“Memorable, beautiful stay - a very relaxing family holiday”

Melati Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Rooms - We requested a connecting room and the management kindly offered a small discount for the second room. The room we were allocated felt a long way from anything, a good few minutes walk to the restaurants, main pool, reception - which makes me sound lazy, but in the heat with 2 small children, I would have appreciated a room that gave us easier access to the resort facilities. We were told to call for a buggy to transport us around, however bar a couple of occasions when it was raining, we decided it wasn't worth the wait - the offer was appreciated though.

The rooms were clean, attractive and modern... seemed smaller and more basic than I would have expected for the price and rating. That said, the standard facilities were there and if I needed anything I was able to call and request it and they often were able to help (eg. ironing board and iron the day of a wedding!). The main room had an enormous double king size bed, with a day bed. You could sleep a family of 4 in the bed and put another child on the day bed... not that you'd want to squeeze that many in! ;) Large TV and DVD player, which also played CDs, safe, bar fridge with charged mini bar, 'walk in robe' en route to a very large bathroom with huge shower adjoining balcony bathtub (very alfresco!), balcony, cooling, & desk. Daily fresh fruit and water was a nice touch. It just didn't feel as luxurious as I expected. We were allocated a balcony room with a rather uninspiring view, but ended up appreciating it as not being 'in a garden' or with a pool, we didn't have nearly as many mosquito issues as some of our friends in other rooms. We had a visit from a gecko one evening, to the great delight of the children! Without a washing machine I got housekeeping to do some laundry for us one day, and was very impressed with the clothes that came back, and the price wasn't too bad, nothing like the rates in most 5* resorts.

Staff - were delightful. Always well mannered, polite, friendly and welcoming (especially to the children!). Very happy to help where they could. Always smiling, always neatly presented, always professional but relaxed.

Pools - are lovely. The main beach infinity bar pool is fabulous - popular, understandably, but incredible views, setting is pleasant, plenty of umbrellas to provide shade, lounges were in high demand. Beach pool was cool and refreshing, and had a bit of shade available, and was next to the kids club (they have a few pool toys available to borrow) kids paddling pool. For the grown ups, the pool bar and restaurant were in practical proximity. It seemed there was no dress code for the restaurant at lunch, with people wearing bathers at their tables... so I guess whatever you and those around you are comfortable with goes? The pool depth is reasonable throughout, pretty much walkable most of the way around.
The Ancient pool was very warm, and quite deep in the middle, but with steps around the edge, the kids could use it under careful supervision! It was, however, not shaded much at all, and possibly because of this didn't seem to be very popular with swimmers. It's in a lovely, tranquil setting, and is where the Buddhist ceremony of the wedding we attended was held.

Beach - wasn't as 'bad' as has been previously reported, but I suspect it has been 'improved' over the last couple of years. Sand was soft and smooth, floor of the ocean wasn't rough within 'walking' distance of the shore. Jetskis for hire from next door, kayaks and a few other bits and pieces available from the resort.

Gardens - are as gorgeous as raved about. Lots of delightful tropical plants and flowers, very well kept - dead leaves and spent flowers are promptly removed. Certainly worth exploring the different areas of the resort to check out the gardens.

Internet - was surprisingly difficult to gain access to via wifi (phone). It may have been our distance from the reception and bars, where wifi internet (and 2 computer stations) was offered freely, but some areas of the resort certainly had far stronger wifi than others. I found myself switching between access points for the odd email check. It would be nice if something like this was consistent and no rooms were disadvantaged.

Spa - my husband and I spoilt ourselves with a 'special offer' couples massage, which was blissful. Price was reasonable, and the setting, experience, massage itself was incredible. He had a Thai massage and I more a relaxation one, and we both walked out feeling like we had melted. Highly recommend the Melati spa!

Kids Club - Was so quiet! The girls were very sweet and friendly, and happy to watch our youngest (2.5) as well as our eldest (nearly 5) while we ate lunch in the nearby restaurant. Plenty of activities seemed to be available, but it didn't seem they were being used... this might be because there didn't seem to be any kids in there for the whole day. DVDs were put on a lot, and we were sent home with a few 'hand made' gel candles that the kids 'made' (?!) and a painting each (these cost us a few dollars each, and while the kids thought they were great, they were a little cumbersome to bring home!) They aren't there to babysit young, un-toilet trained children, however more independent and mature children would get a little fun out of it. Maybe it's more fun when there are more kids around?

Babysitting - We had the kids babysat one evening while we were at a wedding at the resort. The prices were OK.

Events - The wedding we attended at the resort was beautifully planned and orchestrated and certainly a highlight of our time in Thailand for many reasons!!! The bride and groom were well supported and attended to, the Buddhist ceremony was moving and fascinating to witness around the ancient pool, and the anglo service on the beach very beautiful! Flowers were spectacular - like nothing I have seen before. Food was impressive, traditional Thai and presented very nicely, reception venue decorated with a lovely glow, live music was great - though varied a bit so was hard to keep up with the changing pace! Gosh it was hot!!! We had quite a few fans directed on the reception room and the dancing guests, which eased the discomfort! The party stopped promptly at about 1130pm with nowhere to 'finish up' which was a little disappointing for those wanting to continue to chat and enjoy and unable to justify heading into town! It was a fabulous day, and I know the bride and groom were thrilled with the event. From my perspective of it, I would highly recommend Melati for weddings.

Beach Restaurant - - view pha ngan - We had a lot of lovely meals at the beach restaurant, looking over the water, enjoying the atmosphere very much. We over indulged on Pad Thai and highly recommend this delicious dish! We also had dishes served for room service, and found the prices similar to what we'd pay in Australia for take away Thai... but better quality & presentation. Again, I know we could have got meals cheaper in Chaweng, Bophut or Choengmon, but it wasn't practical with kids and transport costs made the commute pointless.

Buffet Breakfast - A very very wide and enjoyable selection of foods from hot 'American', to cereal & pastry continental, pancakes and waffles, Asian noodles and cooked fish, and lots of fruit. Caffe lates were some of the better coffees we had in Thailand.

Location - It does seem a very long way from Chaweng, which didn't worry us, as we didn't go to KS to shop or mingle with crowds. We did go into town one day, which seemed like a relatively expensive undertaking transport-wise, and didn't bother again. As previous reviewers have pointed out, allow for plenty of time to get to and from the airport, into town and a bit of extra cash for taxis as the shuttle bus times aren't very practical and it's not that cheap anyway.

It's in a beautiful, peaceful spot, not hit by crowds of people, no swarms of backpackers on the beach nor hagglers. Views over the water are lovely, and you could easily stay here for a week and not leave the resort and be perfectly happy.

Highly recommend the Pad Thai in the beach restaurant (view pha ngan), dining at the less pretentious & more local restaurant at the smaller resort next door, and "Dining on the Rocks" restaurant at Six Senses for a spectacular night out (arrive before sunset)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank LucyAU
Denis M, Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time reviewing your recent stay with us and we appreciate you sharing your extremely valuable comments with us and others!

It was indeed a great pleasure to have your company and we shall be looking forward to welcome you soon back the The Melati!!

Denis Martin
GGM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed November 6, 2009

My husband, myself & 16month daughter stayed at melati for 7 nights and loved every moment from walk in to check out. The decor, ambience, staff, food, were all amazing and really gave us that lovely thai style feel to it. We were so sad to leave. Even the day spa and massage were really fantastic. Alittle more pricier than outside the resort but it was worth it. The beach is a little bit rocky but thats just being picky if that doesnt bother you then this place is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BeLLinda83
NickBauer, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2009

To whom it may concern,

We are delighted to hear that your goodself and family enjoyed your stay with us.

We shall be looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2009

I am not a regular to luxury resorts and cannot add on the 4 vs 5-star argument but I can certainly tell I was satisfied of my stay at the Melati Beach Resort.

The property is beautiful and well-maintained and the ambiance is quite and relaxing. My room was large, elegant, clean and comfortable. The garden and the common areas tidy and pleasant. Two pools, one in the garden, one by the beach. The beach is just Ok, small and secluded, cozy but it gets claustrophobic after a while.

The Resort is targeted to a crowd of couples and families, and therefore very quite. There is little to no action and for that you will end up heading to other parts in the island. With that come the problems.

The Resort is located in a remote part of the island and for getting around you will be exposed to the offensive rates of taxis and private transportation in the island (there is extensive literature on the subject on the internet). The Resort offers a shuttle bus service to Chaweng - the island's main beach and hangout place - for 100 THB the person, running once in the afternoon and once at night ... not enough. As an alternative they will book for you a private car that, at time of my stay, started at 500 THB (~15US$) one-way for the closer destinations (including Chaweng Beach and the airport). Regular taxis (that are called "metered-taxis" but metered are not) will cost you around 300 THB after negotiation. You will have to pick one, get their telephone number and call them when needed as the Resort will only arrange for you with their vendors. At the end of my vacation, transportation ended up eating up a significant part of my budget.

In summary, in my experience the Melati is a valuable option for those looking for a quality resort in a quite and relaxing environment. I would recommend the place with the heads up that literally sticking your nose outside the Resort will come with significant extra bucks.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gdilieto

Dear gdilieto,

Thank you very much for taking the time reviewing your recent stay in our property!It was a pleasure to have you with us and we are glad to read that you have had such a great experience!

We shall be looking forward to welcome you back very soon!

The Management

Reviewed September 13, 2009

I have to start this review by saying I am quite shocked by the negativity in some of the more recent reviews. I always stay in 4 or 5 star resorts and would definitely class this one as a 5! We had no problems whatsoever. Our room was beautiful and kept to a very high standard by the cleaners. We had a private villa and although we didn't use the private plunge pool that was out of choice and only because the infinity pool was so pleasant. We used the spa facility a lot and yes its not as cheap as the ones you will find off Chaweng beach or Bangkok but you do pay for what you get! The biggest asset this resort has are the staff. Thai people in general are probably the most pleasant and welcoming people in the world however we were blown away with the service levels we experienced at Melati. Special mention goes to the Food and Beverage Manager Alfredo who made our stay extra special as he helped my boyfriend arrange a really romantic surprise for me! This is an example if you need something different you only have to ask. This resort would suit people who want to relax by the pool. There was some evening entertainment arranged which was very good however more active people might get bored with the lack of variety on offer. We had complimentary drinks and food on a Friday night which was excellent as we met some beautiful people who then went on to make our stay even better. This genuinely was a brilliant holiday, the hotel has excellent standards and I highly recommend it and would certainly return if I was going back to Koh Samui

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janieb123
NickBauer, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2009

Our valued guest,

Thank you for your kind words.We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we may be of assistance the day you decide to tie the knot,at our resort.

With kind regards,

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I also have to admit that Melati Hotel does not deserve 5 stars. After staying 2 weeks there I came to the conclusion that it is rather a 4 star hotel. Some points which need to improve from my point of view:
A, Orange juice at breakfast is an instant, chemical one. I believe it should be normal in a tropical country to have natural one.
B, Dry cleaning: After giving the shirt for laundry service we recognized that shirt was washed too hot. Thus it was one size smaller than before.
C, Food was partially served cold or chicken meet was inside raw!
D, Although service staff always tried to do their best, food was ordered wrongly due to lack of english skills
E, Old bed sheets: Bed sheets were partially torn
F, Air Conditioning: No remote control available, which is annoying if you want to adjust temperature during the night
G, Beach: Small, with stones, partially broken glas

Positive comments: Operational staff always tried to improve/help, very friendly towards children, food is tasty.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Wumpsi

Our valued guest,

Thank you for your valubale comments.All have since been addressed with the leadership team to improve on standards.

Looking forward to your return visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stayed here for 5 nights in deluxe room on 2nd floor.
Good things of this resort;
1 Beautiful garden which is not done too much of making. It seemed to me that their concept or intention of the garden was well expressed and kept.
2 Staffs who face and talk to you were very friendly and eager to help and please you. No offence, but I always expect Thai people are, though hardworking and sincere, yet 'take it easy' natured. That is not a bad thing if 'take it easy' does not go as far as lateness, slowliness or unhelpfulness when you are in need. Here, there is no worry. They are keen to help and arrange things they predict we are going to need and they work very quickly when they think we are in hurry. Hardworking and hospitality get together yet creating slow, relaxing and friendly atmosphere. This is the reason I love to visit resort in Thailand.
Restaurant and bar staffs, fitness center and kids club staffs, front desk and guest service staffs, etc. those front line people are great. I have read some reviews made about stays in year 2008 on this site reffering staff's probrem of low English ability or vaguely replied answers. Those unhelpfulness has been improved, I think.
3 Kids club is very welcoming. Maybe because it is located right in front of the main pool and always open to every kids with or without reservation, we could readily use it, it was like just playing with others we get known each other here. This may be said another friendly aspect of this resort.
4 Outdoor bath tub on the balcony. That was relaxing and cosy. As a standard Japanese bath lover, even at very high end hotel or resort I often do not feel very much like taking a bath, here I found one that is great.
5 The infinity pool well set to mix with scenary of the sea.

From what I did;
1.We joined a short bycle tour, one of activities the resort offers. It takes you to nearby local temple, Big Buddah and local market. With a bit of going up and down a hill, good short exercise and interesting bit of getting to know about local life it was. 4 min. to first temple, then 4 min. to 'Big Budha', then 2 min. to the local market. You may try this in the early timing of your stay, then you would know what are there near the resort.
2.Restaurant.
We ventured a restaurant on the beach, which is next door to this resort. That place seemed very expensive for local standard (ofcourse cheaper than hotel).
But you can forget it. The dishes were very good. Do not hesitate to try some seafood which does not show price on the menu list, that exceeded my expectation so much. They certainly know the best way of cooking those local ingredients. In my opinion, I must say it is better than restaurant in the resort about sea food we had. We ate BBQed white snapper at both the restaurants. Service, bread, salad with various dressings... those things are good at hotel ofcourse, but sea food (BBQ king lobster and white snapper we had at hotel restaurant) were with earthy taste/smell........And king lobster was not a cheap thing at all. Though service staff was very kind and helpful, but still, that was our last night in Samui, I must say it was a bit disapointing. Was it a matter of freshness or may be use of seasonings?
I think we should not have tried sea food there indivisually or without reservation. In villa BBQ which is held with reservation or sea food BBQ promotion night at that restaurant should have been better. To get fresh things, you need to go somewhere crowded with lots of diners, or go to use the restaurant with reservation like in villa BBQ, or go on the sea foood BBQ promotion night as other review says it was good. Then I think we could have got something worth spending a lot.
Well, pizzas were good. We enjoyed them several times at poolside. They bake in a oven for pizza right beside the pool.
3They had complementary cocktail party on Friday evening before dawn near the beach and pool. It was nice to share some time with other guests, the manager, and staffs. Staffs also had some drinks and snacks with us. So relaxing and Nice!
Oh, for your information, majority of the guests seemed to be from Europe. German and French speaking population seemed to be the most. And there were lots of kids.
4 The resort has a tour desk. There I found they arrange 1 day trip to AnThong National Marine Park. One of the tour they offer use the boat of 'Blue Seahawk tour'. That happenned to be the same boat as I booked before I left Japan through other agency via its web page. The boat was clean and new, service was not bad, tour was organized enough. It is about 300B cheaper per an adult to book via the web site by yourself (koh sami tours .com, I used) ofcourse, but you have to fuss about sending credit card certification document by e-mail or fax. That is your choice either way to book this 1day tour.

Probrems I got;
House keeping and room, as I expected my stay in the so called '5 star' hotel in Thai standard. I do not have any intention to fault this resort. Overall I loved this place very much and spent relaxing and wonderful days. I hope my coments might do some good for their improvement and I am sure they are able to do it.
1.Cleaning
The room was basically clean enough but I must coment for them to scratch the level of self-claiming '5 stars'. Our room was clean enough except under the beds. I could walk on my bear foot like home in Japan. Our bath tub is not cleaned everyday. Even just watering away the remaining bath solt did not seem to be done. May be cleaned ever other day. Am I expect too much as I am a bath-loving Japanese?
On the day of arrival I found a stain on the toilet porcelin when I raised o-shaped sitting. That was disgusting. I just wiped it with a sheet of wet toilet paper. It was cleaned just by a wipe. After that day, toilet were cleaned enough, so that might be done somebady ignorant.
2.Amenities
On the day of our arrival, they forgot to prepare in-room slippers. I stayed a night without slipper and got my feet cold until tomorrow I realized there must be slippers to be provided in '5 stars'. I thoght that happened only by mistake. But... they missed to provide/refill one or two amenities everyday, such as towels(even after turn down service) , bath robe, soap, bath salt and cotton sheets. Well, I asked them ofcourse, and things I needed were delivered soon. Oh, towels they provided were very worn out . Sometimes, surprisingly worn out.
It seemed that house keeping people were a bit confused about what they need to do for their daily services and turn down services? There might be some kind of management probrems( and a bit of training about cleaning toilet!)
3.Noise
Beware, you can hear the next door very well. Deluxe rooms on the 2nd floor are designed to connect 2side-by-side-rooms. There is a door in the room locked usually but open when you use them as conecting-rooms. Through this door you can hear the voices and sound of movements and tv of the next door sooooo well! First 2 nights we happened to have very noisy company of next door. Kids of small age and the father shouted all the time (even normal conversation was in loud voice, too). In the dead of mid-night (or very early morning?) parents were arguing loudly. Even normal talk can get through this door or wall, you can't imagine how it was like to hear shouting through a night. I think those people were a bit crazy and exceptional, but there still be a probrem of the door, wall or whatever.

Whoooo, that was a long review. It seems a bit checky I am. But I certainly recomend this resort who like to spend most of the time in the resort pool and no need of night life. Enjoy 'Thai' resort here!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tthd874

Our valued guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.It is through valuable comments like yours that we can further streamline our efforts in improving our standard of services.

Looking very much forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

Reviewed August 23, 2009

The only good thing about the hotel is the size of the rooms if you stay in one of the family suites. The hotel grounds are poorly maintained; weeds everywhere, stagnant water with brown algae in the ponds, mosquitos so thick you cannot sit outside of your room in the sala and enjoy your secluded dipping pool. Dirty glasses in the bathroom did not impress. The food was awful and they play annoying old pop songs from the 1980"s. There were no lounge chairs at the pool or on the beach after 10:30am. The beach towels were ripped and thin. We left after one night and went to the Six Senses which was bliss.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MWFNewYork

Our valued guest,

Thank you for the time taken to share your feedback with us.All shortcomings have since been addressed with the leadership team to further improve our service levels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the not too distant future.

With kind regards,