“Magical setting for a wedding & relaxing weekend breaks.”

Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Collingham
“Magical setting for a wedding & relaxing weekend breaks.”
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Spent time here with family for a weekend break.
The drive up to the hotel is beautiful, a winding country lane with Woodhall at the end,
This hotel enjoys magnificent views & provides a perfect backdrop for the all important wedding photos.
The room we had was well appointed, incredibly comfy bed and large too. A flat screen TV, tea & coffee making equipment., the all important safe, and a well appointed bathroom with lovely toiletries.
Slippers and towelling dressing gowns were also provided.
I did not use the spa facilities but my husband had a early morning pre-breakfast swim which he enjoyed.
Dinner was delicious served with a superb red wine & breakfast does deserve a special mention as the cooked breakfast was superb but there was also a variety of cold options & I liked the home made smoothie and their own honey from their grounds.
The most impressive part of our stay here was the professionalism of the staff, especially the waiting staff, they could not be faulted,
we were very impressed the staff were charming & efficient, other establishments need to take notes.
The only negative & this review would not be balanced with out it was the frayed edge to the hotel, scuffed skirtings in the suite they hold the weddings, carpet in the Georgian suite needs replacing and a little thought needs to go into reception, a welcoming area which is dull & dingy, it needs redecorating and fresh flowers.
in fact because of the worn appearance this hotel has I'm surprised it is a 4*, maybe it is because of the spa facilities.
The bar is overpriced, you are a captive market, poor real ale selection, I took a bottle of red with me & a couple of glasses after reading about bar prices here.
According to my son there was free wi-fi.
This is a beautifully situated hotel with amazing staff let down by some poor property maintenance & a rip-off bar.

• Stayed September 2013
GordonBurniston, General Manager at Wood Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your feedback following your recent visit to us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your room, dinner and breakfast and also your praise of the team here at Wood Hall, I will ensure I pass your kind comments on.

Thank you for your feedback about the property, we are continually investing in the property, we have recently finished the refurbishment of the Vavasour Suite in which we hold the wedding’s at the hotel albeit after your visit to us. We have also just extended our reception area which has enabled us to provide more decorative items for the desk. We have recently added some points of local interest with the help of my concierge colleague who has lived in the area for all his life. As your son discovered we have also just invested in Wi-Fi in all of the bedrooms which now compliments our public area access.

We are a four red star hotel and have been for many years which we are very proud which means we are in within the top 200 hotel within the country and is an inspector’s choice hotel for which we are regularly audited.

With regard to the bar prices we do regular checks with local competitors to ensure we are competitive with such like for like establishments, also we do not permit guests to bring their own alcohol onto the premises.

Thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary for one night. We went with the champagne package in a deluxe suite. I cannot fault this hotel, it was everything I dreamt of and then some! We stayed in the Hawthorne room, magnificent! Just like the pictures on the website. The staff were attentive and always happy to help. Food was second to none. The only downside to the weekend was that we had to come back to reality at the end! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your 10th anniversary visit to us.

I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your special visit to us, I’m glad you enjoyed room Hawthorne and also the food and service at the hotel. I hope you can stay longer next time.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

What a fantastic setting for a magnificent looking hotel The driveway to the hotel is majestic with views across the the lower Wharfe valley. The entrance and reception were quite stately with welcoming staff. We were booked into room 33 which was nice but slightly worn with some stains to the carpet by the window. After an hour is the pool and steam we retired back to the room and chilled out before the meal in the restaurant. The meal was exquisite with some fantastic flavours and tastes to tickle my taste buds and a nice bottle of bubbly that was iincluded in the midweek deal. Now this is where room 33 had a little surprise for us when we returned. The room was stifling hot all night with out the radiators on. I did notice on arrival there was a stand alone cool air blower in the room, now giving it some thought the room did not require any use of the central heating as the room was directly above the swimming area and more importantly the steam room!! If you want a hot steamy night make sure you get room 33. Now after a restless sleep I was looking forward to a lie in and breakfast in bed, I was rudely awakened at 830am by a gardene strimming directly under my window - oh the quiet countryside maybe not this time. The breakfast was in good order apart from the order was missing the black pudding. On check out the heat within the room was mentioned and the staff remarked the old hotel retained the heat!!! I am sure it does and it wouldnt have anything to do with the leisure complex below. Would I stay again? Possibly.

Room Tip: avoid 33 view was good but far too hot
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your September anniversary visit to us.

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and you enjoyed the setting of the hotel. Thank you for your feedback about the rooms, we are in the process of reviewing how we can improve the temperature of the rooms, we do have some rooms at the hotel which do have air conditioning.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on a mid week deal, great hotel with friendly staff, pool was small but clean, I booked some treatments for my husband and myself which was lovely and very professional however we did pay £40 for a half a hour treatment but it only lasted 20mins for some reason.

Rooms are very nice and the bed was so comfy I didn't want to get out of it, so we ordered breakfast in bed, and what a treat it was, two trays of fab food arrived ( ok it was 20mins late but who cares) .

Evening meal, yes it is a little slow but I think its just a very relaxed place where everything goes at a slower pace, the staff were so attentive to you, they made you feel very special.

Food was stunning, no more to be said on that matter.

Dining room is small but I liked that, with lovely relaxing classical music playing in the back ground ( could of been a bit louder so we could hear it better)

Drinks are a little expensive but we did expect that (£13 for two vodka and lemonade)

After returning to our room about 11, staff had been in and turned the bed down and tidied up a little ( replaced shampoo, water bottles etc) it was like the fairies had been in lol

Overall we had a lovely stay and will defiantly be back.

The only thing we would do differently would be to ask for a room facing the front, we got one on the back and although it was fine, the room was very hot and we had to sleep with the windows open, but unfortunately the fans from the kitchen were noisy. ( thank heavens for earplugs)

This hotel is defiantly a 4 stars, a little worn in places but still very nice.
Thank you for a lovely stay, keep up the good work.

p.s loved the badger! great touch.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a table for evening meal when you book your room. Ask for a room on the front.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your feedback following your September visit to us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I’m glad you enjoyed the beds, we have recently changed all the beds and it’s nice to receive such feedback. I’m sorry you felt your treatment was cut short, I have briefed the team to ensure the full 30 minutes of treatment are given to every guest.

UK
Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel looks magnificent as you drive towards it and is in a beautiful setting. The room was well furnished and equipped but as some have already pointed out is looking a little worn in places. The room had a window looking out on to the road which was very close but no net curtain or blind , could have done with a little more privacy. The disappointing part was the food. The chef is trying hard to present everything in a stylish way but it all looked a bit eighties in style and was lacking in taste. Gnocchi main course was particularly poor . Thankfully the meal was included in our room rate as I would not have liked to pay the £37 set menu price for what we had. Room was very hot at night but bed was comfortable and linen of good quality. I had high hopes for this hotel but felt it didn't live up to expectations especially for a special occasion. ( Don't have the waffles for breakfast if you are hungry, they are on the small side. )

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your feedback following your August visit to us.

I’m sorry we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion, I take your comments on board with regard the breakfast and to the blind in your room.

I was surprised with your view on the food being very eighties; we are a two rosette restaurant which has achieved many awards for the menu offering we provide.

Birmingham
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I had a two night break here for our nieces wedding at the end of August. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and all the rooms appear to be of a high standard. We stayed in a classic double bedroom in the older part of the hotel and found it to have all the facilities that we needed. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. Bathroom a decent size ,with bath /shower easy to use and an excellent choice of toiletries etc provided including the use of bathrobes and slippers . The water temperature in this part of the hotel appears to be a little luke warm at times which was fine for us but another member of the party found it not warm enough to take a bath. However when reported they were immediately given the use of a bath in another room in the hotel. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. The food at breakfast and for the wedding was very good. We didn't eat in the restaurant other than that but apparently others who have eaten there were very impressed. We didn't have time to use the spa due to the wedding celebrations and chose to eat out on the one evening at the Windmill pub which is at the bottom of the lane leading up to the hotel. This also provides excellent food and the drinks are considerably cheaper than the hotel prices, which as you perhaps might expect for a hotel of this type ,are considerably overpriced. e.g £6.50 for a short and mixer, I am sure more would be spent at the bar if more reasonable prices were used. The only other minor improvement that could be made would be in the lighting for the bedrooms. The spotlights in the bedrooms seemed to be not strong enough for the ladies to see properly for their make up etc, so a stronger lighting system would definitely improve matters here. All in all , though we thoroughly enjoyed the stay at a very pleasant well run venue if a little overpriced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your August visit to us.

I was so pleased to read your comments and your title about our friendly staff. Sometimes I think the perception of a country house hotel and can very formal but as you found our team are very attentive and personable. I’m sorry throughout your stay that there was a problem with the water temperature, this has now been resolved but I was glad to read that the issue was dealt with swiftly.

We are currently in the process of changing the lights in the bedrooms to improve the lighting as I agree it needs an enhancement.

Marton
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We recently stayed for one night only, but wished we had booked longer, everything was brilliant, from rooms to food to service we could not fault anything. The views from the hotel where stunning and the ambience was incredible. I would thoroughly recommend to stay at this hotel as the service was second to none.Neil O'Rourke

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your lovely feedback following your August visit to us.

I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel and the service provided; we too wish you could have stayed longer, perhaps next time.

Gordon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Collingham
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
The Bridge Hotel and Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton

Been to Wood Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!