“I wish I read the reviews before booking”

Solway Holiday Village
Brighton, United Kingdom
“I wish I read the reviews before booking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

we booked our holidays with the sun, was our first time and we did the first mistake "didnt look the reviews first" , we pay a extra money for passes and linen that for what my friends said you dont have to pay for this normally, but like I said were our first time and we didnt know
when we arrive the reception was friendly but not information about at all, just give us our keys and no explication about the site that I thought was weird.
the accomodation was clean but is all I can say about it, as very old decoration, very uncomfortable beds and very poor utensilies in the kitchen.
Is not facilities for kids at all in site, the outdoor area didnt look bad but not good when is raining and nothing more to do, the pool is ok ish, and only one of the bars was open in the evening and the kids entertaiment nule, (few songs from a cd, and colouring with crayons) after a hour in there one of the girls that I think was as well the pub manger got changed and converted herself in a cabaret diva for the adults that finish giving us a headache and we left.
the holidays was save as we travel around and we went to see the lakes, adrians wall, carlisle casttle....but that finish in a expensive holidays as you have to drive for more than a hour to see anything
I wouldnt recomended this site to anyone, creepy, old.......

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Olga S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

Myself and my friend took our 4 children here, 2 one year olds and 2 three year olds. We booked through the Sun holidays for 9.50 and after reading the reviews has pretty low expectations. The accomodation was spacious and clean, decor a little dated and equipment was well used, the beds were comfortable. The park facilites were great, the entertainment staff were lovely and really made an effort with the children, there is a lovely little train ride round the site, great swimming pool although changing facilities need some work, excellent park and play area, great farm on site with really lovely well cared for animals, and great places to visit locally. Mary port for fish and chips and allonby for the lovely beach and play area.
Although this was my first holiday on a park like this, we had a great time and would recommend it as a cheap but cheerful way to have a great time with the kids. Really enjoyed our stay and hope to return next year. In terms of value for money it was great. If you want 5 star accomodations this isn;t for you, but if you are happy with clean, safe and friendly it is great. All the staff were very nice, especially the train driver who gives information about the site!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hayley32
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Great value for money for last minute holiday, lots of free facilities to keep our two year old entertained. We would definately recommend this. Just be prepared to travel if you want to see the Lakes and Scotland as it is located on the border of both.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank StephenBird9170
Innerleithen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

I wasn't sure about coming here after reading the comments. But I do like to make my own judgements.
There was my husband, my dog and myself booked into a two bedroom chalet for four nights.
We were pleasantly surprised....the chalet was very roomy, bright and clean. We had to put coins in the meter but we knew that before booking, the coins lasted well.
We didn't use the facilities preferring to use the site as a base. I did have a look around, the site was large with lots of green areas for kids to explore, the animal farm was disappointing, the minature railway wasn't working and by the amount of weeds hadn't worked for a while.
There is a lot of areas that need tidying and the old leisure area looks shabby.
However having said that the present reception and leisure areas are clean and fresh. Staff were pleasant and helpful.
Would I go back? Probably not but that's because we exhausted the sights around the area.
I did feel it was good value for money especially if we had used the facilities on site.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank samsmydog
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

Was very worried having read some reviews on here. It was really a great value place. We don't normally "do" caravans as I am a bit fussy but this was an Orlando gold with central heating and double glazing, microwave,oven Tv and freeview. It was very clean and pretty new. The beds and bedding were good quality and clean and comfortable. I hate yucky beds or bedding but I felt very clean and comnfortable. The site is good. All the facilties were good. the bar with the entertainment had been given a recent American Themed makeover as was the reception. The entertainment staff worked hard and although I'm not really a Karoake kind of person it was quite funny to watch. The drinks were fairly priced and we enjoyed it. The pool staff were nice and the pool and changing rooms were as good as any public swimming but the chlorine levels were quite high-kids eyes were a bit stingy.

There was a 9 hole golf course which was free in Sept. There is a lovely well keptfree to visit farm which is a fantastic facility if your children like animals -mine visited every day.
Just paid 50 p for a large bag of food.

The area Siloth is actually not bad -there is a coop with plenty food choices -so you could get most things you wanted to eat. The shopkeepers are pleasant. The beach area is stony bit great for mussels and catching crabs -the kids had a great time and the dog if we could have brought him would have loved it.

We travelled to hadrians wall -it did take an hour but it was fantastic fun . We also visited the go kart racing at Maryport which was good value and the kids just loved it. We visited the Gretna Green outlet for some shopping and lunch.

I would retun here quite happily as with the free tennis,free farm,swim pool ,playpark entertainment, the beach , hadrians wall -I think there is lots of good value activities. I would recommend it and I think for granparents wanting to take their granchildren or for single parents it would be a great break as the kids could be safe and happy . Kids did try to spend a lot of money in the machines-be warned!-Oops forgot -added bonus was free WIFI -in Nags head pub and around it -ie can sit outside. I was able to access the internet while children used machines and played about.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MRSoli
Cannock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2010

We travelled to Solway with poor recomendations from your site, only to be pleasantly supprised. Aparently having had five managers in two years it had gone down. The new manager is caring and has plans. The three bed chalet had its own drive and recently been decorated inside. Location is good for walks, bus and small town some 15 mins walk. Locals very friendly. Local Derwent brewery by port serves Albion pub eden street. Bespoke jewelery shop and local trawer sells his shrimp catch also by port. Godd local MS Charity shop with is like an aladins cave at realy low prices. Two supermakets and a hanfull of other shops and services are available. The camp offer entertainment in a large well decorated bar. As it was of season two other entertainment bars where closed. We enjoyed the holiday and used local buses and car trips during the day. I was nice to return to as it felt much like comming home with chalets offing plenty of outside grass served by a lounge door opening out so a warm day a pleasant breeze came in. Five mins to walk to a long prom with plentiful breeze and view, noticed several people had taken a dog and strolled along the unspoit forshore. Nine hole golf course was free during September. We are all adults so cannot give report in the eye of a child or parents but it was good for us
Regards

Mike Alcock

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mikeshol
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

me and my hubby and our four children ranging in age from 20 mnths to 17 years booked a week last minute when our usual haunt was fully booked. First impressions were good the accommodation a coniston chalet was spacious and clean, and parking was on your own little driveway. The place is a little dated but we were using it as a base for a week, not renting for six months. Electricity is by coin meter and i found the meter difficult to read and a bit of a nuisance, the bedding is faded and wardrobes had only 3 coat hangers in them, the kitchen was well equiped though and the space more than made up for any niggles. The ball pit was entered by a key with a returnable five pound deposit and you were instructed to lock the door behind you, this was to save money on a member of staff to supervize and there were only two keys so only two families could access this at anyone time. I found this a bit disturbing at best and a fire hazard, also it meant when reception was closing everyone had to leave. The pool closed early and even though we went 30 minutes before closing time we were denied access as it was empty and i think the lifeguard was going to take advantage off this and go home. Silloth itself is quiet clean and its location is to be expected, you only need to look at a map to see where it is positioned, handy to pop either to the lakes or to scotland. Days out for us were maryport to the aqurium there, gretna green, carlilse and its historic castle, annon, a large carboot 10 mins away from march to sept, west beach, the sandy beach shown on the photos 25 mins walk away and not the pebble rock affair that is supposed to be adjacient to the park. All in all my children loved it up here and my six year old cried when we got in the car as he didnt want to leave but that was because of what we made of it up here. We would not stay at solway village again but we would come back and try stanwix park which looks much better, more modern as even the locals call solway the wild west and omg your not staying there are you? The village has a exellent chippy, try the curry gorgeous, an ice cream parlour , homemade ice cream an exellent pub,we stopped off on a bike ride then got fish and chips and drove down the seafront back to our chalet with the sun on our backs and the wind in our hair!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank buryrock

Travelers are raving about these Silloth hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Golf Hotel
Stanwix Park Holiday Centre
Green View Guest House
Green View Guest House
#1 of 3 in Silloth

Been to Solway Holiday Village? Share your experiences!