“Budget hotel close to the beach, a place to lay your head.”
Review of Cocooning Hotel

Cocooning Hotel
Ranked #75 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed April 29, 2014

First of all, its important to note we paid around $45 for a night here. With that in mind, you cant complain much. If you are looking for a hotel close to the beach and a place to lay your head then this hotel will suit your needs.

The hotel is just behind the beach, you have access to another hotels pool which was nice. The rooms are basic but do their job. Aircon was ok, balcony was nice but next to a building site so veiws werent great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed for a few nights. I found the owners very pleasant, friendly and helpful. They both had excellent knowledge and information about the local area and island-wide attractions. However, the rooms were on the small size and well used, (my a/c unit barely worked, even though it was re-gassed while I was there). Annoyingly, the owners closed the common area of the hotel soon after you had breakfast, so the only place to lounge around was back in your room. Based on this experience, its more a B&B than a hotel, although if that's what you want, its in a good location and inexpensive for the area.

Room Tip: The downstairs room tend to be cooler, but have little or no view. Its the opposite for upstairs.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Agreeing with all previous good reviews me and my girlfriend were surprised by the amazing genuine hospitality that Dave, Therese and of course unique Harvey :) provide us throughout our stay, we felt welcomed and on every single advice they gave us it was accurate and with the most kindness; not to mention the value for money, the room has everything you need and on my opinion this hotel should have more than 3 stars. I will sincerely recommend Cocooning to ANY type of traveller ; believe me you wont regret it .
Many thanks guys hope to see you back again

Tons of love and wish you all the best !

Santi & Maria

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Santiago J
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Dave and Therese (the owners of Cocooning) are 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet in your life.

Their child (Harvey) is the happiest baby in the world - Always laughing and clapping and playing even while teething - he should be called Happy Harvey

Upon arrival Dave (English) & Therese (Sweedish with and English accent!) welcomed us like long lost friends. We were shown the room and we were really excited because:

It had Style
It had Air Con
It had a Good TV
It had super fast Wi-Fi
The hotel was right next to the beach
The hotel is right in the fantastic area of Fishermans Village which is 100,000,000 times nicer than Chaweng (the biggest town on the island) The great thing about Fishermans Village is that it's quiet during the week, without being too quiet, and every Friday there is a walking street market. The whole island flocks to Fishermans Village for this market and it's a really great buzz to be a part of. Food, Drink, Clothes, Entertainment, and more all along the street.

When we arrived on Koh Samui we happened to arrive on the night of the Nikki Beach White Party (Once a year event) Dave & Therese told us that they couldn't go & they ave us their VIP tickets saving us about AU$70+. This was all within half an hour of meeting us.

On Sunday they invited us to Beach Republic to eat with them and their friends who instantly became our friends. We were allowed to join "the locals" table which saved us even more money (we weren't flashing the cash on this trip at all)

The rest of the time in Cocooning went similar to the first few days. The owners couldn't do enough for us and told us where and what was worth seeing / doing during our stay on Koh Samui. There was always a great community of friends, family, and travellers downstairs at the bar / pool / restaurant area so we were never bored or lonely. The swimming pool is small, but it is exactly what you need - a little pool to cool off in when it's hot - and the owners told us straight away that the hotel across the road (20 second walk) didn't mind visitors from other hotels using that pool also.

Before we arrived at Cocooning Hotel we stayed in a "4 star" hotel in Phuket which was 3 times more expensive, and it was very disappointing. So my wife and I were really not expecting much from Cocooning. It rates itself as "3 star" accommodation so we were thinking that it would be a step down. We were about to stay in Cocooning for 18 nights and we were trying to brace ourselves for the worst so that we wouldn't get disappointed if it ended up being horrible. We were saying stuff like "Look let's just roll with it and if it's horrible we can always just leave early and find somewhere else". How wrong we were.

By the end of the 18 nights in Cocooning we were again consoling each other about the next part of our trip saying "Look nothing can live up to the time we have spent here in Cocooning, so let's not have expectations for the next place, because it can't live up to our time here."

We weren't even here 3 full weeks, but it felt like home. There wasn't enough hours in the day to do everything we hoped to do here (and that's coming from someone who gets bored easily) I am writing this as we pack our bags to leave and I have to say I am sad to do so. We got in such a good groove here, which was 99% due to the fantastic friendly owners of Cocooning - Dave & Therese. We are already thinking of extending our time in Thailand and coming back.

We recommend this accommodation to everyone!

Backpackers
Couples
Young Travellers
Older Couples
Solo Travellers

Honestly I don't know how Cocooning has any negative reviews at all. For what you pay - it's 5 star in my book.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark M
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Cocooning is a small establishment at the quieter end of fishermans village, albeit you are on the walking road in 2 minutes and the beach is less than a minute away. I have stayed in the top ten hots in Bangkok over the past year and they all miss what Dave & Theressa do not, customer service. A lovely couple who are always smiling and have all the information to hand that you may need. For the ridiculously low prices they charge for the rooms I'm afraid you'd have to be a real snob or naturally picky person to have any complaint at all, the beds are comfy, bathrooms more than ample, good television service, air con & fans. I cannot recommend cocooning highly enough if you are wishing to kick back and relax for a few days, Definitely my number 1 destination on Samui and I look forward to many more visits.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Mrmrmatt
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Extremely friendly place! I had a late night flight arrival and the hotel arranged for a convenient pick-up which went smoothly. Despite arriving very late at night I was greeted upon arrival by the hotel owner who was enthusiastic and very helpful.
Had one of the best sleeps I've had in SE Asia, followed by a delicious full English breakfast (real sausages & ham!)
I found the hotel to be fantastic value for the price. They were also very helpful in arranging my onward transfer to Koh Tao.
I will stay here again next time I'm in Samui for sure!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank fishy_Andres
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The staff are amazingly friendly, welcoming and helpful, and we got a friendly welcome at the airport and the room for a really cheap rate....but somehow we knew it was too good to be true and there must be a catch....
Yup...our room on the lower level was not good at all. It looked out at a patio with rusty furniture and a construction site, and the room itself smelled similar to a high school locker room. There was no mini bar as described on the internet, only water and the bathroom was moldy and needing new grout work and a good scrubbing. The room itself was not particularly clean either. We figure we got a 'special' rate as someone's got to fill this room, and it was the last available this night.
We figure the photos are of the nicer, upper level rooms and that they must be better.
Also to be fair, the owners husband was off sick and she had to leave after we arrived to tend to a young infant leaving no one to try and help rectify things....we were checking out the next morning anyways.
The 'pool' was under repair but wouldn't have used it anyway as it is a tiny thing wedged between two buildings and the construction site that they've tried to hide behind some strategically placed bushes...it would do better to turn the pool into a fish habitat.
The location of the hotel is great, minus the construction site next door, and is across from the beach and a short walk to the heart of the fisherman village.
I suppose if you want a deal, try your luck at getting a nicer room, and the owners are indeed, lovely and hospitable.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower level room which is closest to the 'pool' and reception. Moldy, stinky and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2RoamingGnomies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Chaulty Towers
#115 of 185 in Bophut
Samui Heritage Resort
Samui Heritage Resort
#84 of 185 in Bophut

Been to Cocooning Hotel? Share your experiences!