“Nicer than it looks!”
Review of Golf Hotel

Golf Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silloth
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Looking for somewhere to stay in Silloth I was initially put off by the external appearance- some peeling paint, but was pleasantly surprised when we stayed. Our room was lovely- those on the first floor have been refurbished- with a huge bathroom and view over the green. Breakfast and dinner were both good, and the staff were friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda S
GaryConlan, General Manager at Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2014

Thanks for posting your recent review.

It's very nice to hear that your room was lovely and bathroom huge with good views. It's also good to know that your breakfast and dinner were both good and my team were friendly and helpful.

Please do return soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Fine for a night or two. Lovely view over the green. Decor a bit tired. Breakfast very good. Evening meal ok. Service good in morning but ok and could be better in evening. Not much to do in Silloth in the evening but lovely level walk along the sea front with views to Criffel.

Room Tip: Stairs to 2nd floor are hard to cope with for middle aged elderly people but good view over Silloth...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GaryConlan, General Manager at Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Thanks for posting your recent review.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The Golf Hotel is an excellent hotel with great staff and fine food. A perfect location in Silloth. My only suggestion would be to cover the skylights in the summer months in order to keep the rooms darker.

Room Tip: Away from the front of the hotel as it is on a busy street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting such a lovely review.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had eaten at this hotel previously and that's why we stayed due to the lovely food. The room we stayed in was good in size but was not clean and full of dust. I mentioned this to staff when departing. The receptionist asked me to show the house keeper the issues which I did and was advised it gets dusty as they leave the windows open. At this stage I showed her the fur balls on the phone and amount of dust in the bathroom and bedroom skirting boards which in my opinion was over a weeks dust. When we arrived the carpets had clearly not been hovered in a week and marks on the bathroom floor as well. Morale of the story is ,if you make a comment "I was shocked how dirty the room was for £120 a night" when you check out be ready for an unpleasant house keepers raft. An apology would have been nice.
I could not mention this before as the Friday night, three restaurant staff working and covering a bar as well as seventy plus covers. We left early sat and no reception staff to discuss as only covered I believe between 7 - 2 but I may be wrong. Again the three restaurant staff were manic on Saturday, hence why I mentioned it on check out on Saturday.

All over staff were very pleasant and helpful and are a real credit to the hotel as the staff do not stop in the restaurant and are a real asset to this hotel.

I would stay again as the location and food is great but value for money on this room is not great but you are limited in the area.

Suggest a job swop for a day with the restaurant staff and house keeper as restaurant defiantly know how to treat a customer .

Room Tip: We stayed in number 3 above the front door on the first floor. A note in the room advises expect noi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting your recent review. Your feedback is invaluable to us and very helpful.

We will ensure our dusting is maintained to the highest standards as the majority of guests inform us our hotel is very clean.

Our carpets are vacuumed on a daily basis as is testament to the number of vacuum cleaner bags used per week. Please allow me to apologise, but I was advised by both Receptionist and Housekeeper that your phone and window ledge were the only issues raised, now you state the whole room was not clean and full of dust.

I was, however, pleased to hear that you found my team to be very pleasant and helpful and an asset to our hotel.

On your return visit, please do contact me personally and I will oversee your stay.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here overnight as we we're playing at Siloth Golf Club the next day. Staff we're very friendly and the cooked breakfast fab! Stayed here before and would sty again. Bathroom a bit jaded now, but still clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting your recent review.

It's lovely to hear that you had another enjoyable stay.

Please return soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

The hotel was adequate for our needs, but pricey for the quality offered. We had an 'executive, room on the rear of the first floor which was on the small size and unfortunately had the kitchen extractor fan immediately outside. The view from the window was of scruffy flat roofs. The decor in the room was tired and scuffed in parts and in the bathroom the bath panel was hanging off. The cooked breakfast was large and tasty, though the fresh fruit etc had been used up and not replenished. The breakfast room had large damp patches up near the ceiling though. I gather the hotel is up for sale. If someone invested in upgrading this building and restoring it to its Victoian splendour it could be very popular.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting your recent review.

I am afraid I cannot concur with your statement "the view from the window was of scruffy flat roofs". We have a clean well maintained flat roof to the rear of our Hotel, it is a flat roof however but certainly not scruffy. We recently had to remove all our bath panels as we were dealing with a water issue, they have now all been refitted satisfactorily. There is evidence of scuff marks to the wall at the room door caused by guests' luggage and will be touched up. The rest of the room décor is extremely fresh and in very good order.

I have asked our breakfast team to keep a close eye on stock levels on our buffet table.

The current owners have invested more than £500,000 in the Hotel during their tenure, this, I'm sure you will agree, is not small change. On the evening of your stay the Hotel was fully booked therefore, I am at a loss as to your comment "it could be very popular".

I am, however, very glad you enjoyed your large and tasty breakfast.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Have stayed in much better for £ 50 charged here, breakfast was good though. Would only consider revisiting if hotel went through renovation. The rooms on first floor are said to be much nicer but the room I had should not have been £50, £20 more like. Shower took ages to warm up and bed was uncomfortable as it probably needs a new mattress.Carpets upstairs are threadbare and also a scampish aroma.

• Stayed: July 2014
GaryConlan, General Manager at Golf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Thanks for posting your recent review. I am very sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay. Please contact me personally on your next visit and I will ensure you have a fantastic experience.

Kind Regards

Gary P Conlan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Silloth
Queensberry Arms Hotel
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Greenhill Hotel
Greenhill Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wigton

Been to Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!