“Wonderful!”

Ranked #49 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
New York City
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This place was soo lovely. everything about it was great. The owner is a very nice english woman named lucy who was super friendly and helpful with anything we needed. The staff were also very friendly. The location is great. It is not as loud or crazy as Chaweng at all. It really is a romantic, walkable area to be in with great restaurants. The rooms were a good size, very clean, safe, and all with great ocean views. We got a ground level room and loved being able to wake up and walk right onto the private porch or beach. They also have free wi-fi which was helpful, and took care of taking us to and from the airport.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RubMyBuddha23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hungarian first
Chippenham
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Baan Bophut boasts a beautiful location with good service, excellent food and a warm welcome. The staff are helpful, the mood relaxed and the beach bar a perfect setting for a sundowner!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
The Lake District, North West England
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Just because I am incredibly nosey I had a read through the other reviews on this Hotel before i wrote anything, I am wondering if 1 or 2 of the review writers (the negative ones) actually stayed in this spacious, immaculately clean and very private hotel??
I don't normally bother with writing reviews on these kind of sites but I wanted anyone else visiting Ko Samui to enjoy their stay as much as I did.
I stayed at the Baan Bophut Beach Hotel for a total of eight nights and was made to feel very welcome, relaxed and taken care of so much that for most of my time there I had no idea what day or time it was, I was in a state of total relaxation.
Granted, I was in very good company with my husband and approx 40 other guests who were part of the wedding party but aside from that the cleanliness, tasty food, warm and accommodating staff, cheap beer and breath taking views from our beautiful bedroom made the holiday unforgettable and one of the best I have ever had.
The wedding was organised by the hotel owner and her hardworking staff, it was planned and presented perfectly- I highly recommend it to any couple looking for the most perfect wedding destination- I have pictures to prove it! The fireworks and releasing of lit laterns made it even more magical, all organised by the hotel.
Although there are really nice restaurants and bars dotted around the village there really is no need to leave this hotel if you didn't want to, they cater for everything and make the most amazing cocktails!
The owner/staff booked taxi's, day trips and restaurants as well as calling the travel agent to change our flights to a later time!
My husband was very also very impressed with how good the Air conditioning was!
The rooms were cleaned and beds changed daily along with everything you need in the bathroom.which i have only ever seen in fancy city hotels.
In a nutshell if you are looking for relaxation, great food and excellent service and and an infinity pool!! then this is the place to stay. Enjoy!

Dubai
Reviewed August 21, 2009

This is a great little hideaway hotel in the sleepy fisherman's village part of Koh Samui. We stayed there spec ifically for the quiet and relaxed atmosphere which is exactly what we got. The rooms are very clean and well maintened and nicely decorated. The beach is only a few steps away from your room. There is a nice, clean swimming pool and the bar serves good food from very helpful and friendly staff. One of the few places that serves breakfast from 8 am till 12 noon (ideal if you're on a lazy holiday).
I would definately recommend this place to any traveller.

Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We began our week long visit to Ko Samui at Baan Bophut. We were greeted at the airport by a friendly driver who was all smiles and I was struck by how much better English proficiency was in Ko Samui compared to Bangkok. The hotel itself is a very small affair consisting of 10 rooms or so and we found them to be surprisingly clean, and cute. Actually the first thing I noticed was that they looked exactly like the pictures on their website. The beds were amazingly comfortable and the view was gorgeous although I think most of the hotels in that stretch would have had the same sort of view. Yes the place does not score very high on privacy as the balconies of each room are only separated by a short wall and the sun bathers in the lawn are only a few meters away from the balcony but personally I found this to add to the boutique feel of the place. Since and hotel is quite small it can only house so many guests at one point so it has a very family like atmosphere. Its not like there are a 100 sunbathers staring back at you! And it was kind of nice to step into your balcony in the morning and say hi to your neighbor.
The breakfast included in the Bed & Breakfast package leaves much to the imagination and in hindsight we should have probably booked ourselves on room only basis. Also we found that the kitchen closes quite early but that didn’t bother us at all because the “Carpe diem” café across the street was open till the wee hours of the morning and served great coffee and snacks in a fabulous atmosphere.
We loved the location of the hotel as it was peaceful and quiet but only minutes away from the many of the restaurants and nightspots in Bophut , recommended in the guide. In fact so many pubs, cafes, and massage places were just down the street.
If there is one thing the hotel scores best on, it is service. Lucy and her staff were so friendly and always willing to help. For any place we wanted to visit or any activity we liked to do the hotel staff would go out of their way to call, find out details, make reservations, find other options etc.. Every time we left the hotel someone was there to wave us goodbye and every time we returned someone was always there to welcome us back. We were so impressed with the service.
After 2 nights and 3 days of absolute bliss we left for Chaweng beach and spent the rest of our holiday wishing we never left Bophut.

Englishman in France
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I visited this hotel for the first time in 2006 on personal recommendation (thanks Polly!), revisited on my next opportunity in 2008 and simply had to get back as soon as possible – hence my recent stay at the end of April this year.

For the last year I have been a regular reader of the occasional blogsite at http://baanbophut.blogspot.com. If you read no further but still intend to visit Thailand, bookmark the site. Extremely lucid, highly informative and occasionally witty, the site is maintained by the owner. Even if you choose not to stay at the Baan Bophut, the blog gives a fascinating and impartial insight into Thailand, Samui and island life; IMHO it could/ should be developed into a definitive source of reference. However, I digress.

Deciding to click on the tripadvisor link on the blog for the first time today, I spent a good while browsing the reviews of the hotel (sad, I know, but I live in France, and it is closed for August).
While fully agreeing with the positive reviews about the brilliant beds and bar staff (you can see what I spend my holiday doing!), I also agree that the drawers could be deeper and that the beach in front of the hotel is not for swimming (the swimming beach is about 150 metres walk down the sand to your left). The beach in front of the hotel is to be looked at from the safety of the hotel’s ‘infinity’ pool, cold drink in hand, watching the local fishermen wading waist-deep in the water, casting their hand-held nets.
However, the unjust impression given by the previous review has forced me to put finger to key, with a huge pang of guilt for not having done so sooner.

I know that the hotel intended to close for a couple of weeks in May for annual maintenance, but I can’t believe that they bricked up the small open-ended corridors on each floor or moved the beach fifty metres closer in such a short time.
Claustrophobia, staring sunbathers and dirty floors simply do not figure in the Baan Bophut equation (unless they accidentally checked into the closet, were discovered by a fellow tourist and left a mess on the floor themselves). I really got the impression that they were reviewing a different hotel.

From the foyer up the hotel is of an open design and, like the rooms, spacious, uncluttered, airy and light (check out the recently-introduced 360 degree photo gizmo on their website).
The ex-pat manageress (Lucy) and her staff were unfailingly polite, always greeted us and even remembered our names (after a couple of days practice!).
Barman Tik, Mia on reception, Jom and Mae the waiting staff all deserve special mention, as do the housekeeping girls, whose names I could never remember (even after two weeks practice), but who cleaned our room immaculately each day.

Such a shame that the previous guests did not enjoy themselves as much as myself and family have always done, but everyone is entitled to an opinion (however baffling).

We have never failed to have a fabulous stay, and I will be booking for next April once again, that is a certainty.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I stayed here having read reviews on Tripadvisor and was hugely disappointed. Was expecting a very nice little hotel on the back of what other people had written.

Met at the airport by a very rude driver who hardly spoke to us and didn't even offer to help us with our bags. The room was downstairs and the floor was filthy. Whilst there is certainly a nice view, common to most of Bophut, this was ruined by the total lack of privacy afforded - our view consisted of sunbathers staring right back at us into the room.

There seemed to be very little atmosphere, the inside of the hotel is claustrophobic and, again, was very disappointed. Management were rude or stand-offish - haven't quite worked out which as they did not even bother to say hello to us once, which was strange as the place was not full.There are nicer, more friendly, helpful and cleaner places pretty much next door. I would expect this level of service at a 2* hotel, just about and at least accept that. This hotel does not justify the 3600 Baht it costs (not overly pricey, but pretty expensive for Thailand). Cost not at all the issue, but would have expected a lot more, unless Thailand has turned from "land of the smiles" to one of the more sulky or sullen places. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple