“Bad security, relatively nice place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Waterfront

The Waterfront
Ranked #21 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Bad security, relatively nice place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice clean room & friendly staff but serious security concerns need to be highlighted as BHT5,000 went missing from room safety deposit box during 2h away. Clearly one of staff as would have taken the rest otherwise.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Johnny H
WordsKohSamui, Owner at The Waterfront, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
We were most upset to receive this review as in 9 years we have never had this experience.We have had other reports which were dealt with immediately which I will mention later.This is my account of the day;
1) The guest booked 2 nights only the day before and it was kind of messy as he gave us a c/c number but later he decided to pay cash but we had charged the card.
2) When our son Michael was coming to the hotel the guest asked unusually where he could buy beers at a 7-11.
3) After checking in the guest had a problem with his safe which one of our girls rectified with our master keys which were then returned to my safe in the office where I regularly keep amounts of up to250000 baht and there has never been 1 baht missing.
4) As the guest reported he went out for 2 hours and I was in the office during all that time.I actually left the office as he returned as we crossed on the path.He was carrying quite a big bag of canned beers.Within 15 minutes I received a call alledging that 5000 baht was missing from his safe and that he held our staff responsible.The girl in question has worked here for 8 years without problem and is marrying a British lawyer next year so why and how could she have done this.The keys were in our safe and I was here all the time.I pointed this out to the guest.He said there maybe other ways to get in the safe.Well the only time when all the keys were lost for one customer we had to drill the safe open!
5) Repeatedly the guest insisted I am Finnish and we don't lie.Also he said that don't worry I won't put a review on TA but as you see from the above this was far from the truth!
6) I found it rather strange that the guest decide to check his money so soon after arrival appox 3 hours and of course he was adamant on the amount and he said he had a feeling,strage I thought.
7) The guest was quite adamant, as you see above,that he couldn't make a mistake.We most certainly feel otherwise and to make these serious allegations we find very distasteful and a slur on a staff member of 8 years standing.She is most distessed at the allegation.

To state the obvious we totally refute the guests comments.

We had a similar situation a few years ago when Canadian guests made very similar accusations and again were adamant.they even cancelled their c/c's.They were certain our staff had stolen and it was a very nasty atomesphere.However an hour later thay found all their money locked in their suitcase and also the cancelled credit cards.

We hope that TA will see the facts and hopefully remove the review.

Robin Worden
Co-Owner
The Waterfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

we stayed at the waterfront for two weeks in September, and from begining to end it was one of the most chilled out holidays we've had.
The owners Robin and Sue along with their son Michael and the staff were just wonderful.
Robin and Sue have an excellent rapport with their staff which makes the Waterfront a very friendly, welcoming hotel!!
The hotel rooms and grounds are spotlessly clean and tidy,the breakfast fantastic[I highly recommend the pancakes!!]
The hotel is situated about a three to five minute walk to fishermans village, just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the nightlife, but not too far to find one of the many amazing resturants to eat in.
I would not hesitate to recomend this hotel to anyone.
Thank you Robin,Sue,Michael and staff for making our holiday a pleasure and hopefully see you guys next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We must first thank Robin and Sue and Michael for making our stay so wonderful our room was spotless and it is the personal touch that Sue does so well that make the holiday, breakfast overlooking the sea cooked and presented well by Cookie. All the staff were so accomadating. It was so relaxing and being a small hotel the evenings were often taken by the outside bar talking to other residents The only minus side is the pool size very small and we found to many childrens toys for the pool I am sure lidos and balls in the pool could be stopped, other than that we would recommend this hotel to all our friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are well provided
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David186
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed at the Waterfront Hotel from 1-11 October 2012. When we were booking the stay at a travel agent's in Bangkok, I suggested a week's stay but my partner said let's go for 10 days. I can't tell you how glad I am that we did. While Bangkok is a fascinating city, it is also hot, humid and polluted, so to arrive on Koh Samui was like suddenly finding oneself in Eden. This impression was enhanced when we arrived at the Waterfront Hotel, having been picked up at the airport by Michael, son of Robin and Sue, where we were given a welcome drink before being shown to our room. The view from it was over the pretty garden and the beach, the sea and, in the distance, Koh Phangan. The room was spotless, the beds comfortable, the A/C efficient...Throughout our stay, the staff were uniformly helpful, pleasant and cheerful, probably because it must be a pleasant place to work but also because they all seem to be related in one way or another and to have been there ages; always a good sign. The hotel is situated at the east, quiet end of the long Bo Phut beach but is a short walk, either along the sand or down the street to shops, bars and restaurants - we would recommend Shine, Shades and Charm(great pancakes) to eat and the Emerald Irish pub for a drink. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday in a tranquil setting, The Waterfront and Bo Phut cannot be recommended highly enough. Go and try them for yourself! You'll see it makes sense.

Room Tip: All the rooms would appear to have a view of the sea and the garden but those at the east end of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have to say that our stay in the Waterfront was a most pleasurable experience. Such lovely staff, very charming owners, great location and beautiful surroundings. My fiancée and I specifically did not want a large corporate resort and opted for a family run hotel, which the Waterfront certainly is. We were made to feel so so welcome, no request unanswered, no wish not fulfilled. I would not hesitate in recommending this place to anyone, and i already have recommended it to friends with plans to travel to Koh Samui.

Thanks to Robin & Sue for ensuring that our time in Koh Samui was as enjoyable as it was.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here with my family, it can only be described as fantastic, I have never been so well looked after with out feeling pestered, go again for sure I guess its why so many people go back. The staff were fantastic, friendly helpful and always smiling Sue and Robin were more friends than hosts by the time we left well thats the way it felt. My daughters 18 and 21 just loved it as did my wife and I.

Room Tip: the rooms on the right as you enter are great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for 4 nights recently and loved every minute. The rooms are perfect, and very clean and comfortable. The location is great, in Fisherman's Village, and near some amazing restaurants. Plus it's right on the beach, literally! It is exceptional value for money.

What really makes this place though is the staff. We were lucky enough to meet Khun Raine who was absolutely wonderful. She was chatty, friendly and always helpful, and really made our stay that extra bit special.

If you're looking for a quieter place to stay in Bophut, this is the one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
Baan Bophut Beach Hotel
#37 of 187 in Bophut
Prana Resort Nandana
Prana Resort Nandana
#13 of 187 in Bophut

Been to The Waterfront? Share your experiences!