“Great overnight”

Tsitsikamma Village Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Storms River
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed over with my wife and two children (14 and 12) in interleading rooms en route from East London to Cape Town. Arrived at 3pm and was gven an excellent reference for a 2 hour outing to Tsitsikammma National Park. Had excellent burgers at Marilyn's Diner, just beat my son at pool, and slept well in our very comfortable rooms before setting off after a delicious breakfast. Great service in a quaint hotel. Only criticisms were that the pool, while still fully functional and clean etc, needs some aesthetic attention, and one of our pool cues did not have a tip!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
VillageInnHotel, Owner at Tsitsikamma Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for choosing to break your trip in this little spot of paradise, and yes, our burgers are a hit! Your feedback on the swimming pool area, as well as the cue tip, is greatly constructive and plans are already afoot in the garden of the pool surrounds. Sorry about the cue tip, which has also been recitified immediately, We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Wilma

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed in Tsistikamma Village Inn for one night in December 2012. This hotel probably has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I booked a room a couple of days in advance through Expedia. On checking out I was told that the room had not been paid for. I explained to the receptionist that I had given Expedia my credit card details and asked her to double check the charge. She confirmed the room had not been paid for and explained that Expedia take the card details but don't actually charge. Although I found this unusual I had no choice but to accept what they told me and paid. When I got back to the UK and received my credit card bill I found that Expedia had charged me upon booking and I had therefore been charged twice. Moreover Expedia's charge for the room was about GBP60 and the hotel's direct charge was about GBP80. I spoke to Expedia and also called the hotel and spoke to Sherlaine. I was promised an email from Sherlaine within 2-3 days after she looked into the matter, which I never received. I called the hotel and spoke to Sherlaine again and once again she promised to get back to me, this time within two days. I didn't hear from her again. Thereafter I sent an email and this was not replied to. I received a refund from Expedia although I did request it from the hotel and now I've ended up paying about GBP20 more. I am disgusted and appalled that the Village Inn has such a poor customer service and I feel ripped off that I paid more than necessary. I would definitely not recommended staying here since the staff are untrustworthy and dishonest. There are several other hotels in the area to choose from and I would recommend staying in one of those.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deven12345

Dear Deven 12345, thank you so much for your feedback. Although this is not what we would like to hear, we do accept full responsibility. Our policy is to learn from our mistakes and, in order to make sure this never happens again, proactive steps have been taken. Please accept our sincere apology and be assured of improved service. Kind regards, Wilma

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We ate at the restaurant, the food, service and atmosphere was out of this world! The garden and old buildings are well looked after! Its a beautiful area, and really a must see if you're in the Tsitikamma!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thanks so much for such positive feedback. We do love to hear from our guests, not only as a sense of pride in our beautiful "home" but also to hear that our guests have felt welcome and comfortable - which is our main desire. Please come again soon. Kind regards, Wilma

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent 1 night at this property and at first glance only found it very charming and quaint with a nice feel to it. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathrooms I felt could have done with some renovation as they appeared very stark and not that attractive. We stayed in the Queen room of the honeymoon rooms. The breakfast was a nice big spread and was quite tasty. We had a burger and coffee at the Hunters Bar for an evening snack which was quite tasty and undoubtedly one of the best cappuccinos we had during our stay in SA. Wish this coffee was offered during breakfast instead of instant coffee. Overall - comfortable stay
Do eat at Martha's diner right outside the property - very retro, great music and good food.

Room Tip: We chose the honeymoon room, quite spacious and nice
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

What a great way to describe us. Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We have noted and taken each of your points to heart, and when you visit us next time (which we hope you do soon), I am sure you will find we are always making improvements to ensure best quality and service for our guests. Kind regards, Wilma.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in a premier room and had a very relaxing time. Rooms are comfortable, reasonably appointed and clean. The part of the inn that we stayed in faces onto a lovely lawn that leads into the dining hall.

While there is nothing wrong with the rooms in general, they are starting to look a bit worn and in need of a refresh.

Room Tip: Book a premier room on the top floor for the best experience.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

We are so happy that your stay was a good one, and thank you too for your constructive and positive comments. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests that we can constantly maintain and improve upon our service and quality. Please come again soon. Kind regards, Wilma

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Spent 2 nights during high season at the lodge. Very chilled, relax atmosphere. Peak season, Inn is busy and still Irma and Chris are paying attention to individual requests on a very professional level. Staff is in training, everybody moving and friendly. Rooms are spacious, clean, TV, aircon, safe, big garden and pool. Had dinner at Marilyns 60's diner and De Oude Martha - both places offer delicious food with different types of atmosphere. Much more than I was hoping for in the little village. Had a great time there1

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
VillageInnHotel, Owner at Tsitsikamma Village Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Frogy007,

Trust you are well, and that you are loving your trip in SA!

We'd like to thank you for your feedback as this means a lot to us.

Take care. Kind regards, Irma

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The site is nicely laid out round a square with flower beds and behind the restaurant/reception building there is a duck pond set in more gardens.

We chose a barn room and it was spacious and comfortable. The online information was slightly wrong in that there was no safe in the room, but reception offered to hold any valuables in their safe, however the wifi was free rather than charged which was a plus. There was an excellent same day laundry service. The staff made this into a very friendly place to stay.

The range and quality of food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. The area had several activities on offer as well as scenic walking places on the doorstep, leaflets are available on site.

The only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that the new owners are still carrying out improvements and so a few areas still need finishing off.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear FranEgyptUK,

Thank you so much for your feedback, which we appreciate. I'll most certainly have a look at updating the online information.

We hope you had a wonderful holiday in our beautiful SA!

Looking forward to your next visit!

Kind regards,

#1 of 5 in Storms River
Storms River Guest Lodge
Storms River Guest Lodge
#3 of 5 in Storms River

Been to Tsitsikamma Village Inn? Share your experiences!