Dave and Therese (the owners of Cocooning) are 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet in your life.
Their child (Harvey) is the happiest baby in the world - Always laughing and clapping and playing even while teething - he should be called Happy Harvey
Upon arrival Dave (English) & Therese (Sweedish with and English accent!) welcomed us like long lost friends. We were shown the room and we were really excited because:
It had Style
It had Air Con
It had a Good TV
It had super fast Wi-Fi
The hotel was right next to the beach
The hotel is right in the fantastic area of Fishermans Village which is 100,000,000 times nicer than Chaweng (the biggest town on the island) The great thing about Fishermans Village is that it's quiet during the week, without being too quiet, and every Friday there is a walking street market. The whole island flocks to Fishermans Village for this market and it's a really great buzz to be a part of. Food, Drink, Clothes, Entertainment, and more all along the street.
When we arrived on Koh Samui we happened to arrive on the night of the Nikki Beach White Party (Once a year event) Dave & Therese told us that they couldn't go & they ave us their VIP tickets saving us about AU$70+. This was all within half an hour of meeting us.
On Sunday they invited us to Beach Republic to eat with them and their friends who instantly became our friends. We were allowed to join "the locals" table which saved us even more money (we weren't flashing the cash on this trip at all)
The rest of the time in Cocooning went similar to the first few days. The owners couldn't do enough for us and told us where and what was worth seeing / doing during our stay on Koh Samui. There was always a great community of friends, family, and travellers downstairs at the bar / pool / restaurant area so we were never bored or lonely. The swimming pool is small, but it is exactly what you need - a little pool to cool off in when it's hot - and the owners told us straight away that the hotel across the road (20 second walk) didn't mind visitors from other hotels using that pool also.
Before we arrived at Cocooning Hotel we stayed in a "4 star" hotel in Phuket which was 3 times more expensive, and it was very disappointing. So my wife and I were really not expecting much from Cocooning. It rates itself as "3 star" accommodation so we were thinking that it would be a step down. We were about to stay in Cocooning for 18 nights and we were trying to brace ourselves for the worst so that we wouldn't get disappointed if it ended up being horrible. We were saying stuff like "Look let's just roll with it and if it's horrible we can always just leave early and find somewhere else". How wrong we were.
By the end of the 18 nights in Cocooning we were again consoling each other about the next part of our trip saying "Look nothing can live up to the time we have spent here in Cocooning, so let's not have expectations for the next place, because it can't live up to our time here."
We weren't even here 3 full weeks, but it felt like home. There wasn't enough hours in the day to do everything we hoped to do here (and that's coming from someone who gets bored easily) I am writing this as we pack our bags to leave and I have to say I am sad to do so. We got in such a good groove here, which was 99% due to the fantastic friendly owners of Cocooning - Dave & Therese. We are already thinking of extending our time in Thailand and coming back.
We recommend this accommodation to everyone!
Honestly I don't know how Cocooning has any negative reviews at all. For what you pay - it's 5 star in my book.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just minutes walk from the beach and perfectly located at the quiet end of the villages many shops and restaurants, Cocooning is a tranquil paradise and a great place to enjoy Samui from. Great value for money, the hotel is very competitively priced for the area and perfect for couples, families and singles of all ages. You will be guaranteed a warm welcome from Dave and Therese, the hotel's owners, who are by far the hotel's biggest asset. The dynamic duo from England and Sweden have lived in Thailand for over 10 years, offering a wealth of experience and local knowledge. They started their journey on Koh Tao where they met and worked in the diving industry, until they set up their first business together running a very successful beachside bar and restaurant. They were later married and looking for a new adventure with the imminent arrival of their first child, set their sights on Cocooning in 2012. They instantly added something special to the hotel and their little personal touches can be seen throughout. Service is most definitely with a smile and guests are made to feel instantly at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Cocooning Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocooning Hotel And Tapas Bar
- Cocooning Hotel Tapas Bar
- Cocooning Hotel Koh Samui
- Cocooning Hotel Ko Samui/Bophut