“Close to home”

Stanwix Park Holiday Centre
Cumbria
“Close to home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I only live 5miles away and booked this for my family as a bit of a stress free mini break.I was pleasantly surprised ,it's a good size the nightly entertainment was excellent for the kids, the staff keep them entertained for hours.The bar is expensive,the food in restaurant is nothing special,and menu selection is poor.The shop is expensive and on the whole the staff are pleasant .However,I purchased a light up sword for my son and he dropped it on the floor literally within 2mins of owning it.It stopped working so I took it back to the receptionist and explained what happened,her response was not acceptable in that she said ,with a very snotty demeanour' we will change it this time but don't ask again!' This greatly let the whole team down as far as I'm concerned,from a customers point of view I purchased a product not fit for the use it was sold for yet was treat with contempt.Either change what you sell to your customers or accept your products are below par and accept valid customer complaints. I would return as on the whole there's plenty to do the caravans and apartments are nice. The indoor pool is great ,a good value family holiday !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amigolovelyhair

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a static caravan here on the 29th July for 4 nights the kids had a ball. The out door pool was only opened 1 day of our stay which wasn't ideal. The indoor swimming is fun but changing rooms and locker area could be doing with a re vamp and more changing cubicles. The bowling and amusements and soft play area are all in the 1 and out kids loved going from bit to bit. The family bar was good and we all loved that to. The little cafe is very expensive and there aren't alot of eating places in Silloth. Shops are very poor also. Our caravan was very clean but could have been doing with some up to date decoration. Overall it was a good holiday and the kids loved it and never got bored. Security in all areas could be stepped up though

• Stayed July 2013
Blantyre, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

we are just back from a long weekend camping with my family and my friends family from 26th-29th July. we booked two pitches for our tents which were right next to each other which was ideal for the kids to run around and for us to keep an eye on them, two 3 year olds and a 9 year old. I was very impressed with the leisure complex its self very clean and well laid out, with 3 bars only one of which the kids could use, the pool was good but not enough changing rooms that said we all managed !!.I have been to many sites with the run by the larger chains (Haven ,Parks , ETC) usually in a static caravan though and found this site better than most if you like camping , touring or renting a caravan give this place a try.

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Left after one night! Booked this park as it has an outdoor pool. Due to medical issues I am unable to go swimming at the moment so thought the outdoor pool was ideal for my children as I could sit nearby and supervise them. Arrived at 3.30pm, weather lovely (21 degrees). Pool closed! When I asked why I was told that they only open it when it's "really sunny"! When I challenged this by pointing out that it was really lovely outside I was told that the weather forecast had said it was going to rain so therefore they had not opened it! Was not happy about this but tried to enjoy the rest of the day. At 11.30pm on the night, a gang of teenagers (at least 15 of them) who were clearly intoxicated gathered in the park situated outside my caravan, they were shouting and generally being badly behaved. They left at 12.35. Another group arrived within 5 mins and were within inches of the front of my caravan, bickering and playing music. By 1am I had had enough and because there is no number to ring for security I had to go out and look for a member of staff to come and remove the youths. Finally, I had peace and at 1.30am I finally was allowed to sleep. I complained the following morning and was told the manager would come and see me. Fed up of waiting I contacted hoseasons directly (I booked through them but I must state that the park is not a hoseasons park they just have an agreement with park to provide some accomodation) and asked if they could help. Hoseasons were brilliant and relocated me to another caravan site. After 3 hours the manager had still not come to see me by which time hoseasons had sorted my issues. Incidentally the weather on the second day was also sunny and still the outdoor pool was closed! My friend was told that it was because it was overcast and windy???? It certainly was not overcast and the wind was not really an issue. Very disappointing to offer facilities that are rarely available!
The caravan was ok.
The food in the cafe was ok. It took them 20 mins to cook a hotdog.
The staff that I met were all miserable. The manager needs to rethink his bonkers policy about the opening of the outdoor pool!
Glad to be out of there. Hoseasons are brilliant and I'm now at a lovely park in Lancashire.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Willtaylor123
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed here 4 times now and this time we stayed in a Windermere apartment, this is the biggest apt they have on a corner with two sets of patio doors and a spacious terrace that runs right round. very spacious lounge with sofa bed plus sofa and two chairs and a large dining table with six chairs. Two double beds and freezer and fridge. I would definitely have this apt again because of the size and location. Park was as clean as ever, there was a kite festival on in Silloth which was a bonus and it was hot and never rained once. Kids enjoyed the splash park in Silloth, a collection of buckets and water guns hidden behind the village green so take a towel and a costume if weather is good. silloth is quiet and relaxing and comprises of two pubs a very good ice-cream shop an excellent coop and spar. There is a play park hidden in the grounds of the rugby club, down a dip, which is also a short cut to Stanwix park if you follow the fence made of railway sleepers. The kids entertainment on site gets a bit boring as foxy fox doesn't stay on very long but we were lucky to have Scottish entertainer Malay mark on one night and we didn't go in every night anyway. Pool is very good but not so keen on mixed changing rooms though, bowling was good and fairly priced, cafe was ok, we ate there twice, jacket potatoes nice and area clean. We went on lots of trips, walbyfarm farm in Calrlilse, Keswick which is about forty mins drive, absolutely beautiful and went on a boat, try Booths supermarket for any supplies or souvineers, we bought some just roasted chicken there and ate it around the lake. There's a massive car boot in Silloth on Sunday mornings, good for salad ingredience and strawberries etc. We also went to Allonby beach which is lovely,and hunted for rocks,and west lakes animal park near cocker mouth which had an excellent birds of pray display. All in all we had a fab holiday but we really have done everything up here now so won't be visiting again for a while, the weather made our holiday one to remember.

Room Tip: Book direct with stanwix park and ask for one of the bigger rooms such as Windermere, as haven don...
Inverness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for a 2 week holiday at Stanwix and it is fantastic. We could not fault anything. We did have to have our caravan changed on arrival as the one allocated was unsuitable due to the high step into the shower and it was a bit dirty and worn. This was no trouble and the very pleasant receptionist sorted it out and we were moved immediately to another caravan which was lovely and clean and in excellent condition. Next time we will book direct with Stanwix and give "Hoseasan the middle man" a miss. The site is so clean and well kept. Both the outdoor and indoor swimming pools were excellent. All the facilities for the kids were brilliant, the bowling, the pools, the daily entertainment, the lounge bars, the cafe, were excellent. All the staff we spoke to were polite, friendly, and well presented. Will definately return next year, thanks Stanwix for a great holiday.

Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Have been to this site several times with my touring caravan & also stayed in a challet/flat for a week. The flat was great. We only booked the flat as we were very unfortunate to get our touring caravan stolen. The swimming pools are great as is all the entertainment complex. I now have a new tourer so i look forward to going back. I prefer the part of the site called skidaw but that is just my preference. Toilet facilities are always clean & tidy. The staff on this site are very friendly & helpfull. All in all a great site

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank amg1888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Golf Hotel
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,568 reviews

Been to Stanwix Park Holiday Centre? Share your experiences!