“BEST breakaway EVER!”

Dijembe Backpackers Hostel
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“BEST breakaway EVER!”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

My girlfriend and myself travel and camp a lot..This summer we decided to try something different to our tent and chalets.. We saw this welcoming website of Dijembe and without doubt that this would be amazing, we booked telephonically.. When we arrived, we stepped into a homely, friendly reception.. Two days later all we can say is : BEST BREAKAWAY EVER! Everything is super clean and the rooms and cottage that we stayed in are beautiful! Unfortunately we did not have time to do all the wonderful activities that was offered, but we will next time. We are sad to leave, but we take with us new friendships made by the name of Brad, Helena and Attie!! Thank you guys for an amazing time! And also we take with us the tranquility, braai fires and warmness of Dijembe Backpackers! We highly recommend Dijembe Backpackers to anyone who loves nature and adventure!! We'll be back soon!!! Annie & Marionette Grobler

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Leeuwarden
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Even though we booked Dijembe at the very last moment cause we made some booking mistakes, it was really worth it.The beds were comfortable and the place was clean, we stayed in the guest house which was a short walk from the central location.

It was quiet and the environment was great we also met some nice people here.

There is lots to do in the surrounding area (the national park, big tree and of course the worlds tallest bungee bridge) So you don't have to be bored.

There was a slight issue with double booking but it got solved professionally.

Overall it is value for money and it was a very good stay

We look forward to visit the area again since we still like to take part in many more activities that the national park has to offer, and will return to Dijembe when we do so.

Room Tip: If you like to party go for the main complex, if you like to relax go for the guest house.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank The_dude_1984_Kees
Munich, Germany
Reviewed November 16, 2011

For EVERYONE who's travelling through SA, this is a MUST-STOP!
The atmosphere you get is unbelivable! The food is tasty! The people are so friendly and have a nonstop awesomness!!! ;)
You can do THE bungeejump in Tsitsikamma, travel to the BIG TREE and do a variety of other activities. Every breath you take is like "YEAH! I took the right choice!"
It's not even to late to play the drums ;)
So guys, if you travel along the coast, don't forget to stay at Dijembe.
You have to meet Bred, Helena and Severiano!
My favourite backpackers!!! I love Dijembe and my hat :P
Greets ;)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex_The_Great_89
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I wasnt planning on staying in storms river but i am so glad i did. Dijembe backpackers has got to be my favourite place in south africa so far has a great vibe and is very cosy. i only stayed one night but wish i could of stayed longer the staff are very friendly but proffesional at the same time.We all played the africain drums and then went in to the nice warm jacuzzi which was a new experience i loved this place and would recommend this it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2011

What can I tell you about Dijembe backpackers in storms river...I planed to stay there for one night and ended up spending 4 joyful days and probably the best ones of my entire trip to South Africa..
The first impression that I got when I stepped in there was that I felt at home, 3 lovely dogs jump on you to hug you and asking you to play with them, then the music playing in the bar (which is a south african music) was captivating, then you look at the walls and you see thousands of backpackers who were there and expressing how much they loved the place.
Atte, the manager who was there at the first day, has that smily face that just brings a fresh happiness to the hostel. I then moved to the dorms to drop my backpack and on the way I had that strange feeling that I knew this place since a long time!...the decoration is so out of the box, completely natural, real wood unpainted, a relaxed combination of useful stuff and decoration which is so captivating, the dorm are very spacious, the beds big enough to comfortably receive a 1m88 tall person, the bed itself is so relaxing. I dropped my backpack and moved around, again I had this strange feeling of being at home, the dogs where there waiting for me to play with them, I went to the balcony and found this out of the box organization of furniture, a nice jaccuzi that I used only on the 4th day. I couldn't stop smiling because I was surprised how an unrated hostel could be so captivating, so innovative, so peaceful, and made me hear my breathing!!!! And strangely enough I red on the wall someone saying "can't forget the deep breath!!".
During the days I was doing the outdoors activities (stormsriver is the best place to stay in to do the main activities of the Garden route BTW). Once back at the evening, Atte was from time to time organizing a BBQ, there are wood seats just in front of the entrance with a fire that gives another taste to the night while enjoying the BBQ.

On the 3rd day, I did the tubing and I was a bit disappointed as the water level was not enough to give the excitement that one would expect from tubing(so my advise check the water level in advance). In the afternoon I met for the first time the owner (Brad) with his girl friend.
Brad is an unbelievably funny guy who brought another taste to my stay in Dijembe i.e he was telling us funny jokes and the story of Dijembe (how he bought it, how he made changes, how the rating authorities who refused to give a rating to Dijembe according to the standards asked him to not spoil the uniqueness if Dijembe just for the seek of rating!!!). BTW a couple from belgium who were there told me that they checked other backpackers in storms river but couldn't find such an ambiance!
We had a drums session at night and I couldn't stop laughing because it was so funny!!
So Brad offered me (with others) a jaccuzi. Because it was late and the jaccuzi needed time to get hot, he was bringing the hot water on his shoulder three or four times to the jaccuzi so that it gets warmer quickly. I really appreciated this friendly approach (rather than a business man who counts every peny) and this kind of things make you feel that you are hosted by a friend rather by an owner of a backpacker.

I was really sad during the last day as I was getting ready to leave..I felt I was leaving a family..

Finally, here are some quick facts to help you know more about the details of the stay:

- breakfast: standard as is most backpackers i.e. Bread, porage, tea, coffee, egg, milk
- hot shower and sanity services in good shape (except one day when the pump was broken and then is was replaced quickly)
- BBQ available each night but you need to inform Dijembe in advance is there is a small number of persons so that they contact the butchers on time
- laundry very cheap and efficient
- no swimming pool but honestly you don't need it there and you should rather enjoy the jaccuzi
- please bring a tennis ball to play with the dogs!!!

While finalizing this review I red the one made by "jerome" and I was extremely surprised because of the following

(i) during my stay I have never seen someone called jerome in the hostel;
(ii) Brad's girlfriend is german, and for someone who's used to deal with germans he will know that they have a "cold face", but it does not mean necessarily that they are rude. For me Brad's girl friend was very correct, she used to smile when there is a reason for that and talks normally as one would expect. I really did not get the point of Jerome.
(iii) Toilets and shower were always clean!! Same for the dorms!! We (i.e. Me and other backpackers in the dorms) used to say each morning that it has been a long time that we did not sleep like that!! Clean, quiet and calm!!.

I will definitely come back there one day for a longer period!!!!

Cheers

• Stayed November 2011
holland
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Booked at Jeffreys Bay and paid up front .Just couldnt leave Dijembe to make that booking.
Dijembe i like because it isnt too big and feels cosy and connecting to people is easy.

I LOVE this place_-al the wooden hand made things.Crazy inspiring employees.
Fresh farm milk and the Organised yet feeling they created of not too many rules.
Food_-Braai very very nice and more than enough to eat.

Room Tip: ask up front
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
everywhere
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed in this haven for four wonderful nights! All staff were so helpful and could not do enough for you. Brad the boss is a legend, his stories would have you cracking up for days! the impromtu drum lesson on the first night was such an amazing intro and it only got better!

We personally stayed a double room which was beautiful, but we were up with friends in their dorm rooms which were also clean, comfortable and well laid out. Brad and his team make every effort to be eco-friendly, recycle and reuse so there are many quirky details everywhere; eco-friendly paint, pebbles from the storms river as the shower tray, reclaimed wood is used for benches, copper piping used as shower curtain rails etc. just keep looking around you'll see so many personal touches. Everything is a rustic style but everything is well made and clean.Our favourite room by far was the lving room where the walls covered floor to ceiling with messages of love, appreciation and thanks from hundreds of satisfied customers. Our second fav was definitely the big camp fire which is lit most nights where everyone congregates exchanges stories and has the odd drumming session!

We felt so welcomed in the village and by everyone we met, 100% safe all the time, we had a lock we could put on our door if we wanted but it wasn't really necessary!

There are six other very special people to mention, the three gorgeous dogs who just want to play constantly, bar jess, shes a lady, and the three horses who are wonderful and placcid.

GO HERE!!!!