“Treated Like Dirt!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunchurch
Wainfleet, Ontario
“Treated Like Dirt!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

I was visiting this establishment with two of my good friends and we ended up going for wings on a tuesday night. We were on our snowmobiles and i parked my sled on the snowbank in front of the entrance. While we were waiting for our food the waitress came and informed me that my sled was parked on the handicapped ramp and that i need to move it. First of all i was parked on a 6 foot snow bank so who knew there was a handicap ramp beneath my sled. Anyway i went and moved my snowmobile and apoligized. The next thing i knew the owner George came out screaming at me and making a big scene. I explained to him that i was sorry and did not realize that there was a handicap ramp beneath my sled. If the ramp didn't have 6 feet of snow on it and was shovelled off so that someone could actually use it then this would not happen again. He still kept making a scene. We ended up leaving this lodge and will not return ever again. I would not reccomend this place to anyone unless you want to get treated poorly!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Dave L

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

We booked a room in the lodge for 2 nights back in early September 2011. The room was large and clean apron arrival with a great view of the lake. Unfortunatly that was the "highlight" of the time spent there.... That night we learned how uncomfortable the bed was and forget moving around in it cause it seems like the bed frame is going to fall apart! After waking up we went down and had breakfast which was pretty good, then we asked the girl at the desk if they could bring us fresh towels since we were heading out for the day and wouldn't be back till late Saturday night she said that wasn't a problem and we headed out. We didn't return to the lodge till around 12:30-1:00 am where we found our key didn't work (both of them).... I tried calling the resort apx 10 times I went for a walk to try and find anyone that could help, after walking around the place and calling I finally got a hold of the owner and told her that we had been locked out of our room. She told me on the phone that the locks/cards get changed daily and made it seem like I was the idiot here for not knowing that, she then told me it sit, wait, and she'd be there in 15 mins.... Not like we had a choice.... After she let us in the room we learned not to leave the door to the deck close because it is your only source of fresh air and it turns the room into a sauna since the only AC is in the main lodge and not the rooms. Now the problem with leaving your door open is your neighbours are 2 feet away and if they have kids and have their door open you get to hear everything!!! So at 7 am on Sunday we were left with the choice of; shut the door for a little silence (not that it really helps) but turn the room into a sauna or leave it open and enjoy the screaming child.... We went with the sauna... Lol. So after an hour of sweeting in bed I had enough and went into the bathroom to shower where guess what I found.....? No clean towels and no hot water.... That was it we packed up and left a soon as we could. The sad part is its a nice looking resort on a great lake, I've heard the cottagers avoid this place and I now know why.... Since then we now stay at Ahmic Lake Resort down the road!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Chris N

Travelers are raving about these Dunchurch hotels

ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

Please save yourself and money the remarks of this place of being good in any way is false and there crazy!!!!

If the owners like you, You will get treated well. Why they like certain people is beyond me. Very weird resort and we were not liked for what ever reason.

Our family that was coming to meet us later we stated as we called from a local convience store that something is wrong and not to show up. Our family was insulted thinking we were not wanting them to come down but they did show up and found out first hand of the nasty rude disrespectful owners they were.

Everyone at the resort was obviously directed not to serve us as they seem very concerned that were even sat down at the table. We will never forget the comment the waitress said which was "hold on a minute let me get the owner"

The owner showed up and stated no we can't serve you maybe when everyone else is done we can have the left overs. Are you SERIOUSLY kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am honestly telling you people all the bad comments are true please stay away from this dump so called resort. I been to many places and I have never ever ever seen this disgusting dump or even legal to be able to run for sanitary reason never mind the treatment you get.

If I can save one family's holidays on this website I am so greatful. I honestly to my heart am telling the 150% truth if you still you'll be very sorry.

Please please please take this message seriously and to your heart cause I have no other reason to write this.

keep look anywhere is better then that dump!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay the hell away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank speedergoalie1
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed in the lodge, not the cottages that are actually being torn down for timeshares. FYI there is no a/c in the rooms so if you go on one of those extra humid days the rooms become like saunas. The rooms were fairly large with sitting rooms and shower only in the washroom. They all have balconies with a couple of chairs and a gorgeous lake view. They had a little store and boat rental which was nice, and a small beach. It is family run, so the check in desk isn't always manned, and there are no phones in the rooms to call for any service, if you have your own phone and don't mind calling long distance you can call the resort#. However the food served is good, and the portions are very generous.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank bikeridergirl
Parry Sound, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

We arrived on our snow machines mid afternoon. It took two and a half hours to get our room (there were four other people at the "resort"). But this is not the real dissatisfaction. Upon arrival we rode our sleds over the septic system (it was not signed or marked). We went into the lodge and one of the owners (wife) told us what we had done, we apologized and she was satisfied. Almost immediately after this, the husband came out of a back room and said (rudely) "you just ran over my septic system". I stated that his wife had informed us of this and had already apologized. He got more ignorant and said "well you folks from Toronto do not understand that in the country we have septic systems". I informed him I was not from Toronto and if he had signs, it would not have happened. He continued to argue and was rude. Even though the food was awesome, it is not enough to ever make me return to this "resort"

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank LanceU
Barrie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in January for a snowmobiling weekend.

The food at the lodge is amazing. Breakfast is great (best hash browns ever) and the dinner menu was a shock..... completely gourmet: steak, lobster, pickeral, mussels etc

Not to mention a great bar to warm up after a long day of riding

The lodge itself is very a impressive building.....even if you are just stopping in for lunch you won't find anything like this place for miles

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D0nnaMae
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

This place is fantastic!

The main lodge is gorgeous with an amazing interior, nice bar, awesome wrap around deck and beautiful views of the lake.

Anybody who had issues with the staff here is CRAZY. George and Jody treated us like family and catered to our every need. They constantly went out of their way for us even when it was quite busy.

I will agree that the cottages were a bit dated (not dirty though) but who wants to spend time indoors in Cottage Country in the summer anyway?

Basically there is everything that you could want here: Great service, good food, beautiful lake, a nice beach, boat to rent and the list goes on

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JBURNSY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunchurch
Parry Sound Inn and Suites
#1 of 1 in Sundridge
Tornado's Canadian Resorts
Tornado's Canadian Resorts
#1 of 5 in Port Loring

Been to The Whitestone? Share your experiences!