Rincon del Socorro
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbuenos aireswonderful placeworld classmarsh deerconservation workhorseback ridesmain buildingfood is excellentboat ridestar hotelconservation landwonderful staffcommon areasroam freelylocal wildlifedirt roadwonderful stay
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My only regret is that I was ONLY here for two nights and nearly 3 days. But Mighu, my excellent guide and I optimised the time with morning, evening and night activities. We searched so hard for an armadillo but I eventually found one in the hedge around my cabin! It was footling for grubs in the dead leaves making grumpy grunts as it hunted. The horse ride was excellent across the pampas grassland and off piste too wading through water and weaving between huge grass tussocks. We rode with the the main researcher for the great anteaters, Carina, and her beautiful mare which she is schooling on beautifully. The amount of information I gleaned over these few days was excellent and as I am a wildlife guide and rider too the standards I expect are very high. Mighu took me boating and canoeing - brilliant, the habitats we visited and the knowledge communicated added to my list of species even after a week in a different part the Ibera marshlands! I did enjoy the way the activities were adjusted to your skills and experience - I am sorry I did not take an aeroplane ride over the area and that was not obviously on offer.

I loved my little cabin - it was quite small so no room for yoga and the bathroom was definately quirky! loved the shower head, the huge basin and the pull chain, not so sure about the ageing bidet??? But the bed was wonderful and being able to open each of the windows at night without fear of being munched by mosquitoes so you can hear all the night noises was a delight. So going to sleep with displaying male Great Rheas booming around the estate in chorus with the frogs and cicadas was one of the bonuses of my visit as was the gentle fresh air wafting through the mesh.

Valeria and Lesley were and are brilliant and totally charming even when I accidentally upset Lesley's morning Mate! All the staff looked after me very well. I will return with a little more knowledge of Spanish!! Decor was wonderful, loved the tiling and the herb soaps, the quality dark wood, the huge black and white photographs of Argentinian wildlife around the walls. Squidgy lose -ourself-in-the-cushions-sofas-too - just everything carefully thought out and nicely presented, even the fans are beautifully carved and of the best quality. I wish in some ways that I could be here in the spring when the temperatures are cool enough to warrant lighting the log fire, the atmosphere with a group of people must be excellent. I was here on my own so got lots of attention but was wholly dependant on the staff for company.
An example of the small attention to detail - was my request for mint tea. No mint tea bags - oh no! but instantly Andrea understood and disappeared in to the kitchen and appeared with mint from the garden and hot water to make my own fresh mint leaf tea infusion - delicious.

It was quite a shock when the lights went out at night time as Denise did not tell me that was going to happen but I had a torch and found my matches and the candles. I support the efforts to conserve fuel use with the generators so all was well once I had worked out what was happening. The food was beautifully presented and delicious. The vegetables are all fresh from the organic garden and are wonderful and 'ping' with taste and juiciness. The meat was truly excellent. So all in all an excellent place to stay in. Important to stay at least 4 days and nights remembering that the roads do make it a challenge to get to but also emphasises the remoteness and rare beauty of the area. Wonderful to know that the company is supporting the research and re-introductions of pampas deer, great anteaters and jaguar back to the Ibera marshes. Exciting and necessary good science.

Room Tip: my cabins has a huge king or queen bed and cupboards and clothes hanging space was adequate for one. I did not look at the other rooms but some lead out onto the verandah to the swimming pool and get the evening sunset through the trees. All are on the groundfloor, all are surrounded by trees and landscaping. I loved the monk parakeets that are quiet at night times. The Rheas & the forgs & crickets sang me to sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank anna s
RincondelSocorro, Encargada de Reservas at Rincon del Socorro, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Anna,
What a nice review about your visit to Rincón del Socorro! Thanks to appreciate our work on every detail and to mention the conservation efforts of the fundation in the wetlands.
See you in the future to enjoy everything that you could not do on this occasion.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

After a 3 week holiday travelling through several parts of Argentina (all wonderful) I have to write to say what a fantastic time we had at Rincon del Socorro. It is so peaceful, beautiful and friendly and a paradise for people interested in wildlife. Bird watching with a fantastically knowledgeable guide was wonderful and his equally delightful brother took us on the most tranquil, scenic boat trip on the lagoon and found caiman, birds and howler monkeys just feet away. The flight to the Estancia from Corrientes in a Cessna was unforgettable, as was the 12 hour road trip (our planned flight got cancelled due to a storm) to Iguazu on mud roads impossible to have imagined. Our driver even made this a day to remember for the right reasons! During our 3 night stay we saw 100s of birds, also caiman, capybaras, howler monkeys, anaconda, marsh and brocket deer, chinchillas and grey foxes, sunsets and huge horizons. I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank harleybobs

Dear Richard,
Nice to hear you have enjoyed your stay at Rincón del Socorro. We are sorry you couldn`t fly to Iguazú, planes are sometimes the fastest way to get to anywhere but bad weather conditions can often make impossible to fly with these small planes.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

it doesn't get better than this. After a 3H ride from Posadas airport on rough roads, we arrived at Rincon del Socorro, paradise in the middle of nowhere. Really everything is amazing, the rooms, the decoration, the food, the surroundings and last but not least the people, so kind, so helpful, ... And then the wildlife, without a doubt "above expections", it's all over the place and so abundant. Capibaras, nandu's, armadillo's, marsh deer, caiman, chincilla's, foxes, howler monkey's, ... you get to see them all, up and close, really amazing. We spent 2 nights in Rincon del Socorro, 3 would have been better!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bart v

Dear Bart,
Thanks to share your comments. We are glad to know everything went right and you had 2 nice days with us.
We wait for a longer stay in the future.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We've just returned from a 3-day family trip (12 of us in total, 3 kids under 8) to Rincon del Socorro, and words cannot even begin to express what a wonderful place this is. Imagine a landscape between the South African Bush and the Florida Everglades, wild and filled with fauna and flora, all within an impeccable lodge with beautiful decor, soft sheets, verbena-scented soap, and friendly and attentive 5-star service.

An easy and scenic 7 hour drive from Buenos Aires (you can take a plane if you want), is followed by a 1.5 hr SUV ride to the lodge. We left our cars in Mercedes, in a parking lot, and booked the transfers (SUV) to the estancia, a much easier option than driving, since rain can render the road difficult to drive (unless you're a seasoned mud driver). The lodge also has a couple of airstrips for small planes, if you're so adventure inclined.

Wildlife watching is almost immediate - nandues (a type of South American ostrich), Carpinchos (large, pig-like rodent), and tons of beautiful birds can be found just on the side of the road. Once you get to the lodge, these animals calmly graze around the grounds, perfectly comfortable with guests (don't pet them!). All throughout your trip, you'll see birds of all types - bright cardinals, soaring vultures, and everything in between. Also small foxes, alligators (called yacares), willy viscachas (similar to chinchillas), armadillos, swamp deer, small deer, howler monkeys, the list is endless!

Activities include boat rides on the swamp to spot alligators, fun and easy horseback rides with horses for both experienced and amateur rides (my 6-year-old niece had no problem riding the horses, all very tame), hikes, night safaris, plus siesta times by the pool. The guides are mostly local, super friendly, and very knowledgable of the terrain, fauna and flora. They answered all of our questions thoughtfully and humorously. You can also request a small plane ride to view the wetlands from above, the lodge has two experienced pilots. The planes landing at sunset gave the lodge a very cool, Out of Africa vibe!

The lodge itself is large, consisting of a main house with several rooms, and some cottages dotting the garden that offer more privacy and romance. All the rooms are large, well-appointed, decorated in good taste, with screened windows for bugs (not one mosquito bite!) and fans for the heat. The view from all the rooms, of the grounds of the lodge, is breathtaking. Meals are delicious (the lodge has an organic vegetable garden), abundant, and they can tailor the menu for special diets (we had a vegetarian with celiac disease in our party, a challenge deliciously met by the chef). The main house has wifi, which was a pleasant surprise, and a well-stocked library. No TV - and you won't miss it!

Everyone - from the maids to the lodge managers Valeria and Leslie - was wonderful, fun, and attentive without being intrusive. It was a great off-the-grid experience without sacrificing any comfort. My smaller nieces and nephew enjoyed every minute of the adventure, so this is definitely a "fun for all ages" trip, don't hesitate to go whether alone, as a couple, or with smaller kids (disclaimer: the kids in our party were all used to the outdoors).

We had such a great time, we'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: Room 6 (last one) on the main lodge has the best view, in my opinion. Request a cottage if you're traveling as a couple, you'll have more privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank albermaria

Dear Albermaria,
We are amazed reading such a warm and detailed comment about your stay with us.
With this kind of experience we realize that our work can sometimes achieve not only exceed expectations, but also the satisfaction of making memorable experiences, which is always our goal.
We hope to have you visiting the wetlands any other time.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have just spent an amazing time at Rincon del Socorro. It is a beautiful lodge in an amazing location. The staff is very friendly and the food is outstanding. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an out of the beaten trek destination with adventure and comfort.
The vegetable and salad in the hotel meals come from their organic garden. It was so fresh!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
RincondelSocorro, Encargada de Reservas at Rincon del Socorro, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Great comments, thank you very much!! It´s always nice to feel that we did a good job achieving unforgettable experiences!