“ruined honeymoon”

Melati Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed October 10, 2012

my husband and i stayed here for 5 nights as part of our honeymoon in sept 12. The hotel itself is in a poor location as you need to get a taxi to get into the town. the hotel have their own taxis and therefore rip you off as they dont phone a normal taxi. the resort is very expensive and definately not 5 star. our honeymoon was ruined as in the 5 nights we stayed there we had to move room 6 times, we coudn't relax and constantly had to pack our bags. the reception staff tried their best and were helpful however it did not compensate for the hassle we had to go through on what was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime. the staff in the sea view restaurant were very unattentive and i felt like everything was a real bother to them. the breakfast in the morning was terrible as everything was infested with flys and they had nothing in place to get rid of them.
when we arrived we were told that our room had been overbooked and they would have to downgrade us for one night but then they would upgrade us for the remaining 4 nights, they also gave us a complimentary massage as compensation so we accepted this. when we got to the room it was nice,there was a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for us and they had decorated our bed with flowers saying happy honeymoon so we were very happy at the effort they had made. my husband went to run a bath in the outdoor bath but it was getting dark and the light in the bath was not working, we called reception and they sent someone to fix it, we had to wait around 2 hours with some man in our room fixing the bath.....great start!
when we moved to the upgraded room the following day, it seemed ok until i went over to the tea/ccoffee making facilities and it was crawling with ants, later we found cockroaches and gekkos and more ants in the room. i understand that you cant stop nature but i think in a 5 star hotel the rooms should be sealed properly, there was gaps as wide as my 2 fingers between the floor and the door and at the sides of the door massive gaps between the door and the wall so obviously anything that wanted to get in could do very easily. the headboard are all wooden and there was ants all around it too!! disgusting.
we complained the next day and i asked for our money back so i could book another hotel but they couldnt do this as we booked through an agent so we asked to be moved back to the downgraded room as at least it was cleaner, they apologised and said there would be a deep clean done in the next room and gave us a meal voucher etc. when we went back to the old room it seemed fine until i was sitting on the bed and seen something on the wall between the bed and bedside table which looked like a wire, when i touched it, some of it broke away......it was a termite tunnel!! called housekeeping and they just swept it away.....so much for their deep clean, about an hour later there was lots of noise coming from behind the headboard (apparantly millions of termites bang heads to make noise when their tunnel has been touched) so we rand up and asked to be moved AGAIN. this was now 12.30 at night, the room was even worse than the previous room with ants, this one had giant ants and even larger gaps in the building, the ceiling above bed had a ledge to which there was a couple of gekkos hiding.....( something you dont want above where u are sleeping) so i said i was not staying, they moved us to another room with the exact same layout and said there was nothing else available, my husband had to phone up at 3.30am to come and kill 2 more gekkos above our bed, we got hardly any sleep and at this point i was fuming. the next day i asked to speak to the manager again and asked to be moved again, so we got moved again to a basic room, this time there was a shutter outside broken to which anyone could have gained access and also there was some stains on the bedsheets so we had to ring to get these problems rectified.
all in all i would not recommend it, we paid 200 pounds per night and definately expected alot more, a honeymoon is something u should want to remember but we will remember this for the wrong reasons!! we spent most of our time trying to get rooms sorted and moving rooms and got hardly any sleep, so we couldnt even enjoy it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mcc20
Melati_Samui, General Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear mcc20,

First and foremost I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. It truly seems to me that this is a case of Murphy’s Law. Everything that could go wrong did.

Please allow me to address some of the issues:

Our location is well advertised and therefore comes as little surprise to our guests. It is in fact one of our biggest assets and guests select us because of it. Nevertheless, we do appreciate our guests’ need to move about and explore which is why our reception personnel is available anytime to meet requests for a meter taxi.

The prices of our hotel transportation are reasonable given the quality of the cars and drivers. Additionally, shuttles to town run three times a day at a preferential rate.

We were very saddened that you were not satisfied with your rooms and for that, we deeply apologize. We have taken note of your comments and will follow up and improve. We are currently touching up all of our rooms to keep them in their usual pristine conditions.

Allow me to make a small correction regarding your relocation as our records indicate that you were relocated 4 times not 6 as claimed. I do not wish to trivialize your distress, but must point out that our management worked with you relentlessly and offered compensation which was accepted. Consequently, we feel your account is not a fair representation of the situation that occurred.

Lastly, while we empathize with your animosity towards geckos and other insects, they are native to a subtropical climate and are to be expected.

Having said that I would like to thank you for expressing your dissatisfaction and we are taking this very seriously and establishing corrective measures.

I do hope that we can convince you to return to Melati and we would be privileged to have another opportunity to show the real Melati to you.

Daniel G. Fuchs
Group General Manager
Melati Beach Resort & Spa
Chaweng Regent Beach Resort

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just come back from a 7 night stay at Melati which we thoroughly enjoyed.

It has a lovely beach, with clear water (although some rocks) with umbrellas and lie lows. Main pool has a lovely vista looking out at Koh Phangan.

Breakfast has a good spread of Western food including a juice bar. If you stay over 7 days you will probably experience BBQ on beach night (which features a band) and complimentary cocktail night put on by management.

Kids club best suited to young children although their are some activities that might suit 8 year old and above.

Gym is o.k. although is not quite the best gym on the island as their promotional material claims.

Only disappointing thing was the steam room. It is in the Spa and you need to pay to use. In our travels throughout Asia, we have not seen this before in a Resort of this standard.

As per other comments, it is true that the resort is remote. To get to restaurants outside Resort requires taxi to and from....which is about 15mins in either direction. On this point, if you happen to be in Koh Samui on a Friday make your way to the night markets at the Fishermans village, Bohput. Lots of good quality markets, great food, restaurants and very cheap cocktails on the street...only $2 AUS. Make sure you negotiate your taxi fair in advance before travelling back to the Hotel as some drivers will try and rip you off.

The Thai Restaurant in the Hotel is excellent and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: If you can afford a Pool villa it is well worth the money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 236solas
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at this resort in June 2012, what a great place.
The food, service, pools and rooms are exceptional.
Has a swim up bar (bonus).
We would stay there again anytime, it is well and truly worth the
money and a fantastic 5 star resort.
The staff are exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank shonkyone
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear shonkyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. The Team will be thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of everyone, I would like to express our sincere appreciation for your patronage. We cannot wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here for a week and really loved the place, staff in all areas really went out their way to make you feel welcome, we ate in all the resort restaurants and found the food to be very good although quite expensive for Thailand, then again it is a five star resort. Three happy hours a day with some very good cocktails available. Fisherman's village is near by and well worth a visit but you will need to take a taxi for 400 BHt. We hired a car for a few days and toured the Island works out cheaper than booking tours.
Overall a great place to stay and we would recommend it and would certainly stay again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eckbarnes

Dear eckbarnes,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. The Team and I are absolutely thrilled that we met and exceeded your expectations.

Please trust that your kind comments will be shared with the Team. Once again we thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I thought I would leave a little time on my recent review to try and be as objective as possible on The Melati Resort.
We visited here in late June 2012 and were initially pleasantly surprised as we were offered an upgrade from a pool villa to a deluxe pool villa on arrival.

The downside was it was only for the first day and then we would be moved to our originally booked accommodation. I asked if we liked or preferred to stay in the upgraded room what the cost would be. I was told that the room had already been booked and would be unavailable to keep. This confirmed my suspicions that we were only being upgraded because of the booking issues the Melati seems to suffer from.
They have an unbelievably early check out time of 8:30am which may have people taking a late checkout or having to hire the room out for another day.

You would think that having the initial upgrade was a good thing but it meant that we could not fully unpack and relax then the following day someone had to be available at our room between 1 – 2pm to be re-checked into another room.
This restricted us to the hotel for a full day and was way more hassle than it was worth. I would bet our pre-booked room had been taken for an extra day because of the check out time and the ‘upgrade’ was just the hotel trying to cope with the over booking.

The hotel itself is within a wonderful landscaped resort and the staff more than helpful and you are always met with a smile wherever you go. The beach at the bottom area of the hotel is comfortable and sandy with large timber double parasols which provide for a very nice area to relax in. The pool area beds can be taken quite early.

Unfortunately during a freak gust of wind I had one of these fore mentioned parasols break the chain securing it to the concrete block it was fitted to and collapse across my face. It took a couple of guys on the beach to lift it off me and my face was pretty badly cut and grazed. My sunglasses saved my nose being broken but a couple of inches lower and it would have been a new set of teeth I would have been looking at!
God forbid it had been a honeymoon bride or worse a child. As it was I just had the downside of the rest of my holiday pics with a badly marked face.
Hats off to the hotel duty manager Ivan who was on the scene in miutes with a medikit and ice pack.
I was offered a doctor if I felt any worse or started suffering headaches but it was another wasted day lying in my room with an ice pack on my face for the next several hours.
I did also receive a letter of apology from the hotel manager and a fruit basket delivered to my room the following day stating that they would take precautions to ensure nothing like that could happen again.

As pretty as the Melati is as a resort you will want to get out and see a bit of Samui .
Be aware that the hotel is in a secluded area of the island and the taxis from the hotel into Chewang, Bohput or Lamai can be expensive because of this.

Breakfast is okay but nothing great for a resort in this price range.
Dinner on the other hand is outstanding in the main hotel restaurant and the food and service is up there with any five star restaurant I’ve ever eaten in anywhere in the world.
If you are staying at the Melati you have to treat yourself to at least one night at the main restaurant. It really is that good.

There is a small restaurant next to the hotel (not part of the hotel) on the beach which serves decent food and drinks at a fraction of the hotels costs and we used it several times.

Would I recommend the Melati?...well, yes actually I would. Apart from all the downsides I suffered when there if they get there booking and way too early check out time sorted it is a pretty nice hotel to relax at. If however you wanted to use it as a place for touring around sight seeing I may look at somewhere closer to the main area’s on the island.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fraser G
Melati_Samui, Public Relations Manager at Melati Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Fraser G,

Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. Despite the misfortunes you endured, we are pleased to see that you enjoyed the overall feel of our resort. On behalf of the Team, allow me to present my sincere apologies for the incident and hope that you are fully recovered.

Please trust that we will use this instance to ensure our facilities are completely safe in all weather conditions and keep doing our utmost for the satisfaction of our guests.

We will convey your regards to Ivan and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Again many thanks for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Firstly,need to say it is remote - nowhere within reasonable walking distance - so that said when you are inside the resort it is breathtaking beautiful, imaginatively designed with spectacular gardens and waterfalls running from reception to beach. The rooms/villas are located in the gardens each with its own private, gated entrance, and furnished to a high standard, very comfortable and modern with large fashionable bathrooms.
The resort is located on a private beach, there are two swimming pools - infinity overlooking the beach and sea and sanctuary in the gardens creating a more reflective atmosphere.
All the staff we met were very friendly, helpful and added an extra quality to our experience.
Breakfast overlooking the sea is so good and the Thai restaurant is of a particularly high standard in terms of ambiance and quality of food.
My wife indulged (enthusiastically) herself at the spa whilst I ran a few miles in the very well equipped gym.
We've been visiting the enchanting island of Samui since 1982 - Melati Resort is a rather special addition to attractions.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear manorom,

Thank you for your high praise of our gardens and facilities. Our dedicated Team of gardeners takes great pride in caring for our tropical landscapes and will surely appreciate your wonderful comments.

Once again we thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I are excepting our 1st child and we wanted a holiday before bubs arrived.
We were blown away with the service and attention to detail from arrival to when we left. The team from reception, F&B and house keeping where amazing. There was never a problem that there was not a solution for.
The best is buy the Platinum card for 50,000 Baht and getting 65,000 Baht which you can use every where in the resort from the bar, restaurants, transport and Spa.
The pool was amazing and the morning activities were fun and enjoyable including yoga, stretching and even Muay Thai.
Our room had a private pool which was a lovely touch for the complete experience.
While we were in Koh Samui the fine dinning experience was happening we had the chance to sample some the most delicious Degustation menus.
We would strongly recommend Melati beach resort and spa for the place for relaxing holiday location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear IMtraveller12,

Thank you for such a wonderful review, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Melati Beach Resort & Spa. Your high praise will be conveyed to all concerned departments.

The Team joins me in wishing you well during the pregnancy and hope to welcome you again soon with a new addition to your beautiful family.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to share your experience.