“please take a torch”

Solway Holiday Village
Nelson, United Kingdom
“please take a torch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have used this holiday village for 11 years now for visiting friends in silloth, it is basic and affordable for what we want. we have always eaten in the nags head bar at night. but I must say last night took the (Michael ) there were 4 adults and 3 children eating and we walked into a pub in darkness except for 3 lights along the bar its self. We found a table near to the pool table as this had some window light to see the menus and to eat are food. I just could not help my next comment to my husband as he walked to the bar " ask them if they want a £1 for the electric "?.
he came back and said he had asked if they could put some light on so we could see whilst we were eating , the young girl said " I am really sorry I cant put the lights on as it effects the flat Screen TV and there watching Manchester united". When I looked around most people were eating and only 2 or 3 people watching the football . after all I had only spent £60 on food and drink to eat it in the dark. never again will I eat in the nags head bar . So anyone going and wants to eat please take a torch to see. A lady did come after we got the food and asked if we wanted a bit of light and put 3 small spot lights near the pool table on .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We arrived around 5.45pm on the fri,due to my son having an upset tummy on our way down from Edinburgh, entering the holiday village looked bit run down and needs updating. Reception was closed so had to check in at the bar. Taken about 20min! Misspelling of my name and couldn't find my details, staff were polite and apologetic, eventually got to our caravan, number 1 which was easy to find. It was clean and tidy with central heating which was great. We went over to the kids club, was freezing inside so I sat with my coat on as did a few others I noticed. kids seemed to enjoy the entertainment. On sat we went swimming! This system of changing rooms were nothing ive ever seen, and only 2 cubicals to get changed in, these felts like ice boxes along with the showers, kids enjoyed the pool, which was also freezing. Sun we did the soft play, £5 returnable deposit for the key, fair enough. Also freezing cold in there but kids soon warmed up. To my suprise an ex employee still had various keys to the holiday village and entered the soft play and was bad mouthing the place, so we taken ourself to the park which needs some updating also few things are broken, but again kids seemed happy. We did venture out to the local chip shop which was nice, sunday market also but wasnt much there. Overall its a quiet place, kids were happy which is main thing, it was a cheap weekend away, but does need updating compared to other parks I have travelled to

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank louii87

Travelers are raving about these Silloth hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Main issue- my daughter wAs playing in the accomdation and I looked at her and she had a broken false nail in her fingers, about to put it in her mouth. I showed the reception lady who was lovely and clearly horrified as was I. I showed the receptionist my nails showing that the broken false nail was clearly not mine. My daughter could have choked. I'm very upset that this could have hurt her. We have also left a day early. Horseasons have emailed what happened along with other issues to the park but no response. I feel trip adviser gets a response due to public viewing. There were other issues like the a hole in the bottom of the door and a toilet roll that looked like it had been eaten by something but the biggest issue was the safety of my daughter. I thought I should complain to horseasons but should have to the park manager.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank jen21m
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Hi we have been going to solway holiday village camping for years but I am sad to say the august trip will be our last there as it is so run down now. its not had any real investment in it and is in a bad way with the roads. the touring part has poor drainage and the shower block is old and when they work have poor pressure. The washing up area is tiny and the over head lights were full of dead flys not just some. hundreds. The bins over flowed. It needs to be refurbished. If you want to visit solway and whitehaven maryport.etc I would advise stanwix holiday park.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank michael s
troon, ayrshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We upgraded to a Coniston Chalet with Hot tub which was well equipped. The hot tub was the highlight of the weekend. The park is very run down and requires a great deal of attention. Take away food was standard takeaway food and ok priced. Instead of spending the weekend using the facilities, we spent most of this travelling around the nearby towns. Been there, but wouldn't rush back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pami43
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for your feedback we are sorry that you didn't seem to get the most out of your stay with us as so many others do. Our Hot tub Lodges are are extremely popular and we are glad that you enjoyed this facility - we would be delighted if you choose to stay with us in the future and can gladly show you around all the facilities so that you can get the most out of your stay.
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews I was very worried to ve staying here but can say its not that bad.... we stayed for a weekend, got a very cheap deal and everything was average for the price even if only staying for the two nights like I did... the park is very tired and lots of work needs doing which hope that will be done as soon as nicer weather returns. The entertainment was very poor and not much was open on the park but tbf its low season. I would return if there is a good special offer/ deal on as its a great location to visit the lakes without the high accommodation prices

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank deanopeace
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank's for your feedback - we have been affected by the recent stormy weather and when you stayed were just starting to get on top of outstanding works - I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy our entertainment as ordinarily they get very positive comments. We all look forward to seeing you in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I've recently stayed here for my sisters 30th birthday weekend we were looking for somewhere that slept a large group with a hot tub which this did when we first arrived there was a couple of bed sheets which were dirty but the reception lady replaced them (we had to change the beds) then we noticed they didn't give us a key to go outside to the hot tub so again we had to go & get one from reception. On the Saturday night our toilet over flooded so on the Sunday we had to tell reception so said it must be there weather (we had a lot of wind & rain through the weekend) someone came over within the hour & fixed it. On the Sunday night we headed into the bar & played the games they were doing bingo, tv quiz & stand up sit down between the 6 of us we walked away with £72.00 don't think the rest of the players were happy with us hehe. We never ate onsite so I can't comment on that but we did get fish & chips one night & an Indian another which was recommended by the reception (headon on the wall girl) she was very helpful & very friendly. The charlene was clean & so was the grounds, apart from the few minor things we had a great 3 nights away it's what you make of it really.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kate J
Hagans L, Public Relations Manager at Solway Holiday Village, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we are please that you had a good time and won plenty on the bingo, hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Golf Hotel
Stanwix Park Holiday Centre
Green View Guest House
Green View Guest House
#1 of 3 in Silloth

Been to Solway Holiday Village? Share your experiences!