“Fantastic Weekend Spot”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunchurch
“Fantastic Weekend Spot”
Reviewed November 24, 2010

This place is fantastic!

The main lodge is gorgeous with an amazing interior, nice bar, awesome wrap around deck and beautiful views of the lake.

Anybody who had issues with the staff here is CRAZY. George and Jody treated us like family and catered to our every need. They constantly went out of their way for us even when it was quite busy.

I will agree that the cottages were a bit dated (not dirty though) but who wants to spend time indoors in Cottage Country in the summer anyway?

Basically there is everything that you could want here: Great service, good food, beautiful lake, a nice beach, boat to rent and the list goes on

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JBURNSY

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Pick an apartment in the slummiest part of the ghetto in your city, have the tenants take out all their personal belongings except for the furniture, bedspreads and pillows and send in a couple of 8 year olds to clean it with a vacuum that doesn’t work, then move in for a week. Oh – and make sure a few big hairy dogs have been living in there, shedding all over and urinating on the carpet. Sound appealing? If not, then don’t rent a cottage at Whitestone Lake Resort. We were absolutely disgusted with the cleanliness of the cottages, cobwebs and spiders EVERYWHERE, at least 10 daddy long legs hanging in the ceilings of each bedroom.......the smell of dogs penetrated everywhere, it was like a nightmare. I’m not even going to complain about the mouse that ran across the kitchen floor or the cockroaches in the bathroom because that’s totally something I am prepared to deal with in a cottage. But if I’m getting charged $850.00 to stay there for a week, the least they could do is give me a place that’s been cleaned in the last 5 years. The only positive thing was the beach area, in all fairness it was nice with lounge chairs on the beach and the main lodge was fine, some of the people in our group stayed in the lodge suites and didn’t have any major complaints. We ate at the lodge restaurant and were very impressed with the meals but for the life of me I can’t figure out how the owners can rent out cottages in this condition. All it would take is a good cleaning and definitely rip out all the musty, rotten carpet and replace with flooring that can be washed down if you’re going to allow people to keep their big stinky dogs in the units. Pick up some leather sofas at an auction or kijiji and it would make a huge difference. The cottages do NOT get cleaned, EVER. The windowsill above the kitchen sink was full of dead flies and bugs, very appetizing. Pubic hair all over the bathtub that I had to bathe my kids in, (good thing I brought my own bleach!) I cannot express enough how disgusting the cottages were. I am by all means not high maintenance and I don’t expect much when staying at a cottage resort, I’ve rented many cottages in my life and I am fully prepared for older appliances and tacky furniture etc but this totally took the cake. My husband goes to dirty old fishing camps way up north that he wouldn’t consider bringing his wife and kids to and he said he’s seen cleaner conditions there. I cringed whenever my toddler walked in the cottage without shoes. You could just feel the allergens in your throat and nose from all the dust, pet hair and filth in the carpet. I heard through the grapevine that this is the last year they are renting the cottages out because they are being bulldozed, so understandably they aren’t investing anything into them but I feel like we got ripped off by paying what we did to stay in these dumps.......they should be charging $300 per week MAX. I could have stayed in the lodge for almost the same price and certainly would have chosen that above the cottages if I had any idea they were in this condition. And I might add that the lodge suites left much to be desired as well as far as cleanliness......the coffee pot needed to cleaned before using it because it was dirty and the bathrooms weren’t exactly spotless, makes me cringe as far as what else gets overlooked by the cleaning crew that we can’t see. I would rate this as a 2 star hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank molly_loves

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

Port Rowan, Ontario
Reviewed July 20, 2010

resort is beautiful, looked much better than photos. relaxing...owners went over and beyond to make our stay wonderful.. chef was amazing.. will come back with friends and family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2010

On a first time snowmobile trip, our small group picked Whitestone Lodge because it fitted our needs rather than anything else. What a surprise! Jody was amazing, a perfect host who treated us like family. It was like we had the whole place to ourselves.

We arrived just in time to watch the Canada/USA Olympic final and the place and experience is seared into our memories. For 2 days we used the lodge as our base, traveling up to to Port Loring for lunch and back.

Wonderful, just wonderful.

The food was wonderful, the selection of wines perfect and the service was fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank GBBoy
parry sound
Reviewed February 12, 2010

hostess/waitress would not allow us to sit at a window table for 6 because there was only 2 of us when the place was almost empty and lunch time was almost over and people were leaving used to be a favorite spot for lunch but will never be back

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank sledderParrySound
Reviewed January 5, 2010

A complete nightmare

I still cannot believe that in Canada exists this kind of place. I could not even imagine of any place more dirty and stinking that this one. First of all the cabin was too SMALL to accommodate 4 families. That cabin is for 8 peoples, we were 16. Even that we’ve booked the cabin in advance and the host was aware of our number, we’ve end it up in this situation and we couldn’t change anything. More than that the whole cabin is old, what I’m saying? Old is a nice word, ancient, same attribute for the furniture and appliances. But what was unbelievable was the dirty. Everything was soiled and clearly sign of mice was everywhere, starting from the bed sheets, night table to fridge (EVERYWHERE). STAY WAY FROM THIS PLACE

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank HTToronto
Reviewed January 3, 2010

Hello everybody! Stay as far away of this resort as possible. We booked our cottage, for New Years Eve, three month in advance and we asked them for accommodations for seven families. They told us that we need 2 cottages. When we got there the nightmare started. The cottage was very small, too small for four families. Everybody had young kids, from 1 and a half year old to 13 years old. There were seven kids in total. The kitchen and the washrooms were very dirty. All the appliances were old and very dirty, the strove didn’t work. In the rooms we found mice feces everywhere, on the bad on the pillows, on the night table. The mattresses, the pillows and the blankets were so filthy and smelly we were afraid to touch them. We went to talk with the administrator to come to clean up a little bit but she brought us a vacuum cleaner and some Clorox and she said that Tuesday when she turned on the hit everything looked nice an clean an she doesn’t know what happened and she left. The vacuum worked for 5 minutes and then it broke down. She came again and she took it away and we didn’t see her face again. Due to the fact that we arrived at 5 o’clock pm it was too late to drive back home because we live in Toronto. We left first thing in the morning. This was indeed the worst vacation of our life! Even if there is a nice scenery we couldn’t enjoy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank Romanita99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Comfort Inn
#2 of 11 in Parry Sound
Town & Country Motel
Town & Country Motel
#5 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to The Whitestone? Share your experiences!