“Don't expect much”

Ranked #1 of 59 Didim B&B and Inns
Anglesey, United Kingdom
“Don't expect much”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was concerned before arriving due to the previous reviews, I should have taken more notice. Please read them all before you book this hotel. Chips for breakfast was a first for me! All meals cater for Turkish guests (and staff!) Very little choice. Red wine was freezing. Only wine and lager available other than tea and coffee. Needed a very good clean and scrub about the bar and eating area. However rooms very clean. Lift hardly worked. Entertainment nil. Don't know what happened to the BBQ that's in the picture! We ended up eating out which was ok as is very cheap to eat in the resort. The Queens Head around the corner make a much needed all day breakfast. Ikbal's Restaurant & Bar is a must - steak to die for!

Room Tip: Try and get a first floor room due to the lift constantly breaking down. Ok if you only want a base...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jones082013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

All inclusive at this hotel meant fresh bread and fresh salad, O and shouldn't forget ALL the drinks which were available Pepsi,water ,sprite ,white and Vvvvvvery cold red wine , Oooh and mustn't forget tea and coffee. BUT location of hotel was great and room was good and clean. So cheap to eat and drink out so made no difference to our holiday we all had a good time. Apparently spoke to a traveller who had stayed in the hotel in May this year and said it was fantastic so she came back in October and was very disappointment. Do no expect too much of this hotel until the reviews improve October 13th 2013

Room Tip: First or second floor as lift was mostly out of order ,so if u do suffer from mobility problems the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhianwyn
romford
Reviewed October 9, 2013

we arrived at the hotel around 1am our room was very clean we were on an A/I holiday and quickly found out this was perhaps not the best idea the food was ok but very repetative so we decided to eat out which was very good value for money and ufuk in the peilkan bar opposite is great we would go again but room only as there are so many good places to eat very close by the hotel staff were very young and seemed to have very limited experience but with a litte help from the right management this hotel could be very good indeed they dont seem to have grasped the idea of all inclusive properly yet but are not a million miles away

Room Tip: ask for an end room as these seem to be much larger
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

When we arrived at 0200am we were told there was a problem with our room and that we would not have to pay but they would move us to another botel for one night. The alternate hotel was deserted and closed down . After a terrifying transfer journey we were grateful for a bed. We were assured that we would get a very nice room on our return in the morning. We hiked our suit case back the following morning in the heat and were told we had to wait for our room. So we went for breakfast which was billed as late breakfast. Nothing much was left as they don't seem to top up after the early breakfast! Please bear in mind this was supposed to be our honeymoon which it would seem. No one knew or cared about. We were then offered a room which we accepted and they told us this is the only room we have. Our sea view / pool view was a brick wall. When I went to point out that this was not what we paid for no one spoke English although they could eat limited English on our arrival. Hence we were completely fobbed off. I tried every day to find an English speaker but it wasnt until.mid week that I happened to come across the manager who spoke reasonable English I explained it was our honeymoon and we were not happy with the WORSTE room in the hotel he wasn't particularly interested and eventually sent some app,Es and grapes to the room he said we could move but we had already planned a day trip to Ephesus for the following morning he shrugged as though to say tough. I asked for some kind of recompense and he gave us a late check out gratis which equates to £20 to be honest this was an insult for what we had to endure looking a brick wall. It saddened me as it is very obvious that they prefer not have English guests there we never were offered Turkish coffee or table service or any such thing which local tourists received regularly the food was very interesting I wouldn't call it Turkish as I know what Turkish food is and cold Brussels sprouts in yoghurt is not part of Turkish cuisine. But having said that we found something to eat most evenings the best meal we had was across the street in the Piraña Bar a very reasonably priced yet very well cooked steak! When I asked for a cocktail at the all inclusive bar they looked at me as though i was crazy and gave me a coke. I would Tavel to the area again but definitely not the letoon hotel it would seem the hotel has been either sold or has new management as there service was very poor. The return transfer to bodrum was The most scarey experience I have ever had to endure.after taking a detour to visit a lady for gas money which took approx 20 minutes and travelling the wrong way up a motorway to get fuel we then had an enforced coffee stop but when the driver realised the flight times he drove like a lunatic for over and hour endangering all the gusts on the minibus and ignored all please to slow down. This was not a good end to our holiday. I have I formed lowcostholidays holidays about this trip and hope they will respond soon. Altinkum is a lovely spot in turkey with great people and a lovely beach I will be going back there but sadly not to the letoon hotel this is the first time I have been moved to write a repot on trip advisor I am not a deluded complainer I just wanted the truth stated for others to see

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms 101 201 301 as all these rooms face a brick wall with no view I was in room 101
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Liannerox
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My brother and I have just returned (13/09/2013) from a weeks stay at the Hotel Letoon, on an all inclusive holiday. The room was clean , although the airconditioner never worked ,and although reported several times no action was ever taken to fix the unit. The food was very basic but could be lived with ,and the Turkish guests seemed to accept it as normal , although we had to venture out for a few meals prior to the holidays end. As I have read in several other reviews the all inclusive option is not worth the extra . The bar only had vodka and beer for most of the week then even that ran out and there was an only beer option by the end of the week. If you tried to ask staff for assistance they would disregard you if a Turkish guest needed help at the same time, and paid little attention at any other time. I do not wish to put them down to much as the holiday on the whole was good , just there is much to be learned at the Letoon on the hospitality front.On the up side of things there everything you need for a good base to stay whilst checking out the local sights and restaurants.

Room Tip: lower floors recomended as lift does not always work, so be prepared for a climb
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank plot66bGeorge
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at Letoon Hotel for 8 nights in June 2013 with a friend. The holiday was booked fairly last minute and seemed very well priced for what was included. Being (relatively) young (in our early 20’s) we booked this holiday because it was very well priced, within our budget and seemed like a bargain! Having read the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to take a gamble and book it as the hotel was only intended to be a base and it seemed like a really good deal!

On arrival in Turkey our transfer coach was no-where to be seen. Nobody at the airport seemed to have heard of our transfer company and not many people could speak English. After a while of looking we found a small minibus with our transfer logo on it. The driver was friendly but had limited English so communication was difficult. The approximate 1 and a half hour coach transfer actually turned into a 4 hour terrifying journey. After nearly two hours on the boiling hot minibus our driver stopped at a petrol station and said “1/2 hour break”. As you can imagine at this point everyone on the minibus was very hot and stressed from the travelling and lack of communication and wanted to arrive at their hotels and begin their holidays. (I was quite happy to stay at the petrol station just because I was petrified of the crazy driving!) I can honestly say I have never experienced such scary driving anywhere. Minibuses overtaking coaches which are overtaking cars on bends with on coming traffic. Locals sitting on flatbed trucks overtaking coaches at 60mph! Unfortunately Letoon was the last stop on the transfer and we finally arrived late afternoon/mid evening.

On arrival, we checked in at the reception desk and my first impressions were that it looked lovely. It was very clean and quite modern and the pool looked nice. So we gave our documents to the girls at reception and then after some muttered Turkish they gave us a wrist band as we were all inclusive and said “ok passports 1 hour, you go”. After a very stressful journey and having been awake since 2am (after an early flight) I was not prepared to leave my passport with the receptionist (in a hotel which at first glance looked like it was in quite a remote dodgy area) who could not speak a word of English to explain what exactly they wanted my passport for. After a very broken sign gestured conversation, they decided to give us our passports and took the copies there are then.

A young man who seemed to be the manager helped us to our room with our cases however the first two rooms that he tried, the cards did not work so he moved us to another room. After a very long journey I was pleasantly surprised when we saw the room! I can honestly say that the room was so much better than the photos we had seen. It was so clean and very modern, much like a Travelodge kind of room, but very clean. Good decoration, spacious, tv, mini fridge. (Although another guest at the hotel who saw our room said that hers was slightly smaller and a bit different but still nice) After exploring the room we decided to have a well deserved drink at the bar and explore the hotel however this was shortly lived as we discovered that along with the broken air conditioning, the balcony door did not lock. After our earlier communication barrier with the staff we decided that it was best to actually take the air conditioning remote to reception to show them exactly what we meant. In fairness, someone came up with us straight away to look at the problem, did fix the A/C and said that he would be back to fix the door…..it was still broken when we left. My friend convinced me that it would be fine as we were on second or third floor so it would be okay. She was probably right but you still don’t really want a door that doesn’t lock.

And so we decided to have a few drinks at the bar before dinner. There wasn’t a menu available and so we asked what cocktails were available, the bar man found this quite amusing and we all repeated the word cocktail several times before he finally said ok. We waited in anticipation…and he gave us two glasses of coke. We laughed it off and drank it then tried to ask again what sort of cocktails were available. The language barrier proved too much and he went and got another member of staff to try and understand us. This man could understand some English. And so we asked again for cocktails. “Cocktails? Oh no cocktails. Cocktails are extra”. So we asked what drinks were included. “Coke, lemonade, fanta, vodka, beer, wine (and some random bottles of spirits in a fridge)” And so we discovered that the drinks menu was very limited, although they are very generous with the spirits so you only need a couple of drinks!

The all inclusive meal times seemed amazing – you could pretty much eat all the time according to the opening times. Breakfast would start at say 7 then as soon as breakfast finished it was late breakfast, then brunch, then hot drinks, then lunch, late lunch etc. it seemed too good to be true. It was. The food was diabolical. Most things served were unidentifiable. There were 5 or 6 hot dishes every night and then random salads and dips covered in cling film (much like a family buffet but worse) The hot dishes mostly consisted of some sort of multicoloured vegetable medley maybe with rice or some sort of meat. Maybe a hard boiled egg thrown in. We did read the food reviews before we booked and they were bad but as all inclusive was not much more (cost wise) we decided that it would be worth it at least for drinks. It wasn’t. Breakfast wasn’t much better. Usually hard boiled eggs, sometimes beans, salad for breakfast and a variety of foreign cereals. But always, without fail, there was a fresh loaf of bread for dinner and breakfast. We ate a lot of bread. After two or so bush tucker trials (dinners) we found a lovely restaurant about 10 minutes walk away called Ikbals. And we pretty much ate there from then on. Lovely people, still Turkish and not great spoken English but no hassle at all. So cheap, English food and just really lovely, highly recommended.
We did try breakfast a few more times although was finally put off when a local flee ridden cat (which often made use of the pool slide) decided to sit on the table in amongst the buffet trays and help himself to the food whilst we were eating breakfast! At least someone was enjoying the food! The staff seemed disappointed that we were not making use of the all inclusive meals but when we explained that the food was vile they actually agreed with us.

The pools were actually quite nice although we were slightly reluctant to use them as the male staff seemed to stare a lot when you had clothes on so we didn’t really fancy lounging around in bikinis by the pool. Two reasonable sized pools, one with slides. (The cats also liked to use the slides of an evening which was quite amusing, probably the best entertainment in the hotel.)

Yes the evening entertainment was limited to say the least. A couple of nights the entertainment people put on some games and did some dancing, but again this was expected and we didn’t plan to stay at the hotel of an evening. We did go at a fairly quiet time of the year aswell so it may be different in the height of summer.

The beach was very close, less than 5 minutes away and sun beds were free to anyone staying at Letoon. There are lots of nice restaurants and bars to visit along the beachfront. Take a walk right into the town as Letoon is a 10 minute walk away from all the fun. Some places I would recommend – Ikbals restaurant, Ege Bar in Dolphin Square and Linekers and Pelican Bar directly opposite Letoon. Again staff are great.

If you are looking to do excursions I would highly recommend Taffys boat trip – 30 lira (equivalent of about £10) for a whole day of fun. Lovely English family own the boat, lovely food and just a quality day. Also the dalayman turtle beach trip – amazing! Transfer from hotel, boat trip, mud bath, turtles, delich food – one of the best days! Aqualand water park was a bit of a disappointment and quite pricey when you actually get there but good if you have children.

A few days into our holiday we were woken up by the door to our bedroom being opened in the middle of the night. It was definitely someone with a card as we both heard the door bleep and we also heard laughing outside our room. As young girls in a foreign country I wouldn’t really expect that from the staff at the hotel and we don’t really know what that was all about but this was quickly dealt with when we reported it to the night manager and the lovely receptionist (Jane) and they re-assured us that it would not happen again.

So to sum it up - if you’re looking for some sun, a cheap holiday with a hotel that you can just use as a base and you don’t take everything to seriously then book away. Just don’t book all inclusive, it’s a waste of money. The hotel IS nice, the rooms are nice and so clean and the staff are friendly. If the language barrier will bother you then learn some basic Turkish before you go – you are going to turkey at the end of the day so they will speak Turkish. The holiday will be what you make it, if you’re going to read these reviews and still want to book it then your probably don’t take things too seriously anyway but if you are expecting 5* luxury then you should probably carry on looking! Me and the friend I went with would happily go back (but just not all inclusive) because we had a great time. Happy holidays!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnonNS1991
Builth Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

First impressions on arrival were ok, the receptionist was lovely and bubbly, room clean and comfortable. It went downhill dramatically from there! Staff did not speak to us with the exception of the bubbly receptionist and the cleaner. Food was lovely on the first day but it then became rapidly apparent that they only serve chicken and salad, one morning soup was served for breakfast!!!! Ended up eating in some fantastic restaurants. People out of the hotel were kind and friendly making every effort to remember our names. Hotel had a bad reputation with locals and was told they do not want English there. Resort fab so go but find somewhere else to stay!!!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank lallysl

Travelers are raving about these Didim hotels