of fish.
TIP OF THE DAY: Complain IMEDIATELY your food or anything is not right. We put up with the crap Korma, over cooked rice and the small “for two” portion, but the 3 meat dish was two much, because we had put up with the rubbish starters and non Korma Korma, I was angry when the little one said she did not like her meal, when my other half and I tasted it, it was just so bad that I let rip into the waiter.... he passed me onto the senior guy, who after calming me down, stated be would have changed all the food that were not satisfied with if we had let him know straight away. He then agreed to removed the 3 meat special from the bill, we paid for what we eat and left not very impressed. If I have sent the food back in the beginning I think we would have had a better experience.....
If you have bothered to get this far, take this tip well, we liked the Ali Baba restaurant, the third meal we ate there was under cooked and was duly sent back, the little ones pancake was burnt in places and sent back. The replacement food was excellent and no bad feeling on any side. So like the Meryem Ana if you accept poor quality, you will get it. If you are not happy, let them know and do it immediately.

The Meryem Ana is very run down in places, and needs a lot of renovation to come up to what the British would expect from a 3 star hotel. It has a lobby area, 24hr reception, baggage assistance, on site restaurant and dinning area, room service (If you have a room with a phone), lift and swimming pool, so i guess the rating is correct. The star rating does not reflect what we would expect in the UK, the room décor, cleanlyness and furnishings and very old, tired and very cheap, stained mattresses, bits of wood to prop up the broken bed legs, dust on most of the fittings and on the 14inch TV (BBC Prime and a few Turkish channels.) Dead insects, hand prints and other stains on the walls, we even had free hair left on our “second hand” soap (short black curly ones). The rags in my garage were better than some of the towels, BTW the linen is suppose to be changed every 3 days..... (Yea, 3 days in 40degrees +) but we had to ask to get this done.... When a towel is dirty I leave it on the floor to be replaced, the maid just hangs it back up even the one we used as a floor mat for the bath room that was really filthy..... Air Con is £25 a week extra, but it will switch off when you remove the key fob.
Although we had paid in advance, we looked at 5 rooms on Floors 3-5 before staying in the cheaper (£15 per night) room with no balcony (£20 pn). The balconies (which are very small with Air con unit directly above) were pool side only and as the pool was not something we wanted to see, hear or smell this was fine. Normally we would want a pool/sea view, however, the pool was filthy when we arrived, after a few days of waffle, like.. Turkey is very dusty, the pool is cleaned each night... and the water is within limits and checked each morning, they finally admitted the pool filtering system was broken and is being fixed, by the end of the first week the pool water was clear, well for a few days, although it never looked as dirty as it was when we arrived, the scum line around the center area, and the lack of visible circulation plus bits of debris floating around for days I would not let my kids swim in it, and we were amazed how many people were happy to use it. I'd admit that I've got in the bath after my other half, but not after 300 strangers........ seriously it was disgusting..The day it was clear, I did go in, but a British woman, (small green bikini and white cap) sat by the edge of the pool splashing water over her legs right by us, I could actually smell the urine.. DIRTY [--]
Ok, I can't blame the Hotel for that, but the stagnant stale smell from the corner by the filtering system trap door was just rank.... enough to say it was the first and last time we used the pool. BTW the pool is 1.80cm everywhere, about 50 sunbeds for the 64ish rooms, so yes, if you want one get out there quick. Hot water was an issue for the first weak, as in there was none!!! at any time of day, but this was fixed by the second week.

It is a 5ish minute walk to the main beach, get there before 10 and you stand a chance of getting a good spot, the beach will be packed by midday, I mean packed, the whole beach area invisible behind hundreds of brollys....Beach 3 is better, the Marina Beach club have a wooden jetty with pure sand one side, two sunbeds and a sun shade 20YTL, again get there early, it starts off all English music and get very load and more for the Turkish in the afternoon. As reception for free pickup and drop off service for either Marina Beach club or Penguin Restaurant at beach 3. When you want to go just get back on the bus and tell them your hotel.

Everything about the accommodation in Hotel was cheap and low quality, every other light bulb was missing, the fourth floor was pitch black at night, which we raised on day one and some of the bulbs replaced on day 13 the maids/cleaners only mopped the floors, emptied the bin and changed the loo roll, if you need anything more done you will need to ask, bed lining changing, clean towels, etc....I spilled some drink on the “dresser” to see how long it would be there, 8 days and only half cleaned. A bit of rubbish by the stairs took four days to disappear. Rubbish and dirty laundry was left in the service area for days. I don't think the lift was cleaned during our entire stay, and unless the guest say sometime I don't think it ever will.

Breakfast...... Turkish only yuckkkkk Olives, “cheese”, cucumber, tomato and bread, jam/honey.. occasional melon or fruit/apple cake... The rotary toaster was OK (be sure to turn it up so it actually toasts) and the coffee machine did an OK cuppa. Anyway breakfast for me was toast and coffee. Based on the poor hygiene I didn't trust the juice or water dispenser... operated by a pump dangling in a water container.....

On the plus side, we left money, mobile phone, digital camera, batteries and charges in the room most of the time and they were never touched, we even tried leaving tips on the bed to see if that made a difference..... the money was just placed on the side.... 10/10 for honesty, 2/10 for cleaning, would have been 1/10, but the floor was well mopped, and who using the corners anyway....;-)

A lot of Turkish also holiday by the sea, some days there were more Turkish than English staying at the hotel, most of the Turkish came across quite ignorant, I dare say we would be the same, the Turkish pay exactly the same as us in the shops, markets and restaurants, and the prices are 3 times higher in the coastal areas.

Car Hire varied from £25-35 per day for a small AC car, petrol was 3.30-40 YTL or £1.50 (ONE POUND FIFTY) a litre (Nothing to do with the tourists)... It cost us £90 to drive to Pumukkale and back, 3.5 hours each way from Didim (20YTL each entry fee, and 5YTL each to use the swimming pool at the bottom of the hill) The roads are uneven and bumpy, although the lanes are about twice the size as ours, this does mean a “dual carriage way” can have four lanes of traffic, there is a hard shoulder bit to the road and motorcycles use this to drive the wrong way up the road. Cars, lorries and tractors join from any side, anywhere, some of the roundabouts have small traffic lights on them, these are hard to see, so be aware that you made need to stop on the larger roundabouts. There are loads of roadside sellers, Figs, Melons, fruit and honey. They are not cheaper than the shops, so just don't bother, 20YTL for a jam jar of honey they encourage you to dip your finger in to taste...... oooooohhh how many fingers have been in that jar....... small basket of figs was 10YTL, although the prices can halve when you start to drive away.... that said, many of the sellers would not drop their price....

The weekly Markets are a waste of time, they are the same local shop keepers selling the same items for the same or more than in the shops, the clothes quality is poor, so check the stitching and that everything lines up. “Designer” LOL tops range from 45-35 YTL, none of the traders would take 20YTL, so as our little one really liked one we settled at 25YTL... the markets 150+ stalls could be broken down into 5 stalls, “Jeans”, “T-Shirts”, “Jackets”, “Fruit, nuts, tea & sweets” & “Other junk”, and everything is available in the shops around the main tourist area at a similar price. Just don't bother, you can barter just as good in the shops.

Dolmus buses. As you walk down the streets buses will beep at you, (some because your on the road, but most) because they want to know if you want a ride. Be sure that you know where you are going as not all follow the same route. For example if you say “Beach 2”, CareFour, blah blah they will either say next bus or drive off if it is not on their route, or let you on if it is. On our return ALL of the buses knew Meryem Ana, Altinkum & Dolphin Square. The most you will be charged is 1.50YTL, Aqua Park, Market, Apollo Temple etc, although shorter journeys should cost less, we were charged 1.50 for most journeys, I can't be doing with arguing over pence, so whatever..... Be aware these buses will cram as many people on as possible, so don't expect an great ride. If they are too packed, just wait 5-10 minutes for the next one or enjoy the experience. They drive quite slow, so it's not “too” bad.

Beaches: Main beach is packed by midday, this is the same in all resorts peak season Bodrum, Abitez, Abutz... Yes we drove to all of them.....
A little passed the harbour there are some steps that lead down to a small beach area, mostly used by the Turkish, there is no hassle and it can be nice, next along is Didim Beach, we are told it is called the Turk Beach, although at 10YTL per hour for a sunbed I doubt any Turkish use it..... remember it is free to park yourself on any beach, so bring a towel/beach mat and claim your spot.
TOP TIP: After the fun fair, by the pine woods, and Didim Beach, there is a sign to “Garden Beach” this is the other side of the big hotel complex. Here you can get a brolly, and two sun beds for 10YTL all day. The son, of the cafe owner is great, and will get you a beer 4ytl, ice cream 2 ytl and bring it to you. We never tipped and always got great service, this is the quietest beach front in Altinkum, just around the corner from Beach 3. The free pick-up/Drop off for the penguin restaurant or Marina Club bypass the sign for garden Beach, although the penguin restaurant offer free beach mattresses and the Marina club charge 10ytl per sun bed (first beer free). The garden beach is the best spot we found. If you buy a small net (by the harbour) you can have hours of fun hunting craps.... ok, well my little one and I did, some of the crabs look like seaweed and are very hard to spot, the others only seem to come out at certain times and hide under rocks,. Still good fun and much better than a pool....

OK, If you got this far I guess i did not bore you too much, excluding, poor gramme and bad English, I would like to know if this review was useful. It is the first one I've done and took quite a while... I choose the Meryem Ana based on reviews that could have been written by the owners.... if you are ok with sub-standard you can have a good time at this Hotel....There are better... BTW, loads of power cuts, some all over Altinkim, some just at this hotel, The very noises generator on the roof can not cope.... I used the lifts, but I live for the danger ;-).

For us Turkey was great, we never felt in danger, threaten or worried in any part of the tourist area, the Turkish seem very honest trusting and good natured. Your money is wanted, and if you accept crap, it will be supplied. Always ask “how much” before you buy, a small bottle of water can cost 0.40YTL to 4YTL.
BIG TIP: Before you travel to the airport on your return, buy plenty of food and drink, which you can take to the departures area. Once inside everything is priced in Euro's which will be doubled if you pay in YTL. A beer at the airport was 15YTL, we had a takeaway from The Green Wine Restaurant and took bottles of coke and water, this saved us a fortune.....All in all we enjoyed our first experience of Turkey, we will definitely go back, but not to the Meryem Ana Hotel.
Accommodation, beer & cigarettes are very cheap, otherwise it's not much cheaper than the UK, do check prices before ordering, beer is cheaper than water in some places!!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Doyzer
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Just come back from the Meryem Ana and really enjoyed it. The staff could not do enough for you and really do help you have a good time. The food is really good and you can get a three course meal for 17ytl (£7.50). a bottle of efes lager is 4ytl or a can of J ohn Smiths for 6ytl. The rooms are of a decent spec, television, air con but you need a pool view, The pool is a decent size but 1.8metres deep, there is a kiddies pool also. Away from the hotel Altinkum is very busy, loads to do, the local waterpark is very good. We had a good day out at sea on Taffys English boat a bit dearer than the others but well worth the extra.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bazmundy
Reviewed August 1, 2008

After stayin at another hotel in altinkum this one is most defintley the best, clean,friendly staff,good food and good laugh. We,ve been to this hotel 3 times and thought it was the best wont stay anyway else. Actually going back in october 2008 for more sun. If u think ov going to this hotel check out boris what a scream he is so entertaining he will make your holiday.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed at the meryem ana for two weeks and we had the best time ever! Staff were absolutely hilarious... my son spent 50% of the holiday trying to push Mickey and Stephen into the pool! It`s a real family run hotel and they really make you feel welcome. The food is fabulous and cheaper than eating at home!! (Almost!)
My friends came out for one week and we have decided to book again but no children allowed next time! Ha ha!! Boris is lovely and so helpful and welcoming!
The bedrooms are spacious and clean and as I went on my own with my two children I expected a camp bed but the room had three proper beds... quite unusual, normally you would get a twin room with a bed cramped in but not here. The people in Altinkum were all friendly and they will not forget your name! Shopping... try Tommy Cooper for the bags, he will sulk if you try and barter but I think he`s joking (hopefully)! Clothes go to Asda price on the sea front. Adem has the lot, G Star Raw, Henley, Dolce and Gabbana and loads more.
One of the best holidays we have ever had and if you go to the hotel take Liz some Minstrels or Chicken and Mushroom Pot Noodles!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank amandachick
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My 7 year old granddaughter and I stayed in the Meryem Ana Hotel in June for two weeks this year. We had a terrific stay. The hotel is clean, food is good, it is in a good positiion not too far from beach etc., but most of the staff were FRIENDLY, HELPFUL, FUNNY and willing to join in with any fun that was going on. I can't really find any fault with the hotel or Altinkum. I hoope to return next year...if not before...Barbara & Megan, Dundee.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2008

From the moment you arrive to the time you leave you are treated like royality, the staff can not do enough for you, they really do try there absolute best to make your holiday the stuff of dreams. The hotel is clean, in an excellent location with a great pool one of the largest of all the hotels in Altinkum.

We can not convey how much the staff really do make you feel like you are part of their family. Soner (the owners son) and Liz (his fiancee) run the 2 bars day and night are great people with bags of energy even after a 12 hour day. The entertainment staff consists of Mickey, Steven and Borris and they will keep you laughing the whole day and night. Eddie (Soners nephew) on reception is a fantastic guy, who will teach you all about chillies!!!!

You MUST try the food in the hotel it is an absolute bargain and is definitly one of the best places in Altinkum. Approx. 6 pounds for a 3 course meal!! What more could you ask for great food, excellent location and hotel staff that become part of your family.

We will definitly be back, and will miss everyone very much, its just a shame holidays cant last forever but friends can.........

Kel, Alex, Trolli and Colin